PDA

View Full Version : GOP Congressman: I've been targeted by IRS

Warlord
05-16-2013, 02:22 PM
Representative Bill Flores, a Texas Republican, tells National Review Online that he thinks the Internal Revenue Service may be targeting him.

And he says his work as a whistleblower may be why.

Last year, Flores was contacted by the Waco Tea Party, which is located in his district, about trouble with their application for 501(c)(4) status. Flores took up their cause, and became one of the first members of Congress to question the IRS’s conduct.

A few months later, Flores received a notification from the IRS requesting additional documents regarding his tax returns.

“Was it just an independent review of my return or was it because I was asking them questions about their activities for tax-exempt organizations?” Flores asks. “I don’t know, but once the trust is broken, you know, you lose confidence.”

Flores says his accountant sent in the requested information within the time frame allotted by the IRS, but he hasn’t heard from them since, even though the agency is required by law to respond to his submission.

“Americans have lost confidence in the federal government because of activities like this,” Flores tells me. “They still haven’t cleared my name.”

Once he’d found out about the Waco group’s 501(c)(4) process, Flores became a champion behind the scenes for them. “When the Waco Tea Party sent me the request for information that the IRS had sent to them, I could not believe what I was reading, because it appeared to me to be a witch hunt,” he recalls.

More:
http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/348543/republican-rep-i%E2%80%99ve-been-targeted-irs-betsy-woodruff

Brian4Liberty
05-16-2013, 05:06 PM
Sounds like more than a coincidence.

torchbearer
05-16-2013, 05:11 PM
how many here were targeted?

Christian Liberty
05-16-2013, 05:14 PM
I don't care about the congressmen. Congressmen don't actually pay taxes anyway. As Rothbard said, bureaucrats payiing taxes is nothing more than a waste of paper. Since a congressmen paying taxes is really just a way of lowering their salary, I see nothing wrong with it. Pay the people back.