PDA

View Full Version : Peter Hitchens: How I helped contribute to the ruin of my country (England)

Cowlesy
05-18-2013, 04:04 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2301743/How-invasion-immigrants-corner-England-mockery-PMs-promise-close-door.html

How the invasion of immigrants into every corner of England has made a mockery of PM's promise to close the door

The greatest mass migration in our history has taken place
Revolutionaries of the Sixties to blame for seeing immigrants as allies
Rather than them adapting to their lifestyle, we are adapting to theirs

Was this Britain? Every group of people I passed was speaking Russian. The shops were full of black bread, pickled cucumbers and vodka, the faces were Slavic. The advertisements in the windows were in the Cyrillic script I had come to know so well when I lived, many years before, in Moscow.
Yet here I was in the shadow of a lovely English Gothic church tower, half-way to dear old Skegness, surrounded by fields of English turnips, leeks and sugar beet, under an English heaven.

This was Boston, Lincolnshire, which I had first seen three decades ago as a somnolent, slightly shabby market town where a kindly traffic warden had found me a parking space, saying: ‘We can always find room for a foreigner.’

And it was at least partly my own fault. When I was a Revolutionary Marxist, we were all in favour of as much immigration as possible. It wasn’t because we liked immigrants, but because we didn’t like Britain. We saw immigrants – from anywhere – as allies against the staid, settled, conservative society that our country still was at the end of the Sixties. Also, we liked to feel oh, so superior to the bewildered people – usually in the poorest parts of Britain – who found their neighbourhoods suddenly transformed into supposedly ‘vibrant communities’. If they dared to express the mildest objections, we called them bigots.

Revolutionary students didn’t come from such ‘vibrant’ areas (we came, as far as I could tell, mostly from Surrey and the nicer parts of London). We might live in ‘vibrant’ places for a few (usually squalid) years, amid unmown lawns and overflowing dustbins.

More at the link here (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2301743/How-invasion-immigrants-corner-England-mockery-PMs-promise-close-door.html)

Beware the Left. I cannot emphasize it enough.

Cowlesy
05-18-2013, 09:21 PM
Another great quote.

What did we know, or care, of the great silent revolution which even then was beginning to transform the lives of the British poor? To us, it meant patriotism and tradition could always be derided as ‘racist’. And it also meant cheap servants for the rich new middle-class, for the first time since 1939, as well as cheap restaurants and – later on – cheap builders and plumbers working off the books.
It wasn’t our wages that were depressed, or our work that was priced out of the market. Immigrants didn’t do the sort of jobs we did. They were no threat to us. The only threat might have come from the aggrieved British people, but we could always stifle their protests by suggesting that they were modern-day fascists.

Cowlesy
05-19-2013, 08:46 PM
It couldn’t have been more obvious that ‘race’ wasn’t the problem. The thing that made these new residents different was culture – language, customs, attitudes, sense of humour.

Rather than them adapting to our way of life, we were adapting to theirs. This wasn’t integration. It was a revolution. Yet nobody – especially their elected representatives – would listen to them, because they were assumed to be Powellite bigots, motivated by some sort of unreasoning hatred.

I now believe that the unreasoning hatred comes almost entirely from the liberal Left. Of course, there are still people who harbour stupid racial prejudices. But most of those concerned about immigration are completely innocent of such feelings.

And there you have it.

RonPaulFanInGA
05-19-2013, 08:48 PM
Sounds like today's democratic party.

bolil
05-19-2013, 08:49 PM
Hmmmmm, that is the angle. Good on this man for breaking it down, from the inside out.

Carson
05-19-2013, 08:57 PM
It's a story that has been playing out globally.

It seems to me the central banks have been able to find their Peter Hitchens's in most every country around the planet. How many have been bought off and moved the the side of the criminal element.

An old story

Something about illegal immigration troubled me. Where was the money coming from to corrupt the politicians and police in many of the countries around the world?

It became clear that one possibility was that there are those in the government that can print up what ever amount it takes to get their way. Without any auditing of the Federal Reserve so can others not even inside of our government.

Maybe this will help make the danger of fiat money clear.

Imagine you and me are setting across from each other. We create enough money to represent all of the world's wealth. Each one of us has one SUPER Dollar in front of him.

You own half of everything and so do I.

I'm the government though. I get bribed into creating a Central Bank.

You're not doing what I want you to be doing so I print up myself eight more SUPER Dollars to manipulate you with.
All of a sudden your SUPER Dollar only represents one tenth of the wealth of the world!

That isn't the only thing though. You need to get busy and get to work because YOU'VE BEEN STIFFED with the bill for the money I PRINTED UP to get YOU TO DO what I WANTED.

That to me represents what has been happening to the economy, and us, and why so many of our occupations just can't keep up with the fake money presses. They print up what ever it takes to push, and push, and push us wherever they want.

They have been beating us with our own stick.

erowe1
05-19-2013, 08:58 PM
I don't get it.

At the beginning of the bold section he says, "And it was at least partly my own fault."

What was all his fault? That some people would talk to each other in Russian? Is that not supposed to happen or something?

Carson
05-19-2013, 08:58 PM
Sounds like today's democratic party.

Sounds like both to me...

but I hear ya.

erowe1
05-19-2013, 09:01 PM
Still confused.

"And it also meant cheap servants for the rich new middle-class, for the first time since 1939, as well as cheap restaurants and – later on – cheap builders and plumbers working off the books."

These are all good things. Right?

Michigan11
05-19-2013, 09:01 PM
"the silent revolution"

Cowlesy
05-19-2013, 09:10 PM
Still confused.

"And it also meant cheap servants for the rich new middle-class, for the first time since 1939, as well as cheap restaurants and – later on – cheap builders and plumbers working off the books."

These are all good things. Right?

I would recommend going to the link and reading the article if the snippets I've posted are too challenging on their own.

The Free Hornet
05-19-2013, 09:47 PM
I would recommend going to the link and reading the article if the snippets I've posted are too challenging on their own.

Does the article justify this?:

Beware the Left. I cannot emphasize it enough.

Sure, I fear the "Left" (as manifested) as I fear the "Right" (as manifested). But the part you bolded and underlined suggests the article would be a waste of time:

I now believe that the unreasoning hatred comes almost entirely from the liberal Left.[Newsflash: guy who was wrong before is wrong again.]

You might have a different point, but this isn't it.

I watched my family, my schools, my religion, my race/ethnicity with too few exceptions turn their backs on freedom in favor of servitude. I have English blood. Throw some dirt and tattered rags on us and we'll look like we came off the Mayflower. There are too damn few of us that want and respect freedom.

Anyway, you missed the best snippet:

They long for a horrible borderless Utopia in which love of country has vanished, nannies are cheap and other people’s wages are low.

From a different Peter Hitchens article:

Many of you will have been brainwashed yourselves. Do you know how many supposedly ‘conservative’ newspapers endorsed the decriminalisation of cannabis years ago?

It is amazing how many otherwise sensible people have already been fooled into accepting the dud arguments for relaxing the law against cannabis, one of the most dangerous drugs in existence.

Your children, too, will have been brainwashed at school – where they will have absorbed the moronic argument that because alcohol and tobacco are legal, it is wrong to have laws against dope.

Whenever I have the chance to debate this subject properly, I almost always defeat the drug liberalisers.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2312345/What-decriminalise-really-means-giving-junkies-drug-den-door-you.html

The guy is a fucking piece-of-shit statist. I don't need bullshit about "the left" or "democrats" because you provided nothing of value as contrast.

Carson
05-19-2013, 09:51 PM
"the silent revolution"

No tanks rolled into the capital but we've all been taken over all the same.

Carson
05-19-2013, 10:16 PM
Snip...

The guy is a xxcking piece-of-shxt statist. I don't need bullshit about "the left" or "democrats" because you provided nothing of value as contrast.

Maybe we should be careful pounding people into pigeon holes to deeply.

I'm thinking a lot of people are going to realize where they are and may want to let go of some of their old ways and come over to something new.

Did you ever see, "Yellow Submarine" ? The way they finally win is they win over the Blue Meanies to their side.

"John: Hullo, there, blue people! Won't you join us? Hook up, and otherwise co-mingle? Whaddaya say?"

I looked for the Yellow Submarine video with that part but they seem all younked because of copyright.

http://www.thebeatles.com/#/films/Yellow_Submarine

It was one of the most important movies of my life. It seemed so relevant in the 60's and even more so now. They had a re-release a while back and hardly anyone showed.

http://www.amazon.com/Yellow-Submarine-George-Dunning-II/dp/B00000JRUQ

J_White
05-19-2013, 10:56 PM
interesting.

Brian4Liberty
05-19-2013, 11:13 PM
And it was at least partly my own fault. When I was a Revolutionary Marxist, we were all in favour of as much immigration as possible. It wasn’t because we liked immigrants, but because we didn’t like Britain. We saw immigrants – from anywhere – as allies against the staid, settled, conservative society that our country still was at the end of the Sixties. Also, we liked to feel oh, so superior to the bewildered people – usually in the poorest parts of Britain – who found their neighbourhoods suddenly transformed into supposedly ‘vibrant communities’. If they dared to express the mildest objections, we called them bigots.

Marxists and corporatists.

Brian4Liberty
05-19-2013, 11:21 PM
The worst part of this is the deep, deep hypocrisy of it. Even back in my Trotskyist days I had begun to notice that many of the migrants from Asia were in fact not our allies. They were deeply, unshakably religious. They were socially conservative. Their attitudes towards girls and women were, in many cases, close to medieval.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2301743/How-invasion-immigrants-corner-England-mockery-PMs-promise-close-door.html

Correction: Trotskyite Marxists.