PDA

View Full Version : Rand Paul Is Right: Republicans Need A Crash Hipster Outreach Program

Mr.NoSmile
05-23-2013, 12:10 PM
Some follow-up from Paul's speech at the New Hampshire GOP. Most of it deals with the term 'hipster' itself, but some highlights:

The GOP disconnect with “young people/hipsters/millennials” — that is, tomorrow’s typical Americans — can be sourced directly to a near-total ignorance with the warning signs hipsters present Republicans (and others) about the disenchantment of the mid-20th-century American dream. Even more important, hipsters also suggest — to Republicans with eyes to see — the beginning contours of an early-21st-century American dream: one which might involve big government on an unprecedented scale, but needn’t. Republicans have been comfortable and successful dealing with that might before, and there’s no baked-in reason why they can’t be comfortable and successful in that way again.

And a nice mention of Ron Paul's legacy toward the end-

That’s why it’s not very surprising to me that the hipster outreach pitch is being made by the son of the guy whose most ardent supporters are still unironically calling for a Love Revolution. You can laugh at the “Paultards” all you want, but I tell you this: America could use a lot more citizens calling unironically for a radical infusion of love into our public dealings. And if Republicans don’t figure out how to get on board with that project, they’ll find that in short order they’re feeling very little love indeed.

Lookit:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jamespoulos/2013/05/23/rand-paul-is-right-republicans-need-a-crash-hipster-outreach-program/

JCDenton0451
05-23-2013, 12:50 PM
All millennial outreach thingy boils down to one simple question:

How can we get young, single, hip, college-educated women to vote for a party of Mandatory Transvaginal Ultrasounds?

Good luck with that! haha

VoluntaryAmerican
05-23-2013, 01:04 PM
All millennial outreach thingy boils down to one simple question:

How can we get young, single, hip, college-educated women to vote for a party of Mandatory Transvaginal Ultrasounds?

Good luck with that! haha

One ex-girlfriend at a time.

05-23-2013, 02:31 PM
In America it's socially acceptable to hate hipsters, kinda like the hating the French is acceptable.

J/K but it will be rough

Spikender
05-23-2013, 02:33 PM
I don't even use the word hipster anymore, because it means nothing.

Regardless, Republicans need a lot more than a course on how to connect with hipsters. How about a crash course on how to actually act like Conservatives? I could get behind that.