PDA

View Full Version : Faux Newz whines about "Just-Us" dept.

tod evans
05-21-2013, 08:45 AM
I've got no sympathy for this fellow, he was part and parcel of the media that has given government free reign over citizens and now that he's being fitted for a federal suit he wants to whine..

As my dear departed grandmother used to say; "You've buttered your bread, now lie in it."

Justice Department affidavit labels Fox News journalist as possible ‘co-conspirator’

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/05/20/justice-department-obtained-records-fox-news-journalist/?test=latestnews

A Fox News correspondent was accused in a Justice Department affidavit of being a possible criminal "co-conspirator" for his alleged role in publishing sensitive security information -- in a leak case that takes the highly unusual step of claiming a journalist broke the law.
According to court documents, the Justice Department obtained a portfolio of information about Fox News' James Rosen's conversations and visits to the State Department. This included a search warrant for his personal emails.
The effort follows that by the department to secretly obtain two months of phone records from Associated Press journalists as part of a separate leak probe. The department in this case, though, went a step further -- as an FBI agent claimed there's evidence the Fox News correspondent broke the law, "at the very least, either as an aider, abettor and/or co-conspirator."
Michael Clemente, Fox News' executive vice president of news, defended Rosen in a statement issued Monday afternoon.
"We are outraged to learn today that James Rosen was named a criminal co-conspirator for simply doing his job as a reporter," Clemente said. "In fact, it is downright chilling. We will unequivocally defend his right to operate as a member of what up until now has always been a free press."
The case has also caught the attention of Congress. Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla., said in a statement Monday he was "very concerned" about the reports of "possible criminal prosecution for doing what appears to be normal news-gathering protected by the First Amendment."
He added: "The sort of reporting by James Rosen detailed in the report is the same sort of reporting that helped Mr. Rosen aggressively pursue questions about the Administration's handling of Benghazi. National security leaks are criminal and put American lives on the line, and federal prosecutors should, of course, vigorously investigate. But we expect that they do so within the bounds of the law, and that the investigations focus on the leakers within the government -- not on media organizations that have First Amendment protections and serve vital function in our democracy."
In the case involving Rosen, a government adviser was accused of leaking information after a 2009 story was published online which said North Korea planned to respond to looming U.N. sanctions with another nuclear test.
An affidavit entered by FBI agent Reginald Reyes claimed there was "probable cause" to believe Rosen -- identified only as "the reporter" -- had violated a provision of U.S. law barring the unauthorized disclosure of defense information. This is where Reyes labeled Rosen as a possible "co-conspirator" -- an allegation used to gain access to two days' worth of emails.
The search warrant for that request was ultimately approved, the records show.
Investigators, in pursuing the case, also obtained records of Rosen's visits to the State Department headquarters by tracking security-badge information. As first reported by The Washington Post, a court affidavit said they used the badge records to log his visits as well as the movements of the adviser, Stephen Jim-Woo Kim.
The FBI agent said in the affidavit that the visits suggested a "face-to-face" meeting.
According to the Post, investigators also obtained two months of phone records from Kim's office.
Rosen said Monday that "as a reporter, I always honor the confidentiality of my dealings with all of my sources."
He was not contacted by any government or law enforcement representative during the investigation.
White House Press Secretary Jay Carney, asked about the case Monday, said he could not comment on the "ongoing investigation." He said President Obama is a "strong defender of the First Amendment," but also is "insistent that we protect our secrets, that we protect classified information."
The Department of Justice said in a statement Monday that "leaks of classified information to the press can pose a serious risk of harm to our national security and it is important that we pursue these matters using appropriate law enforcement tools."
The U.S. attorney's office for the District of Columbia also said the government, before seeking approval for the search warrant, "exhausted all reasonable non-media alternatives for collecting this evidence."
While Kim has already been indicted, the office said no other charges have been brought. "Based on the investigation and all of the facts known to date, no other individuals, including the reporter, have been charged since Mr. Kim was indicted nearly three years ago," the office said.
Attorney General Eric Holder said at a House hearing last week that he is not interested in prosecuting the press.
"With regard to the potential prosecution of the press for the disclosure of material, that is not something that I've ever been involved in, heard of or would think would be a wise policy," he said on May 15.
The seizure of records from the AP offices also spanned two months.
AP President Gary Pruitt said on CBS' "Face the Nation" Sunday that the AP records grab was not only unconstitutional but damaging to the operation of the press.
"It will hurt," he said. "We're already seeing some impact. Officials are saying they're reluctant to talk."

Zarn Solen
05-21-2013, 08:54 AM
It does not matter if you have no sympathy. The right thing is him going free.

tod evans
05-21-2013, 08:59 AM
It does not matter if you have no sympathy. The right thing is him going free.

Of course it is, "The right thing" is more than half the people currently incarcerated going free too..

"The right thing" is an immediate end to unconstitutional wars....

But you're right, it really doesn't matter what I think..

paulbot24
05-21-2013, 09:04 AM
You could also say the "right thing" would have been for the media to challenge NDAA for all of us when they took it to federal court, instead of just coercing the government into letting them have "privileged status" which used to be called due process.

Zarn Solen
05-21-2013, 09:05 AM
A man going to jail for being a journalist is score one for tyranny every single time.

I didn't criticize you on what you thought. I criticized you on basing your judgement on feelings.

JK/SEA
05-21-2013, 09:05 AM
''we got ANOTHER one that can see''

--They Live....

supermario21
05-21-2013, 09:10 AM
At least "Faux News" gives Judge Nap quite a platform (especially recently) and he's on pretty much every day now. He alone makes the channel worth watching!

paulbot24
05-21-2013, 10:05 AM
At least "Faux News" gives Judge Nap quite a platform (especially recently) and he's on pretty much every day now. He alone makes the channel worth watching!

They're hedging their bets by generically endorsing liberty since most of their audience is beginning to need oxygen tanks to get around and more excited about the word "Bingo" than Liberty.

Aratus
05-21-2013, 02:14 PM
FOX is often tabloid. this is one of the few times
when they went out on a limb akin to the WaPo
did during the height of the Watergate scandal?

NERVE
05-21-2013, 02:45 PM
Haha it is kinda funny to see CBS and fox cry about this stuff. At the same time we have to make sure this stuff doesn't happen even to these pricks. How do we do that I'm not really sure.

HOLLYWOOD
05-21-2013, 03:17 PM
'Faux Newz whines about "Just-Us" dept.'

FOX NEWS / NEWSCORP / Wall Street Journal

Same corporation that reported last week that Obama was the 'ISOLATION PRESIDENT' ...lol!

Fascist Fox Corporate Media... "We Love Propaganda & Monopolies... 'Just-Us' doing it."

tod evans
05-22-2013, 06:29 AM
Just looked at their front page this morning and they're ramping up...

There's even a poll about "Out of control government" that tries to paint Puppet Obama as the scapegoat..

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/05/21/fox-news-poll-obama-ratings-dip-voters-say-government-out-control/

amy31416
05-22-2013, 07:57 AM
Haha it is kinda funny to see CBS and fox cry about this stuff. At the same time we have to make sure this stuff doesn't happen even to these pricks. How do we do that I'm not really sure.

So distasteful, yet it's the right thing to do. I'd be fine with it so long as we can rub their noses in it every two seconds or so.