PDA

View Full Version : NSA doesn't want to pay "taxes" on the 40 million annual power bill to spy on you.

liberty2897
05-20-2013, 06:52 PM
btw, this is just one of the data centers.

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/13/05/20/2213205/nsa-data-center-the-focus-of-tax-controversy

Nerval's Lobster writes
"Location is everything when choosing the site of a data center. Firms such as Microsoft and Google and Facebook spend a lot of time looking into the costs of land, power, regulation and taxes before placing their respective data centers in a particular place. Sometimes, that local tax bill comes into play in a big way. Just ask the National Security Agency which learned it faces a multimillion-dollar annual state tax on the power consumed by its new data center in Camp Williams, south of Salt Lake City. The Salt Lake Tribune obtained a series of email exchanges between the feds and the state, with the NSA protesting a $2.4 million tax on its annual power expenditure, pegged at about $40 million. Harvey Davis, director of installations and logistics for the NSA, sent a letter (subsequently quoted by the newspaper) to state officials that made the logistics argument: 'Long-term stability in the utility rates was a major factor in Utah being selected as our site for our $1.5bn construction at Camp Williams. HP325 [the new law] runs counter to what we expected.'"

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/politics/56304956-90/utah-data-nsa-mida.html.csp
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NSA_electronic_surveillance_program

Uriel999
05-20-2013, 06:56 PM
btw, this is just one of the data centers.

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/13/05/20/2213205/nsa-data-center-the-focus-of-tax-controversy

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/politics/56304956-90/utah-data-nsa-mida.html.csp
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NSA_electronic_surveillance_program

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Dear NSA...since I know your logging this, and will eventually get around to reading this comment whenever you get around to it one day...go fuck yourself. No seriously, though....go fuck yourselves.

Anti Federalist
05-20-2013, 07:29 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Dear NSA...since I know your logging this, and will eventually get around to reading this comment whenever you get around to it one day...go fuck yourself. No seriously, though....go fuck yourselves.

Yes, I concur, thoroughly, go and fuck yourselves, with an iron pipe.

paulbot24
05-20-2013, 07:48 PM

A big fat evil "black as an AR-15" iron assault pipe.

kathy88
05-20-2013, 07:52 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

My sentiments exactly. Assholes.

satchelmcqueen
05-20-2013, 08:12 PM
bullet colored
A big fat evil "black as an AR-15" iron assault pipe.

ninepointfive
05-20-2013, 08:14 PM
idiots - all of them. utah? Utah is a scorched desert. better be buried underground.

Anti Federalist
05-20-2013, 08:18 PM
idiots - all of them. utah? Utah is a scorched desert. better be buried underground.

You haven't seen it?

This goes here, I guess:

The NSA Is Building the Country’s Biggest Spy Center (Watch What You Say)

By James Bamford 03.15.12 7:24 PM

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/03/ff_nsadatacenter/

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/wp-content/gallery/20-04/ff_nsadatacenter_f.jpg

The spring air in the small, sand-dusted town has a soft haze to it, and clumps of green-gray sagebrush rustle in the breeze. Bluffdale sits in a bowl-shaped valley in the shadow of Utah’s Wasatch Range to the east and the Oquirrh Mountains to the west. It’s the heart of Mormon country, where religious pioneers first arrived more than 160 years ago. They came to escape the rest of the world, to understand the mysterious words sent down from their god as revealed on buried golden plates, and to practice what has become known as “the principle,” marriage to multiple wives.
Magazine2004

Today Bluffdale is home to one of the nation’s largest sects of polygamists, the Apostolic United Brethren, with upwards of 9,000 members. The brethren’s complex includes a chapel, a school, a sports field, and an archive. Membership has doubled since 1978—and the number of plural marriages has tripled—so the sect has recently been looking for ways to purchase more land and expand throughout the town.

But new pioneers have quietly begun moving into the area, secretive outsiders who say little and keep to themselves. Like the pious polygamists, they are focused on deciphering cryptic messages that only they have the power to understand. Just off Beef Hollow Road, less than a mile from brethren headquarters, thousands of hard-hatted construction workers in sweat-soaked T-shirts are laying the groundwork for the newcomers’ own temple and archive, a massive complex so large that it necessitated expanding the town’s boundaries. Once built, it will be more than five times the size of the US Capitol.

Rather than Bibles, prophets, and worshippers, this temple will be filled with servers, computer intelligence experts, and armed guards. And instead of listening for words flowing down from heaven, these newcomers will be secretly capturing, storing, and analyzing vast quantities of words and images hurtling through the world’s telecommunications networks. In the little town of Bluffdale, Big Love and Big Brother have become uneasy neighbors.
The NSA has become the largest, most covert, and potentially most intrusive intelligence agency ever.

Under construction by contractors with top-secret clearances, the blandly named Utah Data Center is being built for the National Security Agency. A project of immense secrecy, it is the final piece in a complex puzzle assembled over the past decade. Its purpose: to intercept, decipher, analyze, and store vast swaths of the world’s communications as they zap down from satellites and zip through the underground and undersea cables of international, foreign, and domestic networks. The heavily fortified $2 billion center should be up and running in September 2013. Flowing through its servers and routers and stored in near-bottomless databases will be all forms of communication, including the complete contents of private emails, cell phone calls, and Google searches, as well as all sorts of personal data trails—parking receipts, travel itineraries, bookstore purchases, and other digital “pocket litter.” It is, in some measure, the realization of the “total information awareness” program created during the first term of the Bush administration—an effort that was killed by Congress in 2003 after it caused an outcry over its potential for invading Americans’ privacy.

But “this is more than just a data center,” says one senior intelligence official who until recently was involved with the program. The mammoth Bluffdale center will have another important and far more secret role that until now has gone unrevealed. It is also critical, he says, for breaking codes. And code-breaking is crucial, because much of the data that the center will handle—financial information, stock transactions, business deals, foreign military and diplomatic secrets, legal documents, confidential personal communications—will be heavily encrypted. According to another top official also involved with the program, the NSA made an enormous breakthrough several years ago in its ability to cryptanalyze, or break, unfathomably complex encryption systems employed by not only governments around the world but also many average computer users in the US. The upshot, according to this official: “Everybody’s a target; everybody with communication is a target.”

For the NSA, overflowing with tens of billions of dollars in post-9/11 budget awards, the cryptanalysis breakthrough came at a time of explosive growth, in size as well as in power. Established as an arm of the Department of Defense following Pearl Harbor, with the primary purpose of preventing another surprise assault, the NSA suffered a series of humiliations in the post-Cold War years. Caught offguard by an escalating series of terrorist attacks—the first World Trade Center bombing, the blowing up of US embassies in East Africa, the attack on the USS Cole in Yemen, and finally the devastation of 9/11—some began questioning the agency’s very reason for being. In response, the NSA has quietly been reborn. And while there is little indication that its actual effectiveness has improved—after all, despite numerous pieces of evidence and intelligence-gathering opportunities, it missed the near-disastrous attempted attacks by the underwear bomber on a flight to Detroit in 2009 and by the car bomber in Times Square in 2010—there is no doubt that it has transformed itself into the largest, most covert, and potentially most intrusive intelligence agency ever created.

In the process—and for the first time since Watergate and the other scandals of the Nixon administration—the NSA has turned its surveillance apparatus on the US and its citizens. It has established listening posts throughout the nation to collect and sift through billions of email messages and phone calls, whether they originate within the country or overseas. It has created a supercomputer of almost unimaginable speed to look for patterns and unscramble codes. Finally, the agency has begun building a place to store all the trillions of words and thoughts and whispers captured in its electronic net. And, of course, it’s all being done in secret. To those on the inside, the old adage that NSA stands for Never Say Anything applies more than ever.

Anti Federalist
05-20-2013, 08:19 PM
NSA = Never Say Anything.

ninepointfive
05-20-2013, 08:19 PM
yeah, i remembered that picture, +1 for posting the info

DamianTV
05-20-2013, 08:22 PM
We're teh Govt! Why should we pay taxes to ourselves? :p

Anti Federalist
05-20-2013, 08:23 PM
yeah, i remembered that picture, +1 for posting the info

That was over a year ago now.

Note that it wasn't long after it was built that the government announced, very nonchalantly, that yes, they are monitoring everything and keeping everything.

And not a fuck is given...not one person out of ten thousand would know about this, not one in 100,000 would be angry about it.

DamianTV
05-20-2013, 08:23 PM

Just make sure its a Rusty Iron Pipe, and you'll see how effective that Govt Issued Tetanus Shot works... Oh it doesnt? Well get another pipe and keep trying until you fuckers get it right!

ninepointfive
05-20-2013, 08:25 PM
Just make sure its a Rusty Iron Pipe, and you'll see how effective that Govt Issued Tetanus Shot works... Oh it doesnt? Well get another pipe and keep trying until you fuckers get it right!

flesh embedded rust pockets

Anti Federalist
05-20-2013, 08:25 PM

Now we know where IRS is gonna get all the financial data to mine.

Welp, we tried to warn them...now we reap the whirlwind.

Warrior_of_Freedom
05-20-2013, 08:47 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Get ready for them to discover some illegal pictures on your PC. You asked for it

ninepointfive
05-20-2013, 08:49 PM
Get ready for them to discover some illegal pictures on your PC. You asked for it

i read offhand that there was an nsa or other three letter organization of the gov virus that infects your pc secretly with kidd pics, and then whenever you're high profile enough they can bust you. I can't source it, and maybe it wasn't true - but it does come to mind.

LibertyEagle
05-20-2013, 08:53 PM
Kick the a**h*les out!!

Warrior_of_Freedom
05-20-2013, 08:58 PM
i read offhand that there was an nsa or other three letter organization of the gov virus that infects your pc secretly with kidd pics, and then whenever you're high profile enough they can bust you. I can't source it, and maybe it wasn't true - but it does come to mind.
In reality just the accusation is enough to ruin you and make nobody want to hire you. Look what happened to July4Patriot. Accused him of molesting a young child, his life is ruined now despite being acquitted of the charges.

phill4paul
05-20-2013, 09:00 PM
Kick the a**h*les out!!

Kick who out? The bad Dems? The bad Reps? Who should I vote for? Or out? The Dems don't want me. The Neo-Reps don't want me. The CCC "Conservative/Christian/Constitutionalists" think I'm an embarrassment. Oh, my. Ya'll sort it out and war between yourselves. Let me know how your 51/51 split keeps leading you back to where you've always been.

ninepointfive
05-20-2013, 09:00 PM
In reality just the accusation is enough to ruin you and make nobody want to hire you. Look what happened to July4Patriot. Accused him of molesting a young child, his life is ruined now despite being acquitted of the charges.

Tried looking into him, and didn't really find any meaningful updates.

Warrior_of_Freedom
05-20-2013, 09:01 PM
Tried looking into him, and didn't really find any meaningful updates.

I think anyone would shut up after being accused of that and having their house magically burned down.

ninepointfive
05-20-2013, 09:05 PM
I think anyone would shut up after being accused of that and having their house magically burned down.

he seemed to have a passion, but knowing what's happened in my personal life - I can understand.

But there's really not one thing at least as of two months ago that I could find. everything is as dead for info as of about two years ago.