PDA

View Full Version : The Des Moines Plan

John of Des Moines
06-23-2007, 03:31 PM
First off I was with Joe, Iowa Coordinator all day yesterday renting the hall. The hall RP has "B", the PC Forum is in "C". It is literally 20 feet away. It is 20,000 sq ft and should hold 1,000 (seats) or so plus the Convention center can remove the wall between b and c after the Forum ends at 5 and expand the hall even more. (If there is a map of the Convention center we have the first third of hall b.)

I'm trying to get a road closure permit for outside the center for a rally.

Remember this is a work in progress so what I say can change in a flash.

The People at the Convention Center were excited about the idea after they learned what happened in KC.

JoshLowry
06-23-2007, 03:32 PM
Completely agree.

Thanks for the info John.

John of Des Moines
06-23-2007, 03:41 PM
Thanks for the great information, John! Happy faces 'n' smilez!

Sorry dude but I was given permission to post that last night. And like I said I DID NOT expect HQ to take so long posting a news release.

Now what did you think of the plan? That's what we should be talking about.

Noodles
So why are we supposed to come to Iowa, again?
The BIG party that we're not invited to.
The FREE FOOD we're not supposed to eat.

Try this:
When, (if), the campaign comes South, then come down here and be treated with hospitality.

Go Ron Paul

ARealConservative
Thanks for the great information, John! Happy faces 'n' smilez!

Ditto. thanks for volunteering your time John!

yongrel
when I first got the news of Ron Paul's rally, I thought it was a little anti-climactic.

I said in an earlier post that I didn't think that this was a 15.

But I'll tell ya what. If things work out right, this has the potential to become a 16.

(if everyone behaves themselves;) )

lucky
06-23-2007, 03:42 PM
Sounds great and love that the Iowans get first chance and it should be that way. They need to hear this great man and what a true non tax person he is. Great job and I think it is huge.

The out of staters will be welcomed Iam sure.

Oh yeah the tiny nasty things I said were just in jest.:D

John of Des Moines
06-23-2007, 03:42 PM
Hey what happened the the unemployability diss? I SAW it.

yongrel
06-23-2007, 03:43 PM

Try this:
When, (if), the campaign comes South, then come down here and be treated with hospitality.

Go Ron Paul

Noodles, the campaign has limited finances to devote to this effort. You want more food for the masses? Donate food for the masses. Problem solved.

ARealConservative
06-23-2007, 03:44 PM

To help Dr. Paul win of course.

It's a long drive for many, and too far for most. We certainly understand that.

But a big showing is important to pull this off. Please stay positive.

Noodles
06-23-2007, 03:45 PM
Can you read???

I SAID COME TO MS AND BE TREATED WITH HOSPITALITY. That includes food.

ARealConservative
06-23-2007, 03:46 PM
so, is this operation mole show or something.

:eek:

Zydeco
06-23-2007, 03:47 PM
Sorry dude but I was given permission to post that last night. And like I said I DID NOT expect HQ to take so long posting a news release.

Now what did you think of the plan? That's what we should be talking about.

John from Des Moines,

Thank you for your sincere apology! Did they give you permission to call it a 15 on a scale from 1 to 10? I bet they did because it's not a 15, it's a 25!

I think the idea is great, John! It certainly will not come off as a bunch of know-it-all out of staters crashing into an Iowa event, and Ed Failor, Jr. will not point this out at every opportunity. That will not happen and I trust anything that comes out of JfDM's keyboard.

15!:D A L L S M I L E Z, D A W G !

John of Des Moines
06-23-2007, 03:48 PM
At $10 a plate the Campaign can not afford to feed everybody who shows up. The Concession stands can sell food to others. But, the Campaign wants to feed the hungry Forum goers as a HOOK. Get it?

Zydeco
06-23-2007, 03:50 PM
so, is this operation mole show or something.

:eek:

Yes, I am a mole who donated $2,300 to the Ron Paul campaign.

Why do Noodles and Zydeco hate America? Why do they hate Ron Paul?

RJB
06-23-2007, 03:51 PM
I'll show up hungry, (I'm always hungry) but I'll gladly give away as many plates of food to potential converts as it takes. :)

Zydeco
06-23-2007, 03:53 PM
At $10 a plate the Campaign can not afford to feed everybody who shows up. The Concession stands can sell food to others. But, the Campaign wants to feed the hungry Forum goers as a HOOK. Get it?

JfDM says it will be $10 per plate, but it will really be $15 per plate! Or maybe $15,000!

The key to organizations is to get rid of a few, certain destructive people who are self-centered, unreliable, and have little empathy for others.

Some here will interpret that to mean Zydeco should get kicked off this forum.

BravoSix
06-23-2007, 03:53 PM
Makes sense to me, John. I understand that we, as supporters of Dr. Paul, are not the ones that need to be introduced to RP and converted. That fact is apparently lost on a select few.

I'll be there, from Florida.

ARealConservative
06-23-2007, 03:54 PM

I assume it's not just forum goers but other people not already an activist. The press released has been released. The first 500 was what they announced.

What we are asking for is you supporters to come because you support Dr. Paul, and not to because free food is there. Let that go to other people.

Dr. Paul and the media will be there. That's enough for me.

lucky
06-23-2007, 03:54 PM
I may be hungry myself but will pin a twenty dollar bill to my shirt and find a meal somewhere. In fact I will try to feed another out of towner if I can make it.

beermotor
06-23-2007, 04:10 PM

Try this:

Go Ron Paul

I'd just like the Campaign to know that we're not all a bunch of annoying, whiny, self-centered schmucks down here (in the south). Jesus. Up the meds, man.

At any rate, good show - this is going to be great.

beermotor
06-23-2007, 04:11 PM
[snip, covered in other post]

Zydeco
06-23-2007, 04:15 PM
Dude, why don't you just get lost? Seriously. Are you a 40 year old virgin? Come on guy, effin' RELAX. And also, shut up.

Kthxbye.

Yes, Noodles, get lost. This message board is for people who hear news-lying from Person X on Friday, then expectantly await more news from Person X on Saturday.

It's not for people who hate Ron Paul!

beermotor
06-23-2007, 04:19 PM
If you can't act like a grown up, then yeah, I think you should get lost. I don't see what is so outlandish about that.

Come on guys, I know you can do better.

LibertyEagle
06-23-2007, 04:25 PM
The food is meant for the Forum goers. They are not being provided food by the Forum so they'll be hungry. We want to capture them as they're leaving the Forum with a free meal as it were. We're thinking of handing out free food tickets to the Forum goers. The food IS NOT meant for the masses coming from out of state.

Also, please don't crowd the place out - it is mean for Paul to speak to Iowans.
What I'd like is for Paul to talk to the Forum attendees then meet and greet with them. After they leave have a second Paul speech, then break the place down for a dance inside.

I'm trying to get a road closure permit for outside the center for a rally.

Remember this is a work in progress so what I say can change in a flash.

The People at the Convention Center were excited about the idea after they learned what happened in KC.

And to all those you dissed me on the other thread I quote Tom Hagen: "This committee owes an apology! This committee owes an apology!" So there: :p

John, I am so glad that the planning for this thing really seems to be coming together. Thank you so much for all the hard work you've been putting into this.

I'm very happy to see the announcement about the food and the reminder that the purpose of this thing is to get the word out to Iowans and to hopefully get their votes in the straw poll. I know we all would love to hear Dr. Paul speak too, but if everybody remembers, we were planning to go even before we knew Dr. Paul was going to be there.

If we can all remember this is all about getting the vote out in IOWA and we're there to show support for Dr. Paul's campaign, this should be a resounding success. :) We're all in this together.

walt
06-23-2007, 04:41 PM

Try this:

Go Ron Paul

I agree he sounds pompous and rude. However, I think he is well intentioned.

Personally I think that having it indoors in a small place is a recipe for disaster. A better plan would be to have this outdoors and have press about people. A headline of 30,000 ravel from thousands of miles away to overcome Ron Paul's censorship is a much stronger headline than campaign wastes money on unnecessary hall and turns away thousands. Bad move.

Noodles
06-23-2007, 04:43 PM
I'd just like the Campaign to know that we're not all a bunch of annoying, whiny, self-centered schmucks down here (in the south). Jesus. Up the meds, man.

At any rate, good show - this is going to be great.

Beermotor,
You're kinda new around here, and I understand your aggravation. But we DO NOT MAKE PERSONAL ATTACKS on this forum.

Thanks ,
Noodles

LibertyEagle
06-23-2007, 04:44 PM
Yeah well, 30,000 aren't coming.

ChrisM
06-23-2007, 04:45 PM
I agree he sounds pompous and rude. However, I think he is well intentioned.

Personally I think that having it indoors in a small place is a recipe for disaster. A better plan would be to have this outdoors and have press about people. A headline of 30,000 ravel from thousands of miles away to overcome Ron Paul's censorship is a much stronger headline than campaign wastes money on unnecessary hall and turns away thousands. Bad move.
If that many people show up, they'll find a way to accomodate them. Remember, after 5:00, they can use the auditorium next door.

LibertyEagle
06-23-2007, 04:46 PM
Originally Posted by Noodles View Post

Try this:

Go Ron Paul

We also try to be positive around here.

GreenApples
06-23-2007, 04:49 PM

Still looking for a free lunch, eh?

Good thing Dr. Paul will be getting rid of those kinds of programs.

Scribbler de Stebbing
06-23-2007, 04:50 PM
Hey, guys, WE are rallying outside. The press will see us. The forum goers will see us. Pack some food for the day in your car. Bring a cooler.

I do hope RP will let us get picts with him though. I propose we all take a ton of picts of all the rally-goers with Ron Paul so we don't spend time handing off our cameras, then post all the picts somewhere so each can find his/her pict with Ron Paul. Ditto for video footage. Let's have a repository somewhere for all this. Flickr, I suppose.

I REALLY want my pict with Ron Paul!

Zydeco
06-23-2007, 04:54 PM
Mark my words, everyone here: the event in Des Moines is going to backfire. It's a bad idea and I have zero confidence in John of Des Moines to lead it.

That may sound harsh, but the MSM and neocon Republican Establishment would love to paint a picture of Ron Paul's supporters as fringe rallyers/protesters. This is going to come off that way. And as I've stated before, the vast majority of rallyers will be from out of state, and the MSM will quote Ed Failor, Jr. nationally painting it with that brush. Iowans will not be impressed by it, they will resent it the same way they resented the Deaniacs in '04 (Dean came in a distant 3rd).

And frankly, this guy John of Des Moines makes me nervous as hell in any kind of leadership or communications position. You don't have time to deal with "mundane questions"? Any campaign PR pro would yank your mike for that alone. Not to mention flat-out lying to Ron Paul fans for your own amusement, like yesterday when you said:

"No he will NOT be in attendance to speak to us. As I've said earlier, I know for a fact Dr. Paul is busy that day."

I hope the Ron Paul HQ has a better handle on this than I think they do. I hope JfDM is not the campaign's Iowa point man. I sense looming disaster, folks.

yongrel
06-23-2007, 04:56 PM
Zydeco, you have every right to speak your mind.

That does not mean that you should.

Scribbler de Stebbing
06-23-2007, 04:56 PM
Mark my words, everyone here: the event in Des Moines is going to backfire. It's a bad idea and I have zero confidence in John of Des Moines to lead it.

John is just one of the organizers, and I have full confidence in him. He was having fun parsing words when he said he knew Ron Paul was busy that day. He WILL be busy that day.

There is another volunteer organizer working with John as well as the new paid staffer. Relax. This is a great idea and it's going to be fabulous!

LibertyEagle
06-23-2007, 04:57 PM
Zydeco, there is an Iowa coordinator and his name is Joe.

Zydeco
06-23-2007, 04:59 PM
He was having fun parsing words when he said he knew Ron Paul was busy that day. He WILL be busy that day.

No Scribbler, he said:

No he will NOT be in attendance to speak to us.

That's not a joke, it's a lie. It's a stupid thing to say. Click on his comments and read them and tell me if it's not amateur hour.

I'm glad to know he's not in charge.

Zydeco
06-23-2007, 05:00 PM
Zydeco, there is an Iowa coordinator and his name is Joe.

Thanks -- do you have a last name, Liberty Eagle, and an e-mail address? I have a concern to share.

LibertyEagle
06-23-2007, 05:00 PM
OK, OK, OK!!!!!!! WE'VE GOT THE POINT, ZYDECO! Is your intent just to bring everyone down or what exactly IS it?

LibertyEagle
06-23-2007, 05:01 PM
Thanks -- do you have a last name, Liberty Eagle, and an e-mail address? I have a concern to share.

You can send me a private message. (upper right hand corner of the screen) or just click on my name.

Zydeco
06-23-2007, 05:04 PM
OK, OK, OK!!!!!!! WE'VE GOT THE POINT, ZYDECO! Is your intent just to bring everyone down or what exactly IS it?

My points are 1) that this event is going to become a Deaniac disaster for the Paul campaign's public image if it's mostly out of staters and 2) John of Des Moines has shown a pattern of behavior that the RP campaign should know about.

I guess I'll Google Iowa chief Joe's e-mail address.

LibertyEagle
06-23-2007, 05:06 PM
I PM'd you Zydeco, but the Iowa coordinator's email address is...

joe@ronpaul2008.com

Noodles
06-23-2007, 05:06 PM
If John of Des Moines is indicative of what we're trying to accomplish, then count me as fucking confused. I was reading Ayn Rand when he was in diapers probably. Keep attacking anybody who disagrees with anything, and you'll end up with what you've got. Same as it ever was.

And for the smartass with the food comment, I sent another $100 to the campaign this morning. And will continue to do so, regardless of what happens with these liars in Iowa. And I'll bet the rent that Ron Paul's numbers will be better in Mississippi than they end up in Iowa. I hope I am proven wrong, because we need a very strong start.

A little tip for John: it's not about you, dude. What are you, a normal republican?
Get off that high horse and join the ground troops.

GreenApples
06-23-2007, 05:08 PM
My points are 1) that this event is going to become a Deaniac disaster for the Paul campaign's public image if it's mostly out of staters and 2) John of Des Moines has shown a pattern of behavior that the RP campaign should know about.

I guess I'll Google Iowa chief Joe's e-mail address.

I disagree. It will be a good showing of American citizens who are upset Dr. Paul was excluded.

Zydeco
06-23-2007, 05:08 PM
I PM'd you Zydeco, but the Iowa coordinator's email address is...

joe@ronpaul2008.com

Thanks, Liberty. Does anyone know John of Des Moines' last name? Please PM me.

GreenApples
06-23-2007, 05:09 PM
Desmoines

Zydeco
06-23-2007, 05:10 PM
I disagree. It will be a good showing of American citizens who are upset Dr. Paul was excluded.

Green Apples, if you were one of the 1,500 Iowans at the forum, would you be impressed or irritated by 5,000 chanting out of staters?

And remember journalists are NOT on our side, they'll be happy to file "5,000 out of state protesters" stories. And they will.

yongrel
06-23-2007, 05:10 PM
oi vey! enough of the internecine conflict!

we're all working towards the same goal. that should be enough to keep us from tearing each other apart.

the anonymity provided by a keyboard is proving to be intoxicating to some.

Noodles
06-23-2007, 05:14 PM
Noodles = Satan
666 Cornfield Way
Des Moines, Iowa

AlexAmore
06-23-2007, 05:17 PM
http://www.forumspile.com/Stop-Government.jpg

LibertyEagle
06-23-2007, 05:18 PM
I know this is only just my opinion, so take it for what it is worth.

I didn't like what happened last night either, especially after the first couple of hours, but I honestly think John was just excited beyond all belief at the plans and since he thought the announcement was coming out in just a few minutes, he let us in on some of it. I'm sure John would be the first to say, it didn't exactly turn out like he had planned.

That's behind us though, at this point. Past history.

It sounds to me like John has done a LOT of work to make Iowa a success and is working with a number of other dedicated individuals. If some of you haven't seen, in another thread, a guy going by Gigaplex is creating over 13,000 Ron Paul DVDs to hand out in Iowa. BTW, he needs some additional donations before he takes the final copy in for mass production. http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=4044

There is a coordinator in Iowa. We have the support of at least one big radio station. A couple of papers have come out in our favor. The Iowa Meetup group is engaged. This is actually more coordination than anything I have seen thus far in this campaign. :D The decision to hold it inside has been made. Let's now figure out how we can best support this deal to make it a resounding success. Because if it IS, we ALL WIN.

John of Des Moines
06-23-2007, 05:24 PM
And frankly, this guy John of Des Moines makes me nervous as hell in any kind of leadership or communications position. You don't have time to deal with "mundane questions"?

"No he will NOT be in attendance to speak to us. As I've said earlier, I know for a fact Dr. Paul is busy that day."

I hope the Ron Paul HQ has a better handle on this than I think they do. I hope JfDM is not the campaign's Iowa point man. I sense looming disaster, folks.

pay $72 to start the meetup group. Now I get this thrown in my lap.

Perhaps YOU can answer the questions I'm getting. (How do I run my meetup group? People don't want to hand out flyers what should I do? How do I pay for this or that? Where is the best place to stay in Des Moines? Or eat? ) Sorry big Z but I'm getting emails EVERY DAY like that. Should I plan the event or answer questions that would take a little research on the emailers' part. Please answer. Plus I get emails from the campaign too and other group organizers. And if you noticed I have a point person to handle the mundane travel questions. It's called delegation of authority.

As for you citing "No he will NOT be in attendance to speak to us. As I've said earlier, I know for a fact Dr. Paul is busy that day." Yes he has no plans to speak to people rallying outside (at this time). So I was correct. I did NOT say he would not be in Des Moines. Perhaps, a class in reading comprehension is in order.

And if you read my original post I said: "Ask me no questions, I'll tell you no lies." Did you ask me a question? So who's fault is that? Yours or mine?

It's not my fault I'm in Des Moines and you're whereever you are looking in. We all can't be lightening rods.

Finally, thanks for the vote of Confidence.

Noodles
06-23-2007, 05:26 PM
You make me sick. You're the reason a lot of us have given up on politics.

Thanks very much.

Noodles
06-23-2007, 05:27 PM
Tell me where to send the goddamned check, and I'll see that you get your $72 dollars back. Wouldn't want you to have to sacrifice anything punk.

Bradley in DC
06-23-2007, 05:30 PM

No, we think private charity can do better!

Electrostatic
06-23-2007, 05:32 PM
Hate to admit it, but Zydeco really does have a point.. This is going to have to be handled carefully, or it could backfire.. Never underestimate the lengths the MSM will go to when they want to paint a story...

The Dane
06-23-2007, 05:33 PM
Hey, get over it guys. Look forward.

About the event, it will be important to give priority to Iowans, especially Iowans coming from a neutral stance about Ron Paul. The HQ got that one right already with the offer of free food to be primarily to non-supporters. So i dont see where you guys disagree.

Bradley in DC
06-23-2007, 05:34 PM
And frankly, this guy John of Des Moines makes me nervous as hell in any kind of leadership or communications position.

I too wonder about the out of state element being spun against us, but there are differences with the Dean analogy as well--this is demonstrating that he's credible with support despite the wishes of the other group's organizer.

John is just an excited supporter--the Iowa and national HQs run a tight ship (even when we don't want them to)

LibertyEagle
06-23-2007, 05:35 PM
And if you noticed I have a point person to handle the mundane travel questions. It's called delegation of authority.

John, could you please remind us who this is?

AlexAmore
06-23-2007, 05:38 PM
Everyone should dress up like an Iowan. Problem solved...

http://media.collegepublisher.com/media/paper599/stills/04p771j5.jpg
Daily Iowan Publisher Bill Casey

John of Des Moines
06-23-2007, 05:42 PM
And for the smartass with the food comment, I sent another $100 to the campaign this morning.

How is pointing out the food is meant AS A HOOK for the hungry Forum goers a "smartass" comment? I was speaking of the campaign's desire to get IOWAN straw poll and caucus goers interested in Ron Paul. Do you have an objection with that? If you're po'd you're not getting a free meal sign up for food stamps. If you were planning to come pre-announcement is the fact the campaign to woo with Iowa voters food instead of you is what's eating your goat? What is your malfunction?

John of Des Moines
06-23-2007, 05:44 PM
Meg Davis of the KC group is the travel point person.

Meg Davis <meg9999@gmx.net>

RJB
06-23-2007, 05:45 PM
I got a set of bib overalls, or is that a Missouri midwestern thing? :)

Bradley in DC
06-23-2007, 05:47 PM
I was reading Ayn Rand when he was in diapers probably. Keep attacking anybody who disagrees with anything, and you'll end up with what you've got. Same as it ever was..

I thought that was the Talking Heads.

Scribbler de Stebbing
06-23-2007, 05:49 PM
Noodles and Zydeco, what have you done to get Ron Paul elected today? Yesterday? This last week? And I don't want to hear about your contribution again. I'm not telling how much I've given as I'm not looking for kudos. We should be thanking John for actually doing some work. But you guys are complaining that you're not getting a free lunch from the campaign. What does that tell us?

Zydeco
06-23-2007, 05:49 PM
John of Des Moines,

If you're in over your head with responsibility, and you are, then let someone at Paul HQ know. Authority can be delegated upward, not just downward.

I'm sure you're an enthusiastic supporter of RP like I am and I don't mean to be a prick. We need to work together. But the stunt you pulled last night was not acceptable, and your non-apology was obnoxious, and communications responsibilities do not play to your strengths. So punt if you have to, and I'll cool my ass down, and we'll all move forward.

Bryan in Iowa
06-23-2007, 05:50 PM
Can you read???

I SAID COME TO MS AND BE TREATED WITH HOSPITALITY. That includes food.

Noodles...if you show up, I will personally buy you an Iowa steak dinner...that's corn fed beef...the best in the world. If you'd rather have pork, we have the famous Iowa Chop too! We are hospitable here in Iowa...we are known for it. The Ron Paul campaign can not afford to feed 1000 rally goers, but please do not allow it to reflect on the good-nature of Iowa folk. This 'event' is to sway Iowans who have been misguided by the other candidates, and by the Iowans for Tax Relief. It is to attract potential voters in the Iowa Straw Poll for Ron Paul. When Dr. Paul wins the straw poll, which is a good possibility, the national media will have no choice but to realize he is a viable, credible candidate for the presidency of the United States.

I am a native Iowan, John is from Chicago I think :D I am a high school teacher, John went to law school...that might explain a few things too :p My sincere apologies in advance dear John...you're doing a wonderful job bringing all of this together!

ButchHowdy
06-23-2007, 05:52 PM
Noodles and Zydeco, what have you done to get Ron Paul elected today? Yesterday? This last week? And I don't want to hear about your contribution again. I'm not telling how much I've given as I'm not looking for kudos. We should be thanking John for actually doing some work. But you guys are complaining that you're not getting a free lunch from the campaign. What does that tell us?

AMEN! Thank you for all you're doing John!

angelatc
06-23-2007, 05:52 PM
http://media.eventbooking.com/34982_ed.jpg - here's a map:

http://media.eventbooking.com/34982_ed.jpg

Bradley in DC
06-23-2007, 05:53 PM
Finally, thanks for the vote of Confidence.

John, you know we <looking at the sky, rolling eyes, shuffling feet, acting all innocent> were joking about the tar and feathers, right?

That said, the many hours waiting and unnecessary comments (word play, bigger than Tancredo endorsement, etc.) probably aggravated more than helped. Obviously, that was never your intention, and yes we're all very happy there are dedicated volunteers in Des Moines for Dr. Paul.

LibertyEagle
06-23-2007, 05:53 PM
You're a good man, Bryan. Thanks.

LibertyEagle
06-23-2007, 05:55 PM
angelatc,

Thanks for posting that layout. This is going to be GREAT!!

John of Des Moines
06-23-2007, 05:58 PM
John, you know we <looking at the sky, rolling eyes, shuffling feet, acting all innocent> were joking about the tar and feathers, right?

That said, the many hours waiting and unnecessary comments (word play, bigger than Tancredo endorsement, etc.) probably aggravated more than helped. Obviously, that was never your intention, and yes we're all very happy there are dedicated volunteers in Des Moines for Dr. Paul.

Oh, the tar and feathers were on the other thread. I know the campaign not releasing the info was getting under people's skin. My comment was directed to whoever I was replying to, and not the the all the great people on here.

fedup100
06-23-2007, 06:00 PM
Thank you John for your hard work, excitement and for thinking outside the box.

This campaign must think out side the box and fight till they are "shitty as a bull" in order to overcome the nasty bastards that are in control of SELECTING our choices for President.

Maybe some of you, and I am including myself, do not realize how easy it is to offend someone with an email. I don't understand it either, but it truly does happen.

All of you that have been upset over this must stop it now and come together. THIS IS WHAT FAILOR AN ROTTEN RUDY and all the other creeps are hoping.....that we all start infighting, implode and give up.

I think this idea is spectacular and will create a stir no matter what. The event may be a gamble, but nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Come on every one apologize to each other and lets get our heads together and keep pushing and put Dr. Paul in the White house.

Then after he is elected, those of you that have issues with each other can have a meet-up and beat the shit out of each other, we can even youtube it and digg it like Jack Ass, but for now..........ONWARD AND UPWARD!!

literatim
06-23-2007, 06:04 PM
I think it is an excellent plan myself. Attract hungry Forum goers who didn't get to hear Ron Paul. :D

CurtisLow
06-23-2007, 06:10 PM
Great job John! You'll do great! I wish I could help you out, but I'm stuck in Pa. lol

Zydeco
06-23-2007, 06:10 PM
I too wonder about the out of state element being spun against us, but there are differences with the Dean analogy as well--this is demonstrating that he's credible with support despite the wishes of the other group's organizer.

Given the two ways they'll have to spin this, which do you think the MSM will choose? Remember, they are as much the enemy as GWB.

Spin #1: an impressive display of Ron Paul supporters on hand in Iowa, showing the other candidates who the *real* tax-cutter is, or

Spin #2: "an unruly, chanting crowd of mostly non-Iowans, some from as far away as Florida, descended upon the Iowans for Tax Relief and Iowa Christian Alliance's candidates forum in Des Moines today when their candidate, long-shot congressman Ron Paul, wasn't invited to speak at the event alongside Gov. Mike Huckabee, congressman Duncan Hunter, and other, mostly-lower-tier contenders.

"Not all Iowans we talked to were happy about the intrusion. Carol Smith, of Council Bluffs, was offended by the group's loud chanting. And Ed Failor and XXX, heads of Iowans for Tax Relief and the Iowa Christian Alliance, were also not amused..." (pan to Ed Failor, Jr. being interviewed by sympathetic reporter).

Etc. etc.

Hmmm, let me guess how they're going to run with it.

I'd rather have 500 Iowans meeting/protesting than 50,000 out of staters.

megan
06-23-2007, 06:16 PM
the spin is pretty hard to escape. and it goes both ways. I think all politicans and voters have to be aware of that--too bad most of them just eat it up. looks like I have nothing to add! kbye!

RJB
06-23-2007, 06:17 PM
Give up Z. It's going to happen. Whether your for it or against it, it doesn't matter at this time. It's happening. The best we can do is make sure it comes out well.

LibertyEagle
06-23-2007, 06:21 PM
Zydeco....

Are you suggesting that we should shut down the plan to go to Iowa?

CAKochenash
06-23-2007, 06:24 PM

well said.

MsDoodahs
06-23-2007, 06:25 PM
So if it is well known that Iowans don't like having people from outside Iowa come up there, why have we been encouraged to go to Iowa?

:confused:

If all these people from out of state make the trip, it would be HORRID if the campaign did not make arrangements for Dr. Paul to speak to them.

I understand that the target for the event inside is Iowans who have not yet decided who their candidate will be.

The call has been out there for a few days for NON Iowans to make the trip - someone at the campaign needs to see to it that Dr. Paul speaks to THEM as well.

Don't ignore the grassroots folks - that would be a big mistake and cause WAY more disappointment than the teaser thread...

literatim
06-23-2007, 06:26 PM

Given the two ways they'll have to spin this, which do you think the MSM will choose? Remember, they are as much the enemy as GWB.

Spin #1: an impressive display of Ron Paul supporters on hand in Iowa, showing the other candidates who the *real* tax-cutter is, or

Spin #2: "an unruly, chanting crowd of mostly non-Iowans, some from as far away as Florida, descended upon the Iowans for Tax Relief and Iowa Christian Alliance's candidates forum in Des Moines today when their candidate, long-shot congressman Ron Paul, wasn't invited to speak at the event alongside Gov. Mike Huckabee, congressman Duncan Hunter, and other, mostly-lower-tier contenders.

"Not all Iowans we talked to were happy about the intrusion. Carol Smith, of Council Bluffs, was offended by the group's loud chanting. And Ed Failor and XXX, heads of Iowans for Tax Relief and the Iowa Christian Alliance, were also not amused..." (pan to Ed Failor, Jr. being interviewed by sympathetic reporter).

Etc. etc.

Hmmm, let me guess how they're going to run with it.

I'd rather have 500 Iowans meeting/protesting than 50,000 out of staters.

Uhm. The mainstream media will report on it--if they report on it at all--as somehow negative no matter what anyone does. There will not be anywhere near 50,000 out of staters, we will be lucky to see a couple hundred.

Noodles
06-23-2007, 06:27 PM
Do you really think I would drive 4 people over 1000 miles for a FREE MEAL.
It's not about the food. Are you people serious?

I was offended by the games being played. I am offended by the non-apology.
I am offended that so many are so quick to want to silence anyone outside the party-line.

What have I done today? This week? This month? Funny you should ask. I've worked 48 hours at my job, made about 25 phone calls to friends/relatives re:Ron Paul, showed the video from ronpaulaudio.com to 17 people, convinced 6 of them to come to a meet-up if we can get enough interest, bought and wore a "what would jesus bomb?" shirt to raise questions about this war, bought a Who Is This Man? Ron Paul shirt to start conversations about this campaign, donated $125, bought 2 RonPaulRevolution shirts for my daughters, age 7 & 5, convinced my wife that a trip to Iowa with my brother and some friends is a good idea, passed out 150 flyers that I designed specifically for South Mississippi voters, spent most of last night awake watching the internet for the BIG NEWS, spent the day wondering why everyone else is so nonchalant about being lied to repeatedly, spent the same time e-mailing about 20 pharmacists to spread the word about Ron Paul, then spent the last hour soul-searching.

Here's what I've decided: I'm getting Ron Paul elected. We will carry MS because I will not rest until the primary. I will not be deterred. You do it your way, I'll do it mine. But it must be done.

Fuck you very much.

stevedasbach
06-23-2007, 06:29 PM
A few observations from 30+ years of political involvement:

1. More people at a rally is always better than fewer people. We should be encouraging attendance, not discouraging it, no matter where people come from.

2. Publically criticising those who are doing the work of putting an event together won't make the event better or more successful. It may, however, discourage those people and/or distract them from organizing a successful event.

3. No event is ever organized as well as it could have been. Perfection is never an option. The important thing is find people willing to move forward, make decisions, and bear up under the inevitable second-guessing and armchair quarterbacking.

Thus far, the campaign events I've seen on YouTube have been pretty impressive. Let's give the campaign the benefit of the doubt, assume that they know what they are doing until they prove otherwise, and support their efforts in whatever way we can.

Personally, since I can't attend the rally, I'm heading to www.ronpaul2008.com to finish maxing out to the campaign.

yongrel
06-23-2007, 06:30 PM
you're welcome?

LibertyEagle
06-23-2007, 06:31 PM
you're welcome?

:D

LibertyEagle
06-23-2007, 06:32 PM
"Here's what I've decided: I'm getting Ron Paul elected. We will carry MS because I will not rest until the primary. I will not be deterred. You do it your way, I'll do it mine. But it must be done"

Noodles, I think this sounds like a great plan.

Texan4Life
06-23-2007, 07:17 PM
Reporters who ask questions and are not inclined to view RP favorably. And then they write stories about it.

Maybe, but wouldn't the reporters be more interested in where the action is? that would be in the building where Iowans are eating some good chow soaking up the RP message.

Original_Intent
06-23-2007, 07:19 PM
Hello everyone, first-time poster here from Austin, Texas. I'm a little perplexed by the infighting. Let's take a moment to remember how we got here.

Q: What is the forum, and why do we care?
A: The Iowa forum is a platform for candidates to speak to political activists in Iowa. Making a good impression will help in the upcoming Iowa straw poll and caucuses.

Q: Why are we angry that Ron Paul wasn't invited?
A: Because he won't have a chance to speak to the activists.

Q: Then what should be our objective?
A: Getting Ron Paul and the activists together in a room where Ron can do his thing and win some of them over.

Protesting Failor and demonstrating Ron's national support is seconday; the primary thing is giving Ron a chance to talk to these people in Iowa. This is a great opportunity because we get to use Failor's efforts against him: all the work he does getting people to the forum is work we don't have to do. The more Iowans Failor gets to show up, the more Iowans will hear from Ron Paul.

Our job is to convince people to stick around long enough to hear Ron speak, and that's where the free food and drink comes in. Essentially we want to hold a kind of post-forum party with Ron Paul as the guest of honor. Crashing the event with protests or crowding out all the Iowans is going to be seriously counter-productive. We need to show a little discretion and not get up in everyone's face about Ed Failor--everyone already knows what he did, it's been in Iowa newspapers and all over the internet.

Excellent 1st post.

To those with some opinions about the wisdom of the event or how the event should be run -- well frankly it is Dr. Paul's call, his campaign's call, and the organizers' in Iowa's call. I am sure your opinion is duly noted, but repeating the same negative rant over and over is not being productive, repeating yourself as if we don't "get" your point shows that you are not someone who should be giving advice on winning people over.

I appreciate your concerns I am hope they are honest concerns and you are not trolling, but there comes a time when you gotta say I said my two cents worth, peace out.

edit: and how the heck did this post get before the post that I quoted?

mdh
06-23-2007, 07:19 PM

Well, I wouldn't go this far. The guy made a mistake. I admonished him, as I would anyone... let's not be too big to give someone a second chance. :)

BravoSix
06-23-2007, 07:20 PM
I understand where Zydeco and Noodles are coming from. As a matter fact, I understood it the first time. Repeating it 15, 20, or 30 times isn't really necessary, but thanks.

Anyway, I can see the point, even if I disagree.

Here's my issue: I am a recent transplant to Florida, coming originally from Pennsylvania. I am proudly Pennsylvanian. If I still lived in PA, and a large group of out of staters arrived to support a candidate, I wouldn't necessarily view them in a negative light. If they're polite, well behaved, and respectful, then I would be happy to have 'em.

Not to mention, there are several Iowans on here and other forums advocating a large rally of supporters, regardless of their state of origin. Quite obviously, at leasta portion of Iowans don't feel the way you say they do.

denvervoipguru
06-23-2007, 07:23 PM
[I]
Yes, Noodles, get lost. This message board is for people who hear news-lying from Person X on Friday, then expectantly await more news from Person X on Saturday.

It's not for people who hate Ron Paul!

Zydeco,

You've made your point. Shake it off, let it go, get back on track...be part of a solution.

csen
06-23-2007, 07:24 PM
I see this as different from the Dean campaign for this reason: Dean was a well-known commodity in Iowa and the media was overdoing the "Internet is making him a sensation" story. Plus, at that time the anti-war message wasn't as powerful as it is now, so he didn't have the inherent likeability. With Ron Paul, despite appearances on the Daily Show, Colbert, etc, he is being written off by the MSM when they even talk about him. Many state polls (including Iowa) don't have him on the list of candidates. He wasn't invited to this event because he's "not credible." Any mention of him at all is prefaced by "long-shot," "fringe," and at best, "internet sensation that hasn't translated to the real world."

This is a chance to show that we exist in the real world. It's important that the out of staters are well-behaved and don't come off badly, but I do think this is worth the gamble. Thanks for bringing up the behavior/Iowans issue though, otherwise I wouldn't have given it much thought.

BravoSix
06-23-2007, 07:25 PM
Ok, then I'm from Iowa.

SeanEdwards
06-23-2007, 07:26 PM
I just hope any out of staters going focus on making a good impression. Stick to Ron Paul's issues. ;)

Man from La Mancha
06-23-2007, 07:41 PM
If people are polite and don't turn into an unruly group. Can you imagine before the rally and after the rally all the Iowans that all these people will meet driving across the state shopping at restaurants, gas stations, hotels,ect. It would be great if they have the time to take the back roads into the state to talk to the real people. Far more effective this could be than just a televised rally. If 2000 people showed up and when traveling thru that state talk to each 10 Iowans, that means 20,000 people. Talk to a hundred and that is 200,000.

I wish I could be there good luck for you all!!!

denvervoipguru
06-23-2007, 07:42 PM
Press: "Why are you here all the way from Cheyenne?"

RP Supporter: "We're just here to support Iowans."

RP Supporter: Iowans have been a bit disenfranchised with this particular event in that Dr. Paul was not included...he's the strongest tax reform advocate among the entire field of candidates." So we wanted to make our own event, invite Ron Paul and make sure that no "special interest" gets in the way of fair and open political discussion"

Thoughts on this?
Is this close to the tone/attitude we should have going into this?

Zydeco? Others?

Noodles
06-23-2007, 07:46 PM
Press: "Why are you here all the way from Cheyenne?"

RP Supporter: "We're just here to support Iowans."

RP Supporter: Iowans have been a bit disenfranchised with this particular event in that Dr. Paul was not included...he's the strongest tax reform advocate among the entire field of candidates." So we wanted to make our own event, invite Ron Paul and make sure that no "special interest" gets in the way of fair and open political discussion"

Thoughts on this?
Is this close to the tone/attitude we should have going into this?

Zydeco? Others?

Best I've heard all day. Everyone should adopt this strategy.

rich34
06-23-2007, 08:01 PM
I don't think Dean finishing third had as much to do with his out of state supporters as it did John Kerry and John Edwards supporters teaming up and selecting John Kerry. The Caucus polls is different than just simply going in and voting. That's why Dean lost Iowa because he was tag teamed.

rich34
06-23-2007, 08:02 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't think Dean finishing third had as much to do with his out of state supporters as it did John Kerry and John Edwards supporters teaming up and selecting John Kerry. The Caucus polls is different than just simply going in and voting. That's why Dean lost Iowa because he was tag teamed.

Zydeco
06-23-2007, 08:02 PM
Zydeco....

Are you suggesting that we should shut down the plan to go to Iowa?

Well, which do you think would be better: 500 all Iowans, or 500 Iowans + 4,500 out of staters?

Frankly I don't think RP should even go. It's BS and Ed Failor, Jr. is a grade A sleazeball pol, but if you're not invited and you go anyway you look desperate, and the MSM will surely write it that way.

If it's set in stone and RP is going, at least have it be all Iowans. It's an Iowa event. I find it silly and archaic that one state gets such an oversized voice in picking nominees and I hope this is the last election where that happens, but still, this is an IOWA event co-sponsored by the Iowa Christian Alliance and Iowans for Tax Relief. Everyone inside will be proudly Iowan. 500 Iowans standing outside they'd listen to. 5,000 Minnesotans, Kansans and Floridians are going to be resented.

Why do I hate Ron Paul? Why do I need a free lunch?

CurtisLow
06-23-2007, 08:06 PM

I see 90% of your posts are negative...?
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/search.php?searchid=23420

Is your name Ed Failor? :rolleyes:

STFU

Original_Intent
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jw4OJ3u9QUs

Thanks Rachel for saying what needed saying.

Texan4Life
Who here can tell the difference between Iowans and out of staters? I know I can't.

Zydeco
06-23-2007, 08:10 PM
1. More people at a rally is always better than fewer people. We should be encouraging attendance, not discouraging it, no matter where people come from.

This is usually the case, but Iowa is an exception. Thousands of Dean volunteers probably wound up turning off more Iowa voters than they inspired, Dean finished a distant 3rd.

As I already stated I don't think it's fair that one state (always the same one) gets such an outsized voice in choosing the party nominee, but this is an Iowa event.

Here's also why I think RP shouldn't go: the campaign is running fine and there's no need to roll the dice like this. Ron's voice will not be silenced, we all know he's going to announce a few million dollars (or more) in donations in a couple of weeks and he doesn't spend much so he's in for the long haul. There's no need to seem semi-desperate to get heard like this, we have 200+ days before the Iowa Caucus and plenty of time. The Des Moines debate is August 5th and there are five more after that. The people of Iowa will all know who RP is by the time the caucus rolls around.

This event may turn out OK, but there's a significant chance it will backfire, one media-manufactured "Dean Scream" is all it takes to stick people with a "crazy" image and as I said the organization seems haphazard so far. There is just no need to roll the dice here, we weren't invited so we shouldn't go.

Again, if RP must go b/c it's been announced, I'd advise that we have it be mostly or all Iowans, even if it's a smaller event. I think that's better, we don't have to rush getting the message out, there is lots of time.

I hate Ron Paul, free hot dogs, dissent, and America!

dmitchell
06-23-2007, 08:10 PM
Hello everyone, first-time poster here from Austin, Texas. I'm a little perplexed by the infighting. Let's take a moment to remember how we got here.

Q: What is the forum, and why do we care?
A: The Iowa forum is a platform for candidates to speak to political activists in Iowa. Making a good impression will help in the upcoming Iowa straw poll and caucuses.

Q: Why are we angry that Ron Paul wasn't invited?
A: Because he won't have a chance to speak to the activists.

Q: Then what should be our objective?
A: Getting Ron Paul and the activists together in a room where Ron can do his thing and win some of them over.

Protesting Failor and demonstrating Ron's national support is seconday; the primary thing is giving Ron a chance to talk to these people in Iowa. This is a great opportunity because we get to use Failor's efforts against him: all the work he does getting people to the forum is work we don't have to do. The more Iowans Failor gets to show up, the more Iowans will hear from Ron Paul.

Our job is to convince people to stick around long enough to hear Ron speak, and that's where the free food and drink comes in. Essentially we want to hold a kind of post-forum party with Ron Paul as the guest of honor. Crashing the event with protests or crowding out all the Iowans is going to be seriously counter-productive. We need to show a little discretion and not get up in everyone's face about Ed Failor--everyone already knows what he did, it's been in Iowa newspapers and all over the internet.

literatim
06-23-2007, 08:11 PM
Well, which do you think would be better: 500 all Iowans, or 500 Iowans + 4,500 out of staters?

Frankly I don't think RP should even go. It's BS and Ed Failor, Jr. is a grade A sleazeball pol, but if you're not invited and you go anyway you look desperate, and the MSM will surely write it that way.

If it's set in stone and RP is going, at least have it be all Iowans. It's an Iowa event. I find it silly and archaic that one state gets such an oversized voice in picking nominees and I hope this is the last election where that happens, but still, this is an IOWA event co-sponsored by the Iowa Christian Alliance and Iowans for Tax Relief. Everyone inside will be proudly Iowan. 500 Iowans standing outside they'd listen to. 5,000 Minnesotans, Kansans and Floridians are going to be resented.

What is with the ridiculously inflated number? There will never bee 5,000 out of staters going to Iowa. Seriously, just quit making up numbers.

Zydeco
06-23-2007, 08:12 PM
Who here can tell the difference between Iowans and out of staters? I know I can't.

Reporters who ask questions and are not inclined to view RP favorably. And then they write stories about it.

Zydeco
06-23-2007, 08:14 PM
I don't know how many people will show up, my point is only that IMO one Iowan is worth a hundred out of staters. Iowans are all that matters for this.

DavyDuke17
06-23-2007, 08:21 PM
I understand the complaints by Zydeco and Noodles, but they are flawed...

First, it isn't possible to look at a crowd of supporters and know where they are from.

Second, they are just going to be there for one weekend. Its not like they are setting up shop and taking the state over like the Deaniacs.

Third, the media knows that Americans aren't in favor of censorship. That is why blocking Paul and even Gravel from debates didn't work. I know people that signed petitions to keep them in the debates without even knowing much about the candidates, but on the principle that we should be able to hear from all voices. If they do cover Paul's rally, it will not be to pile on a candidate who has already been declined from a debate, but rather to show a politician and a large number of supporters challenging the system of selecting candidates.

Noodles
06-23-2007, 08:30 PM
Thanks for responding, but if you'll check, I never advocated staying away from Iowa. In fact, my brother and I are still planning to attempt the close to 20 hour drive. Sure, I was very upset about certain things earlier, but my post about "Why should we come to Iowa?", was aimed at HeWhoMustNotBeNamed after being told in a polite way that we wouldn't be hearing Dr. Paul speak, wouldn't have food provided, wouldn't be allowed in the building until afterward, etc. I meant to direct my objections strictly towards the tone HeWhoMustNotBeNamed was using toward us non-Iowans (and non-Chicagoans), but I lost my cool and did not convey my feelings in the most precise manner. I stand by my assertions that this poser is dangerous to the effort, but if everyone else is okay with it, I can be a team player.

With each passing day, I feel that we are a little closer to pulling this off. I guess we can expect a few leeches who are in it for personal gain, and if it helps Dr. Paul get elected, then more power to them. I'm only going to fight for one thing, and that's victory.

Bradley in DC
06-23-2007, 08:38 PM
I lost my cool and did not convey my feelings in the most precise manner. I stand by my assertions that this poser is dangerous to the effort, but if everyone else is okay with it, I can be a team player.

With each passing day, I feel that we are a little closer to pulling this off. I guess we can expect a few leeches who are in it for personal gain, and if it helps Dr. Paul get elected, then more power to them. I'm only going to fight for one thing, and that's victory.

Welcome to the team, Noodles.

Our biggest problem right now is name identification and getting the message out. The more people that can help with that (going to Iowa, letters to the editor, YouTube videos, calling radio shows, calling Iowa voters via Jason Stoddard's initiative, e/mailing DVDs, etc.) are all crucial at this stage.

ADGettis
06-23-2007, 08:42 PM

Have you forgotten that every bit of bad press RP has gotten has only increased his support? The rules of politics don't seem to apply to Dr. Paul because people are used to the slime, but not to the message, and most people who hear his message are instantly won over.

Why don't we show up with the simple goal of holding an informative and fun event, and trust the message do the work it has always done?

Anarchist
06-23-2007, 08:45 PM
See: Ron Paul Republicans organize to get Ron the nomination in Iowa, Thread

Iowa event June 30

takadi
06-23-2007, 08:47 PM
Remember guys, one of the things that ruined Dean's campaign was that Iowans complained that they were too aggressive and pushy, as if they were trying to force his positions down their throats. This is one thing we gotta hold back on that day. Iowans are well aware of their importance as a state in the primaries. If they see a bunch of out of state intruders going crazy, they will definitely not be pleased.

Pretend you're at a job interview, even a wedding! Primary voters are older in Iowa, so they don't want to see a rowdy youth trampling all over them. Remember, be polite, nice, and explain your views QUIETLY. Let's make sure we don't scare them away. This is very very important for Dr. Paul

Bryan in Iowa
06-23-2007, 08:53 PM

Brillllllllliant!!! :D

DavyDuke17
06-23-2007, 09:01 PM
I posted this in another thread, but I'd like to hear what exactly all the out of state supporters have planned in terms of a schedule because if there is as many going as I hear then they could give a real push to the campaign if they use their time there effectively.

I don't know how much of this has been planned.. but I think that there needs to be a plan before hand on what all the out-of-state supporters are going to do for the day, because I think they can do better things than actually attend the forum and listen to the other candidates. Now I have never been to Iowa, ran a campaign, ect. so there is absolutely no reason why anyone should listen to me.. but I am going to give my recommendation anyways on how I think you can have the biggest impact.

In the morning, rally outside the forum and meet Iowans as they head in to the forum and tell them about Ron Paul and the free food after it is over at 5 and pass out brochures. That way more Iowans can plan on staying for Paul instead of finding out about it at the last minute and they can read the brochure while they are bored to death by Tommy Thompson.

During the forum I think it would be best for the Ron Paul crowd to hit the streets and canvas the area by visiting houses, rallying at busy intersections and what not. Maybe the Iowa Ron Paul supporters can help them out by directing them through the town.

Then once the forum is drawing to an end go back and hold a rally outside the hall so they can once again see all the Paul supporters and also remind/urge people that are leaving that they can see the Dr. and get free food. Once Paul finishes up with the speech they open the hall up to all the supporters for a huge party to cap off the wonderful day and inspire all the new converts. The faithful Paul supporters can get there chance to meet the guy they've spent all day campaigning for.

I really wish I could go, but I live in New York and am only a poor college student.

CJLauderdale4
06-23-2007, 09:09 PM

Here, here!!

Hey, we need to get Rachel to be the face of the Ron Paul campaign. Get her some scripts to read, and more of those tight-fitted Ron Paul T's to wear, and we've got all of the NASCAR and American Idol crowd on board in no time!!

She would be perfect for the "I am Ron Paul!" video campaign. We have 2-3 second snippets of people across America looking into the camera and saying, "I am Ron Paul!" We would conclude with Rachel giving a scripted plug and finishing with a sexy version of "I am Ron Paul!"

mesler
06-23-2007, 09:19 PM
I think this is a great idea.

Read the title of this event:

"In Iowa: Ron Paul to Celebrate Life and Liberty"

It happens to be in Iowa, in response to his exclusion. The more Iowans, the better, but the more people who show up, the more press it will generate, and the more of a jerk these guys who excluded him will look like.

Great idea, and I'll be donating money to my local meetup so they can go up there. I'd go myself, but I'll be leaving for vacation next Friday. :(

wizardwatson
06-23-2007, 09:19 PM
I'm David, Topeka Meetup coordinator.

I'm also the one who's selling 1000 stickers for $125 on Ebay. We all know Tom's (RonPaulStickers) is selling them for about the same price but his suck! Just kidding Tom you're doing great work.

Anyway, I'm also the only one who has the cheapest yard/rally signs available on the net. Well I got a call last night from some people who helped organize the KC rally on the 15th and some guy who was working on putting the Iowa deal together. So I've pulled my listings and will bring all the stock of yard/rally signs I have to Iowa with me, and sell them on the cheap the same way I did in KC.

$2.50 for yard sign with stand, $2 for rally sign with stick. Bumper stickers will be different though, 200 for $25. I'm not going to do the 5 for a $1 deal like I was because it takes too long to count out small amounts for everyone.

Right now I only have 200 rally and about 800 yard signs, but I'm going to get on the horn with the printer and see if I can't rush order as many as they can produce by Saturday.

I'd love to just give them away but A. Campaign finance laws prohibit me from giving away more than $2300 worth of crap, and B. I'm too poor to do that anyway.

If you want to see what they look like go to my bumper sticker listing on Ebay (we are ATAGSales, the cool looking ones :D ).

If you need to contact me directly I can be reached at

wizardwatson at g mail dot com.

TTFN

Bryan in Iowa
06-23-2007, 09:21 PM
I don't know how much of this has been planned.. but I think that there needs to be a plan before hand on what all the out-of-state supporters are going to do for the day, because I think they can do better things than actually attend the forum and listen to the other candidates. Now I have never been to Iowa, ran a campaign, ect. so there is absolutely no reason why anyone should listen to me.. but I am going to give my recommendation anyways on how I think you can have the biggest impact.

In the morning, rally outside the forum and meet Iowans as they head in to the forum and tell them about Ron Paul and the free food after it is over at 5 and pass out brochures. That way more Iowans can plan on staying for Paul instead of finding out about it at the last minute and they can read the brochure while they are bored to death by Tommy Thompson.

During the forum I think it would be best for the Ron Paul crowd to hit the streets and canvas the area by visiting houses, rallying at busy intersections and what not. Maybe the Iowa Ron Paul supporters can help them out by directing them through the town.

Then once the forum is drawing to an end go back and hold a rally outside the hall so they can once again see all the Paul supporters and also remind/urge people that are leaving that they can see the Dr. and get free food. Once Paul finishes up with the speech they open the hall up to all the supporters for a huge party to cap off the wonderful day and inspire all the new converts. The faithful Paul supporters can get there chance to meet the guy they've spent all day campaigning for.

I really wish I could go, but I live in New York and am only a poor college student.

Some great ideas here...thanks for the input. On Saturday I will be working at the Des Moines Arts Festival, it is one of the largest in the nation and will be attended by several thousand Iowa residents. I don't know what the rule is for handing out political literature, but it should be ok....it's a free country, right? The Arts Festival is on the west side of downtown, Hy-Vee Hall is on the east side. Des Moines is not huge...so a fairly medium walk (approx 1 mile) will avail you to both events. Unfortunately since I am a volunteer chariperson with the festival, I will not be able to attend the rally. You have no idea how disappointing this is.

A few comments about Iowans not liking out-of-towners. This is not accurate. Iowans appreciate gaining information, no matter where it comes from, or who provides it. What Iowans don't like are rude and arrogant personalities (I was totally amazed GWB carried the state in '04). I understand the angst potential visitor participants express at not being able to see or hear Ron Paul speak, and I have communicated this to the Iowa Coordinator Joe Seehusen. I traveled to Kansas City to see and hear Dr. Paul and would not have been pleased if it turned out to be exclusive to Missourians.

Ron Paul understands his grassroots effort is the most important asset to his campaign, and I'm sure he will not let you down.

wizardwatson
06-23-2007, 09:22 PM
Should have mentioned, as I told one of the organizers that called me that mostly I just have yard signs. But they are bigger and you can just hold them up with your hand (this is how Obama supporters do it, apparently passing out sticks is too hard for them), store the stand in your vehicle, then after the rally go home and put the sign in your yard.

All for about the cost of 12 oz latte'

Bryan in Iowa
06-23-2007, 09:26 PM
I'm David, Topeka Meetup coordinator.

Anyway, I'm also the only one who has the cheapest yard/rally signs available on the net. Well I got a call last night from some people who helped organize the KC rally on the 15th and some guy who was working on putting the Iowa deal together. So I've pulled my listings and will bring all the stock of yard/rally signs I have to Iowa with me, and sell them on the cheap the same way I did in KC.

Hey David! Good to hear you'll be here! I bought a yard sign, a sign, and bumper stickers from you in KC! The yard sign is placed proudly in my yard :D

BravoSix
06-23-2007, 09:28 PM
David-

I'll be looking to buy some stuff from ya, so bring plenty. :D

pennycat
06-23-2007, 09:52 PM
Don't know all the players, but my vote is for JOHN! Being a meetup organizer myself, I have great sympathy for ANYONE who trys to organize anything. Negative people must make an OVERWHELMING case before I'd give them the time of day. Stay positive folks. We're going all the way!

Nick

P.S. Where's the spell check?

angelatc
06-23-2007, 10:03 PM
I posted this in another thread, but I'd like to hear what exactly all the out of state supporters have planned in terms of a schedule because <clip> I think they can do better things than actually attend the forum and listen to the other candidates.

I think they should go listen to the other candidates, then when the exiting crowd is asked "Who won?" they can all answer "Ron Paul."

Just think about seeing Failor's head explode.

MsDoodahs
06-23-2007, 10:10 PM
Will there be any question/answer interchange with the audience? If so, there might be some opportunity there not to necessarily bring up Ron's name, but...

Okay, if the RP folks can hand out some literature pre-event that stresses Dr. Paul's voting record on tax increasing legislation, then perhaps some of the supporters in the audience could ask specific questions about the participant's own records?

Sort of a way to plant questions into the minds of the Iowans present...pique their curiosity re: Dr. Paul.

Just a thought...

WannaBfree
06-23-2007, 10:28 PM
Will there be any question/answer interchange with the audience? If so, there might be some opportunity there not to necessarily bring up Ron's name, but...

Okay, if the RP folks can hand out some literature pre-event that stresses Dr. Paul's voting record on tax increasing legislation, then perhaps some of the supporters in the audience could ask specific questions about the participant's own records?

Sort of a way to plant questions into the minds of the Iowans present...pique their curiosity re: Dr. Paul.

Just a thought...

I think that's a great idea! And some people might not know RP is not attending and question why he's not there.

RedStripe
06-23-2007, 10:34 PM
Even if there are a lot of "out-of-staters" it will at least show that Ron Paul has a good grassroots system at worst.

At best it will illustrate his national presence and will be considered justified due to his absurd exclusion from the forum.

rp4pres
06-23-2007, 10:55 PM
Dammit, I need a ride. Anyone from Louisville, KY area going?????

goldenequity
06-23-2007, 11:05 PM
moved post

Original_Intent
06-23-2007, 11:07 PM
I think you mean "seeds of discord" but aside from that, good point.:)

LibertyEagle
06-23-2007, 11:08 PM
Makes me wonder whether we should keep sharing specific battle plans for something like this on a public message board. :confused:

goldenequity
06-23-2007, 11:12 PM
Any suggestions on where/how to post
such concerns?

militant
06-23-2007, 11:13 PM
Have you forgotten that every bit of bad press RP has gotten has only increased his support? The rules of politics don't seem to apply to Dr. Paul because people are used to the slime, but not to the message, and most people who hear his message are instantly won over.

Why don't we show up with the simple goal of holding an informative and fun event, and trust the message do the work it has always done?

Brilliant. Really. All we have to do is behave ourselves, give one hell of a show of support, and let Dr. Paul and the message of liberty do the rest. This *cannot* come out badly, if we do that. I'm personally ecstatic.

goldenequity
06-23-2007, 11:20 PM
Liberty Eagle,

You read the essence of my post.
We basically need all supporters to bring video cameras.
Borrow them if you have to.....but bring them and "document"
the event.

That's all that needs to be said.
And it should be proclaimed from the rooftops to all attendees.

nuff said. :) :) :cool:

Andrew76
06-24-2007, 12:26 AM
Keep your cool, .... keep your cool, keep your cool. No, serioulsy, keep your cool. Remind yourselves, are we on this mesg. board for flame wars, or to further the cause of Ron Paul getting elected? I know, know, ... people write crazy stuff, and we feel it must be adressed. However, these two facts remain: One, that the important thing in the short term is that Iowans get a full dose of Dr. Ron Paul with this forum/rally thing happening. Whatever we can do to attract the average Iowan, be it free food or whatever, we need to do it.
Two, for better or worse, the msm will likely put a lot of emphasis on the Iowa straw poll, and it'd be great if RP had a strong showing. On this, we all can agree. This really is about Iowa, and as a man who was born in Des Moines, and has a lot family from Iowa, I can truly feel the sentiment of ... "why Iowa of all goddamn places..??" But tough, there it is. It has been decreed: Iowa shall be important. Let's do what we can to give Ron a strong showing, and that's that! No need to complicate it further. Again, ...eyes on the prize people.
If anyone else wants to come to Iowa for the rally, well hell, the more the merrier. Just keep in mind what the rally is for, getting Ron Paul some positive attention in the Iowa straw poll, so he can get elected like we all know he should be. :)

LibertyEagle
06-24-2007, 12:46 AM
Any suggestions on where/how to post
such concerns?

I wasn't concerned about what you said. It just got me to thinking about us laying out exactly what our plans are so anyone and everyone could see. IF someone wanted to cause us problems, they'd know right where to go.

There's probably no way to stop it. I was just wondering if we should make it quite so easy is all.

It's probably too late for this event, but we may want to keep it at the back of our mind on the next one.

LibertyEagle
06-24-2007, 12:48 AM
Andrew,

I'm not seeing where anyone was NOT cool.

Zydeco
06-24-2007, 02:02 AM
Remember guys, one of the things that ruined Dean's campaign was that Iowans complained that they were too aggressive and pushy, as if they were trying to force his positions down their throats. This is one thing we gotta hold back on that day. Iowans are well aware of their importance as a state in the primaries. If they see a bunch of out of state intruders going crazy, they will definitely not be pleased.

Pretend you're at a job interview, even a wedding! Primary voters are older in Iowa, so they don't want to see a rowdy youth trampling all over them. Remember, be polite, nice, and explain your views QUIETLY. Let's make sure we don't scare them away. This is very very important for Dr. Paul

Hear, hear!

nayjevin
06-24-2007, 02:37 AM
Remember, be polite, nice, and explain your views QUIETLY.

I agree with this whole post except the above excerpt. Face it folks, your views are irrelevant -- leave them out of the conversation entirely. All that matters is Ron Paul's views. There are a few minor issues that I'm not totally sure I agree with about Paul -- but he's smarter and more knowledgeable than me. His job is to research these things. Leave the expertise of explaining the issues to him.

The campaign needs 2 things:

Name recognition

People need to know he exists. If they look into candidates, they will have him on his mind. MSM will not help here. So cram his name down their throats one time, give them literature, and be on with it.

Exposure of RP

You have far less chance to convince somebody RP is the man than he does himself. Direct them to youtube, direct them to ronpaullibrary.com -- let them decide for themselves. If they are able to think, they will vote for Ron Paul.

The people must realize he is not a fringe candidate

Just by getting out there and telling people -- 1 time -- that you support Ron Paul -- gets this message out. People by and large are not very independent thinkers. Most will not support someone who will put them on the 'fringe' among those they talk to. But the more they hear people support him, the more comfortable they will be in considering it for themselves.

-----------

We are a street team. We cannot offer celebrity status, or political standing, to endorse Paul. All we can do is say that we support him, and that others should look into him.

DO NOT TRY TO CONVINCE PEOPLE THAT THEY SHOULD VOTE FOR HIM

just tell them the primaries are very important, they may have to register, etc, and that THAT'S WHAT YOU ARE DOING TO VOTE FOR RON PAUL.

Most people will not be convinced by your words. They very well may be affected by the simple knowledge that YOU support him. So make yourself likeable, friendly, and inform them he exists. Convince them to look him up, and make up their own minds. Accepting Ron's message comes from hearing Ron, not from hearing you.

----------------------

what I have learned while passing out flyers on my own is that simple works best. I went through the trial and error period and made many mistakes -- the main one being I would TALK TOO MUCH. my buddy suggested, and I have settled on holding the flyer in front of them until they grab it, while saying nothing, or maybe just "Hi guys". Their instinct is to grab it. The longer you are silent, the more likely they are to grab it, if they haven't already. Then, in defense of a possible awkward silence, they start reading.

If I try to explain why they should grab the flyer from my hand, they are much more likely to defend themselves against my argument -- a simple 'no thanks' and they are out of the situation. The silent way, it is easier to grab the thing than to figure out something to say.

The foundation of this approach is that most know politicians are bullshit, and most strangers who approach want something in return. That's why they resist.

So after they grab the flier, and are looking at it, I say something simple like

"I've never been excited about a politician before -- but this guy is awesome."

or, if I feel I have them profiled correctly,

"Decriminilization. No Police State. Bring the Troops home. Restore the constitution."

or

"I hate politics because I hate politicians -- but this guy is different"

or a particularly good one, cause it lightens people up some --

"You probably don't believe in the Constitution, but if you do, this here is the guy"

or

"he's not so much a politician as a wise grandpa for our country"
-----------

sometimes they will ask questions back, and at this point it is VERY IMPORTANT TO HAVE DONE YOUR RESEARCH.

http://www.ronpaullibrary.com
http://www.ronpaul2008.com

if you can't answer these questions succinctly and accurately, you have reading to do:

What is RP's stance on:
Abortion
Gun Rights
Church & State
Christianity
Foreign Policy
State's Rights
Health Care
Taxes

& maybe most importantly,

How do you get rid of a bunch of federal programs and bring the troops home? Won't the country collapse?

if you are lucky enough to get someone interested enough to ask questions like this, your answer may be the difference between them researching more, or deciding RP is no good.

In all situations that I have found -- Keep It Simple Stupid

I answer a great many questions this way:

Health care / gay marriage etc is not addressed by the Constitution. The Constitution explicitly states that what is not addressed by the Constitution is left to the states. Then you are free to live wherever those specifics best align with you.

--------

At least half of the RP supporters I know were convinced through RP's speeches. Therefore, the most effective campaigning strategy is to get RP videos to the people.

Ron Paul TV
http://freeme.tv
Ron Paul's YouTube channel
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=ronpaul2008dotcom
Download and burn a CD to hand to people (doesn't even require internet for them to watch it)
http://rpmedia.dreamhosters.com/Exponent/

------------------

ALSO REMEMBER:
Spend your time wisely. People who resist the message are an uphill battle. There are enough people in this country who are fed up and will gobble Ron Paul up as soon as they learn his true nature. We don't have to convince the Hannity-heads to come to our side -- it's a lost cause. Luckily the numbers of those people are dwindling.

Kindle the fire, and let it burn on it's own. Don't try to stay with one person, tending their fire, while you could be starting others that blaze by themselves.

Our biggest obstacle is NAME RECOGNITION and for the fed up to realize he's NOT JUST ANOTHER POLITICIAN -- he's EXACTLY WHAT WE'VE BEEN WAITING FOR!!

The Dane
06-24-2007, 03:45 AM
:eek: nayjevin

That is the most brilliant important post i ever saw on this forum.

edit:
Admins: why not make a seperate thread with this and make it sticky? Then also other can post their experience and guidance in the same thread. called something like: "general guidelines for spreading the word" or "practical experiences for meetup group use"

2 edit: already found it in another thread. make that sticky!!!

damijin
06-24-2007, 04:00 AM
Indeed very nice post, I hope all will heed the wisdom of his experience.

Man from La Mancha
06-24-2007, 04:11 AM
I couldn't agree more, would make a good thread. Maybe it would generate more real life experiences of what works for other people. Then make it a sticky.

denvervoipguru
06-24-2007, 07:35 AM
ALSO REMEMBER:
Spend your time wisely. People who resist the message are an uphill battle. There are enough people in this country who are fed up and will gobble Ron Paul up as soon as they learn his true nature. We don't have to convince the Hannity-heads ...

Excellent post Nay!!

Man,

This could be a Sticky!

EvoPro
06-25-2007, 09:59 AM
Yes nayjevin, brilliant post. Thank you for your insight.

Their instinct is to grab it. The longer you are silent, the more likely they are to grab it, if they haven't already. Then, in defense of a possible awkward silence, they start reading.

LMAO

Avalon
06-25-2007, 10:11 AM
Hey John, since the other thread is locked I'd like to ask you here. Can you tell us what activities you have planned for us out of staters Friday, Saturday, and Sunday (Monday and Tuesday would be good too) and what value you (and Joe) would ascribe to individual participating in these events. Many of us from far away need to know whether we should be jumping in the car or sending a check to the HQ instead but we cannot evaluate this value ourselves...especially if you don't even tell us what you'd like us to do!

Scribbler de Stebbing
06-25-2007, 11:10 AM
Avalon,

I'll just jump in with my thoughts. It's an easier decision for me as I'm only 4 hours away, but I'm going because I don't want to miss it. If it was going to cost the $500 figure someone threw out there, I might consider donating that instead. It's up to you how important it is for you to be there.

My decision is purely selfish. I want a free lunch, um, I mean I want to see Ron Paul, maybe get a pict with him, meet hundreds of other Ron Paul supporters, and be part of the general excitement. So do it if the cost to you is worth it. That's the best answer I've got. Maybe someone can do better.