PDA

View Full Version : This is weird

ConceivedInLiberty
11-25-2007, 10:49 PM
http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/8858/wtfjc5.jpg

I got this while browsing another forum with RPF open in the background. I got one of these a few days ago while browsing RPF, and I had to deny it 5 times each time to get it to finally go away.

When I went to tfas.mol.usmc.mil, it gave me a simple TNR black text on white background message of a server transferring me to MOL, then it gave me the certificate message again before it would proceed, and I'm wary of accepting it.

Anyone know what this is?

bbachtung
11-25-2007, 11:01 PM
No idea.

RPFTW!
11-25-2007, 11:07 PM
http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/8858/wtfjc5.jpg

I got this while browsing another forum with RPF open in the background. I got one of these a few days ago while browsing RPF, and I had to deny it 5 times each time to get it to finally go away.

When I went to tfas.mol.usmc.mil, it gave me a simple TNR black text on white background message of a server transferring me to MOL, then it gave me the certificate message again before it would proceed, and I'm wary of accepting it.

Anyone know what this is?

Strange, I would run a spyware check as I have never gotten this from RPF. What other websites were open when you got this? This should never come from just RPF forums alone, also its very strange that it is pointing to a marine military web site. I would deny it and run a spyware check

ConceivedInLiberty
11-25-2007, 11:21 PM
I posted this on the other forum I was browsing at the time and one of the admins told me it was coming from an image in someone's avatar that came from there and to just say yes.

I'm skeptical of this though, because when I asked them how they figured that they said because the image was linked to that website and every time it loaded that it would come up. That sounded like circular logic to me.

Am I letting the conspiracy theorist in me run amok?

Also: I ran a spyware check and my comp is clean.

LBennett76
11-25-2007, 11:50 PM
dude... I just entered the address on the certificate... and it takes you to a Department of Defense warning thing. I would suggest that you DON'T do it. I'm sure they've got my IP now though.
Remember that the Patriot Act is in effect and higher ups are scouring the internet for terrorists. So I don't think the conspiracy theorist in you is running amok. I think you are right to be cautious.
DON'T CLICK ON IT!

torchbearer
11-25-2007, 11:53 PM
dude... I just entered the address on the certificate... and it takes you to a Department of Defense warning thing. I would suggest that you DON'T do it. I'm sure they've got my IP now though.
Remember that the Patriot Act is in effect and higher ups are scouring the internet for terrorists. So I don't think the conspiracy theorist in you is running amok. I think you are right to be cautious.
DON'T CLICK ON IT!

Someone is using a DOD graphic for an avatar image.

LBennett76
11-25-2007, 11:55 PM
*shiver* yeah. I wouldn't accept any certificates. If you go to the address on the certificate, it says you have to agree to allow yourself to be monitored and stuff like that. Go check it out. I just don't think it's a good idea.

LBennett76
11-25-2007, 11:57 PM
Here's what is says:

US Department of Defense Warning Statement
This is a Department of Defense computer system. This computer system including all related equipment networks and network devices (specifically including Internet access) are provided only for authorized U. S. Government use. DoD computer systems may be monitored for all lawful purposes to ensure that their use is authorized for management of the system to facilitate protection against unauthorized access and to verify security procedures survivability and operational security. Monitoring includes active attacks by authorized DoD entities to test or verify the security of this system. During monitoring information may be examined recorded copied and used for authorized purposes. All information including personal information placed on or sent over this system may be monitored. Use of this DoD computer system authorized or unauthorized constitutes consent to monitoring of this system. Unauthorized use may subject you to criminal prosecution. Evidence of unauthorized use collected during monitoring may be used for administrative criminal or adverse action. Use of this system constitutes consent to monitoring for these purposes.

pcosmar
11-26-2007, 07:15 AM
Use a system that is secure and you won't have to worry.