PDA

View Full Version : The Free State Solution (Fantastic New Documentary)

PeaceRequiresAnarchy
05-14-2013, 10:39 PM
This 20-minute documentary is the best introduction to the Free State Project I have seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_34jAsXe1k

Do you agree? I certainly wasn't expecting it to be as good as it was. Please share it far and wide.

I am going to ask my former AP US Government and Politics teacher in New Hampshire if he would play it for his class.

Keith and stuff
05-15-2013, 02:06 PM
A liberty Democrat that is reelected again and again? Only in New Hampshire.

Even better, that video features our man Jim Forsythe. Jim is awesome. I want him to run for office again someday.

PeaceRequiresAnarchy
05-15-2013, 09:52 PM
A liberty Democrat that is reelected again and again? Only in New Hampshire.
Even better, two Free Staters face off in an election: Anarchist Defeats Minarchist in New Hampshire Election (http://reason.com/blog/2012/11/19/anarchist-defeats-minarchist-in-new-hamp)

PeaceRequiresAnarchy
05-16-2013, 12:04 AM
Here is a great story from the June 2013 issue of Reason that provides similar coverage as the documentary in the OP:

The Free State Project Grows Up (http://reason.com/archives/2013/05/15/the-free-state-project-grows-up)

Bastiat's The Law
05-16-2013, 12:15 AM
I feel Forsythe's frustration.

IDefendThePlatform
05-16-2013, 08:40 AM
That was great. I liked stefan Molyneuxs analogy of the titanic and the iceberg.

PeaceRequiresAnarchy
05-19-2013, 02:04 PM
That was great. I liked stefan Molyneuxs analogy of the titanic and the iceberg.
I don't think the State will ever sink like the Titanic while having a libertarian President, but I think the truth to Molyneux's analogy is that if there is a libertarian in power calling to cut spending, etc, and something bad happens economically, the vast majority of people will blame the libertarian's policies of cutting spending, etc, regardless of whether or not that is the actual cause, and regardless of whether or not, given time to transition away from the state, a libertarian society would be more prosperous and peaceful than a society with a state.

Bastiat's The Law
05-19-2013, 04:45 PM
The economy could just as easily come out of its malaise and go like gang busters with a libertarian at the helm. The public could see that our ideas actually work and produce well-paying job opportunities. After 20 years of the middle class taking it on the chin (and much longer if you count the decline in the purchasing power of the dollar), I think people are ready to roll the dice with someone more libertarian-minded.

AlexAmore
05-19-2013, 05:27 PM
Great documentary. NH really is that gorgeous, both the nature and the towns.

BuddyRey
05-20-2013, 11:57 AM
Well worth the watch.

Seraphim
05-20-2013, 12:24 PM
At 2:45 of the video.

Sorens (The Founder of the FSP) is giving a press conference in NY a while back. He looks VERY, VERY young.

The world, it's businesses and policies are serious business. To make ground in said world you have to behave and look the part.

He is wearing a SUIT.

Capiche?? (This came up in the Ambercrombie thread!)

It makes a difference folks!

Usually being that young has a lot of headwind involved. Not necessarily so when you know what you're doing, speak well about it and lead as required.

If evaluating in an objective manner, the FSP, thus far....it has been a BIG success.

It has so much further to go, but the early stages thus far have gone well.

CONGRATZ !! to all those taking part in the FSP.

Keep up the good work.

Keith and stuff
05-20-2013, 12:50 PM
At 2:45 of the video.

Sorens (The Founder of the FSP) is giving a press conference in NY a while back. He looks VERY, VERY young.
He seems to have looked young for his age for years. I guess it might be a blessing when he is a senior. This year, while speaking about the FSP at the New York State Libertarian Party Convention, he announced that he is moving to New Hampshire this Summer. He doesn't have to move until 5 years after the FSP gets 20,000 signers but the fact that the creator of the Project is choosing to move 6-8 years earlier then he pledged to move, shows that he has a lot of confidence in the future of the FSP. It's like when an executive at a company purchases a large share of outstanding stock or something. I'm more excited about the future of the FSP than ever! There is video of his speech in NYC but the quality isn't amazing so keep that in mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPgTnjfz_aM

PeaceRequiresAnarchy
05-20-2013, 01:50 PM
The economy could just as easily come out of its malaise and go like gang busters with a libertarian at the helm. The public could see that our ideas actually work and produce well-paying job opportunities. After 20 years of the middle class taking it on the chin (and much longer if you count the decline in the purchasing power of the dollar), I think people are ready to roll the dice with someone more libertarian-minded.
If a libertarian in power was making massive cuts to or abolishing things like the the USPS, many people would lose their jobs. While the market may soon employ many of these former government employees, there is not always real demand for all government-run services. For example, I doubt that a free market would hire the many million school teachers that governments currently employ today. It may hire some, but many people would be out of work and would have to look for other services to provide that people would actually be willing to pay for. Many people would blame the libertarians in power not realize that society as a whole would be more wealthy if producers of services actually had to find consumers willing to pay for their services, rather than just provide a service that costs more than consumers are willing to pay for it.

PeaceRequiresAnarchy
05-20-2013, 01:56 PM
I asked my former AP US Government and Politics teacher in New Hampshire if he thought the documentary would be appropriate to show to his class and he said, "This looks very good and something which would be excellent for discussion." I'll report here if he tells me the class' reactions.

Bastiat's The Law
05-20-2013, 02:23 PM
If a libertarian in power was making massive cuts to or abolishing things like the the USPS, many people would lose their jobs. While the market may soon employ many of these former government employees, there is not always real demand for all government-run services. For example, I doubt that a free market would hire the many million school teachers that governments currently employ today. It may hire some, but many people would be out of work and would have to look for other services to provide that people would actually be willing to pay for. Many people would blame the libertarians in power not realize that society as a whole would be more wealthy if producers of services actually had to find consumers willing to pay for their services, rather than just provide a service that costs more than consumers are willing to pay for it.
Actually you can do it by attrition, like Ron and Rand do in their budgets. Simply, allow government workers to retire and don't hire new employees to fill the void. You can get things under control in a relatively short amount of time doing that. I'm not saying there won't be any pain, but you can certainly minimize it and if you have a well-spoken frontman like Rand, they can explain how this will make us all better in the long run. He's a doctor so he can make this comparison rather easily and in a way the public can understand. Nobody likes going to the doctor to get better and sometimes the medicine tastes bad, but you'll be better off tomorrow. If anybody can do that it's Rand.

PeaceRequiresAnarchy
05-21-2013, 12:52 PM
Actually you can do it by attrition, like Ron and Rand do in their budgets. Simply, allow government workers to retire and don't hire new employees to fill the void. You can get things under control in a relatively short amount of time doing that. I'm not saying there won't be any pain, but you can certainly minimize it and if you have a well-spoken frontman like Rand, they can explain how this will make us all better in the long run. He's a doctor so he can make this comparison rather easily and in a way the public can understand. Nobody likes going to the doctor to get better and sometimes the medicine tastes bad, but you'll be better off tomorrow. If anybody can do that it's Rand.
Okay, perhaps having libertarians in office wouldn't lead to many people rejecting libertarianism. In any case, I don't think that trying to put libertarians in office is the most efficient strategy to achieve liberty. People are free to try, but I think there are more efficient and effective ways to work towards building a free society.