PDA

View Full Version : Upcoming Unconstitutional Legislation This Week: 5/20/13 Week

Spoa
05-18-2013, 02:05 PM
Student Loans, Veterans Bills, and Farm Bill. Read main bills below and click the link to read about more big government bills that LLPH is concerned about.

Bill #1: H.R. 1412 – Improving Job Opportunities for Veterans Act of 2013 (Sponsored by Rep. Mike Coffman / Veterans’ Affairs Committee).

LLPH is concerned about the portion of this bill that “Directs the Secretary of Veterans Affairs (VA) to carry out a public relations campaign, advertising in national media outlets”. LLPH questions how much this will cost. We support this effort, but our question is whether this is offset.

In addition, the bill “requires training establishments applying for state approval of on-the-job training programs to certify that the wages to be paid an eligible veteran or person upon entrance into training will be increased in regular periodic increments until, by the last full month of the training period, they will be at least 75% (currently 85%) of the wages paid for the job for which such eligible veteran or person is being trained.” If a training establishment can gain approval from the state, why should the federal government be involved in this. Our understanding of “state” suggests that this should be a states’ right not a federal government power.

A similar bill came up last session: http://www.opencongress.org/vote/2012/h/650 (3 voted no). We will be watching this bill and may consider scoring this bill negatively.

Student Loans Bill Vote:

ON FRIDAY: H.R. 1911 – Smarter Solutions for Students Act, Rules Committee (Subject to a Rule) (Sponsored by Rep. John Kline / Education and the Workforce Committee)

This bill is the the GOP’s bill that would resolve the problem of federal student loan rates. Without legislation, those rates will double from 3.4 to 6.8 percent this summer. Republicans have a new bill that includes language supported by Obama that would get Congress out of the business of setting the rate, and keying rates to the 10-year Treasury note. Democrats are already claiming that this would allow rates to rise too much. But the bill includes a cap on rates, and support for a similar plan from Obama could prompt some Democrats to support it.

Farm Bill:

The Senate will begin work on the $955 BILLION Farm Bill (S. 954). http://www.cbo.gov/publication/44248

It is filled of wasteful spending, food stamps (which make up about 66% of the bill), and subsidies to lawmaker’s favorite farms like corn, rice, meat, etc. LLPH STRONGLY OPPOSES THIS BILL and will score any portion that increases spending negatively, cuts spending positively, and we plan to oppose final passage. This bill is unconstitutional because nowhere in the Constitution is the federal government permitted to be sending subsidies to big farms. Also, why don’t they call this bill a food stamp bill? We urge Senators to work to change this bill radically or we will oppose it and score it negatively.

Read more here: http://llphsecondrevolution.wordpress.com/2013/05/18/llph-looking-ahead-week-of-5-20-13-student-loans-farming-and-more/

Warlord
05-18-2013, 02:10 PM
LLPH is concerned about the portion of this bill that “Directs the Secretary of Veterans Affairs (VA) to carry out a public relations campaign, advertising in national media outlets”. LLPH questions how much this will cost. We support this effort, but our question is whether this is offset.
-

Why do you support "this effort" of the Federal government to advertise ?

Spoa
05-18-2013, 02:14 PM
-

Why do you support "this effort" of the Federal government to advertise ?

We support the Federal government wanting to help veterans. But we don't support them spending so much, and we believe that it would be better if veterans could be taken cared of more by the state. We understand that the federal government wants to help its veterans find jobs, but we just think there must be a better way than this.

What are your ideas on how to help veterans get jobs? OR should the federal government be involved at all? Feel free to comment about your ideas.

Warlord
05-18-2013, 02:50 PM
We support the Federal government wanting to help veterans. But we don't support them spending so much, and we believe that it would be better if veterans could be taken cared of more by the state. We understand that the federal government wants to help its veterans find jobs, but we just think there must be a better way than this.

What are your ideas on how to help veterans get jobs? OR should the federal government be involved at all? Feel free to comment about your ideas.

I would let them compete in the free market. I'd also disband the army.

But hey, you've got to be practical I suppose.

Spoa
05-18-2013, 06:22 PM
I would let them compete in the free market. I'd also disband the army.

But hey, you've got to be practical I suppose.

I actually prefer to keep the army, but I want them to defend OUR borders. They should not be going around and nation-building. I do agree with the free-market idea, but an important thing to remember is that several of them have lost their jobs since they joined the military, and now that they are coming home...they are out of work.

It's a difficult issue, but I think I agree with you and that is why LLPH will likely score against this bill.

sailingaway
05-18-2013, 07:12 PM

I think Veterans are a federal issue, unlike other social welfare programs but I think govt can't create jobs and will just skew markets worse.

Spoa
05-18-2013, 08:42 PM
I think Veterans are a federal issue, unlike other social welfare programs but I think govt can't create jobs and will just skew markets worse.

Agree. Get rid of other useless depts. we could help veterans more by eliminating big government and all these regulations.

Spoa
05-20-2013, 03:56 PM
H.R. 1073 will be voted on today.

I don't think it is a good bill...I'll be posting updates.

Spoa
05-20-2013, 04:39 PM
First vote is on a bill called the Stolen Valor Act. I'm not key voting this because I understand the need for this bill, but I struggle between whether people's 1st Amendment rights should be restricted even if they are lying about being veterans.

Amash and Paul were the only two GOPers to vote no last year. Interesting vote.

Spoa
05-20-2013, 04:46 PM
Update: Wow. 4 nays (all Republican) now with 1: 29 left. It will be interesting to see no votes.

Update: 1 nay added from Democrat.

Update: Cancel. Democrat moved to yes column. Only 4 GOPers voting no right now.

Update: Only 3 GOPers voting no right now. Another GOPer moved to the yes column.

390 yeas to 3 nays. Final vote.

Spoa
05-20-2013, 05:00 PM
Now H.R. 1073 being vote on:

Updates to come soon.

Spoa
05-20-2013, 05:01 PM
1 no votes on H.R. 1073 so far! Good news.

3 no votes now. All from GOPers.

390 ayes to 3 nays. Roll Call coming soon.

Spoa
05-20-2013, 05:27 PM
Stolen Valor Act: http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2013/roll161.xml (Amash, Broun, Massie are no votes)---Not Sure, difficult vote.

H.R. 1073: http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2013/roll162.xml (Amash, Massie, Stockman are no votes)---Likely scoring. Too many rules and regulations.