PDA

View Full Version : Advice column: Citizen not happy about Ron Paul banner

green73
05-18-2013, 05:18 AM
From the Times Call of Longmont, CO

Dear Johnnie: Is it legal for homeowners to still display political signs on their property?

Every day as I drive busy Third Avenue, I see a large banner saying "Ron Paul Revolution" posted on the back of a house (on Fourth Avenue). Obviously, the homeowner is not pleased with the current state of national politics, but the elections are over.

Shouldn't the sign come down? -- No Advertising, Please

Dear No Advertising: Have you checked to see if the Christmas lights are still up?

Yes. It is legal for homeowners to display political signs, even if the political season is behind us. In fact, the Longmont municipal code specifically allows a homeowner one ideological sign on his property. That sign can be 12 square feet.

"There's no permit needed," code-enforcement officer Shannon Stadler told me. "As long as it's not obscene or derogatory. ... A lot of stuff is protected under free speech."

And what does obscene or derogatory mean?

"As long as someone doesn't put up a sign with a threat or targeting obscene language at a particular person," Stadler said. "Ideological signs are allowed by the sign code and by free speech. Cities cannot regulate free speech per se but can regulate how it's delivered, so long as it's uniform for everyone."

No Advertising, if you are interested in learning more about Longmont's sign ordinances and you have an evening to spare, look up the city's sign code online.

http://www.timescall.com/columnists/johnnie-st-vrain/ci_23270590/johnnie-st-vrain-longmont-homeowner-is-allowed-keep

tangent4ronpaul
05-18-2013, 06:02 AM
Not in my county/state.

There are severe restrictions - so many days before an election. Must be so small that passing motorists can't see it. etc.

-t

fr33
05-18-2013, 06:18 AM
That stuff makes my blood boil. That and how municipalities fine people for having "junk" on their property. Some people make a living off that "junk".

asurfaholic
05-18-2013, 06:22 AM
my Ron Paul banner is hanging firmly against the back wall of my garage, every time my garage door is opened people get a full view of my political allegiance.

I think any town that tries to prevent people from putting any kind of signs, particularly political signs, on their property is over reaching - and the homeowners should reject the town's rules by openly disobeying them. Politics is not something that happens once every few years. It is an ongoing battle....

TruckinMike
05-18-2013, 06:30 AM
My town has an ordinance that does not allow advertising on licensed vehicles/trailers unless its for the company that owns/leases the vehicle. So every truck that rolls down I-35 that leases out their advertising space on the side of the trailer is violating our town ordinance (except for political campaign ads during prescribed periods). I learned about that with a letter threatening a $1000 per day fine for my sheriff Mack sign.

This would be illegal unless the Marines owned the trailer...
http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/pix/trucks/jim_steele/2011/07-11/billboard_trailer_for_the_marines_setting_in_carth age_mo..jpg

torchbearer
05-18-2013, 06:34 AM
i had a ron paul campaign sign in my yard continuously from 2007 to 2012.
a big one.

Carson
05-18-2013, 07:30 AM
my Ron Paul banner is hanging firmly against the back wall of my garage, every time my garage door is opened people get a full view of my political allegiance.

I think any town that tries to prevent people from putting any kind of signs, particularly political signs, on their property is over reaching - and the homeowners should reject the town's rules by openly disobeying them. Politics is not something that happens once every few years. It is an ongoing battle....

Don't you mean, "car hole?"

Perhaps even dangerous in there considering the opposition.

FriedChicken
05-18-2013, 08:25 AM

I completely agree. Unfortunately I think [made up stats, but probably accurate] 80% of the population of my town thinks that political signs should be removed after the election, enforced by law. I would say that 90% of them would be annoyed by political signs after an election and even if they thought that fines and fees were unfair they wouldn't lift a finger to help the victim who is forced to remove their sign.

That leaves 10% who would be upset, 9.5% of those wanting to help would only post comments on news articles for 2 days.

That leaves 80% of those head scratchers thinking "yeah, I can see the point to that law ..." and "No one needs a sign in their yard after the election!" vs. the 0.5% who REALLY value free speech.

I'm a supporter of civil disobedience but, in my town, I know practically the entire would turn against you for this and it wouldn't even become much of a teachable moment.
That said - I'm definitely in the 0.5% who will get bloody to defend this person's right, even if it were a sign for Rick Santorum.

Uriel999
05-18-2013, 08:28 AM
My town has an ordinance that does not allow advertising on licensed vehicles/trailers unless its for the company that owns/leases the vehicle. So every truck that rolls down I-35 that leases out their advertising space on the side of the trailer is violating our town ordinance (except for political campaign ads during prescribed periods). I learned about that with a letter threatening a $1000 per day fine for my sheriff Mack sign.

This would be illegal unless the Marines owned the trailer...
http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/pix/trucks/jim_steele/2011/07-11/billboard_trailer_for_the_marines_setting_in_carth age_mo..jpg

Just let us have that trailer...no seriously, we could house a platoon comfortably in that sucker! Have you seen how crappy our barracks are! I bet there isn't even black mold in that beautiful looking potential home.