PDA

View Full Version : VIDEO: This dude is seriously flirting with this tornado...

Constitutional Paulicy
05-21-2013, 10:17 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=XMF22_MEMJU#!

Warrior_of_Freedom
05-21-2013, 10:18 AM
how many mph does a tornado usually travel?

jllundqu
05-21-2013, 10:26 AM
Impressive vid

Constitutional Paulicy
05-21-2013, 10:41 AM

They average about 30mph. Have been known to travel at speeds of up to 70mph.

nobody's_hero
05-21-2013, 11:55 AM
It really gets me thinking. I know they say you aren't supposed to run from tornadoes, and you really can't predict where they might go, but I look at some of those photos where entire neighborhoods were flattened and I wonder if hunkering down is what I'd do in a situation like this (I live in a trailer home, no basement).

Ever notice how it's the nuts in the vehicles riding around chasing tornadoes who survive these storms? Maybe you would be better off in a moving vehicle than a plywood closet.

Constitutional Paulicy
05-21-2013, 12:12 PM
It really gets me thinking. I know they say you aren't supposed to run from tornadoes, and you really can't predict where they might go, but I look at some of those photos where entire neighborhoods were flattened and I wonder if hunkering down is what I'd do in a situation like this (I live in a trailer home, no basement).

Ever notice how it's the nuts in the vehicles riding around chasing tornadoes who survive these storms? Maybe you would be better off in a moving vehicle than a plywood closet.

I think it varies depending upon circumstances. Living in a trailer home is far too vulnerable to even small events. Being on the move in your case might be advisable. Of course if the tornado were massive in diameter and moving at top notch speed, then hunkering down as you put it would be best given that you were in a soundly constructed building with a basement.

From what I understand the best protection is to climb into a bath tub and cover it with a mattress from you bed.

pcosmar
05-21-2013, 12:25 PM
From what I understand the best protection is to climb into a bath tub and cover it with a mattress from you bed.
Actually, the best is almost anything below ground level. a ditch or culvert in a pinch. but a basement shelter is best.

Once upon a time,, they were common. With thrown up subdivisions of ticky-tack homes, and trailer parks,, less common.

but a place to duck should be survival consideration anywhere in tornado alley. 24/7

kcchiefs6465
05-21-2013, 12:39 PM
65-85 miles per hour is an EF-0 tornado, the lowest class. Above two hundred miles per hour is an EF-5, the highest class.

Most are in the EF-1 or EF-2 catergories. (86-135 MPH) That is just from my experience living in a relatively tornado prone location.

Constitutional Paulicy
05-21-2013, 12:43 PM
65-85 miles per hour is an EF-0 tornado, the lowest class. Above two hundred miles per hour is an EF-5, the highest class.

Most are in the EF-1 or EF-2 catergories. (86-135 MPH) That is just from my experience living in a relatively tornado prone location.

Isn't that within the tornado? I think he was thinking from the standpoint of from point A to point B.

kcchiefs6465
05-21-2013, 12:44 PM
//

S.Shorland
05-21-2013, 12:44 PM
Buy a decommisioned APC from army surplus with a few of your neighbours?

kcchiefs6465
05-21-2013, 12:48 PM
Isn't that within the tornado? I think he was thinking from the standpoint from point A to point B.
Ahhh. :o Yes he was.

I'm not too sure how fast they travel. It's a common consensus not to try to outrun them. A ditch is supposed to be a good spot if you are driving and see a tornado.

It's not really the wind that kills people but the stuff it's blowing. Car windows aren't going to be much help if a street sign comes your way.

Constitutional Paulicy
05-21-2013, 12:49 PM
Buy a decommisioned APC from army surplus with a few of your neighbours?

LOL we could start our own underground community. That would be one way to escape the fed. ;)

TheTexan
05-21-2013, 12:52 PM

Unless the tornado is too close already, or traffic is congested, or the conditions outside make it unsafe to drive (flooding, etc), it is absolutely safer to get in your car and go. They just tell you to hunker down in your house because what works for the one wouldnt work for the many.

Constitutional Paulicy
05-21-2013, 12:55 PM
Unless the tornado is too close already, or traffic is congested, or the conditions outside make it unsafe to drive (flooding, etc), it is absolutely safer to get in your car and go. They just tell you to hunker down in your house because what works for the one wouldnt work for the many.

Actually THEY just want better driving conditions so they can hightail it. :D

S.Shorland
05-21-2013, 12:57 PM
I don't know anything about America or tornadoes but if a group of them can band together and they have the parking space,it's heavy and protected against flying debris?

LOL we could start our own underground community. That would be one way to escape the fed. ;)

05-21-2013, 01:05 PM

I'd get in the car and make a run for it. You can outrun them in a car.

When I lived in PA they happened once and a while, the next town over got hid hard about 10 years ago. When we had the watches and warnings I would get the get the kids dressed and sit on the porch watching the sky with car keys in hand ready to go.

The shelter in place thing is government BS. If you want to survive you save yourself.

05-21-2013, 01:06 PM
I don't know anything about America or tornadoes but if a group of them can band together and they have the parking space,it's heavy and protected against flying debris?

Nope, tornadoes have been known to pick up 18 wheelers and toss them around.

VIDEODROME
05-21-2013, 01:56 PM

I used to be a trucker and had my rig pushed over by wind West of Chicago.

If I was in Pennsylvania I'd wonder how safe those Mountain highway tunnels are.

Matt Collins
05-21-2013, 02:01 PM
They are actually really easy to avoid most of the time since they travel in a linear direction. It's like not getting hit by a train... that of course assumes you can see where it is in relation to where you are.

The debrey field is harder to avoid though.

Vessol
05-21-2013, 03:25 PM

When it's an EF4 or an EF5, if you don't have a basement or underground shelter to get into the best thing to do is to get the heck out.

Main danger is congestion and debris.

Always travel south. Most tornadoes move in a northeastern route.

CPUd
05-21-2013, 04:23 PM

This is from one in Dallas a year or 2 ago:

http://i.imgur.com/J4NjWsl.jpg

After:

http://i.imgur.com/5gR0ayR.jpg

Wolverine302
05-21-2013, 11:01 PM
they're empty, not loaded. but still..

kcchiefs6465
05-21-2013, 11:54 PM
they're empty, not loaded. but still..
I've seen loaded train cars overturned. I doubt they were lifted as those were but it is raw power.

Twigs in telephone poles powerful.