PDA

View Full Version : Elderly Woman Dies in Court "Gasping for Breath" After Sheriff's Deputies "Callously" Ref

squarepusher
05-21-2013, 05:44 AM
Elderly Woman Dies in Court "Gasping for Breath" After Sheriff's Deputies "Callously" Refused to Give Her Medication, Daughter Claims
http://www.alternet.org/elderly-woman-dies-court-gasping-breath-after-sheriffs-deputies-callously-refused-give-her?paging=off

The deceased, who was fighting a traffic ticket, suffered from asthma -- but deputies accused her of faking, suit filed in court argues.

May 20, 2013 |

MONTGOMERY, Ala. (CN) - A woman died on a courthouse floor because Alabama sheriff's deputies refused to give her her medicine - after arresting her for an old traffic ticket, the woman's daughter claims in court.
Ayunna Johnae London sued St. Clair County Sheriff Terry Surles, jail administrators Austin Nash and Terry Marcrum, Southern Healthcare Partners, and its employee Jennifer Eisel, in Federal Court.
London claims her mother, Dwana Voncia London-Richardson, died gasping for breath in court after callous and unconstitutional treatment from the defendants.
Richardson suffered from asthma and other serious health problems, but the defendants refused to give her her medication, accused her of faking, and let her die in the courtroom, her daughter claims.
Southern Healthcare Partners, which provided medical care to inmates at the St. Clair County Jail, failed to treat her mother properly, London says.
Her 45-year-old mother died in May 2011 at the St. Clair County Courthouse while in the sheriff's custody.
Richardson was arrested on May 19, 2011, in Tarrant City, Ala., for failing to pay a 2008 traffic ticket. She was sent to the St. Clair County Jail.
London claims that when she visited her mom in jail two days later, her mother could hardly walk, had trouble breathing and complained of pain in both legs.
London claims the jail staff refused to give her mom her asthma medication and stopped other inmates from helping her.
"Ms. Richardson told Ayunna that she was sick, that both her legs were hurting her so badly that she could not walk to the tray area to pick up her food, and that they would not give her her medicine," the complaint states.
"Ms. Richardson told Ayunna that several of the inmates were trying to help her out by going to get her tray for her, since she could hardly walk, but the jailers told them that they were 'babying' her, and moved Ms. Richardson to a different area in the jail, away from the inmates that were trying to help her."
Jail staff refused to take Richardson to the hospital, despite her worsening condition, her daughter says.
On May 23, deputies took her mother to court and ignored her need for medical care until it was too late, London says.
"Ayunna headed to the St. Clair County Courthouse early that morning," the complaint states. "She could not locate where court was being held. She saw deputy (or jailer) John Doe standing at the fire station, talking to a firefighter so she pulled into the station to ask where court was being held.
"When she pulled into the fire station, she saw her mother lying on the ground next to the police car with her legs extended under the police car.
"She asked them what had happened and her mother told her that she did not know, that she had just passed out. Ms. Richardson was sweating and struggling breathing.
"Ayunna had one of her mother's asthma pumps in her car so she asked if her mother could sit in her car and get some air.
"Ayunna gave her mother the asthma pump but it was not working. Her mother's breathing continued to get worse."
London says the deputies still refused to take her mom to the hospital, and said would be locked up if she didn't keep her court date.
"Ms. Richardson was unable to walk," the complaint states. "Deputy (or jailer) Doe obtained an office chair from the courthouse and they used it to wheel Ms. Richardson to the courtroom.
"Ayunna set beside deputy (or jailer) Doe and her mother, fanning her mother, whose breathing continued to get worse.
"After sitting in the courtroom waiting for about twenty minutes, Ms. Richardson stated that she 'could not take anymore,' and she told deputy/jailer Doe that she needed help.
"Ayunna also pleaded with deputy/jailer Doe to get someone to help her mother.
"Deputy/jailer Doe responded as though he believed Ms. Richardson was just putting on.
"Ms. Richardson then stated 'I need to lay down.'
"Ms. Richardson laid down on the courtroom floor and her body started to shaking.
"Deputy/jailer Doe took no action to assist Ms. Richardson or to clear the courtroom.
"Everyone in the courtroom watched as Ms. Richardson died in court, on the courtroom floor.
"Ayunna stayed beside her mother trying to do CPR to bring her back for about twenty minutes, but she failed."
Emergency personnel arrived 45 minutes later and took Richardson, who was unresponsive, to the hospital.
London says her mother was pronounced dead within 5 minutes of arriving at the hospital.
She seeks punitive damages for constitutional violations, wrongful death and negligence.
She is represented by Charles Tatum Jr. of Jasper, Ala

asurfaholic
05-21-2013, 05:52 AM
Sad sad. The woman would still be alive if it was not for the inaction of court staff.

That spells murder.

RockEnds
05-21-2013, 06:04 AM
That's a horrible story, and I hope the daughter wins her suit, not that it will bring her mother back, but it's probably the closest thing to justice she'll get. I wish I was more shocked that it was even possible.

But I'm feeling really elderly right now. Apparently the elderly woman was younger than me. The article states she was 45.

asurfaholic
05-21-2013, 06:22 AM
That's a horrible story, and I hope the daughter wins her suit, not that it will bring her mother back, but it's probably the closest thing to justice she'll get. I wish I was more shocked that it was even possible.

But I'm feeling really elderly right now. Apparently the elderly woman was younger than me. The article states she was 45.

That might be a media manipulation of the story as part of its bigger job in protecting our "protectors."

Gently massage it into your brain that the woman (might) have died cause she was old. Not because she had a treatable condition. How many people in prison are denied their mental medicines I wonder ?

Anti Federalist
05-21-2013, 06:23 AM
Richardson suffered from asthma and other serious health problems, but the defendants refused to give her her medication, accused her of faking, and let her die in the courtroom, her daughter claims.

Taught her not to pay traffic tickets.

Zero Tolerance.

Anti Federalist
05-21-2013, 06:29 AM
That might be a media manipulation of the story as part of its bigger job in protecting our "protectors."

Gently massage it into your brain that the woman (might) have died cause she was old. Not because she had a treatable condition. How many people in prison are denied their mental medicines I wonder ?

Great point...to a person not paying attention, yes, it would read as an elderly, frail, woman who probably would have died anyway, so what the cops did really wasn't all that bad, now was it?

Not a middle aged woman who could have easily survived had she been given access to the medications needed, and left to die while her "protectors" laughed and mocked and scorned her as she lay gasping her last.

Don't tell me for one fucking second that these motherfuckers will not follow orders when the time comes.

They will put a bullet in your brain, kick your body in the mass grave, repeat a 1000 times a day and go home to BBQ and football, without a single second thought, proud that they did their duty to rid the Homeland of scumbags, fakers, enemies of the state and terrorists.

You have been warned.

RockEnds
05-21-2013, 06:44 AM

Maybe. I have been called elderly. Recently. But I don't take my ex seriously. Besides, that youngin, who is now counting the days until he's no longer in his 30s, looks older than me. He really needs to eat better. ;)

Anyway you cut it, it's disturbing to realize that I was more shocked to hear a 45-year-old woman called elderly than to learn she died in custody as a result of denial of medical care while being held on something as minor as a traffic ticket.

Origanalist
05-21-2013, 06:55 AM
Maybe. I have been called elderly. Recently. But I don't take my ex seriously. Besides, that youngin, who is now counting the days until he's no longer in his 30s, looks older than me. He really needs to eat better. ;)

Anyway you cut it, it's disturbing to realize that I was more shocked to hear a 45-year-old woman called elderly than to learn she died in custody as a result of denial of medical care while being held on something as minor as a traffic ticket.

If she was elderly, I must be ancient. But I do get your point, while these stories hurt, they no longer surprise.

RockEnds
05-21-2013, 07:33 AM
If she was elderly, I must be ancient. But I do get your point, while these stories hurt, they no longer surprise.

Yep. Just imagine the public outcry that would result if this 'elderly' woman received the same treatment while in custody:

*Eh, the 49-year-old First Lady's picture wouldn't post for some reason*
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/first-family/8491445521_3a8617c53d_b.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.whitehouse.gov/about/first-ladies/michelleobama&h=1024&w=681&sz=280&tbnid=1lONp9IAqsEiNM:&tbnh=94&tbnw=63&zoom=1&usg=__v_-DADgZO16H1o0WDmUrTV_oczk=&docid=TkQ6VkommMmn_M&hl=en&sa=X&ei=vnWbUZigMozvqQG2s4CQDw&sqi=2&ved=0CJEBEP4dMA8

The original article would be more appropriately entitled, "Poor Woman Who Couldn't Afford Due Process Murdered by Disinterested and Unaccountable Government Officials".

asurfaholic
05-21-2013, 07:35 AM

Lol..

I'm almost in my 30s, does that make me middle aged?

tod evans
05-21-2013, 07:39 AM
Lol..

Not to me, you're young enough to be my child............By several years:o

liberty2897
05-21-2013, 07:42 AM
Not being able to breath from asthma would be a horrible way to die. I would rather have a bullet in the head... I'm sure that will start becoming a more commonplace punishment for traffic violations soon.
Rest in peace Ayunna Johnae London

phill4paul
05-21-2013, 08:36 AM
Your government cares about you. It provides safety and security. Your well being is its number one concern. Wash/rinse/repeat.

jkr
05-21-2013, 08:37 AM
SO...

..."They" KILLED HER

I H8 "they"

erowe1
05-21-2013, 08:43 AM
"Elderly" in the headline is ridiculous.

I wonder how old her poor daughter is.

RockEnds
05-21-2013, 08:44 AM
Lol..

Yes. Yes, you're old.

Dr.3D
05-21-2013, 09:45 AM
"Elderly" in the headline is ridiculous.

I wonder how old her poor daughter is.

Maybe the story was written by a 12 year old.

FindLiberty
05-21-2013, 10:53 AM
Maybe the story was written by a 12 year old. ;-)

IMO, those painful blood clots in her legs finally moved on into her lungs where the fatal trouble occurred (were her lips turning blue?). The air side of the lungs and denying access to her asthma rescue inhaler may not have even been a factor. What a sad and unnecessary way for an accused scofflaw mundane to die.

Was she properly hydrated? Was she restrained or had her legs chained to prevent movement as part of the ritual of humiliation / punishment or retribution for contesting her ticket? Who on the jailhouse/court staff was responsible for monitoring the overall condition of the prisoner? Was access to proper medical aid denied by unknown sub-human goons working directly for the agency of coercion and force, or can this all be blamed on a sub-contractor?

That jailhouse staff has still earned their 3rd place prize:
"Murder in the third degree is killing someone without premeditation and intent ... without regard for human life."
Too bad this happened and they will get off without even a stern warning to be more careful next time.

P.S., UNRELATED TECHNICAL QUESTION: Why the heck does my PC's return key NO LONGER WORK AT ALL while typing directly into this RPF reply window? (it was necessary to paste ASCII returns to prevent the "wall-o-text" phenomena). I can feel the breath of big-brother monitoring my keystrokes...

Dr.3D
05-21-2013, 11:06 AM
Elderly Woman Dies in Court "Gasping for Breath" After Sheriff's Deputies "Callously" Refused to Give Her Medication, Daughter Claims
http://www.alternet.org/elderly-woman-dies-court-gasping-breath-after-sheriffs-deputies-callously-refused-give-her?paging=off

The deceased, who was fighting a traffic ticket, suffered from asthma -- but deputies accused her of faking, suit filed in court argues.

~snip

It's pretty hard to fake death in a situation like that.

Now that she is dead, do they believe her story?

fisharmor
05-21-2013, 11:19 AM
They will put a bullet in your brain, kick your body in the mass grave, repeat a 1000 times a day and go home to BBQ and football, without a single second thought, proud that they did their duty to rid the Homeland of scumbags, fakers, enemies of the state and terrorists.

This is why I place absolutely no importance on anything Stewart Rhodes does... maybe you could call out some of your own, Stew?

You're not officially middle-aged until you've had at least one argument with your wife over motorcycles.

Now that she is dead, do they believe her story?

Does it matter?
In the real world, when real people solve real problems, they tend to look at prevention.
There's no way to prevent this. The state exists: therefore, people will die unjustly at the hands of the state.
It's kind of what it does.....

AlexAmore
05-21-2013, 11:37 AM
If I was in that situation with my mom I would have gotten her the medication in that trial room or died trying.

I used to have asthma into my teens. Just a little puff or two of albuterol from a pocket sized device probably could have prevented her death.

Neil Desmond
05-21-2013, 12:18 PM
Sad sad. The woman would still be alive if it was not for the inaction of court staff.

That spells murder.
Yes, it does! Hang the stupid fuckers!

fisharmor
05-21-2013, 12:23 PM
If I was in that situation with my mom I would have gotten her the medication in that trial room or died trying.

"If they come smashing into your house in the middle of the night with no warning, you've got a choice, don't you? You can lawfully die. Or you can constitutionally live."
-G. Gordon Liddy

Warrior_of_Freedom
05-21-2013, 12:36 PM
"If they come smashing into your house in the middle of the night with no warning, you've got a choice, don't you? You can lawfully die. Or you can constitutionally live."
-G. Gordon Liddy

Only the cowardly attack their enemy while they sleep