PDA

View Full Version : 12:1 call ratio AGAINST Internet Sales Tax to Congressmen

Matt Collins
05-20-2013, 07:59 AM
Congresscritters are getting 12 calls against the Internet sales tax mandate for every 1 call they get in support of it:
http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2013/may/19/tennessee-congressmen-struggling-with-internet/

jmdrake
05-20-2013, 08:09 AM
Great!

nobody's_hero
05-20-2013, 09:47 AM
I wish I could say this is a good sign but let's not forget during the bailouts that Sen. Feinstein got up and declared that some 80,000-90,000 calls flooded her office opposed to the bailout and then proceeded to imply that the American people were just really stupid and didn't know what was going on.

The fact that she's still a senator leads me to believe she was right on the stupid and clueless accusation.

We'll see. I've called my Rep. Sanford Bishop (D) but whether he is for or against it depends solely on what the president wants.

Zippyjuan
05-20-2013, 11:04 AM
That measures the intensity of people on the issue. If you agree with the proposal, you are less likely to call and say "great job"- if you hate it, then you call. Not any real public sentiment poll.

jclay2
05-20-2013, 11:09 AM
I wish I could say this is a good sign but let's not forget during the bailouts that Sen. Feinstein got up and declared that some 80,000-90,000 calls flooded her office opposed to the bailout and then proceeded to imply that the American people were just really stupid and didn't know what was going on.

The fact that she's still a senator leads me to believe she was right on the stupid and clueless accusation.

We'll see. I've called my Rep. Sanford Bishop (D) but whether he is for or against it depends solely on what the president wants.

Truth. The will of the people does not matter. It could be a million calls and the den of thieves will still go on with their plan.

Anti Federalist
05-20-2013, 11:15 AM
That measures the intensity of people on the issue. If you agree with the proposal, you are less likely to call and say "great job"- if you hate it, then you call. Not any real public sentiment poll.

And thus, can be safely ignored as well as proving the point that writing strongly worded letters of disapproval and polite but firm phone calls of disapproval, directed at Mordor on the Potomac, is pointless.

FSP-Rebel
05-20-2013, 11:36 AM
And thus, can be safely ignored as well as proving the point that writing strongly worded letters of disapproval and polite but firm phone calls of disapproval, directed at Mordor on the Potomac, is pointless.

I'd say that because there is such a large amount of calls coming in, there is a more than usual saber rattling by We the People going on here. Rallying more of the dormant Americans to voice their dissent is not pointless even tho it is to you so it fits with your meme of doing nothing in this form of political activism. I say we give Massie and co all the help they can get by blowing up the phone lines on this. In the past, the problem has been it's rare when even people who are conservatives have never called their congressman on anything yet complain ad nauseum. Furthermore, those that have called leave it at that w/o applying any additional pressure to said reps. Here in MI, our C4L group does all of the above and don't stop til we get our way and it's starting to pan out in many areas. The point is to use issues like this to bring more people out of their slumber, mobilize them and keep them engaged for future and graver issues/campaigns, not check out saying it's pointless - that's a negative and defeatist attitude.

jmdrake
05-20-2013, 11:43 AM

Nonsense. If that's true then you should expect 12 to 1 calling against industrial hemp. You are correct that it does measure intensity, but not correct in assuming that people who agree with a bill being proposed are unlikely to call in about it. That said, we do have a large amount of apathy in this country combined with a fair amount of ignorance. I bet most people don't even know about the internet tax bill.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
05-20-2013, 11:49 AM

True, but they pretend like it is when it suits their agenda.

Really, it is clear that they don't care either way.

nobody's_hero
05-20-2013, 12:25 PM
Nonsense. If that's true then you should expect 12 to 1 calling against industrial hemp. You are correct that it does measure intensity, but not correct in assuming that people who agree with a bill being proposed are unlikely to call in about it. That said, we do have a large amount of apathy in this country combined with a fair amount of ignorance. I bet most people don't even know about the internet tax bill.

What did that recent poll show? 44% don't even know about the Obamacare being law.

There's only one way to wake these people up, and some of the posters here are gonna hate me for it, but you gotta let this shit pass into law. Hanging on and fighting against these bills for dear life is only postponing the leviathan from running over the people roughshod and enables about half of the country (the apathetic) to continue going on like life is wonderful.

Let the American people be force-fed heaping helpings of tyranny until they vomit. Because anyone who has ever been nauseated before knows, that it sucks to feel nauseated and you can do pretty much everything you want to try to avoid puking, but damn doesn't it feel better after you go ahead and puke? (at least for 30 minutes or so when you'll probably have to puke again)

jmdrake
05-20-2013, 12:38 PM
What did that recent poll show? 44% don't even know about the Obamacare being law.

There's only one way to wake these people up, and some of the posters here are gonna hate me for it, but you gotta let this shit pass into law. Hanging on and fighting against these bills for dear life is only postponing the leviathan from running over the people roughshod and enables about half of the country (the apathetic) to continue going on like life is wonderful.

Let the American people be force-fed heaping helpings of tyranny until they vomit. Because anyone who has ever been nauseated before knows, that it sucks to feel nauseated and you can do pretty much everything you want to try to avoid puking, but damn doesn't it feel better after you go ahead and puke? (at least for 30 minutes or so when you'll probably have to puke again)

You have more faith in tyranny waking people up than I do. If the average mundane didn't wake up from TSA groping, what will wake them up? Maybe next we'll here how internet taxes fight terrorism. Then again...people do seem to see the net as sacred.

http://i.qkme.me/35rid1.jpg

nobody's_hero
05-20-2013, 12:43 PM
I think every man has his breaking point. Some you do look at and wonder what the hell is taking them so long. Mine was the 2008 bailouts. It shook me from my belief that there was actually a difference between D's and R's. I'd probably never questioned Bush's killing brown people had it not been for the impact on my wallet to bail out wall street. Fortunately Ron Paul happened to be on stage in a debate when he was. It really got me thinking. People first gotta realize something is wrong before they ever try to change it.

I will certainly say that tyranny that stares people in the face, drags their loved ones into the street, and beats the shit out of them has a greater probability of waking the people up than a tyranny that is only engaged through emails and answering machines. But that's just my theory, others may see it differently.

(the image you post is funny though)

Matt Collins
05-20-2013, 01:38 PM
And thus, can be safely ignored as well as proving the point that writing strongly worded letters of disapproval and polite but firm phone calls of disapproval, directed at Mordor on the Potomac, is pointless.Only if it's not followed up by electoral punishment.

Bastiat's The Law
05-20-2013, 02:30 PM
I'd say that because there is such a large amount of calls coming in, there is a more than usual saber rattling by We the People going on here. Rallying more of the dormant Americans to voice their dissent is not pointless even tho it is to you so it fits with your meme of doing nothing in this form of political activism. I say we give Massie and co all the help they can get by blowing up the phone lines on this. In the past, the problem has been it's rare when even people who are conservatives have never called their congressman on anything yet complain ad nauseum. Furthermore, those that have called leave it at that w/o applying any additional pressure to said reps. Here in MI, our C4L group does all of the above and don't stop til we get our way and it's starting to pan out in many areas. The point is to use issues like this to bring more people out of their slumber, mobilize them and keep them engaged for future and graver issues/campaigns, not check out saying it's pointless - that's a negative and defeatist attitude.
I'm a big fan of this attitude over the do-nothings. Thomas Massie needs our help and he said the phone calls do matter a lot.