PDA

View Full Version : Anti-Science Climate Deniers On The Retreat In Germany

jmdrake
05-20-2013, 04:57 PM
Please read the article and don't just respond to the title. You may be pleasantly surprised. ;) And thanks to Natural Citizen for turning me on to this particular science journalist. And I renew his call for a science subforum.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jamestaylor/2012/12/06/anti-science-climate-deniers-on-the-retreat-in-germany/

The Scientific Method struck a valiant blow against climate denialism in Germany this week, as scientists from around the globe gathered to sort out climate change facts from fiction. The climate change conference, hosted by the European Institute for Climate and Energy (known by its German acronym EIKE) and cosponsored by the Heartland Institute, attracted nearly 200 attendees and marks ongoing global momentum in favor of sound science and against factually unsupported alarmism.

American atmospheric physicist S. Fred Singer, whose resume of scientific accomplishments runs longer than Al Gore’s obscene electricity usage (see here), explained how natural variance accounts for most of the global warming of the past century. The German attendees treated Singer like a rock star. Nils-Axel Morner, former head of the Paleogeophysics and Geodynamics Department at Stockholm University, documented a dramatic deceleration of sea level rise during the past 40 years. Nir Shaviv, a professor of astrophysics at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, showed how cosmic rays account for much recent global warming. Journalist Donna Laframboise related how she discovered an appalling prevalence of incompetence and bias among lead authors for the United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change.

Contrary To What You Hear, Global Warming Has Been Good To Africa
James Taylor
Contributor

Republicans Criticize The Chevy Volt And Solyndra Despite Their Own Green Scandals
James Taylor
Contributor

The Skeptics Are Thrashing The Alarmists In The Global Warming Debate
James Taylor
Contributor

Fibbing About His Viewership, Al Gore's Credibility Took Another Beating This Week
James Taylor
Contributor
The conference’s unmistakable lesson was that the scientific evidence is woefully short of supporting alarmist assertions that humans are causing a global warming crisis. To the extent the scientific evidence leads to a particular conclusion, the conclusion is that humans are modestly enhancing a natural warming cycle that fortunately rescued the planet from the Little Ice Age.

Several scientists pointed out that during most of the past 10,000 years, the time period since the last full-blown ice age glaciation ended, global temperatures were warmer than today. Global warming may be occurring, but global temperatures are far from surpassing the warmth experienced for much of the past 10,000 years.

The scientists documented how warming and cooling spells, many of which were more dramatic than our recent warming, have always occurred during the earth’s history. The mere fact that our present day climate shows a “climate change” of modest warming is far from unusual. Only climate change denialists assert that climate change is not a natural and ongoing occurrence.

This leads us back to the Scientific Method versus climate deniers. The Scientific Method demands a constant testing of theories. Under the Scientific Method, when a scientist proposes a scientific theory, she or he vigorously attempts to prove the theory wrong and then encourages others to do the same. Vigorous discussion and debate are encouraged, not vilified.

On the other hand, anti-science deniers pretend the Scientific Method doesn’t exist. Rather than encourage vigorous testing of scientific theories, they attempt to shout down the testers as “anti-science.” When someone challenges a particular scientific theory – again, something that is at the very heart of the Scientific Method – the deniers accuse the challenger as “attacking scientists” or “attacking science” itself.

“This conference shows that a growing number of people are challenging global warming alarmism even here in Germany, where alarmism is most deeply entrenched,” conference organizer Wolfgang Muller explained after the event. “Every year the conference grows in size and political impact. The government hates us for it.”

Scoreboard:

Scientific Method 1

Anti-science denialism 0

PaulConventionWV
05-20-2013, 05:51 PM
I don't get it. In the same paragraph, they say: "The Scientific Method struck a valiant blow against climate denialism in Germany this week" and in the next sentence, "The climate change conference, hosted by the European Institute for Climate and Energy (known by its German acronym EIKE) and cosponsored by the Heartland Institute, attracted nearly 200 attendees and marks ongoing global momentum in favor of sound science and against factually unsupported alarmism."

Why the contradiction?

jmdrake
05-20-2013, 06:28 PM
I don't get it. In the same paragraph, they say: "The Scientific Method struck a valiant blow against climate denialism in Germany this week" and in the next sentence, "The climate change conference, hosted by the European Institute for Climate and Energy (known by its German acronym EIKE) and cosponsored by the Heartland Institute, attracted nearly 200 attendees and marks ongoing global momentum in favor of sound science and against factually unsupported alarmism."

Why the contradiction?

He's reversing the way the language is used. He's calling those who believe in man-made global warming the "climate deniers" because they deny that the climate changes on it's own regardless of what man does. Brilliant!

Warrior_of_Freedom
05-20-2013, 06:29 PM
I know climate change is bullshit because they want my money

Antischism
05-20-2013, 07:37 PM
Nils-Axel Morner? Lol.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/georgemonbiot/2011/dec/02/spectator-sea-level-claims

Both extreme sides of the climate debate are stupid. As I said before, the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

paulbot24
05-20-2013, 08:07 PM

Agreed. Anybody that claims to understand a science that is beyond my "lowly" comprehension but somehow is still in need of my money because they in all their scholarliness and federal grant money can't make their own ends meet is when I start looking for the door.

Origanalist
05-20-2013, 08:14 PM
Agreed. Anybody that claims to understand a science that is beyond my "lowly" comprehension but somehow is still in need of my money because they in all their scholarliness and federal grant money can't make their own ends meet is when I start looking for the door.

http://ts2.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4535370524198721&pid=15.1

Henry Rogue
05-20-2013, 09:31 PM
Money driving scientific conclusions, who'da thunk it.

Warlord
05-20-2013, 09:40 PM
Godfrey Bloom does it better drake:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tg-84-LRhqc

If you want to see more of Godfrey check out his Alex Jones appearence:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?413769-Godfrey-Bloom-MEP-%28UKIP%29

Aratus
05-20-2013, 09:44 PM
Nils-Axel Morner? Lol.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/georgemonbiot/2011/dec/02/spectator-sea-level-claims

Both extreme sides of the climate debate are stupid. As I said before, the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

safe assessment!!!! we know CO2 warms things up, but that a major shift in climate has short, abrupt & severe interludes
where just about anything can happen before a pattern develops. we might have a mini ice age before a heat spell in full. http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=video-the-mysterious-down The mysterious fate of the Neanderthals could be climate change linked!

Warrior_of_Freedom
05-20-2013, 09:52 PM
anyway the destruction of the ozone layer is much more serious than the temperature of the planet

John F Kennedy III
05-20-2013, 10:29 PM
anyway the destruction of the ozone layer is much more serious than the temperature of the planet

Random thought: Would a giant hole in the ozone layer help postpone or weaken an ice age?

liberty2897
05-20-2013, 10:39 PM
Random thought: Would a giant hole in the ozone layer help postpone or weaken an ice age?

If you're willing to write a proposal for a federal research grant, I'd like to help out. First we need a really really huge laser... we might need 4 of them. Then we need an ice-age or two... or maybe none if we want to prove it works.

bolil
05-21-2013, 12:10 AM
What is interesting is I came to this conclusion without any data or method... just thought. Please refer to me as Bolil Hawkings from now on, thanks.

Neil Desmond
05-21-2013, 12:46 AM
Tried to +Rep, get this instead: "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Warrior_of_Freedom again."