PDA

View Full Version : Would you vote for the farm bill if it includes the hemp legalization amendment?

wormyguy
05-18-2013, 06:55 PM
Should be interesting.

Christian Liberty
05-18-2013, 06:57 PM
No. Its unconstitutional, so I'd vote no without further consideration. That's my oath, and its what Ron Paul would do.

sailingaway
05-18-2013, 06:57 PM
of course not.

fr33
05-18-2013, 07:28 PM
Nope.

But most don't care about us and the farm bill will be passed with or without hemp.

I've said it in another thread; If you want the big ag lobbies to support legalizing hemp, you might have to attach the same type of subsidies to it as the other crops have The big ag lobbyists are a bunch of welfare queens.

Aratus
05-18-2013, 08:14 PM
there are farmers still, up in the Berkshires, to the west of Quabbin. hemp is a cash crop.

Christian Liberty
05-18-2013, 08:16 PM
Nope.

But most don't care about us and the farm bill will be passed with or without hemp.

I've said it in another thread; If you want the big ag lobbies to support legalizing hemp, you might have to attach the same type of subsidies to it as the other crops have The big ag lobbyists are a bunch of welfare queens.

Oh, I'm OK with trying to slide something good into a bad bill, but you should still vote against the bill.

Aratus
05-18-2013, 08:20 PM
the poll is split fifty-fifty

sailingaway
05-18-2013, 08:54 PM
I'm actually amazed at the vote, mind you only ten people have bothered to vote at all, and presumably those focusing on the question had a reason for bringing it up.

ClydeCoulter
05-18-2013, 09:04 PM
I just voted no, and it's still 50/50 (6/6). Amazing.

And, I agree with:

Oh, I'm OK with trying to slide something good into a bad bill, but you should still vote against the bill.

WhistlinDave
05-18-2013, 09:08 PM
Aw, sh*t. I'd be a terrible Congressman. I just voted "Yes" because I saw "legalize hemp" without knowing what else is in the farm bill. OK, obviously I should read the thing first and then decide. (And from the sound of it, sounds like I'd probably vote "no" if I read it.)

I'm guessing the other 6 who voted "yes" did the same thing I did, saw "hemp" and went, "hell yes!"

TaftFan
05-18-2013, 09:09 PM
I voted yes with the view that cutting off food stamps and subsidies cold turkey would do more damage than good.

I support getting rid of them of course but at least let people know ahead of time.

sailingaway
05-18-2013, 09:26 PM
I voted yes with the view that cutting off food stamps and subsidies cold turkey would do more damage than good.

I support getting rid of them of course but at least let people know ahead of time.

I supported Ron's budget which would have block granted money for the poor to the states, but would certainly not have given the mega corporate subsidies in the farm bill.

Aratus
05-18-2013, 09:56 PM
most of us, were we all ever to be congressional critters, are carefully trying not to kick in and stomp
silly or even further on any almost bankrupt family farms that are left as we debate big agra~business

supermario21
05-18-2013, 10:26 PM
Couldn't Rand pull a Ron? Get his stuff into the package (much like Ron on earmarks) and then vote against final passage?

sailingaway
05-18-2013, 10:28 PM
Couldn't Rand pull a Ron? Get his stuff into the package (much like Ron on earmarks) and then vote against final passage?
that wasn't Ron just on earmarks, it was his overall approach, try to improve a bill in amendment stage as much as possible then vote against it if it was unacceptable, all the same.

wormyguy
05-18-2013, 10:37 PM
that wasn't Ron just on earmarks, it was his overall approach, try to improve a bill in amendment stage as much as possible then vote against it if it was unacceptable, all the same.

What was the correct way to vote on Manchin-Toomey then? It was an improvement on the original text of the bill, as written by Schumer, although on the other hand it was widely (and correctly) understood that 41 votes against the amendment would kill the bill.

sailingaway
05-19-2013, 01:45 AM
What was the correct way to vote on Manchin-Toomey then? It was an improvement on the original text of the bill, as written by Schumer, although on the other hand it was widely (and correctly) understood that 41 votes against the amendment would kill the bill.

on a key tactical vote like that if he could kill the bill he would. If the votes weren't there to kill it he'd try to amend it, then vote to kill it anyhow. He didn't play games. His amendment to make it better was because he knew he might not be on the winning side of the bill vote.

ClydeCoulter
05-19-2013, 07:32 AM
most of us, were we all ever to be congressional critters, are carefully trying not to kick in and stomp
silly or even further on any almost bankrupt family farms that are left as we debate big agra~business

I understand that point, and discussion is needed in almost all, if not all, areas of government. Many unconstitutional programs would need to be "phased" out.

If this bill were to fail, the price of goods would have to go up, then the "real" price would be revealed (unless big-ag got a bailout some other way).

fr33
05-19-2013, 07:37 AM
Yeah the farm bill is directly responsible for the disappearance of family farms and the growth of big ag corporations. The price of food has been kept artificially low.

luctor-et-emergo
05-19-2013, 07:43 AM
Vote on each element separately.
The hemp bill should pass regardless of other things, not included into other things.

It would be great to be the deciding vote against, then you'd be accused of voting against the hemp bill you support. But it's a great opportunity to point out to people there is absolutely no reason why it should not pass outside of the farm bill. Unless off course, politics is so degraded that 1 good part of a law is enough to lure in principled people to vote for 5 bad parts.

It makes no sense, 'just say no'.