PDA

View Full Version : NC Senate: You can't sell cars If you cut the middleman(Dealers) out, Tesla Motors.

aGameOfThrones
05-15-2013, 12:44 AM
Tesla Motors has become the belle of Wall Street over the past week after revealing its first quarterly profit and receiving the top score ever from Consumer Reports for the Tesla Model S electric luxury sedan. But those accomplishments haven't played well yet in North Carolina, where the state Senate unanimously passed a bill Monday night that would block Tesla's plan for selling its cars directly to consumers — forcing it to either steer clear of the entire state or use a franchised auto dealer like all other automakers.

The Republican-sponsored bill, which has the backing of the North Carolina Auto Dealers Association, mirrors fights in several other states by dealers who worry about the precedent set by Tesla — even though Tesla's own projected output of 20,000 vehicles a year is a rounding error on the 15 million new vehicles sold by U.S. dealers annually. Dealers in New York and Massachusetts have gone to court in attempts to block Tesla; in Texas, the automaker has been pushing its own bill that would loosen restrictions which limit its sales pitches to phone conversations.

Dealers contend automakers, especially a start-up like Tesla, aren't inclined to handle warranty repairs, service and other tasks that customers need close to home. For its part, Tesla has been lobbying North Carolina lawmakers for an exemption by arguing that blocking the company's plans hurts the state economy; it says it has sold nearly 100 Model S cars to state residents with deposits for 60 more, and plans more service centers beyond the one opened in Raleigh.

http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/auto-dealers-push-law-blocking-tesla-sales-north-194223800.html

Warrior_of_Freedom
05-15-2013, 12:46 AM
this is as stupid as new jersey making it required to have people pump gas for you.

phill4paul
05-15-2013, 01:46 AM
Yeah, go N.C. I've about had it with this state. I owe $30 to Gunny but then truthfully I'm done. I lived forever under the Dems and thought there might be a ray of hope when the Reps took over. It's like as soon as they moved in they took a line of coke and said say hello to my little friend. Fuck me for thinking it wouldn't be as bad or worse.

luctor-et-emergo
05-15-2013, 01:49 AM
I hope Tesla refuses to sell their cars in NC.
Let them grow their business the way they want, consumers will benefit.

By the way, for as far as I know electric cars need way less maintenance than conventional cars..

Schifference
05-15-2013, 04:50 AM
They will then legislate that Tesla cars are illegal in NC and you cannot own one purchased elsewhere. You will not be allowed to move to NC and bring your Tesla auto with you.

Matt Collins
05-15-2013, 04:53 AM
http://bastiat.org/en/petition.html

Warlord
05-15-2013, 05:09 AM
Everyone wants a piece of the pie.

idiom
05-15-2013, 05:30 AM
The more I learn on this forum the more I learn how alien free markets are to America.

Starting to think freedom has less and less to do with explaining America's success.

jmdrake
05-15-2013, 05:35 AM
I hope Tesla refuses to sell their cars in NC.
Let them grow their business the way they want, consumers will benefit.

By the way, for as far as I know electric cars need way less maintenance than conventional cars..

That would be correct. Besides, who goes to the dealer for repairs anyway? And if going to the dealer for repairs is such an important thing, won't consumers choose to buy from dealers anyway?

Icymudpuppy
05-15-2013, 07:12 AM
Yeah, go N.C. I've about had it with this state. I owe $30 to Gunny but then truthfully I'm done. I lived forever under the Dems and thought there might be a ray of hope when the Reps took over. It's like as soon as they moved in they took a line of coke and said say hello to my little friend. Fuck me for thinking it wouldn't be as bad or worse.

You could join me in WA.. We have legal pot, and 5 nudist colonies.

osan
05-15-2013, 07:38 AM
this is as stupid as new jersey making it required to have people pump gas for you.

Oh, it's far and away worse. It's like unionism for car dealerships.

What a fucking NAZI nightmare this nation is so very rapidly becoming.

Yo Gunny - where do you stand on this? I think I know, but would like to hear it from the man.

The synchronous psychological environment of the world as a whole is uber-poisoned. The human race, at least significant subsets of it, has gone raving mad. A hard reset becomes ever more necessary as each new lunatic development surfaces.

osan
05-15-2013, 07:43 AM
You could join me in WA.. We have legal pot, and 5 nudist colonies.

D00d, WA is just another political shit hole. I spent years in Vancouver and worked in Seattle. Commute sucked. :)

Seriously, their gun laws are SHYTE and I could give a damn about dope. I don't care if it's an issue for others, more power to them, but the fact is that WA is a VERY heavy handed state in terms of certain political issues. I think in some ways it is one of the worst. I loved living there, but was not blind to the bullshit that runs amok. My years in PDX were the same - like a toned down version of CA. One thing where WV shines is that if you want to be left alone, you can be. Bullshit here, too, but a lot less than in WA.

The disease is nationwide and while some states are clearly superior to others, none of them are that great in absolute terms. Not a one comes close to cutting the mustard with me. That, my pals, is a very sad statement of fact.

Icymudpuppy
05-15-2013, 07:53 AM
I was making a Joke, Osan. Regarding another thread that Phill and I both commented in about Rand calling libertarians Nudist Potheads.

osan
05-15-2013, 09:30 AM
I was making a Joke, Osan. Regarding another thread that Phill and I both commented in about Rand calling libertarians Nudist Potheads.

Ah... missed the tone. Pardon my lapse into lamity.

GunnyFreedom
05-15-2013, 09:41 AM
Oh, it's far and away worse. It's like unionism for car dealerships.

What a fucking NAZI nightmare this nation is so very rapidly becoming.

Yo Gunny - where do you stand on this? I think I know, but would like to hear it from the man.

The synchronous psychological environment of the world as a whole is uber-poisoned. The human race, at least significant subsets of it, has gone raving mad. A hard reset becomes ever more necessary as each new lunatic development surfaces.

I think this bill is about as rational as that Amy woman that was just on Kitchen Nightmares from Amy's Baking Company. Did you know that she is heavily active in the AZ GOP? Wonder if that explains McCain...

And just for the record, the NC GOP has brought Karl Rove into NC to skulk around the last month or so all the way through June...specifically to make sure I don't take this election. That's right, they brought Karl Rove in to stop us because we were just doing too well. SMH.

Turns out that Rove was behind the selection of this new candidate, along with securing her Cobyite endorsement, although I don't think she even knows it. It's all about preserving the status quo. And they think I'm the crazy one. SMDH.

The NCGOP has an opportunity in 2014 like we've never had before, but they are burning it like a madman who just wants to see the world burn. Every act of lunacy the NCGOP is further alienating the Millennial Generation and handing the future to the liberal progressives. At this point it's starting to look like a serious mental illness. The status quo is killing us, so the solution is clearly to double down on the status quo. They are killing the Republican Party and alienating upwards of 70% of all voters ages 18-34 and they seem to think that is a winning strategy. Like Ron Paul said, a politician looks to the next election, but a statesman looks to the next generation.

With Karl Rove being brought in specifically to stop me, what was once a sure thing is looking awfully dim. What they don't grasp is they are not stopping me, they are committing party suicide. I've given up my life and lived at a fraction of the poverty level for this mess. Up until 3 weeks ago, this election was the next best thing to a sure thing. We had broad support amongst all the factions. Now Rove is here and there is nothing but division across the entire party. And these people don't see it, don't get it, or don't care. I burned through everything I owned and every penny I had, for what? For these people to all the more vehemently reject the truth that we must restore the Constitution or America dies?

I'm going to be 40 years old this year, and because I've done nothing but politics for the last 5 years I've been living on the charity of my mother, who herself is not far removed from the poverty level. All the while rich fatcats lounge around and plot their own self-enrichment at the expense of the destruction of our nation.

Sometimes it's hard to keep pressing on. But I will, because as Calvin Coolidge said, persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. I will press on not because I can, but because I must.

The bill in question, SB 327 (http://www.ncleg.net/gascripts/BillLookUp/BillLookUp.pl?Session=2013&BillID=S327) ( http://www.ncleg.net/gascripts/BillLookUp/BillLookUp.pl?Session=2013&BillID=S327 ) is a terrible bill. I'm not sure that it does exactly what the News and Observer claims that it does (the N&O lies like you and I breathe), but it's a horrible bill for a dozen reasons and should never have passed a committee.

HOLLYWOOD
05-15-2013, 09:42 AM
Republican-sponsored bill, which has the backing of the North Carolina Auto Dealers Association, mirrors fights in several other states by dealersSpecial Self Interest again... let me pull a fact out of my chocolate whizbang, campaign donations to the politicians writing the bill? I won't even bother researching it up.

ravedown
05-15-2013, 09:52 AM
my neighbor has a tesla s in his driveway right now...damn it's a nice looking ride.
also- this bill is just another piece of outdated legislation grasping at the old world crony way of doing business...just like health insurance, the middle man can only survive through favors from the state.

vita3
05-15-2013, 10:04 AM
How is Rove still breathing?

True Republican party would flourish without him

Brian4Liberty
05-15-2013, 12:15 PM

That's a reason why hybrids were pushed! More money in repairs and maintenance.

Brian4Liberty
05-15-2013, 12:17 PM
Dealers contend automakers, especially a start-up like Tesla, aren't inclined to handle warranty repairs, service and other tasks that customers need close to home.

The great American automotive business model. American cars didn't become crappy by accident. The business model was that dealers would make most of their money on repairs and maintenance after the sale.

idiom
05-15-2013, 06:52 PM
I can't think of a single industry that has anything like this in New Zealand...

aGameOfThrones
05-15-2013, 07:23 PM
I think this bill is about as rational as that Amy woman that was just on Kitchen Nightmares from Amy's Baking Company. Did you know that she is heavily active in the AZ GOP? Wonder if that explains McCain...

And just for the record, the NC GOP has brought Karl Rove into NC to skulk around the last month or so all the way through June...specifically to make sure I don't take this election. That's right, they brought Karl Rove in to stop us because we were just doing too well. SMH.

Turns out that Rove was behind the selection of this new candidate, along with securing her Cobyite endorsement, although I don't think she even knows it. It's all about preserving the status quo. And they think I'm the crazy one. SMDH.

The NCGOP has an opportunity in 2014 like we've never had before, but they are burning it like a madman who just wants to see the world burn. Every act of lunacy the NCGOP is further alienating the Millennial Generation and handing the future to the liberal progressives. At this point it's starting to look like a serious mental illness. The status quo is killing us, so the solution is clearly to double down on the status quo. They are killing the Republican Party and alienating upwards of 70% of all voters ages 18-34 and they seem to think that is a winning strategy. Like Ron Paul said, a politician looks to the next election, but a statesman looks to the next generation.

With Karl Rove being brought in specifically to stop me, what was once a sure thing is looking awfully dim. What they don't grasp is they are not stopping me, they are committing party suicide. I've given up my life and lived at a fraction of the poverty level for this mess. Up until 3 weeks ago, this election was the next best thing to a sure thing. We had broad support amongst all the factions. Now Rove is here and there is nothing but division across the entire party. And these people don't see it, don't get it, or don't care. I burned through everything I owned and every penny I had, for what? For these people to all the more vehemently reject the truth that we must restore the Constitution or America dies?

I'm going to be 40 years old this year, and because I've done nothing but politics for the last 5 years I've been living on the charity of my mother, who herself is not far removed from the poverty level. All the while rich fatcats lounge around and plot their own self-enrichment at the expense of the destruction of our nation.

Sometimes it's hard to keep pressing on. But I will, because as Calvin Coolidge said, persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. I will press on not because I can, but because I must.

The bill in question, SB 327 (http://www.ncleg.net/gascripts/BillLookUp/BillLookUp.pl?Session=2013&BillID=S327) ( http://www.ncleg.net/gascripts/BillLookUp/BillLookUp.pl?Session=2013&BillID=S327 ) is a terrible bill. I'm not sure that it does exactly what the News and Observer claims that it does (the N&O lies like you and I breathe), but it's a horrible bill for a dozen reasons and should never have passed a committee.

That was fucking hilarious, sad and torture.

madengr
05-15-2013, 08:22 PM
Screw Karl Rove! Just donated $25 to Gunny.

vita3
05-17-2013, 06:49 AM
Gunny,

Can Dr.Paul make an apperance for you & maybe help you out with a fundraiser or something?

We need to WIN this one.