PDA

View Full Version : "we’ll face labor shortages"

Brian4Liberty
05-16-2013, 01:38 PM
Glad to see the economy has turned around. Apparently we have labor shortages. Unemployment must be way down.

But it's not someone from the Obama administration making that claim...

Sen. Mike Lee (R-Utah), also on Thursday, pulled an amendment that would have considerably increased the caps in the guest worker program, doubling the existing 200,000 ceiling to 400,000 visas. The current language resulted from negotiations between unions and the Chamber of Commerce.

Lee said he plans to introduce it on the floor.

“The single fact remains, “ Lee said, “that if we set a cap that is too low, we’ll face labor shortages very likely to lead to more of the same kind of illegal immigration that we’ve seen in recent years.”

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2013/05/immigration-high-tech-visas-91473_Page2.html

And isn't it great that Unions and The US Chamber of Commerce negotiate on what to put in new law?

Most Unions now represent public employees. There are no Unions of IT workers. So who in this whole grand scheme is representing the American worker?

Christian Liberty
05-16-2013, 01:44 PM
What's wrong with a "Labor shortage"? Doesn't that mean, theoretically, that there's no unemployment?

Don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem with immigration. Its not really an absolute thing... more workers = more consumers = more jobs available for workers. I trust in the free market's ability to employ everyone, or at least close enough to it that churches and charities can handle the outliers, with no government intervention.

HOLLYWOOD
05-16-2013, 02:17 PM
Say Whaaaaaaaaaaaa?

“The single fact remains, “ Lee said, “that if we set a cap that is too low, we’ll face labor shortages very likely to lead to more of the same kind of illegal immigration that we’ve seen in recent years.”

Wow, is he in the pocket of the Department of Fascism, um, I mean Commerce?

Now where's the latest Mr Senator Mike Lee R-UT "FACT' on the participation rate in America?

Oh, here it is...
http://research.stlouisfed.org/fred2/graph/fredgraph.png?&id=CIVPART&scale=Left&range=Custom&cosd=1963-05-01&coed=2013-04-01&line_color=%23ff0000&link_values=false&line_style=Solid&mark_type=NONE&mw=10&lw=1&ost=-99999&oet=99999&mma=0&fml=a&fq=Monthly&fam=avg&fgst=lin&transformation=lin&vintage_date=2013-05-16&revision_date=2013-05-16

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
05-16-2013, 02:19 PM
lol. There will not be labor shortages in the US in the near future. At most, there will only be people who aren't hungry enough yet.

erowe1
05-16-2013, 02:44 PM
The current language resulted from negotiations between unions and the Chamber of Commerce.

This is how our laws are made. Ho hum. No biggie.

Brian4Liberty
05-16-2013, 05:40 PM
Say Whaaaaaaaaaaaa?

Wow, is he in the pocket of the Department of Fascism, um, I mean Commerce?

Now where's the latest Mr Senator Mike Lee R-UT "FACT' on the participation rate in America?

No doubt the US Chamber of Commerce, Zuckerberg, Gates, etc. have access to all of the US Senators, and liberally repeat their lies to them. But coming out and saying that we may have a "labor shortage" during one of the greatest periods of unemployment is laughable.

fr33
05-16-2013, 05:43 PM
lol. There will not be labor shortages in the US in the near future. At most, there will only be people who aren't hungry enough yet.
That's the truth.

awake
05-16-2013, 05:47 PM
Labor shortages can be natural or man made. In our current fascist economic system, shortages are mostly man made thanks to special interest labor groups getting laws and regulations by way of purchasing politicians.

madengr
05-16-2013, 05:48 PM
I'd rather have them here illegally, as they are free to switch jobs and negotiate with their employer, versus the indentured servitude of H1-B.

40k electrical engineering jobs lost in Q1 of 2013. STEM shortage my ass!

TaftFan
05-16-2013, 05:51 PM
I have been making this point. If he set a limit too low some industries could get screwed in terms of lack of labor.

Brian4Liberty
05-16-2013, 05:58 PM
What's wrong with a "Labor shortage"? Doesn't that mean, theoretically, that there's no unemployment?

My personal hypothesis is that labor shortages lead directly to more liberty and freedom. Excess labor results in loss of liberty.

Yieu
05-16-2013, 06:07 PM
My personal hypothesis is that labor shortages lead directly to more liberty and freedom. Excess labor results in loss of liberty.

This sounds very likely. Companies would have to offer something extra to incentivize to bring people on, maybe even pay them more for valuable services.

And that would be terrible, so we have to lobby against it.

HOLLYWOOD
05-16-2013, 06:40 PM
No doubt the US Chamber of Commerce, Zuckerberg, Gates, etc. have access to all of the US Senators, and liberally repeat their lies to them. But coming out and saying that we may have a "labor shortage" during one of the greatest periods of unemployment is laughable.All these politicians that are indebted to campaign funding will spin it around. The U.S. Senate is no stranger to a life long career government "Spin Doctors"

I think Mike Lee got his verbiage miss translated... He says their a shortage of highly specialized slave wage earners that need to be brought to America. I've seen this many many times, right from the heads that run HR (Human Resource) execs... it's about dropping the costs of labor. Foreign workers will work at much lower rates.

Seen $125K American senior design engineers laid-off and replaced with $65K foreign immigrant workers.

The taxation enforced by the US & state governments are also counter-productive in costs. More an employee makes, the more the business must pay in Payroll taxes. Social Security/FICA/Unemployment/whatever else.

It's a huge CON/SHELL GAME by Bill Gates, Zuckerberg, Cook, Ellison, Chambers, Whitmann, Fiorina, etc etc.

My recommendation, Get a job in government that requires a very high security clearance, to the level where it's NOFORN. the last of job security in America. Without a job in America, you're pretty much nothing, but the decrease in Wages/Benefits, increase in phony algorithmic Inflation/Unemployment spins, point to a government that is bought and paid for by the very individual who make huge amounts of their profits, from goverment purchasing their products. The crony/criminal cycle continues...

madengr
05-16-2013, 07:41 PM
Might recommendation, Get a job in government that requires a very high security clearance, to the level where it's NOFORN. the last of job security.

Nailed that on the head, however even most of those jobs are contacted out. If defense contractors could figure out a way around security clearances, say farming the work out to India, they'd do it in a heartbeat.

Michigan11
05-16-2013, 08:19 PM
Ever since NAFTA passed, it's been a sucking sound in this country. NAFTA really did this economy a number, while the debt bubble blew up in the 90's, it partially hid all the manufacturing going out of the country and the jobs and other businesses with it. Today I'm not even sure if another debt bubble would be noticed by the average worker or non-worker to be honest.

Brian4Liberty
05-17-2013, 11:40 AM
Ever since NAFTA passed, it's been a sucking sound in this country. NAFTA really did this economy a number, while the debt bubble blew up in the 90's, it partially hid all the manufacturing going out of the country and the jobs and other businesses with it. Today I'm not even sure if another debt bubble would be noticed by the average worker or non-worker to be honest.

Ross Perot has been vindicated. The only problem with his analogy was that the bathtub doesn't start making the sucking sound until it is almost empty.

HOLLYWOOD
05-17-2013, 12:31 PM
Ever since NAFTA passed, it's been a sucking sound in this country. NAFTA really did this economy a number, while the debt bubble blew up in the 90's, it partially hid all the manufacturing going out of the country and the jobs and other businesses with it. Today I'm not even sure if another debt bubble would be noticed by the average worker or non-worker to be honest.It's Fascism on Steroids... the corporate/government partnership obviously exploits the American workers for campaign donations.

Washington DC's bailing-out BIG 3/Wall St. getting, W Bush's bankruptcy laws, and voting to ban Cheap Import drugs from Canada/UK/EU were the last financial straws we needed to prove the RICO of Big Gov and Big Business.

I still think of all those Billions Congress and the EPA gave the Big 3 through the 1990s-2000s to increase fuel mileages and lower emissions... EPA reformulated the measurements and BIG3 used taxpayer Billions over those years for stock buybacks and bonuses, right up to the collapse.

Cheap Drugs... Imports ruled unsafe, but Big Pharma worked with the US Government to set a monopoly as well as price fixing with ObamaCare. NEOFascism as the US Big Pharma corporation gave the FDA $350 Million, after the vote, to monitor their drugs coming out of China, etc.

There's a great one liner in the movie BLACK RAIN... Michael Douglas in front of Internal Affairs, they accused him of being a dirty cop and skimming off the top on Drug bust. Douglas goes off on the DIA officials on, "Look at the racketeering and corruption at Police Plaza, City Hall, and you're busting my bails?"

Love that line, but as we all know and experience, Big Powerful government is abusive and criminal no matter the political system... that has always resulted through facts of historical evidence.