PDA

View Full Version : Boehner forced to back down on immigration

Warlord
05-23-2013, 01:04 PM
Yes.... looks like the conservatives in the House have got him to do something for once.

The only problem is what is the price...

-
House Speaker John A. Boehner on Thursday flatly ruled out chances of the House passing the Senate’s immigration bill, saying his chamber will debate its own bill instead.

Mr. Boehner and his top GOP lieutenants issued a joint statement that seemed designed to tamp down some of the momentum behind the Senaate bill, which emerged from a Senate committee on a bipartisan 13-5 vote earlier this week, and to stake out a House GOP position.

“While we applaud the progress made by our Senate colleagues, there are numerous ways in which the House will approach the issue differently,” the GOP leaders said in their statement. “The House remains committed to fixing our broken immigration system, but we will not simply take up and accept the bill that is emerging in the Senate if it passes. Rather, through regular order, the House will work its will and produce its own legislation.”

Mr. Boehner is playing a proxy game of political checkers with House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi as a bipartisan gang of lawmakers tries to write a broad immigration deal that would include legal status for illegal immigrants and a rewrite of the legal immigration system.

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/may/23/boehner-house-wont-pass-senate-immigration-bill/#ixzz2U8zw9dwp
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

Christian Liberty
05-23-2013, 01:47 PM
You know: I don't give a crap about this, and I don't understand why anyone does. Let them come in and let them destroy our already destroyed system (Paradox was deliberate.) I'm more worried about the fact that every single senator seems to think that it is acceptable to attack Iran and most of them think its OK to arm Al Qeida and other "minor" issues like that.

Judge Nap is correct on immigration anyway.

JCDenton0451
05-23-2013, 02:48 PM
Yes.... looks like the conservatives in the House have got him to do something for once.

The only problem is what is the price...

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/may/23/boehner-house-wont-pass-senate-immigration-bill/#ixzz2U8zw9dwp
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

There is no price. The truth is conservatives can remove Boehner from his position of a speaker with ease. I suspect they simply threatened him.

Warlord
05-23-2013, 02:51 PM
There is no price. The truth is conservatives can remove Boehner from his position of a speaker with ease. I suspect they simply threatened him.

They can't until the next Congress. Warlord strongly suspects the likes of Bachmann and the dozen others who intended to vote against his rule in January backed out due to securing some promises.

CPUd
05-23-2013, 02:53 PM
http://i.imgur.com/ahxvaOn.gif

JCDenton0451
05-23-2013, 02:55 PM
They can't until the next Congress. Warlord strongly suspects the likes of Bachmann and the dozen others who intended to vote against his rule in January backed out due to securing some promises.

But immigration is such a central issue. A lot more conservatives would be willing to oppose and challenge Boehner on these grounds.

libertygrl
05-23-2013, 02:59 PM
Anyone know if this bill has the National ID attached to it? A few weeks back I heard Schumer pushed for a biometric national ID in the bill. Just curious..

sailingaway
05-23-2013, 03:04 PM
I don't see it as backing down, I see it as trying to slip through a different brand of sell out. Boehner in no way represents the people any more than the gang of 8 does.

sailingaway
05-23-2013, 03:04 PM
Anyone know if this bill has the National ID attached to it? A few weeks back I heard Schumer pushed for a biometric national ID in the bill. Just curious..

The gang of 8 version does, Ron put out a video on it. I don't know if what the House is devising does.

JCDenton0451
05-23-2013, 03:06 PM
Well, if it wasn't, would you support it then?