PDA

View Full Version : Florida Shortened Yellow Lights to Gain Revenue

mrsat_98
05-14-2013, 07:47 PM
http://adask.wordpress.com/2013/05/14/florida-shortened-yellow-lights-to-gain-revenue/

Rate This

Red light camera system at the Springfield, Oh...

Red light camera system (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

Florida reduces the time on yellow lights by only a fraction of a second and gains $50 million in traffic light revenue.

Traffic light revenues are important because they’re ultimately based on the presumption that we can be charged for an offense that no one actually witnessed. Yes, some cop may later “witness” the video tape, but that strikes me a kind of hearsay since the cop didn’t witness the actual event. If the government is allowed to impose fines based on the “testimony” of machines and without eye-witnesses, it won’t be long before you’re issued a ticket for using too much toilet paper based on a computer that monitors your bathroom.

On the one hand, the use of machines (like computers and video recorders) to penalize offenses may be a good thing since such mechanical monitors may help reduce the incidence of offenses and crimes. On the other hand, the use of machines like computers and video recorders to penalize offenses may be a bad thing since they allow government to grow more efficient and ever-larger without the cost of adding additional personnel. Mechanical and electronic enforcement devices are conducive to a police state.

It might be a good idea to stop traffic light tickets as an exercise in rejecting the police state. If the traffic light schemes could be defeated today, we might thereby preempt a number of other mechanical devices headed our way that are intended to monitor and control us without the cost of a living cop. In the end, the police state is a business. If you can devise ways to restrict its income, you can also restrict its growth.

In the video below, it’s interesting to see how many government officials, private contractors and politicians insist that the yellow light intervals were shortened for “safety” reasons rather than to increase revenue for government and political campaign contributions (bribes) for politicians. They implicitly insist that government is here to help us–not help itself. They’re lying.

By shortening the duration of yellow lights, the government “encourages” some drivers to panic when they see the yellow light and make split-second decisions to stop or go. If they go, they may get a ticket. If they stop, they may get a rear-end collision. An increase in rear-end collisions is inconsistent with government claims of acting to increase “public safety”. But gov-co doesn’t care if there are more rear-end collisions. They only care if there are more tickets and more revenue.

If you challenge your red light traffic ticket, Florida courts may be able to double the fine from $184 (by mail) to over $400 (in court). Someone needs to devise an effective counter-suit against red light video traffic tickets. If the government lost a few $100,000 lawsuits while trying to make $184 on traffic tickets, those tickets would diminish dramatically.

• It occurs to me that if the red light camera can record both your car and your license plate, they should also be able to record any signs or symbols that appear on your car in the vicinity of your license plate.

If so, what if you added a bumper sticker that reads “Not In Commerce” next to your license plate? If the officer who later views the video tape sees evidence that the vehicle both 1) ran the red light; but 2) was not in commerce, could the officer issue a traffic ticket? Would the ticket be enforceable?

What if you glued an image of the true, American flag, hanging vertically and “at peace” on the bumper near the front and rear license plates? Would that be enough to signal that the vehicle was within a State of the Union and not operating in a territory or “state of emergency”? Could the officer who viewed the recording of the alleged offense still issue a ticket?

What if you affixed a true image of the flag of your State of the Union to your bumper? Assuming the “The State vs. this state” hypothesis is true, the license plate would indicate the vehicle was in or property of “this state”. But the flag of the State of the Union would indicate that vehicle was within The State. Displaying the flag of the State of the Union might not win your case, but it might provide sufficient evidence to raise a “conflict of law” (did the alleged event take place within the jurisdiction of “this state” or “The State”?). By merely introducing evidence of a conflict of law into the record, would you inhibit the police from proceeding?

What if you painted the cites for critical court cases on your bumper, or trunk or tailgate on your pickup?

What if you painted the terms of your consent to be stopped by a police officer who was de facto rather than de jure? I.e., what if you painted a notice near your license plate that you agreed to be stopped and ticketed by any de facto officer of “this state” for $100,000 per ticket. I wouldn’t necessarily expect such strategy to work . . . but what if . . . ?

You can think of scores of other messages and/or notices that you might want to post close enough to your license plate that they could be read and recorded by both traffic light cameras and the video cameras on the dash of police cruisers. If your choice of “bumper notices” was astute, you might be able to introduce evidence into the record of some of your courtroom defense to traffic tickets by means of the police recording of your traffic stop.

What the cameras giveth, the cameras can also taketh away. The same photos or videos that could be used against you in court, might also be used to introduce evidence on your behalf. Interesting possibility, no?

video 00:07:56

Warrior_of_Freedom
05-14-2013, 07:52 PM
Fucking murderers. I've almost got into an accident, not in Florida, but in New Jersey, because the yellow light ended so fucking fast I slammed on my brakes and lost control paranoid of getting a ridiculous ticket. Thankfully I hit nothing. In the winter I've borderline ran red lights because I can't brake so fast on icy roads. Thankfully I never got a ticket, but shit.

The fact 3rd party companies in my state operate these red light cameras is a conflict of interest.

mrsat_98
05-14-2013, 08:02 PM
I want to see the engineering reports.

ronpaulfollower999
05-14-2013, 08:07 PM
There is one red light camera intersection down the street from me, that has one of these stoplights:

http://i.imgur.com/yE9YBFt.jpg?1?1374

I refuse to turn there because it can be a real clustefuck (because of all the traffic) if you're trying to turn, but don't get the arrow. Seems like a really stupid place to put a red light camera. Every time I'm at the intersection, I see the flash go off.

ronpaulfollower999
05-14-2013, 08:10 PM
Fucking murderers. I've almost got into an accident, not in Florida, but in New Jersey, because the yellow light ended so fucking fast I slammed on my brakes and lost control paranoid of getting a ridiculous ticket. Thankfully I hit nothing. In the winter I've borderline ran red lights because I can't brake so fast on icy roads. Thankfully I never got a ticket, but shit.

The fact 3rd party companies in my state operate these red light cameras is a conflict of interest.

Yes, and that's the problem at the aforementioned intersection. You want to speed up so you don't get a ticket, but at the same time, you HAVE to slow down because it is difficult for cars in the opposite direction that are turning left to see you. So you begin to slow down, light turns red, and you have to slam on your brakes and hope the car behind you doesn't hit you.

paulbot24
05-14-2013, 08:11 PM
This is disgusting. Florida gains more revenue while they put you in the hospital and then you have Obamacare to look forward to...... Unbelievable.

Keith and stuff
05-14-2013, 08:19 PM
That is a crazy tax that the Republican governor of FL, many cities and the legislature support this. This tax increase might cost the people of FL $100,000,000 a year. Not to mention the broken arms, broken legs and people that have DIED because of this.

I'm just shocked that if you run a red light in FL (a light designed to catch innocent people) that it is $158 to $400 per ticket. That's insane. Maybe people should stop at green lights in FL if there is a camera, just in case.

HOLLYWOOD
05-14-2013, 08:22 PM
We Americans have one party in America... the VULTURE PARTY

Government is the root of all evil

Warrior_of_Freedom
05-14-2013, 08:22 PM
That is a crazy tax that the Republican governor of FL, many cities and the legislature support this. This tax increase might cost the people of FL $100,000,000 a year. Not to mention the broken arms, broken legs and people that have DIED because of this.

I'm just shocked that if you run a red light in FL (a light designed to catch innocent people) that it is $158 to $400 per ticket. That's insane. Maybe people should stop at green lights in FL if there is a camera, just in case.
Hell I've done that before. I was at a major intersection with a green left arrow light. I didn't see any signs that said I couldn't make a left unless the green left arrow shows, but I stopped anyway. I'm sure I could have gotten a ticket for obstructing traffic if I was actually able to make that turn. Same with rights on red. If I don't know if I can make a right on red or not, I don't. I hate driving. I don't feel free when I have to drive flawlessly to avoid punishment.

satchelmcqueen
05-14-2013, 08:36 PM
rome georgia has some very seriously fast yellow lights and damn cameras everywhere.

where can i find the law on said yellow light required times? or is there any stated said times?

so many times here ive almost been hit from behind or had to stomp the pedal to the floor to avoid a damn ticket. and thats at 40-45mph in most areas. it wasnt like i was doing 70!

DamianTV
05-14-2013, 08:40 PM
So first they wanna lower the BAC Level to 0.05 because Drunk Driving is a Cash Cow, but hide behind safety. Shorter Yellow Lights INCREASE the danger. So what's there excuse for doing this since SAFETY obviously does not apply here? Oh yeah, just more money again. And again. And again and again and again.

Taxation by Citation

Just wait till they try making Tobacco illegal...

Michigan11
05-14-2013, 08:42 PM
Florida seemed okay they had a more lax police force down there it seemed, because everyone is lazy, but it's not cool they are shortening yellow lights, that's unbelieveable!

ronpaulfollower999
05-14-2013, 08:51 PM

Don't worry. Many people in Florida already do it, even if there is not a camera.

DamianTV
05-14-2013, 09:08 PM
If they really wanted to balance things out, they would not give out tickets for being in the intersection on a Red Light. I've had lights here where you enter the intersection on a green light to turn left, then have to yield to oncoming traffic basically until the light turns red on me. Legal here. I know in California (shoker), that is illegal, but fuck, what choice do we have when the Law itself is causing safety to be comprimised?

Keith and stuff
05-14-2013, 09:18 PM
If FL wanted to increase taxes on those that drive, it should have considered a $5 registration surcharge or increasing the gas tax a couple cents. No, no, no, I not calling for tax increases. But FL did increase taxes and FL did it in a way that leads to accidents and likely deaths. There is blood on the hands of the folks that implemented this stuff.

Anti Federalist
05-14-2013, 09:23 PM
Just another day in AmeriKa...

Hah, and here's the best part, chumps.

Your rulers are laughing their asses off at you, watching you trying to comply with that which cannot be complied with.

Dance, muthafuckas, dance.

Wooden Indian
05-14-2013, 09:59 PM
I'm a Florida rez, have lived here on and off again for decades. Everytime that I end up back in this hell hole, I swear it's far worse than the previous time.

Anyhow, the VERY first day that my county fired up it's red light cameras... I got tagged. Didn't even realize it until I got my "bill" in the mail 29 days later. So, I filed it... filed it right with the other junk mail that came along with it.

Never heard a word back from the bastards. Never expect to (it was almost 2 years ago).

In short....

FUCK THEM... I WILL NOT COMPLY.

Natural Citizen
05-14-2013, 10:03 PM
Florida reduces the time on yellow lights by only a fraction of a second and gains $50 million in traffic light revenue.

Heh. Peckerwoods...

ClydeCoulter
05-14-2013, 10:26 PM
Ruled by lawless children. Education should include a lesson on the proper reasoning behind laws.

Warrior_of_Freedom
05-14-2013, 10:34 PM
Just another day in AmeriKa...

Hah, and here's the best part, chumps.

Your rulers are laughing their asses off at you, watching you trying to comply with that which cannot be complied with.

Dance, muthafuckas, dance.
The sad part is you are right. There's virtually no way you can travel on foot or automobile without breaking some law or regulation.

surf
05-14-2013, 11:01 PM
these aren't popular if you can prove the safety study by the (Goldman owned) system is bs and then get some pre- and post-installment accident data. also good to point out how much of the revenue goes to the operator (1/3?).

in Redmond we put together a petition (which the city council didn't accept) but the pressure was such that a 7-0 decision to install these bastardous machines (one on my commute) was overturned 7-0 to get rid of them.

Mani
05-14-2013, 11:42 PM
When I took driver's ed class a long time ago, they taught me Stop Lights were all about safety.

That when a Stop sign wasn't enough and too many accidents occurred, they added a stop light to make the intersection safer.

What happened to that???

And If they are going to make traffic tickets by making yellow lights shorter, and it does create a more dangerous situation, why not add a countdown timer?

So many places around the world have this...America is one of the few places I never understood why they don't have it.

As others have mentioned approaching a green light and then being in that DANGER ZONE....I don't have enough time to cross through the intersection while it's Green/Yellow...but if I suddenly stop I could get rear-ended as the stop is about to be quite sudden.

I hated this scenario, and especially during rainy days I sometimes held my breath either stopping suddenly or going through a red as it's turning from yellow to red.

Why take the guess work out of it???

Add a fucking counter. Are we like a 3rd world country? We don't know about these? 1851

These are all over Asia and other parts of the world....It's common sense. We can spend money to add cameras and give auto tickets, but we can't afford a countdown?

Oh ya...It's not about safety...it's about money...

Warrior_of_Freedom
05-14-2013, 11:44 PM
When I took driver's ed class a long time ago, they taught me Stop Lights were all about safety.

That when a Stop sign wasn't enough and too many accidents occurred, they added a stop light to make the intersection safer.

What happened to that???

And If they are going to make traffic tickets by making yellow lights shorter, and it does create a more dangerous situation, why not add a countdown timer?

So many places around the world have this...America is one of the few places I never understood why they don't have it.

As others have mentioned approaching a green light and then being in that DANGER ZONE....I don't have enough time to cross through the intersection while it's Green/Yellow...but if I suddenly stop I could get rear-ended as the stop is about to be quite sudden.

I hated this scenario, and especially during rainy days I sometimes held my breath either stopping suddenly or going through a red as it's turning from yellow to red.

Why take the guess work out of it???

Add a fucking counter. Are we like a 3rd world country? We don't know about these? 1851

These are all over Asia and other parts of the world....It's common sense. We can spend money to add cameras and give auto tickets, but we can't afford a countdown?

Oh ya...It's not about safety...it's about money...
ya... if I'm lucky an intersection has a crosswalk sign that has a countdown for when the light changes. It's very helpful.

Mani
05-14-2013, 11:49 PM
So called backwards countries are ahead of us in many ways....

Anti Federalist
05-15-2013, 12:12 AM
This scene should be repeated a thousand times a day across the country.

http://i.imgur.com/mb8KdaN.gif?1

DamianTV
05-15-2013, 12:12 AM
USA is now a 5th World Country. We dont even rank as a 3rd World because our leaders are so off in their own, they had to invent a new world classification just for them.

When the only thing we are #1 in is a bunch of shitty things like obesity and teen pregnancy, we really dont deserve to be able to call ourselves "leader of the free world" any longer. And if we are trying to lead by example, we are setting some really shitty standards. Gonna have to lower the bar to compete with us.

Mani
05-15-2013, 12:14 AM
Nice Aim.

That will be a year 30 year jail sentence...soon.....Soon it will be considered a terrorist act, "NOT VANDALISM" That's how they will stop it.

libertyjam
05-15-2013, 12:38 AM
F'ing red light cameras should all be shot off the poles the hang from every one.

bolil
05-15-2013, 12:39 AM
They hang em high though, don't they, just for 'our protection'

FTP.

The Free Hornet
05-15-2013, 12:54 AM
I saw two videos of coworkers red light tickets.

One was a 3 second yellow (I freeze framed it) and Guy#1 was still 15-20' (feet) away from the white line and went through the intersection (he was likely on the phone and distracted). No speeding that I could tell. No rain/snow/obstructions.

Guy#2 was a "rolling stop / right-hand-turn-on-red" (likely out of habit - rolling stop is all he knows - because it is a well-known camera intersection).

My slight preference is for a traffic citation to need visual evidence whether captured by an officer or a stationary camera as opposed to just what some cop said I did.

With luck, we might also condition people on juries and judges to not believe officer claims without damning, videotaped proof.

DamianTV
05-15-2013, 12:55 AM
Nice Aim.

That will be a year 30 year jail sentence...soon.....Soon it will be considered a terrorist act, "NOT VANDALISM" That's how they will stop it.

They could consider it a death sentence and it wont stop shit. In fact, passing a more severe law will only promote people fighting back and trashing their mechanisms of surveillance.

Weston White
05-15-2013, 02:33 AM
That claim doesn’t really hold much water; to increase safety at the intersection, a traffic engineer would not shorten the yellow light duration of traffic signals (unless they were perhaps highly inept in their job performance), though they would likely increase the duration of opposing red-light to green-light changes—so as to effect short (e.g. 2-6 second) pauses between the reflow of traffic.

Suggestions I think would be helpful in improving the situation include:
Pertaining to the use of red-light cameras, prohibiting any enforcement actions from being taken, while allotting for their use to be purely informational in nature (effectively realizing in law that technology cannot itself testify as a witness and that digital, mechanical, and software are fallible); with an exemption made merely for providing such data and recordings to hold evidentiary value in court, for whenever criminal acts are involved, whether or not such acts are related to the data or recording.
Amend vehicle code laws so that the enforcement of traffic violations pertaining to the use of red-light cameras is enforceable only when an actual collision results from a red light having been ran.
Mandating that a visibly readable and standardized red-light camera intersection sign be posted in all covered directions.
Replace the yellow light with a yellow countdown timer on all signals using red-light camera technologies.
Allow each individual vehicle a number of exemption passes each fiscal year, e.g., two red-light triggers or trips per year.
Legally require a fair and reasonable means of due process to be provided for all individuals challenging red-light auto-generated citations.
Greatly reduce all fines pertaining to the use of red-light cameras to cover only actual operating and maintenance expenses, this is after all only about ensuring the continuance of safety not about generating new creative streams of revenue.
Start a citizen’s protest collation that will make an unceasing affirmation to treat every yellow light as if it were a red light and act accordingly; that is until the use of red-light cameras is abolished or otherwise until serious changes are made to current governmental policies.

XTreat
05-15-2013, 05:10 AM
Step 1: Install red light cameras.
Step 2: Reduce yellow light time.
Step 3: Profit.

Anti Federalist
05-15-2013, 10:26 AM
Nice Aim.

I have no doubt.

I'm sure in places like NYC it's considered de facto felony assault upon an officer or some such shit.

surf
05-15-2013, 10:34 AM
not to dismiss opposition, but this is generally a winner issue with folks. getting rid of these is a project for local RP and C4L people to tackle

ravedown
05-15-2013, 11:15 AM
my city just installed 'flashing yellow arrows' to the existing stop lights ( $$$ tax dollars) and nobody can really explain why or who benefits. anyone else have these in their towns or know anything about why these exist? the best part is that no one knows what to do when they see a flashing yellow arrow...it's screwed up traffic even worse than before.

mrsat_98
05-16-2013, 04:16 PM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?362344-Yellow-Lights-are-Too-Short&highlight=yellow+light

LibForestPaul
05-16-2013, 04:33 PM
We had same problem up here. But some high-ups wives were getting tickets and whatnot. The times were fixed, cameras still there though.