PDA

View Full Version : Police accused of erasing cell phone footage of fatal beating

sailingaway
05-17-2013, 01:42 AM
A woman says that she warned police she was filming a fatal encounter between six of them and another man. She says police took her phone before she could post the video to the Web. There are now suggestions the footage was deleted.

more http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-57584637-71/police-accused-of-erasing-cell-phone-footage-of-fatal-beating/

Natural Citizen
05-17-2013, 03:17 AM
Gash, SA. I've been to sleep and back up again and you're still at it. Got coffee? :)

nobody's_hero
05-17-2013, 07:17 AM
All I know is that the security camera video is so dark I can't hardly tell what is going on. But you can see there's a lot of movement and the cops are swinging batons. Maybe that would be enough for a conviction. And eyewitness accounts.

Of course they're smearing one of the witnesses because he's on probation. This Melendez lady will probably be the next to be hit head on by a SWAT tank in a case of 'mistaken identity.'

There's gotta be an app that allows you to upload footage as it is recorded. I don't know much about smart phones. The cell phone I've got now would make you think it was developed shortly after the telegraph.

Bern
05-17-2013, 07:40 AM
There's gotta be an app that allows you to upload footage as it is recorded. I don't know much about smart phones. The cell phone I've got now would make you think it was developed shortly after the telegraph.

www.qik.com

Lucille
05-17-2013, 08:21 AM
Update on Deadly Bakersfield Police Beating: Seized Phone’s Video Disappears, Sheriff Calls in FBI
http://reason.com/blog/2013/05/16/update-on-deadly-bakersfield-police-beat

You may suspect that when those phones are returned to their owners, the videos were suspiciously gone. You would be half-right. One video cannot be found. The other one is apparently intact. In a slightly good piece of news, Kern County Sheriff Donny Youngblood has asked the FBI to investigate the phone as well to see if there was an actual video on the phone that had been deleted and to see if it can be recovered.

The two witnesses have legal representation, and the one intact video may be released on Friday.
[...]
Tello said the client with the missing video is very clear that she did record footage of the beating. She also, according to the Californian, happened to be the witness standing closest to the beating.

What an amazing coincidence.

better-dead-than-fed
05-17-2013, 08:46 AM
All I know is that the security camera video is so dark I can't hardly tell what is going on. But you can see there's a lot of movement and the cops are swinging batons. Maybe that would be enough for a conviction. And eyewitness accounts.

It's undisputed that police forcibly held witnesses in their homes. They had no apparent legal authority for that, so it was kidnapping. After they took the videos, they could have given copies of the videos back to the owners, but they refused. They're clearly guilty of stealing evidence; that crime should be treated as worse than murder. Forget about any courtroom murder-trial. You can't have a murder-trial when the murderers have been permitted to hide the evidence.