PDA

View Full Version : Feeling Sorry for Tsarnaev

tangent4ronpaul
05-19-2013, 03:47 PM
A lot of this article is talking about how people react to faces. That got me thinking about how Facebook got started. It suggests a political strategy for winning offices, but I'll get back to that at the end.

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/newsdesk/2013/05/the-dzhokhar-tsarnaev-empathy-problem.html?mbid=gnep&google_editors_picks=true

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/newsdesk/dzhokhar-tsarnaev-rindge-and-latin-290.jpg

In my article in the magazine this week, I made the case against empathy. Our capacity to put ourselves in the shoes of others—to feel their pain, to make their goals our own—might well be essential for intimate relationships. Nobody would deny that parents should feel empathy toward their children, or that romantic love requires the bond that empathy provides. But when we use empathy as a guide to policy, it often takes us in irrational and cruel directions.

This is particularly clear when we look at the criminal-justice system. People are understandably empathetic toward the victims of crime, particularly when they are young and vulnerable, when they are attractive, and when they share our race or ethnicity. It is far harder to empathize with those who are accused or convicted of these crimes. Rather, we want these individuals to suffer. Some would argue that this is a properly moral reaction, but this retributive impulse can motivate legal and policy decisions that many see as unjust, such as three-strikes laws, harsh mandatory sentences, and the mass incarceration of racial minorities.

Sometimes, though, empathy has a quite different effect. Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is accused of setting bombs in Boston that killed three people, including an eight-year-old boy, and that maimed many others. He seems like the perfect villain. But in a blog post on Slate, Hanna Rosin writes about the warmth and compassion directed toward Tsarnaev by certain teen-age girls and, weirdly, by mothers: “In the past week and a half I have not been to a school pickup, birthday, book party, or dinner where one of my mom friends has not said some version of ‘I feel sorry for that poor kid.’ ”

Rosin explores different explanations for this reaction, suggesting that it stems from how Tsarnaev was initially described—“a hapless genial pothead being coerced into killing by his sadistic older brother.” But she later settles on an account which I believe is both unsettling and correct: “Dzhokhar is cute.” In a recent discussion with Robert Wright, the law professor and blogger Ann Althouse makes a similar point, commenting, sarcastically, on the media coverage: “Look at this Boston bombing. The pictures of those two brothers. Aren’t they cute?”

Psychologists have long observed the importance given to the face. The most striking demonstration I know of has to do with how competent one looks. The psychologist Alexander Todorov and his colleagues showed people black-and-white headshots of the winners and runner-ups in elections for various House and Senate races. After ensuring that their subjects were unfamiliar with the politicians, the psychologists simply asked: Who looks more competent? Over two thirds of the time, subjects selected the photo of the winning candidate.

Tsarnaev might not look particularly competent, but he is attractive—Althouse describes him as “a hot-looking young man.” Many studies have confirmed that individuals with attractive faces are judged to be happier, kinder, and more intelligent than their homelier counterparts; they are paid more, and are treated better in just about every venue of life. Experiments with simulated juries find that, when the victim of a crime is attractive, the defendant tends to get a longer prison sentence; if the defendant is attractive, he or she gets a lighter sentence. Even better for Tsarnaev, he is baby-faced: studies find that baby-faced individuals also tend to get lighter punishments, perhaps because they inspire parental warmth.

There is a long tradition of scholars who argue that the face reveals deeper truths. In “Essays on Physiognomy,” written in 1772, Johann Kaspar Lavater gave specific guidelines, such as ‘‘the nearer the eyebrows are to the eyes, the more earnest, deep, and firm the character.” In the late nineteenth century, the Italian criminologist Cesare Lombroso proposed that criminals were evolutionary throwbacks who could be identified by their primitive features, such as sloping foreheads and large jaws. Nobody would now endorse these views, but there is something to the idea that you can tell a lot from someone’s face. One recent study found that subjects are better than chance at detecting a person’s sexual orientation when viewing their face for just a fraction of a second (and these were unposed pictures—Facebook photos tagged by other individuals).

Still, even if faces do tell a story, the shape of a person’s face is no way to allocate justice and mercy. Instead of Tsarnaev, consider Jared Lee Loughner, who pleaded guilty to the 2011 shooting of Gabrielle Giffords and several others. Rosin’s mom friends are not going to shed tears over this face:

Relying on the face might be human nature—even babies prefer to look at attractive people. But, of course, judging someone based on the geometry of his features is, from a moral and legal standpoint, no better than judging him based on the color of his skin. Actually, both biases reflect the parochial and irrational nature of empathy—if Tsarnaev were black, would he evoke the same response from the mothers Rosin encounters? When someone talks about the warm feelings she has for Tsarnaev because of his sweet face, we should treat this with the same wary understanding that we would give to someone who admits to caring more about those who have the same color skin. It’s an empathetic response, and a natural one, but hardly one to be proud of.

====

OK, so Facebook started as a "hot ot not" type thing, and while hot is good, someone that looks competent is also important. So I was thinking, if we could get a bunch of people to do tournament style "hot or not" matching to ID the hottest and most competent looking individuals in the movement and then run them against the fugliest politicians we can find that we want to unseat...

Any thoughts?

-t

WhistlinDave
05-19-2013, 04:00 PM
That's really interesting... I've always had to compete with people far better looking than myself and have always been aware of the bias most people unconsciously hold toward favoring good looking faces.

As for your political strategy, that might be a great idea, provided that you're dealing with people willing and able to hold office, and both intelligent and principled enough to actually do some good if they were to win. (In other words, good idea, just with the caveat that looks aren't everything.)

surf
05-19-2013, 06:02 PM
I have a different theory about minimizing empathy toward Tsarnaev - and it also has the effect of trivializing those of us that believe in "blowback."

has to do with reports of notes or interrogative stories claiming motivations as Iraq and Afghanistan.

from a chick's perspective, does he really look "hot"?

tangent4ronpaul
05-19-2013, 06:13 PM
from a chick's perspective, does he really look "hot"?

Do you really have to ask?

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/newsdesk/dzhokhar-tsarnaev-rindge-and-latin-290.jpg
http://media1.santabanta.com/full1/Global%20Celebrities(M)/Justin%20Bieber/justin-bieber-5a.jpg
http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090725202755/harrypotter/images/b/ba/Harry-Potter-1-.jpg

-t

ronpaulfollower999
05-19-2013, 06:47 PM
^ They're hawt if you're a 14 y/o girl. I doubt any of the women on RPF (or do we have only one left now...:p) think those 3 boys are cute.

Carson
05-19-2013, 06:57 PM
"Feeling Sorry for Tsarnaev"

That feeling may be misplaced.

If the brothers actually did what is claimed, they had plenty of time to stop and call it all off. The victims never had that chance.

The same can be said of the victims of our drones. That is something we need to address.

Nirvikalpa
05-19-2013, 07:01 PM
Do you really have to ask?

http://media1.santabanta.com/full1/Global%20Celebrities(M)/Justin%20Bieber/justin-bieber-5a.jpg
http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090725202755/harrypotter/images/b/ba/Harry-Potter-1-.jpg

-t

He looks nothing like Dan Rad, or Beiber...

The kid has a prominent jawline, prominent brows... and prominent cheek bones... he has a lot of masculine features, normal for those of Caucasus region...

tangent4ronpaul
05-19-2013, 07:13 PM
He looks nothing like Dan Rad, or Beiber...

The kid has a prominent jawline, prominent brows... and prominent cheek bones... he has a lot of masculine features, normal for those of Caucasus region...

But does he look hawt?

i thought his brows, eyes, nose and mouth along with general face symmetry looked similar.

-t

Smart3
05-19-2013, 08:27 PM
For some strange reason - some women really love murderers and psychopaths.

amy31416
05-19-2013, 08:58 PM
Oh for fuck's sake.

You guys will defend a hot chick who chops off some guy's balls or drown her children, so long as she's "sexay." Now you want to project that on us? I have no interest in someone who's going to kill anyone for stupid reasons. This idiot is not "hawt."

Weston White
05-19-2013, 10:06 PM
Oh for fuck's sake.

You guys will defend a hot chick who chops off some guy's balls or drown her children, so long as she's "sexay." Now you want to project that on us? I have no interest in someone who's going to kill anyone for stupid reasons. This idiot is not "hawt."

No shortage of women who dream of snaring a husband on Death Row / Experts ponder why deadliest criminals get so many proposals (http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/No-shortage-of-women-who-dream-of-snaring-a-2689657.php)

KingNothing
05-19-2013, 10:17 PM
You just figured out that voters may like better looking politicians? Really?

Nirvikalpa
05-19-2013, 10:25 PM
I'm sorry but...

Why is it ok for the men here to go on and on about Sarah Palin's breasts and Bachmann's breasts, then? Newsflash fuckers, those two women introduced / voted for / supported legislation that 1) undermined our civil liberties and 2) killed more people than that douchebag the OP is talking about ever has / will.

KingNothing
05-19-2013, 10:33 PM
I'm sorry but...

Why is it ok for the men here to go on and on about Sarah Palin's breasts and Bachmann's breasts, then? Newsflash fuckers, those two women introduced / voted for / supported legislation that 1) undermined our civil liberties and 2) killed more people than that douchebag the OP is talking about ever has / will.

Who said that it's OK?

It doesn't matter if it is "ok," bad, or great. It is reality. A good looking man has an advantage over an ugly man because humans are silly and will pre-judge him to be preferable. And, to an even greater extent, an attractive woman will have an advantage over everyone else. Whether this reality can be turned into a real political strategy is another story. I'd imagine that it would have already been done, if it could be done.

KingNothing
05-19-2013, 10:35 PM
Humans 'naturally prefer pretty people' : http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/2551882/Humans-naturally-prefer-pretty-people.html

I'm happy that I'm good looking. People are annoying enough as it is, without having to overcome their silly anti-ugmo bias. Handling that must be exhausting.

J_White
05-19-2013, 10:52 PM
ok, can someone clear this up for me - why do they keep referring him as "Tsarnaev" ? isnt that his family name/surname ?
the elder brother was Tamerlan and this one is Dzokhar, i suppose ?
if two brothers - John Smith (older) and Joe Smith (younger) were involved and the news mentioned something about Smith - will that be normal ?
wont they better call them John and Joe ? :confused:

surf
05-19-2013, 11:03 PM
what happened to this thread?

I was curious about whether or not the terrorist is attractive to women as the article asserts (not about some vile instinct that would cause many of us to vote blindly for Kate Upton)

but more important for me is what you guys make of the information suggesting the terrorist was upset about our foreign policy. is the groundwork beginning (again) to paint those of us that believe in a humble foreign policy and free trade as even more fringe radicals? linking these two (Tsarnaev and most of us) obviously doesn't help us.

no more pretty talk, please

tangent4ronpaul
05-20-2013, 02:36 AM
You just figured out that voters may like better looking politicians? Really?

Who said that it's OK?

It doesn't matter if it is "ok," bad, or great. It is reality. A good looking man has an advantage over an ugly man because humans are silly and will pre-judge him to be preferable. And, to an even greater extent, an attractive woman will have an advantage over everyone else. Whether this reality can be turned into a real political strategy is another story. I'd imagine that it would have already been done, if it could be done.

Attractive is important, but even more is this part:

"Psychologists have long observed the importance given to the face. The most striking demonstration I know of has to do with how competent one looks. The psychologist Alexander Todorov and his colleagues showed people black-and-white headshots of the winners and runner-ups in elections for various House and Senate races. After ensuring that their subjects were unfamiliar with the politicians, the psychologists simply asked: Who looks more competent? Over two thirds of the time, subjects selected the photo of the winning candidate."

So how do you tell what a competent face looks like? A quick search of PubMed came up with over 17,000 papers and a whole lot of mud. Didn't get over to Google Scholar yet, but a basic Google search came up with a few things:

What's in a face?
http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/201210/whats-in-face

Inferences of Competence from Faces Predict Election Outcomes
https://psych.princeton.edu/psychology/research/todorov/pdf/Todorov_Science2005.pdf

Predicting political elections from rapid and unreflective face judgments
http://www.pnas.org/content/104/46/17948.long

Being perceived as smart and probably some other characteristics should weigh in there too.

Related: There was some research out of a TX uni, IIRC, to find the characteristics of the most attractive face. This was used to build the 3D virtual newscaster Ananova. Unfortunately, something in their business model flopped, but she was really popular for a while.

http://www.charamel.com/uploads/pics/custom_ananova.jpg

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQLryf6C5xc9k8zb4xbrYP0UNtodwzeu aH5qp9nEMtWdpcgHi65

-t

RickyJ
05-20-2013, 03:25 AM
Screw what he looks like, the only thing important here is weather he really did the bombings or not. I think he didn't.

tangent4ronpaul
05-20-2013, 03:45 AM
Screw what he looks like, the only thing important here is weather he really did the bombings or not. I think he didn't.

That's an interesting point. In all of the released video footage I've seen, he's 20-30' away from were the second bomb went off. With all the camera's in that area, not ONE captured either brother moving in and dropping the bomb(s). It was just them in the area, and then bag on street n/ "boom" w/ them no where in sight.

WTF???

-t

moostraks
05-20-2013, 06:55 AM
Hanna Rosin writes about the warmth and compassion directed toward Tsarnaev by certain teen-age girls and, weirdly, by mothers: “In the past week and a half I have not been to a school pickup, birthday, book party, or dinner where one of my mom friends has not said some version of ‘I feel sorry for that poor kid.’ ”

Teenager girls are empathetic because they think he is cute and teenage girls are hardly the standard bearer for coherent rational thinking when it comes to those of the opposite sex. Then SHOCKER mothers of teenage children feel sorry for him as he is the age of one of their children and they figure if guilty something caused him to feel so strongly about it that he was driven to this response. They are likely personifying him in relation to their experience with having a family member of the same age that they love and nurture. Ask a mother with a child that age that is a narcississtic jerk and you might get a different reaction.