PDA

View Full Version : The Xbox One (successor to 360) Will Always Be Listening To You Even When Off

DamianTV
05-21-2013, 05:56 PM
http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/21/4352596/the-xbox-one-is-always-listening

In its hour-long Xbox One presentation, Microsoft blazed through announcements for its new next-generation console, including one ostensibly important feature that may raise some eyebrows: the new Xbox will always be listening to you, even when it's turned off.

(article continues on link)

Not everyone here is a Gamer, so not everyone knows this next bit. The XBox One (apparently the successor to the XBox 360, M$ announced today) already requires an ALWAYS ON INTERNET CONNECTION. You can NOT play even so much as have the damn thing turned on without it being connected to the Internet. So then they put in a camera and a microphone in it. So either M$ or someone else with the knowhow can remotely listen in and watch what ever you are doing in your own house. They dont need Warrants. They dont need to let you know.

This IS the Camera in your Living Room warned of by George Orwell.

1984 is here, now, today.

Now give us a shitload of money so we can watch you, at your own expense. What? You actually expected us to pay to put those cameras in your house? No! If you buy your own surveillance equipment to be used against you, you'd trash it, unless you actually bought it.

Say NO to the Next XBox.

WhistlinDave
05-21-2013, 06:08 PM
Did you see the "Update" at the bottom? SO reassuring... Because nobody can ever compromise security measures in computer networks. :rolleyes:

Just a thought... Couldn't you just unplug it when not in use? (Or have it plugged into a power strip that you simply switch off?) Still a bit unsettling, but seems to me it's not insurmountable. Kill the power when it's not in use.

evilfunnystuff
05-21-2013, 06:12 PM
Did you see the "Update" at the bottom? SO reassuring... Because nobody can ever compromise security measures in computer networks. :rolleyes:

Just a thought... Couldn't you just unplug it when not in use? (Or have it plugged into a power strip that you simply switch off?) Still a bit unsettling, but seems to me it's not insurmountable. Kill the power when it's not in use.

.. or mod it with a toggle switch for the camera and mic.

wormyguy
05-21-2013, 06:24 PM
OMG MY WIRELESS ROUTER IS ALWAYS CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET

OMG MY CELLPHONE IS ALWAYS CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET

OMG MY INTERNET IS ALWAYS CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET

Believe me, Microsoft really does not care about you. Do you think they have some underground cave where millions of workers use the super-secret undetectable nanocams to watch chubby young men give themselves carpal tunnel syndrome, eat Cheetos and masturbate?

squarepusher
05-21-2013, 06:25 PM

Believe me, Microsoft really does not care about you. Do you think they have some underground cave where millions of workers use the super-secret undetectable nanocams to watch chubby young men give themselves carpal tunnel syndrome, eat Cheetos and masturbate?

most likely, this

leverguy
05-21-2013, 06:34 PM

And everybody knows that they don't track you through your cellphone, right? Not even Apple would pull something like logging your location, except when they do. But then you don't have anything to hide do you citizen? Do you?

And Microsoft never cooperates with the .gov do they? If the spooks can get to it, they will insist on using it.

The anonymity thing doesn't really cut it in the surveillance state.

Ranger29860
05-21-2013, 06:36 PM
There is a difference from being off and being in sleep mode. They made a real big deal about the system being low power usage. To me that signals in conjunction with the cable box functionality to mean that the system can sit in standby mode and can be woken up on voice command as shown in the presentation when you want. But you can still turn it off. They just don't want you to since part of its feature set is reliant on voice commands.

Easy fix. Instal and activate the game then unplug it from the internet.

NationalAnarchist
05-21-2013, 06:36 PM
Don't own any game consoles now have no intentions of buying any.

TheTexan
05-21-2013, 06:38 PM

Microsoft doesn't care about me, but it does care about $.

The FedGov would be willing to offer them a lot of money to install a backdoor to listen on people. And if the FedGov did give them money to do that, you wouldn't know it.

This is what I call "the Facebook model"

Natural Citizen
05-21-2013, 06:41 PM
This is another great opportunity to ask our prospective representatives what their position is on technology. I have very little faith in reckless consumers to do that though. This crap wouldn't be happening if Reagan didn't open up the flood gates for these corporations to lobby and solicit representation to market youth. Now those youth are adults and care not what they ...demand.

Spikender
05-21-2013, 06:43 PM

This was a really ignorant thing to say. You should be concerned about your own privacy, and this is a potential breach in it if you choose to purchase one.

Now excuse me, I have to get a towel and wipe the Cheeto dust off of my keyboard.

Cutlerzzz
05-21-2013, 06:54 PM
This system is going to bomb.

No buying used games, no selling your used games, no renting games, no borrowing games, always online, likely $500+ dollars, no backwards compatibility, needs kinect on in order to work.

I'll go with a gaming PC and a Wii U. Hopefully when this system bombs Halo will be available on the PC and Banjo Kazooie will be available on the Wii U.

wormyguy
05-21-2013, 06:55 PM
If the government wanted to install super-secret undetectable nanocams that constantly stream video over the internet without anyone, least of all your ISP, knowing about it, then they'd probably install them in something like wireless routers, which are far more commonplace than xboxes and also always connected to the internet, or cellphones, which are generally always kept on one's person and also always connected to the internet. They would not use xboxes, which are a niche product that competes among several, and which are mostly used by rather mundane individuals for rather mundane purposes.

John F Kennedy III
05-21-2013, 07:29 PM
If the government wanted to install super-secret undetectable nanocams that constantly stream video over the internet without anyone, least of all your ISP, knowing about it, then they'd probably install them in something like wireless routers, which are far more commonplace than xboxes and also always connected to the internet, or cellphones, which are generally always kept on one's person and also always connected to the internet. They would not use xboxes, which are a niche product that competes among several, and which are mostly used by rather mundane individuals for rather mundane purposes.

Why would they not use XBoxes?

TheTexan
05-21-2013, 07:47 PM
They would not use xboxes, which are a niche product that competes among several, and which are mostly used by rather mundane individuals for rather mundane purposes.

I saw a documentary about terrorists once I believe it was called 24, and I clearly remember a scene where there were terrorists playing xbox

DamianTV
05-21-2013, 08:04 PM

New XBox has a Camera getting a good shot of your living room / bedroom (where ever you keep it) and a Mic. Routers have neither.

To give the Govt a tool then expect them not to use it is absolutely foolish. Of course, there are still so many fucking morons out there that think they have absolutely nothing to hide and would probably have no problem what so ever with the govt kicking in everyones front door and demanding for the 24/7 camera they put on you. At this point, I honestly can not believe that yet again I hear "I've got nothing to hide" argument.

The determination between Right and Wrong is ALWAYS subjective. I'm not gonna bother to repeat myself at this point because I've started too many other threads on the same topic and end it with the same arguments. If you drink Coke, you are the ENEMY of Pepsi. That is the difference between Right and Wrong, and having nothing to hide.

ClydeCoulter
05-21-2013, 08:12 PM
New XBox has a Camera getting a good shot of your living room / bedroom (where ever you keep it) and a Mic. Routers have neither.

To give the Govt a tool then expect them not to use it is absolutely foolish. Of course, there are still so many fucking morons out there that think they have absolutely nothing to hide and would probably have no problem what so ever with the govt kicking in everyones front door and demanding for the 24/7 camera they put on you. At this point, I honestly can not believe that yet again I hear "I've got nothing to hide" argument.

The determination between Right and Wrong is ALWAYS subjective. I'm not gonna bother to repeat myself at this point because I've started too many other threads on the same topic and end it with the same arguments. If you drink Coke, you are the ENEMY of Pepsi. That is the difference between Right and Wrong, and having nothing to hide.

The OLD Xbox has a camera and mic, if you have connect, which we do. It's a blast to play. Sports games can actually make you break a sweat. It's really cool tech.

But alas, we have assholes in the world so, say no to cool toys, damn.

Cowlesy
05-21-2013, 08:23 PM
I walk around all day with an iPhone, Blackberry and/or iPad that all have cellular chips, wifi capability and multiple cameras which, I assume, someone somewhere can turn on/off at any time. Same with my iMac. I can't get in too much of a tizzy that now a game-console will also have voice/video capabilities.

jmdrake
05-21-2013, 08:23 PM

Sure. Microsoft doesn't care about you. They're just out to make money like ATT. The NSA cares though. The NSA talked ATT and other service providers into letting them install equipment to capture all electronic communications traffic. Do you think they're above leaning on Microsoft to do something similar?

DamianTV
05-21-2013, 08:24 PM
The OLD Xbox has a camera and mic, if you have connect, which we do. It's a blast to play. Sports games can actually make you break a sweat. It's really cool tech.

But alas, we have assholes in the world so, say no to cool toys, damn.

True

I dont want to be the one who tells people what choices to make for themselves. Im personally not interested in that tech, but will not only not bash on anyone for making informed choices, but will stand up and defend their Right to make the decision that I dont agree with. I believe that is much more important.

The only thing I really try to do is warn people by trying to make them think about how the lack of privacy can be abused and whom the abusers are. Too many people just dont think, period. Hence all the counter arguments of "Why do you care if we are remotely monitoring you having sex? If you are only having sex with your spouse legally, then what do you have to hide?" and other various counter points...

mello
05-21-2013, 08:28 PM
There is a difference from being off and being in sleep mode. They made a real big deal about the system being low power usage. To me that signals in conjunction with the cable box functionality to mean that the system can sit in standby mode and can be woken up on voice command as shown in the presentation when you want. But you can still turn it off. They just don't want you to since part of its feature set is reliant on voice commands.

Easy fix. Instal and activate the game then unplug it from the internet.

I just read that the console needs to access the internet once a day in order to play games.

Professor8000
05-21-2013, 08:30 PM
I really hope you people realize that the voice and gesture control is part of an optional piece of hardware called Kinect. It is the only part, aside from the headset which is not always on, that has the microphone and camera. You do not have to have the Kinect.

madengr
05-21-2013, 08:33 PM
How many are reading RPF with an iPad, with that little FaceTime camera. In Orwellian Amerika, RPF read you!

Professor8000
05-21-2013, 08:34 PM
Also, Microsoft confirmed that the Xbox One is not going to require internet authenticated DRM. So the "Always On" hysteria can be put to rest.

Warrior_of_Freedom
05-21-2013, 08:34 PM
The xbox one is like the 9/11 of video games. Seriously. 1 person per copy of game. Online access required. The kinect looking at you and listening to you all the time.

Professor8000
05-21-2013, 08:39 PM
How many are reading RPF with an iPad, with that little FaceTime camera. In Orwell Amerika, RPF read you!

I bought a laptop with no webcam. My phone is too old for a forward facing camera.

Professor8000
05-21-2013, 08:40 PM
The xbox one is like the 9/11 of video games. Seriously. 1 person per copy of game. Online access required. The kinect looking at you and listening to you all the time.

Online access is not required. Kinect is optional. There are still ways around DRM.

DamianTV
05-21-2013, 08:44 PM
I really hope you people realize that the voice and gesture control is part of an optional piece of hardware called Kinect. It is the only part, aside from the headset which is not always on, that has the microphone and camera. You do not have to have the Kinect.

Dont have to buy a Camera that gives the Govt or any Corporations access to everything I do either.

But let me ask everyone the MONEY QUESTION: Is a Revolution even possible with this level of Surveillance? Things will only get worse from here.

Note: We're talking NEW XBox, not the 360, but its successor.

Warrior_of_Freedom
05-21-2013, 08:45 PM
Online access is not required. Kinect is optional. There are still ways around DRM.

Proof?

mello
05-21-2013, 08:50 PM
Proof?

Kotaku: If I’m playing a single player game, do I have to be online at least once per hour or something like that? Or can I go weeks and weeks?

Harrison: I believe it’s 24 hours.

Kotaku: I’d have to connect online once every day.

Harrison: Correct.

Professor8000
05-21-2013, 08:53 PM
Proof?

Why the fuck should I do your research for you?

Quit being lazy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6LVfzL9mUQ

CPUd
05-21-2013, 08:56 PM

Because from the looks of it, very few people will be buying one.

silverhandorder
05-21-2013, 08:59 PM
Yeah even though I do not agree with intrusions into privacy by government I don't really value privacy that much. I think that it is important and many people do need it. As long as there is no fraud and everything is done voluntarily everyone can be satisfied.

PaulConventionWV
05-21-2013, 09:14 PM

Quit being lazy

Just because it doesn't always HAVE to be on, doesn't mean it won't always be on in most cases. I usually don't turn off my computer. Even when I put it into sleep mode, it's still on. It would be inconvenient for me to turn it off every time, though, and it's not too far-fetched to believe certain electronic systems would be designed so that it's inconvenient to turn them off. I really don't know enough about Xbox to say what this means in terms of privacy, but I just thought I'd point out that it doesn't have to require an always-on state in order for it to be effectively used as a monitoring device. Not that that's what it's doing. I honestly don't know.

Professor8000
05-21-2013, 09:18 PM
Just because it doesn't always HAVE to be on, doesn't mean it won't always be on in most cases. I usually don't turn off my computer. Even when I put it into sleep mode, it's still on. It would be inconvenient for me to turn it off every time, though, and it's not too far-fetched to believe certain electronic systems would be designed so that it's inconvenient to turn them off. I really don't know enough about Xbox to say what this means in terms of privacy, but I just thought I'd point out that it doesn't have to require an always-on state in order for it to be effectively used as a monitoring device. Not that that's what it's doing. I honestly don't know.

You don't need to have the Kinect to use the system, it just makes for a hands free controller for the most part.

Cutlerzzz
05-21-2013, 09:29 PM
Kotaku: If I’m playing a single player game, do I have to be online at least once per hour or something like that? Or can I go weeks and weeks?

Harrison: I believe it’s 24 hours.

Kotaku: I’d have to connect online once every day.

Harrison: Correct.

Online access is required every 24 hours and also to register every game before you can play it. Online is required.

mello
05-21-2013, 09:46 PM
Besides government intrusions, another worry is the possibility of hackers gaining access. I've read stories of women that were being surveilled by pervy hackers that got access to their laptops.

Professor8000
05-21-2013, 09:54 PM
Online access is required every 24 hours and also to register every game before you can play it. Online is required.

See my above response to that subject.

TheTexan
05-21-2013, 09:55 PM
Yeah even though I do not agree with intrusions into privacy by government I don't really value privacy that much. I think that it is important and many people do need it. As long as there is no fraud and everything is done voluntarily everyone can be satisfied.

As long as government exists, there will always be fraudulent invasions of privacy

Warrior_of_Freedom
05-21-2013, 09:56 PM

Quit being lazy

Uh usually when you say somebody is wrong you back it up.

Cutlerzzz
05-21-2013, 10:22 PM
See my above response to that subject.

The video said that it doesn't require online connection 24/7, as rumors had suggested. It did not however say that online isn't required once every 24 hours or that you don't need to register games to your system online, both of which are facts confirmed by Microsoft today.

http://www.sidequesting.com/2013/05/the-xbox-one-requires-internet-connection-every-24-hours-used-game-fee-unclear/

seraphson
05-21-2013, 10:25 PM
Regardless I wouldn't buy the piece of Shit (yes proper noun) seeing as all it really has to offer on the gaming segment is the same shitty shooter games all over again with higher res textures at the expected $59.99 + tax price per game. No thanks.

QuickZ06
05-21-2013, 10:37 PM
It would be inconvenient for me to turn it off every time, though, and it's not too far-fetched to believe certain electronic systems would be designed so that it's inconvenient to turn them off.

Interesting.

CPUd
05-21-2013, 10:56 PM
It actually reduces the life of the device if it is powered on/off a lot. Similar to a vehicle, where staring the engine is among the most stressful activity it undergoes.

seraphson
05-22-2013, 08:31 AM
It actually reduces the life of the device if it is powered on/off a lot. Similar to a vehicle, where staring the engine is among the most stressful activity it undergoes.

I don't buy that. Solid state electronics and controlled explosions are two totally different things.

asurfaholic
05-22-2013, 10:40 AM
I am 90% sure i am going to get one. About the always on bullshit, whatever.

Like everything else on earth, there will be abuses of power and technology. If someone really wanted to they could spy on me through my phone or whatever. Not much i can really do about it.

I have no intention to live in fear of tyranny. If i want a gadget, I'm gonna get it. I say my F You's to the govt every day right here, if they want to watch my lazy ass play video games then ill be sure to wave.

Ranger29860
05-22-2013, 10:50 AM
I don't buy that. Solid state electronics and controlled explosions are two totally different things.

Of course, but each sytems (an engine and lets say a motherboard) are built to account for there respective wear and tear based on turning on and off. So the breaking point could be at a similar point. A great example of this is SSD hard drives. They actually get rated based on how many time you can turn it on and off before it breaks and starts losing space.

Anti Federalist
05-22-2013, 10:57 AM

No, but that new multi billion dollar NSA facility in Utah sure as fuck does.

And it will scoop up the data streams from millions of X-Boxes all across the country (I'm sure they will be a huge hit and they'll sell like crazy, nothing sells better than the shackles for people to chain themselves with) and log it and search it and place people who "red flag" the system, under tighter surveillance.

But I figure you're one of the millions and millions and millions addicted to these things, so you defend it.

Enjoy your game.

The tyranny outside is very real, however.

brandon
I'm not worried about privacy concerns, but I am worried about how much power this is gonna use and how it will effect the lifetime of the equipment. What will it cost in utility bills to run nonstop voice detection? $5/month? $10/month? Add on the price of xbox live and it's gonna cost you $20/month just to have an xbox powered down in your living room.

Moreover, it's just a dumb feature with no real utility. It's just as easy to press a button on the controller to turn it on. I guess they think it will help them market it to a certain demographic, but I'm definitely not in that demographic - and I'm probably their core market.

Bern
... Sports games can actually make you break a sweat. ...

Surprisingly, so do real life sports.

Professor8000
05-22-2013, 11:01 AM
Not totally clear but it should clear up some points.

Confusion surrounds built-in Xbox One DRM (http://www.develop-online.net/news/44271/Confusion-surrounds-built-in-Xbox-One-DRM)

Still no clear answer to what level of resale protection Microsoft's new console will have

The aftermath of the Xbox One unveiling has been dogged by confusion about what degree of DRM or pre-owned game restrictions it will impose on consumers.

Immediately after the announcement, Microsoft executive Don Mattrick said the new Xbox would not be ‘always-on’. Only hours later however, it transpired that the Xbox One may in fact need to connect to the internet at least once per day.

Seeking to clear up the mess, Microsoft’s corporate vice president of interactive entertainment Phil Harrison told Eurogamer that game discs can still be run on different consoles, but the system’s built-in profile and installation structure means you may not be able to play them without playing a fee.

“The bits [of a game] that are on the disc, I can give to anybody else, but if we both want to play it at the same time, we both have to own it. That's no different to how discs operate today,” he said.

“I can come to your house and I can put the disc into your machine and I can sign in as me and we can play the game.”

So far, it appears that Microsoft has implemented an internal digital rights management system tied to Xbox profiles. The original owner of a game can play that title on their console and a friend’s consoles console – provided they sign in. But that same friend will be charged to play that game if the original owner’s profile is not present.

“The bits are on your hard drive. At the end of the play session, when I take my disc home - or even if I leave it with you - if you want to continue to play that game [on your profile] then you have to pay for it. The bits are already on your hard drive, so it's just a question of going to our [online] store and buying the game, and then it's instantly available to play.”

What this will mean for the pre-owned games market – which has fiercely divided the publishing and retail communities – Harrison woud not say. But Microsoft has a some kind of plan in store.

“We will have a system where you can take that digital content and trade a previously played game at a retail store. We’re not announcing the details of that today, but we will have announced in due course.”

Harrison also tried to explain the online requirements of the box itself, rejecting rumours of a need for a constant connection.

“Some bits of the system will work offline. I think the key point to make is that Xbox One requires an internet connection, but it does not need to be connected all the time. We think that most of the biggest games on Xbox One and most of the games and experiences and services you want to use will be internet-connected.”

Anti Federalist
05-22-2013, 11:04 AM
I have no intention to live in fear of tyranny. If i want a gadget, I'm gonna get it. I say my F You's to the govt every day right here, if they want to watch my lazy ass play video games then ill be sure to wave.

Citizen, we have viewed you failing to gain the required hours of PT every day.

This information has been forwarded to Obamacare provider, who has calculated an 87% rate increase.

Failure to pay is a felony, under the Jeb Bush HealthCare reform Act of 2017.

Hold your thumprint under the scanner to transfer your credits.

Look, man, I'm not bashing you personally, but WHY can't anybody understand that all this is not going into place to just sit and watch people play with themselves???

It's being put in place to enforce compliance, which will be painful, arbitrary and heavy handed.

You will NOT like living under this surveillance grid.

It can be stopped, but only of people who know better cease to throw up their hands at the problem.

ClydeCoulter
05-22-2013, 11:13 AM
Surprisingly, so do real life sports.

Yes, they do, but sometimes the "real" thing is hard to do, especially by yourself. My son gets me to play some of the Kinect games, from time to time. I keep telling him that the garden and lawn is enough for me, but he says it's different, and he has a point. Actually, doing the gardening is tougher on the body, but doesn't necessarily get all of your body to "loosen up".

ClydeCoulter
05-22-2013, 11:17 AM

This information has been forwarded to Obamacare provider, who has calculated an 87% rate increase.

Look, man, I'm not bashing you personally, but WHY can't anybody understand that all this is not going into place to just sit and watch people play with themselves???

It's being put in place to enforce compliance, which will be painful, arbitrary and heavy handed.

It can be stopped, but only of people who know better cease to throw up their hands at the problem.

I understand @assuraholic's point as well as yours.

We live in a world where anything that is invented is perverted into war machines and surveillance. Like I said earlier, the technology is really great. But, unfortunately, mankind is not ready for it, and cannot use it properly. It's like giving a loaded gun to a spoiled bratty child, it's like expecting your neighbor to mind their own business, it's like...damn

ClydeCoulter
05-22-2013, 11:24 AM
Is there something to be said, concerning dissent, where we just start living our lives freely, the PTB be damned?

I'm tired of keeping track of the machine gun tactics of a myriad of bad legislation, tired of trying to make sure I don't get screwed by the greedy, tired of assholes running the world, tired of being cautious, or even afraid, that the next time I do something, without malice, that I might be breaking some stupid fucking law, that someone might be watching or listening or giving a fuck about what I do.

Is this life? Really?

Oh mankind, what potential you had...:(

Reason
05-22-2013, 11:27 AM
So don't buy it?

James Madison
05-22-2013, 11:28 AM
Looks like I'll be staying with Sony next generation.

PS4 > Xbox One

Anti Federalist
05-22-2013, 11:33 AM
Is there something to be said, concerning dissent, where we just start living our lives freely, the PTB be damned?

I'm tired of keeping track of the machine gun tactics of a myriad of bad legislation, tired of trying to make sure I don't get screwed by the greedy, tired of assholes running the world, tired of being cautious, or even afraid, that the next time I do something, without malice, that I might be breaking some stupid fucking law, that someone might be watching or listening or giving a fuck about what I do.

Is this life? Really?

Oh mankind, what potential you had...:(

All of those things are universal, have always been human nature or man's fallen state of grace.

What is new in the last thirty years, what has never, ever happened before, is this flood of technology that allows the tyrants, who have always been with us, the ability to finally do what they have never been able to before:

Rule over and control every single human being on the face of the earth.

If I had my way, if I could, I'd put a moratorium on all new technology that could be used for any manner of surveillance and control until cheap and effective and legal opt out and blocking measures were readily available.

Anti Federalist
05-22-2013, 11:36 AM
So don't buy it?

Like OnStar in GM cars, once one outfit "trailblazes", then others rapidly fall in line (I saw an ad for a similar system from Hynduai) to where it is in everything, that all products are infected, then government mandates it.

juleswin
05-22-2013, 11:44 AM
This is another great opportunity to ask our prospective representatives what their position is on technology. I have very little faith in reckless consumers to do that though. This crap wouldn't be happening if Reagan didn't open up the flood gates for these corporations to lobby and solicit representation to market youth. Now those youth are adults and care not what they ...demand.

Just don't buy the damn thing. Really not waiting for Rand or Ron to give me their opinion on this. Even more insidious is the fact that each game is registered to a console so just like Windows OS, you wouldn't be able to lend it out to a friend.

After my experience with Skyrim on PS3, I dont think I will be buying any console games in the near future.

Christian Liberty
05-22-2013, 12:41 PM
Microsoft doesn't care about me, but it does care about $.

The FedGov would be willing to offer them a lot of money to install a backdoor to listen on people. And if the FedGov did give them money to do that, you wouldn't know it.

This is what I call "the Facebook model"

I was actually greatly encouraged as I pointed this out to my mother, she actually seemed to share my passion for once...

BTW: My immediate thought was that the Feds paid him to do this.

trey4sports
05-22-2013, 12:46 PM

Bwahaha

ClydeCoulter
05-22-2013, 12:54 PM
All of those things are universal, have always been human nature or man's fallen state of grace.

What is new in the last thirty years, what has never, ever happened before, is this flood of technology that allows the tyrants, who have always been with us, the ability to finally do what they have never been able to before:

Rule over and control every single human being on the face of the earth.

If I had my way, if I could, I'd put a moratorium on all new technology that could be used for any manner of surveillance and control until cheap and effective and legal opt out and blocking measures were readily available.

But, this is starting to NOT make any sense. "They hate us for our freedoms so we must restrict our freedoms"? That can be said about our foreign policy as pertains to the "homeland", as well as their domestic policy as pertains to my home. Resistance is "not conforming", but it is not "running from" them. Am I making any sense here?

asurfaholic
05-22-2013, 03:38 PM

I will die before this becomes the reality of my life.

I absolutely know that you are not bashing me personally, and I respect your opinion entirely. And I agree with almost all points.

But I am past the point of trying to avoid the surveillance state. I am not sure I can run from it. The last thing I want to do is draw attention to myself. And somewhere up at the top of my list of things that I DO want is to be able to enjoy myself and the technology that interests me. Not to be taken as all I want to do is sit around and watch honey boo boo, and dancing with the stars, but I do mean it when I value enjoying my time - that's not too unreasonable I don't think... But I already have an xbox and Kinect, and it sits in the game room. It is unplugged and disconnected from the network when I am not using it. And the Kinect is covered with a cloth when I am not using it.

My point is less about Xbox and what IT is capable of doing, but more so that I don't really care too much. If the day comes that someone reports being arrested because of something they did in front of their Kinect, I will probably reconsider, but likely by that point, there will be other clear signs of malicious intent. I don't live on a back road in a house off the grid. I am plugged in, for better or for worse. I will fight for my rights, but will pick my battles carefully.

I hope this makes sense to you, I feel like it is coming off as a jumbled rant....

I understand @assuraholic's point as well as yours.

We live in a world where anything that is invented is perverted into war machines and surveillance. Like I said earlier, the technology is really great. But, unfortunately, mankind is not ready for it, and cannot use it properly. It's like giving a loaded gun to a spoiled bratty child, it's like expecting your neighbor to mind their own business, it's like...damn

You nailed it.

nobody's_hero
05-22-2013, 04:22 PM
I'm pretty sure when Grand Theft Auto 5 comes out on PS3 I will never have to buy another game or gaming system again.

Let me add something with a bit more substance:

I'm not a fan of DRM, always online stuff. The last game I bought that required an internet connection to play was the new Sim City. It was plagued with so many problems with server connectivity, it was about 2 weeks before it was stable enough to do anything with. Electronic Arts has bought every franchise I've ever loved and proceeded to ruin it.

Companies are going so far out of their way to combat software piracy that they are pissing off honest customers. I hope that's what happens if Xbox One has anything to do with DRM.

QuickZ06
05-22-2013, 04:50 PM
I'm pretty sure when Grand Theft Auto 5 comes out on PS3 I will never have to buy another game or gaming system again.

I'm not a fan of DRM, always online stuff. The last game I bought that required an internet connection to play was the new Sim City. It was plagued with so many problems with server connectivity, it was about 2 weeks before it was stable enough to do anything with. Electronic Arts has bought every franchise I've ever loved and proceeded to ruin it.

Companies are going so far out of their way to combat software piracy that they are pissing off honest customers. I hope that's what happens if Xbox One has anything to do with DRM.

Ugh I wanted to play the new Sim City, would bring back some good memories from the past. Is it worth getting now that the bugs are worked out? And I was surprised GTA was not for PS4 but I am not really sure on how or if they could cross consoles it for both systems.

bunklocoempire
05-22-2013, 04:51 PM
Come on Coleco, re-group and swoooop! Fill the privacy niche! ColecoVision for Libertaay!!

Oh how I wish. Hey Xbox, we're done -we just picked you up because our analog TV won't die , our computers stay in the office, and we wanted to use Netflix in the living room.

"Jeez Bunk, why's your TV got that bulge in the screen? Why's the chassis so deep? Do ya keep your Blu-Rays in there or...? Why's the screen so narrow -is there another half to it? How come the picture is so fuzzy?"

Icymudpuppy
05-22-2013, 05:00 PM
Why not just turn off the juice at the surge protector, or unplug it from the wall?

nobody's_hero
05-22-2013, 05:22 PM
Ugh I wanted to play the new Sim City, would bring back some good memories from the past. Is it worth getting now that the bugs are worked out? And I was surprised GTA was not for PS4 but I am not really sure on how or if they could cross consoles it for both systems.

Well, the maps are really small compared to former Simcity titles so you almost have to play with other people if you want your city to reach its full potential. I wouldn't recommend it unless you have other friends who play because it can be frustrating trying to find people to play online with. You can create a server and set it to private and create and try to manage multiple cities, but that gets a bit tedious.

It wasn't what I'd expected. They've also dumbed down some stuff so no more pot holes in the road because you didn't keep your road department budget at full funding. Then again, they've also improved certain things like coverage areas for schools/fire stations/hospitals.

Christian Liberty
05-22-2013, 05:24 PM
I wouldn't buy just as a matter of principle...

QuickZ06
05-22-2013, 05:30 PM
Yeah sounds lame, not going to get it.

QueenB4Liberty
05-22-2013, 06:15 PM
Yeah I don't think I'll get it either. I have an xbox 360 and a kinect already anyhow.

awake
05-22-2013, 07:18 PM
Data avalanche. All the data collection will be worthless without the manpower to process and interpret it in any usable manner.

Thought experiment: if one were to go to a sporting event with 10, or even 100 other friendly helpers...could they log the topics of conversation of every person in the building? Silly techno tyrants; defeated before you started.

Ranger29860
05-22-2013, 07:33 PM

The crappy DRM of individual companies is exactly why this is being done. 3rd party developers have been begging for years for the console manufacturers to help out the with piracy and used games market. There are ways to do DRM right but it has to be done at a much higher level then the developer. Steam has nailed it when it comes to DRM and all your seeing is the consoles trying to emulate it. Though sadly Microsoft might have missed the point if they require you to log in every day to verify versus steams once a month verification.

TruckinMike
05-22-2013, 08:10 PM

Microsoft has given The NSA carte blanche -- They even had a hand in writing the MS kernal. --- Source CNET, but I cant find the article, it was from 2009 or 2010 I think. They can switch on anyones camera or on board mic at will.

Warrior_of_Freedom
05-22-2013, 08:12 PM
Data avalanche. All the data collection will be worthless without the manpower to process and interpret it in any usable manner.

Thought experiment: if one were to go to a sporting event with 10, or even 100 other friendly helpers...could they log the topics of conversation of every person in the building? Silly techno tyrants; defeated before you started.
That's why they search for keywords like "Freedom" and "Constitution" and key phrases like "I like freedom" and "Make love, not war."

CPUd
05-22-2013, 08:32 PM
That's why they search for keywords like "Freedom" and "Constitution" and key phrases like "I like freedom" and "Make love, not war."

Searching large amounts of data is not as simple as it looks on TV.

TheTexan
05-22-2013, 08:38 PM

I'm sure the NSA are up to the challenge

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/wp-content/gallery/20-04/ff_nsadatacenter_f.jpg

Professor8000
05-22-2013, 08:38 PM
Looks like I'll be staying with Sony next generation.

PS4 > Xbox One

Lets at least wait until E3 before we make any final judgements.

nobody's_hero
05-22-2013, 08:52 PM

. . . yet.

Anti Federalist
05-22-2013, 09:25 PM
. . . yet.

Not any longer.

NSA went "real time" with the new spy center in Utah a few weeks back IIRC.

Can process, scan, highlight, flag, analyze and store yotta bytes of information daily.

The Utah Data Center, also known as the Intelligence Community Comprehensive National Cybersecurity Initiative Data Center,[1] is a data storage facility for the United States Intelligence Community that is designed to be a primary storage resource capable of storing data on the scale of yottabytes (1 yottabyte = 1 trillion terabytes, or 1 quadrillion gigabytes).[2][3] Its purpose — as the name implies — is to support the Comprehensive National Cybersecurity Initiative (CNCI), though its precise mission is secret.[4] The National Security Agency, which will lead operations at the facility, is the executive agent for the Director of National Intelligence.[5] It is located at Camp Williams, near Bluffdale, Utah, between Utah Lake and Great Salt Lake.

The data center is alleged to be able to capture "all forms of communication, including the complete contents of private emails, cell phone calls, and Internet searches, as well as all sorts of personal data trails—parking receipts, travel itineraries, bookstore purchases, and other digital 'pocket litter'."[2] According to the FISA Amendments Act of 2008, the federal government is legally prohibited from collecting, storing, analyzing, or disseminating the content of the communications of US persons, whether inside or outside of the United States, unless authorized by an individual warrant from the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court.[6]

This mission does not include monitoring communications of Americans in the United States. An NSA spokesperson said, "Many unfounded allegations have been made about the planned activities of the Utah Data Center," and further said that "one of the biggest misconceptions about NSA is that we are unlawfully listening in on, or reading emails of, U.S. citizens. This is simply not the case."[5]

And if believe that, I've got a bridge to sell you.

TheTexan
05-22-2013, 10:09 PM
Can process, scan, highlight, flag, analyze and store yotta bytes of information daily.

That can't be accurate... That would be 1,000,000,000,000 terabytes.

I at least I hope that's not accurate... goddamn

CPUd
05-22-2013, 10:36 PM
That can't be accurate... That would be 1,000,000,000,000 terabytes.

I at least I hope that's not accurate... goddamn

They're talking storage, they can't do any kind of deep analysis on that scale. If they use it to create a file on an individual, the info in it would be about 5 years old.

Bern
05-23-2013, 05:25 AM
I'm sure there will be a way to disconnect the Kinnect unit (the camera / microphone). If not, the camera can alway be covered with a cloth and could be similarly foiled within a container when not in use. So all your visiting friends and family can relax on your couch with their Google Glasses.

Bern
05-23-2013, 05:34 AM
This mission does not include monitoring communications of Americans in the United States. An NSA spokesperson said, "Many unfounded allegations have been made about the planned activities of the Utah Data Center," and further said that "one of the biggest misconceptions about NSA is that we are unlawfully listening in on, or reading emails of, U.S. citizens. This is simply not the case."[5]

And if believe that, I've got a bridge to sell you.

Oh, that's the NCTC's job (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?393467-Streamlining-targeted-killing-U-S-intends-to-keep-adding-names-to-kill-lists&p=5038642&viewfull=1#post5038642).

DamianTV
05-24-2013, 09:25 AM
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/the-extent-of-kinect-2-s-visual-drm-is-beginning-to-emerge/0116138

Kinect 2 will be able to employ certain DRM measures depending on what it observes in the living room.

That’s the conclusion suggested by a patent filed by Microsoft, and corroborated by sources talking to MCV in the weeks leading up to this week’s Xbox One reveal.

ExtremeTech reports that Microsoft has filed for a patent that allows Kinect to monitor the number of viewers in the room. It then cross-checks this with the maximum number of viewers permitted by the licence that a user agrees to when purchasing or renting content.

If it is deemed that too many people are present, the user will be prompted to pay an additional fee to upgrade the licence.

Says the filing: “The users consuming the content on a display device are monitored so that if the number of user-views licensed is exceeded, remedial action may be taken.”

It should be noted too that Kinect is designed to continuously observe its roommates. It also adds that the T&Cs for any particular piece of content can be determined by the copyright holder.

It’s also hard to stop yourself pondering where such a tech ideology could lead. Could Kinect block 18-rated content if it detects minors in the room? What if the owner of the content licence leaves mid-viewing?

And how much of this information is being fed back to Microsoft? And even more importantly, its affiliates?

Are content owners paying to receive information about what part of a film viewers enjoyed the most? Or whether they continued to look at the TV screen when an advertisement was aired?

Big questions lie ahead.

When contacted by MCV Microsoft said it does not comment on rumour and speculation.

UPDATE: To address the question of the age of the patent. Yes, the patent is old. But we have been told by UK industry sources within the last month that this system will be implemented on Xbox One.

What? Too many people watching this Male Soap Opera? Pay us more money!

moostraks
05-24-2013, 11:51 AM
. . . yet.

And every journey begins with a first step. I also think that most of us realize the fact that with the number of laws we have anyone can be made an enemy of the state if they come up in the crosshairs of the wrong gov't agents. Trust me they will misconstrue the most innocent situation to make anyone appear like the next Charles Manson, Bonnie Parker, Clyde Barrow, or Osama Bin Laden. It ain't what they can process right now that worries me but how it WILL be misused in the future.

CPUd
05-24-2013, 12:01 PM
http://i.minus.com/iBzvb2JSpQNRM.gif

DamianTV
05-24-2013, 01:49 PM
Would anyone go out and buy a DVD Player that needs to connect to the internet ever 24 hours? Why should game consoles?

jkob
05-24-2013, 01:51 PM
I think I'll be retiring from gaming this next gen, way too Orwellian

opal
05-24-2013, 02:23 PM
aspiring entrepreneurs - heads up.. sound proof black box to store the blasted thing in while not in use.. comes with black electrical tape to cover camera lens while in use.

Polomy
05-24-2013, 04:37 PM
You guys should really be watching out for those Wii Miis and their fake smiles.. They're up to something and they're never candid about it.

tangent4ronpaul
05-24-2013, 04:58 PM
US Military Funds Effort to Hack Video Game Consoles
Tue, Mar 27, 2012
http://news.yahoo.com/us-military-funds-effort-hack-video-game-consoles-182608424.html

Popular video game consoles such as Nintendo's Wii and Microsoft's Xbox 360 may resemble the new battlefields for national security in the eyes of the U.S. military. The U.S. Navy has begun funding a project to hack previously owned game consoles in an effort to dig up gamers' online chat room information and other stored data.

U.S. console gamers can breathe a tiny sigh of relief for now, because the current project forbids targeting "U.S. persons." Instead, the Navy wants a California-based company called Obscure Technologies to buy video game consoles bought in used overseas markets, and to create computer forensic tools capable of hacking such consoles.

"This project requires the purchasing of used video game systems outside the US in a manner that is likely to result in their containing significant and sensitive information from previous users," according to a Navy justification and approval notice issued yesterday (March 26).

Obscure Technologies apparently has plenty of experience in hacking game consoles to mine data — the company's lead scientist had "previously reverse engineered the Microsoft Xbox," according to the Navy's notice.

"Analysis of the game systems requires specific knowledge of working with the hardware of embedded systems that have significant anti-tampering technology," the Navy notice says. "Obscure Technologies has substantial experience in working with such systems."

The Navy wants the company to not only hack "dirty" used game consoles, but also to show how to scrape "clean" data from newly bought game consoles. The new consoles being provided for such testing include a pair of Nintendo Wii consoles, a pair of Sony Playstation 3 systems, and a pair of Microsoft Xbox 360 systems, according to a project summary posted on Feb. 15.

The military isn't alone in wanting to mine data from video games, even if its focus may lean more toward tracking terrorists and enemies abroad. Both game studios and academic researchers have come up with ways to track gamer actions and behaviors during specific PC or console video games — either for better understanding gamers as customers or for studying human behavior in the equivalent of virtual labs.

There is also nothing particularly secretive about the hacking project. The Navy contract specifies that it plans to publicize the results at conferences and publish in academic journals, as well as make open- source software from the contract available to academic researchers.

Still, the Navy does expect Obscure Technologies to deliver hardware and software capable of hacking video game consoles at the end of its $177,000, 15-month contract in July 2013. Such tools are expected to be made for the Department of Homeland Security Science and Technology Directorate — and there's no particular mention of what Homeland Security might want with them.

-t

Polomy
05-24-2013, 05:37 PM
Yeah I'm not buying anything that can and will be used to track your presence and the presence of your guests or counhabitants so precisely.

The Bavarian
05-24-2013, 05:41 PM
They can watch me jerk off all they want, but I'll be the one charging them.

DamianTV
05-24-2013, 06:07 PM
They can watch me jerk off all they want, but I'll be the one charging them.

Read the EULA (when it comes out). Jerking off in front of a Kinect is both Copyrighted and Patented by M$. Best part is they can sell videos of you tossing your Man Alfredo Sauce all over your living room, they keep the money, and they dont even have to tell you that they are selling pornos of you!

jim49er
05-24-2013, 08:10 PM
Xbox One preowned plan revealed?

http://www.gamespot.com/news/xbox-one-preowned-plan-revealed-6408850?tag=Topslot;Slot1

WOW This is what you call blowback. Check out the comments

CPUd
05-24-2013, 08:22 PM
TV
TV

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbWgUO-Rqcw

sports.

jclay2
05-24-2013, 08:26 PM
Just another reason to avoid video games. Go outside, see the world, post on ronpaulforums...

tangent4ronpaul
05-24-2013, 08:30 PM
Connecting Kinects for Group Surveillance
http://actu.epfl.ch/news/connecting-kinects-for-group-surveillance/

21.12.10 - EPFL doctoral student patents new algorithm for hacking multiple kinects to track groups of people even in the dark.

It seems like every gadget freak, geek, wants to get their hands on Microsoft’s new Kinect gaming device, which captures 3D movement using cameras, sensors, and infra-red light. But they don’t neccessarily want to hook the gizmo up to an Xbox and play a game. They want to hack it.

Alexandre Alahi, a Ph.D. student in the Signal Processing Lab at the EPFL, was no different. He and a team used open-source software released online just days after the Kinect’s launch to develop a new, patented algorithm that leverages multiple Kinects instead of just one to detect crowds—even in the dark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=x--xlKWBTAE

“I was fascinated by the performance of the camera in assessing the depth of a scene at such an affordable price,” says Alahi, a video-surveillance technology specialist.

The algorithm works to combine the viewing angles from multiple Kinects to recognize shapes and differentiate, for example, between a human being, a bicycle, or a vehicle. And whereas the normal set-up only detects up to a few meters, the algorithm expands this scope to tens of meters and allows high-level function in low light without confusing shadows for human figures.

“Even if shapes are superimposed, our algorithm is robust enough to distinguish them,” adds Alahi.

Alahi envisions numerous applications for his system, including security at airports and train stations, where it could provide precise statistical information to help optimize the flow of people or be used to detect suspicious behavior. He can also imagine its use to track numerous players on a sports field, number of people in a queue, or customer behavior inside shops, where it could possibly predict behavior.

Researcher Contact:
Alexandre Alahi
Signal Processing Lab, EPFL
Phone: +41 +21 693 56 52
alexandre.alahi@epfl.ch
http://lts2www.epfl.ch/~alahi/current.htm

ClydeCoulter
05-24-2013, 08:49 PM
Here's a link to OpenKinect the open api for Kinect http://openkinect.org/wiki/Main_Page

Natural Citizen
05-24-2013, 08:56 PM
Reminds me of Predator. The movie?

tangent4ronpaul
05-24-2013, 09:17 PM
Reminds me of Predator. The movie?

Reminded me of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxBa5bQfTGc

I believe I've seen another vid on it where the targets are lit up predator style.
http://www.realsentrygun.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QcfZGDvHU8

OK - closer to the remake of the Jackle.

Imagine adding facial recognition or gait tracking and taking more time to aim...

-t

Aratus
05-25-2013, 04:01 PM
i'd prefer an older but spanking new from the factory XBOX 360 that doesn't snoop or spy on me...

V3n
05-25-2013, 04:38 PM
I still plan on buying one - but I will not integrate it into my entertainment system. I think the integration (making it your switch box) is the thing that will have people leaving it on all the time. I will not have it on all the time, I will not be using "voice commands" (which NEVER work anyway!), and I will tape over the camera. I just want a friggin' gaming system that is just a friggin' gaming system!

The PS3 was such a piece of crap (constant updates, so you can't even play a single-player offline game without a 45 minute update!) that the PS4 is not an answer for me. The Wii was cool for kids and parties, but not serious gaming. And I don't have the time/money/energy to keep up with PC gaming (and I like playing in my living room, on my couch, in front of a large tv - not hunched over a desk in the office staring at a monitor!).. ugh!

Time for a new competitor in the console market - one that - just makes - shocker - gaming consoles for gaming!

tangent4ronpaul
05-25-2013, 04:47 PM
i'd prefer an older but spanking new from the factory XBOX 360 that doesn't snoop or spy on me...

http://www.davidicke.com/forum/showthread.php?t=203207

Written by Alphonse:

Microsoft Kinect Spy System

"So you just got the Kinect/Xbox360 gaming system and you’re having fun, hanging out in your underwear, plopped down in your favorite lounge chair, and playing games with your buddies. Yeah, it’s great to have a microphone and camera in your game system so you can “Kinect” to your pals while you play, but did you read that Terms of Service Agreement that came with your Kinect thingy? No? Here, let me point out an important part of that service agreement.

If you accept the agreement, you “expressly authorize and consent to us accessing or disclosing information about you, including the content of your communications, in order to: (a) comply with the law or respond to lawful requests or legal process; (b) protect the rights or property of Microsoft, our partners, or our customers, including the enforcement of our agreements or policies governing your use of the Service; or (c) act on a good faith belief that such access or disclosure is necessary to protect the personal safety of Microsoft employees, customers, or the public.”

Did you catch that? Here, let me print the important part in really big letters.
“If you accept the agreement, you expressly authorize and consent to us accessing or disclosing information about you, including the content of your communications… on a good faith belief that such access or disclosure is necessary to protect the personal safety of Microsoft employees, customers, or the public.”

OK, is that clear enough for ya? When you use the Kinect system, you agree to allow Microsoft (and any branch of law enforcement or government they care to share information with) to use your Kinect system to spy on you. Maybe run that facial recognition software to check you out, listen to your conversations, and keep track of who you are communicating with.

I know this is probably old news to some, but I thought I would mention it because it pertains to almost all of these home game systems that are interactive. You have to remember, the camera and microphone contained in your game system has the ability to be hacked by anyone the game company gives that ability to, and that includes government snoops and law enforcement agents.

Hey, it’s MICROSOFT. What did you expect?

And the same concerns apply to all interactive game systems. Just something to think about if you’re having a “Naked Wii party” or doing something illegal while you’re gaming with your buddies. Or maybe you say something suspicious and it triggers the DHS software to start tracking your every word. Hey, this is not paranoia. It’s spelled out for you, right there in that Service Agreement. Read it! Here’s one more part of the agreement you should be aware of.

“You should not expect any level of privacy concerning your use of the live communication features (for example, voice chat, video and communications in live-hosted gameplay sessions) offered through the Service.”

Did you catch it that time? YOU SHOULD NOT EXPECT ANY LEVEL OF PRIVACY concerning your voice chat and video features on your Kinect box."

jim49er
05-25-2013, 09:08 PM
"Every generation, as you've probably heard, has grown approximately 30 percent," Mehdi said. "So this generation is about 300 million units. Most industry experts think the next generation will get upwards of about 400 million units. That's if it's a game console, over the next decade."

"We think you can go broader than a game console, that's our aim, and you can go from 400 million to potentially upwards of a billion units," he added. "That's how we're thinking of the Xbox opportunity as we go forward."

http://www.gamespot.com/news/microsoft-next-gen-console-sales-could-hit-1-billion-6408879

mac_hine
05-27-2013, 09:01 AM
Australia joins Germany in condemning Xbox One for being a surveillance device. Considered a "major breach of privacy"
http://games.ninemsn.com.au/news/privacy-breach-xbox-one-a-twisted-nightmare

Microsoft’s new Kinect patent goes Big Brother, will spy on you for the MPAA
http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/139706-microsofts-new-kinect-patent-goes-big-brother-will-spy-on-you-for-the-mpaa

ClydeCoulter
05-27-2013, 09:26 AM
The answer to enjoying the advantages of new technology isn't banning or avoiding technology, it's LIMITED GOVERNMENT.

green73
06-12-2013, 08:11 AM
http://i.imgur.com/h8duAbE.jpg

Occam's Banana
06-12-2013, 08:56 AM
This mission does not include monitoring communications of Americans in the United States. An NSA spokesperson said, "Many unfounded allegations have been made about the planned activities of the Utah Data Center," and further said that "one of the biggest misconceptions about NSA is that we are unlawfully listening in on, or reading emails of, U.S. citizens. This is simply not the case."

And if you believe that, I've got a bridge to sell you.

With close of escrow to be notarized by Edward Snowden.

shane77m
06-19-2013, 09:07 PM
Looks like they changed their minds.

http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in/microsoft-reverses-always-internet-used-game-policies-xbox-211818635.html

"Since unveiling our plans for Xbox One, my team and I have heard directly from many of you, read your comments and listened to your feedback," he wrote. "I would like to take the opportunity today to thank you for your assistance in helping us to reshape the future of Xbox One. You told us how much you loved the flexibility you have today with games delivered on disc. The ability to lend, share, and resell these games at your discretion is of incredible importance to you. Also important to you is the freedom to play offline, for any length of time, anywhere in the world."

[Related: Microsoft boss defends Xbox One price]

And you'll be able to do exactly that. From the site:

An internet connection will not be required to play offline Xbox One games

After a one-time system set-up with a new Xbox One, you can play any disc based game without ever connecting online again. There is no 24 hour connection requirement and you can take your Xbox One anywhere you want and play your games, just like on Xbox 360.

Trade-in, lend, resell, gift, and rent disc based games just like you do today

There will be no limitations to using and sharing games, it will work just as it does today on Xbox 360.

devil21
06-20-2013, 03:33 AM
Coincidence that Sony just put out a badly flawed firmware update that has left a lot of PS3s dead? Sony just owned MS with their PS4 unveil the other day. PS4 will cost $100 less and have much less restrictions and no spycamera. Then Sony puts out a firmware the next day that disabled a lot of PS3s. Interesting timing on all this.

http://venturebeat.com/2013/06/18/playstation-3-firmware-4-45-update-reportedly-bricking-consoles/

(The thread on PS3 official site with reports of killed systems is hundreds of pages long)

DamianTV
06-20-2013, 03:36 AM
Sony: Aw, did our firmware update fuck up your PS3 and it isnt under warranty? Too bad, now go buy a new one! Remember mundane, you get to pay for our fuck-ups!

ronpaulfollower999
06-20-2013, 05:13 AM
I haven't updated my 3 for a while now. Looks like I made a good choice. :)

CPUd
06-20-2013, 05:20 AM
Sony: Aw, did our firmware update fuck up your PS3 and it isnt under warranty? Too bad, now go buy a new one! Remember mundane, you get to pay for our fuck-ups!

It would be more like: "Your PS3 is bricked, we can mail you a replacement, or give you half-credit for a PS4". They could treat it as a loss-leader to get their product out there quickly.

shane77m
06-20-2013, 06:27 AM
Just updated mine last night. Hope it doesn't brick.

V3n
06-20-2013, 06:30 AM

Seems like they corrected the firmware in the early afternoon so it should be ok. It was only like one specific model-type too, it wasn't all of them.

And for the Xbox walking back their policies - I'm still not buying it. It's still more expensive, and it's still impossible to get it without the camera. If they make one with no camera and no voice-commands, then I'd consider it, but nope.

VoluntaryAmerican
06-20-2013, 08:09 AM
Fun fact: Microsoft was the first corp to join PRISM.

DamianTV
06-20-2013, 09:19 AM

I have reasons for not updating mine, like risk of bricking. Update manually.

talkingpointes
06-20-2013, 09:24 AM
Seems like they corrected the firmware in the early afternoon so it should be ok. It was only like one specific model-type too, it wasn't all of them.

And for the Xbox walking back their policies - I'm still not buying it. It's still more expensive, and it's still impossible to get it without the camera. If they make one with no camera and no voice-commands, then I'd consider it, but nope.

Blot the camera, and snip the mic.

DamianTV
06-20-2013, 09:25 AM
Uh oh.

PlayStation 3 update 4.45 bricking some consoles
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-06-19-playstation-3-update-4-45-bricking-some-consoles

Just saw this on BluesNews.com

Bern
06-20-2013, 09:39 AM
Looks like they changed their minds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qd8hy032uLc

There really isn't anything to stop M$ from changing their minds again down the road a bit. They have the infrastructure in place to simply install a "mandatory" update for anyone that wants internet multi-player capabilities (most XBOX customers I would guess).

V3n
06-20-2013, 11:33 AM
Blot the camera, and snip the mic.

Buy PS4. :)

Yeah, I'm sure this is a good way around it, but also voting with my pocketbook to say they never should have integrated that stuff in the first place.

CPUd
06-20-2013, 11:51 AM
This was posted on 4chan several weeks ago:

>The thing is we suck at telling the story. The whole point of the DRM switch from disc based to cloud based is to kill disc swapping, scratched discs, bringing discs to friends house, trade-ins for shit value with nothign going back to developers, and high game costs. If you want games cheaper then 59.99, you have to limit used games somehow. Steam’s model requires a limited used game model.

>The thing is, the DRM is really really similar to steam… You can login anywhere and play your games, anyone in your house can play with the family xbox. The only diff is steam you have to sign in before playing, and Xbox does it automatically at night for you (once per 24 hours)

>It’s a long tail strategy, just like steam. Steam had it’s growing pains at the beginning with all it’s drm shit as well. […] For digital downloads steam had no real competition at the time, they were competing against boxed sales. At the time people were pretty irate about steam, (on 4chan too…) It was only once they had a digital marketplace with DRM that was locked down to prevent sharing that they could do super discounted shit.

>Think about it, on steam you get a game for the true cost of the game, 5$-30$. On a console you have to pay for that PLUS any additional licenses for when you sell / trade / borrow / etc. If the developer / publisher can’t get it on additional licenses (like steam), then they charge the first person more. […] If we say “Hey publishers, you limit game to 39.99, we ensure every license transfer you get 10$, gamestop gets 20$” that is a decent model… Microsoft gets a license fee on first and subsequent game purchases, compared to just first now? That’s a revenue increase.

>Competition is the best man, it helps drive both to new heights. See technology from the Cold War. If we had no USSR, we’d be way worse off today. TLDR: Bring it on Steam

2/4

>Yeah we passed that around the office at Xbox. Most of us were like “Well played Sony, Well played”. That being said they are just riding the hype train of ZOMG THEY ARE TRYING TO FUCK US FOR NO REASON. Without actually thinking about how convienent it would be for the majority of the time to not find that disc your brother didn’t put back… […] just simpleminded people not seeing the bigger picture. Some PS4 viral team made them all “U TOOK R DISCS” and they hiveminded.

>Everyone and their mother complains about how gamestop fucks them on their trade ins, getting 5$ for their used games. We come in trying to find a way to take money out of gamestop, and put some in developers and get you possibly cheaper games and everyone bitches at MS. Well, if you want the #$ing from Gamestop, go play PS4.

>The goal is to move to digital downloads, but Gamestop, Walmart, Target, Amazon are KIND OF FUCKING ENTRENCHED in the industry. They have a lot of power, and the shift has to be gradual. Long term goal is steam for consoles. […] If you always want to stay with what you have, then keep current consoles, or a PS4. We’re TRYING to move the industry forwards towards digital distribution… it’sa bumpy road

>Publishers have enourmous power. Microsoft is trying to balance between consumer delight, and publisher wishes. If we cave to far in either direction you have a non-starting product. WiiU goes too far to consumer, you have no 3rd party support to shake a stick at. PS4 is status-quo. XB1 is trying to push some things, at the expense of others. We have a vision, we’ll see if it works in the coming years

>Living room transformation. We want to own the living room. Every living room TV with an XBox on input one. It’s the thing that gives the signal to your TV, everything is secondary. The future, where games, TV, internet telephony, all that shit happens magically on some huge ass screen with hand / voice gestures… That’s our goal.

3/4

>Google TV + PS4 + Minority report level gestures, that combined with a sick second screen experience (which is really hot for TV, I know I know.. tv tv tv tv tv… but it’s fucking sick when you have it). Games will be the same, there are more exclusives to MS then PS atm, and Kinect 2 makes Kinect 1 look like a childs toy.

>By default it’s on, listening for “Xbox On”. You can turn it off tho, and turn the console like OFF off. OFF off is required for Germany / other countries that require it (no vampire appliances) […] It has to be plugged in for the console to post. You can turn off everything it does from the settings. Think of it like airplane mode for the iPhone. You can’t just unplug the cellular radio, but you can turn it off.

>Instead of 10mins, is 24hrs for your console, and 1 or 2 at a friends house. Really the majority of people have a speck of internet at least once a day. And if you don’t. Don’t buy an Xbox 1. Just like if you didn’t have a broadband connection don’t get Live, and if you don’t have an HDTV the 360 isn’t that great for you either. New tech, new req. This allows us to do cool shit when we can assume things like you have a kinect, you have internet, etc.

>Current plan is basically you’re fucked after 24 hours. Yeah… I know. Kind of sucks. I believe they will probably revist the time period and / or find a diff way to “call in” to ensure you haven’t sold your license to gamestop or something… but there is no plan YET. I’m hoping the change it, but I don’t work on that so I don’t have much influence there /sigh

>If the power goes out you ain’t playing shit. I’m assuming you mean the internet goes out but you have power for TV and Xbox. Yes, You’re fucked for single player games. Again, that’s the PoR (Plan of record), but I expect it to change after the e3 clusterfuck

>What fee? There is no fee to play your games at your friends house. Never has, never will. Even x360 digital downloads could do that.

4/4

>The cloud capabilities is the shit they like the most. We basically made a huge cloud compute shit and made it free. What people are doing with it is kind of cool. THe original intention was to get all the Multiplayer servers not requiring 3rd party costs (Like EA shutting down game servers to cut costs), as well as taking all the games that servers hosted by the clients (Halo, etc), and have all that compute done in the cloud allowing more CPU cycles for gameplay. That will really expand what developers can do. Anything that doesn’t need per frame calculation and can handle 100ms delays can be shifted to the cloud. That’s huge.

>SmartGlass + IE is going to be pretty freaking sweet. 1 finger cursor, 2 finger direct manip. Basically if you think of a laptop trackpad where your phone/ slate is the trackpad and the monitor is your TV… it’s that. The tech is there, just needs to be applied. There is some really cool shit going on with Petra + controllers that pairs people with controllers. So if person with controller two trades controlers with controller 1, their profiles magically switch. It’s sick. What does this matter? Now if you lean left/right it knows which person is leaning, even if 4 people are all int he same room. It’s awesome.

>New service using Azure for cloud compute. Allows developers to not use clients for hosting multiplayer servers, or other tasks that do not require per frame calcuations. It’s pretty sweet.

>Honestly, if you care about anything other then pure games AT ALL. Xbox 1 > PS4. If all you do is play games, and nothing else, PS4.

This was all from the Microsoft engineer that was on /b/ last night.

>It’s not worth my time to prove it, or risk my Job. I work in Studio A, 40th ave in Redmond, Wa. The thai place in the studio cafeteria has double punch wednesdays. Go ahead and call them and verify if you want.

Bern
06-20-2013, 12:08 PM
"We want to own the living room."

They want to own more than just that.

ronpaulfollower999
06-20-2013, 12:13 PM
I think I'll get GTA V, but that'll probably be the last video game I get for a while. I'm glad they're making it for PS3.

I'll be perfectly content with GTA and the entire Guitar Hero series.

ronpaulfollower999
06-20-2013, 12:18 PM
Without actually thinking about how convienent it would be for the majority of the time to not find that disc your brother didn’t put back

So they're trying to reward laziness?

Living room transformation. We want to own the living room. Every living room TV with an XBox on input one. It’s the thing that gives the signal to your TV, everything is secondary. The future, where games, TV, internet telephony, all that shit happens magically on some huge ass screen with hand / voice gestures… That’s our goal.

Lol....my WiFi doesn't even reach where my TV and game system are. I've given up playing games online because the connections goes in and out.

>Current plan is basically you’re fucked after 24 hours. Yeah… I know. Kind of sucks. I believe they will probably revist the time period and / or find a diff way to “call in” to ensure you haven’t sold your license to gamestop or something… but there is no plan YET. I’m hoping the change it, but I don’t work on that so I don’t have much influence there /sigh

So what about the millions of people who live in hurricane prone areas that can go without power for weeks? I'd be "fucked" if Florida has another season like 2004.

DamianTV
06-20-2013, 05:50 PM

So what about the millions of people who live in hurricane prone areas that can go without power for weeks? I'd be "fucked" if Florida has another season like 2004.

Oh, but you can tether it to your cell phones internet connection!?!?!

YOU are the product for sale with Microsoft. Not the games, not the console, YOU.

jkr
06-20-2013, 06:14 PM
hahahaha

we DO IT to ourselves!

its like IKEA, they shifted the assembly to the end user...

Nobexliberty
06-21-2013, 07:15 AM
End of the era of consoles, the future of virtual killing belongs to pc.

EvilEngineer
06-21-2013, 10:48 AM
There are 2 ways to beat this spy box.

1. Turn the power strip off when not in use, not just the console. When there is 0 power running to it, it can't operate... period.
2. If you don't want the camera watching you, or the mic listening. Cover the kinect camera and mic.

Presto... it's only on when you want, and only staring at you when a game requires it. (Honestly the kinect games kind of suck anyways, just use the controller)

trey4sports
06-21-2013, 11:20 AM
If you have a problem with the machine watching you, then YOU must have something to hide.

The XBOX can watch me all day, i aint harborin' no turrirists.