PDA

View Full Version : Washington gets explicit: its 'war on terror' is permanent

sailingaway
05-17-2013, 03:15 PM
Last October, senior Obama officials anonymously unveiled to the Washington Post their newly minted "disposition matrix", a complex computer system that will be used to determine how a terrorist suspect will be "disposed of": indefinite detention, prosecution in a real court, assassination-by-CIA-drones, etc. Their rationale for why this was needed now, a full 12 years after the 9/11 attack:

Among senior Obama administration officials, there is a broad consensus that such operations are likely to be extended at least another decade. Given the way al-Qaida continues to metastasize, some officials said no clear end is in sight. . . . That timeline suggests that the United States has reached only the midpoint of what was once known as the global war on terrorism."

On Thursday, the Senate Armed Services Committee held a hearing on whether the statutory basis for this "war" - the 2001 Authorization to Use Military Force (AUMF) - should be revised (meaning: expanded). This is how Wired's Spencer Ackerman (soon to be the Guardian US's national security editor) described the most significant exchange:

"Asked at a Senate hearing today how long the war on terrorism will last, Michael Sheehan, the assistant secretary of defense for special operations and low-intensity conflict, answered, 'At least 10 to 20 years.' . . . A spokeswoman, Army Col. Anne Edgecomb, clarified that Sheehan meant the conflict is likely to last 10 to 20 more years from today - atop the 12 years that the conflict has already lasted. Welcome to America's Thirty Years War."

That the Obama administration is now repeatedly declaring that the "war on terror" will last at least another decade (or two) is vastly more significant than all three of this week's big media controversies (Benghazi, IRS, and AP/DOJ) combined. The military historian Andrew Bacevich has spent years warning that US policy planners have adopted an explicit doctrine of "endless war". Obama officials, despite repeatedly boasting that they have delivered permanently crippling blows to al-Qaida, are now, as clearly as the English language permits, openly declaring this to be so.

more: http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/may/17/endless-war-on-terror-obama

ZENemy
05-17-2013, 03:15 PM
Just in time for the debt ceiling to expire on Monday.

bunklocoempire
05-17-2013, 03:59 PM
"You know, many great religions, and especially both the Old and New Testament, talks about a golden rule. And I think it’s an important rule. We want to treat – we should treat other people the way we want to be treated. And I would like to suggest that possibly we should be thinking about having a foreign policy of the golden rule and not treat other countries any way other than the way we want to be treated."
Ron Paul
http://thepage.time.com/2011/10/08/paul-values-voter-summit-transcript/

Or we can continue what we're doing and deal with the continued failed and certain results of a man made "solution" that ignores the nature of man when he is repeatedly poked with a stick.

Uh.. man's nature is going to be the same for at least another 10 to 20 years, but then it'll all magically change. Just gotta keep this "disposition matrix" rolling. lol :rolleyes:

Peace Piper
05-17-2013, 07:02 PM
Posted earlier: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?414758-Greenwald-Washington-gets-explicit-its-war-on-terror-is-permanent

sank like a rock

It's one of Glenn's most important articles.

Maybe this post will get some traction.

Carson
05-17-2013, 07:37 PM
Posted earlier: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?414758-Greenwald-Washington-gets-explicit-its-war-on-terror-is-permanent

sank like a rock

It's one of Glenn's most important articles.

Maybe this post will get some traction.

Heavy duty, for sure.

I think your post is the one I saw at lunch. I found myself here when I thought I was there...

oh well.

Carson
05-17-2013, 07:43 PM
Just in time for the debt ceiling to expire on Monday.

"To the moon, Alice!"

ClydeCoulter
05-17-2013, 08:13 PM
In other words, the U.S. will continue to use Al-Cia-da for 10 to 20 years in their efforts toward Syria, Iran, Russia, etc... And the War on Terror will then conclude with deleting their tools. I wonder what method will be used for that final phase, and if it will require a smaller group to do it or is there some other method being put into place?

Henry Rogue
05-17-2013, 08:45 PM
I miss the old days when all we had to worry about was nuclear annihilation.

Carson
05-17-2013, 09:48 PM
In other words, the U.S. will continue to use Al-Cia-da for 10 to 20 years in their efforts toward Syria, Iran, Russia, etc... And the War on Terror will then conclude with deleting their tools. I wonder what method will be used for that final phase, and if it will require a smaller group to do it or is there some other method being put into place?

I was sort of looking forward to Ron Paul final phasing a whole lot of things away. Was my preferred method anyways.

What was it he said? Something about an Executive Order resending all Executive Orders.

Anti Federalist
05-17-2013, 09:55 PM
We've always been at war with Eurasia.