PDA

View Full Version : Could anything be dropped from the blimp?

OptionsTrader
11-25-2007, 08:58 PM
I am thinking the blimp company has rules against dropping things out of the blimp, but it would be interesting to have news reports of the Ron Paul blimp dropping one dollar bills over football games.

It would probably either be considered littering or ecologically unfit, or against some safety requirements though I suppose.

T206
11-25-2007, 09:02 PM
I am thinking the blimp company has rules against dropping things out of the blimp, but it would be interesting to have news reports of the Ron Paul blimp dropping one dollar bills over football games.

It would probably either be considered littering or ecologically unfit, or against some safety requirements though I suppose.

Or inciting riot. :)

uncle saddam
11-25-2007, 09:03 PM
Ron Paul is no Burnanke, let's get that out of the way right now.

OptionsTrader
11-25-2007, 09:04 PM
Yeah....

So much for thinking outside the blimp.

Jon S
11-25-2007, 09:04 PM
maybe we can drop rocks. or balloons filled with whiskey.

AWESOME

stefans
11-25-2007, 09:07 PM
maybe we can drop rocks. or balloons filled with whiskey.

or blimps. filled with whiskey.

llamabread
11-25-2007, 09:07 PM
We could fly over the capital and drop volumes upon volumes of tax code on top of it until all of the congressmen get the idea.

stefans
11-25-2007, 09:12 PM

a money bomb?

cien750hp
11-25-2007, 09:15 PM
well since i saw that mythbusters that proved that a penny dropped wouldn't do anything.......

lucius
11-25-2007, 09:17 PM
Shillary?...

j.b.
11-25-2007, 09:23 PM
In regards to dropping things from the blimp, the Commercial Pilot flying the blimp may quote you something along the lines of the following:

(FAR stands for Federal Aviation Regulation)

Part §91.15 of the FARs states, "No pilot in command of a civil aircraft may allow any object to be dropped from that aircraft in flight that creates a hazard to persons or property. However, this section does not prohibit the dropping of any object if reasonable precautions are taken to avoid injury or damage to persons or property."

If the requirements of FAR §91.15 are not followed, an aircraft commander might also be concerned with the fact that he is also violating FAR §91.13, careless or reckless operation.

Given that the airship operator is a commerical operation, I would have to believe the pilot who holds a FAA Commercial Pilot certificate would have a problem with things being dropped from the blimp.

Naraku
11-25-2007, 09:28 PM
However, this section does not prohibit the dropping of any object if reasonable precautions are taken to avoid injury or damage to persons or property

In other words, things can be dropped like paper or something.

cien750hp
11-25-2007, 09:30 PM
In other words, things can be dropped like paper or something.

didn't we drop leaflets over iraq when we liberated them?

i see no reason why we shouldn't be dropping leaflets to liberate the american people. unless of course our liberation needs to be declared by congress... :D

BeFranklin
11-25-2007, 10:06 PM

Probably. I remember things like ticker tapes or one time in my home town money (for a Ronald Reagan visit) being dropped. FYI: The money drop was a failure - someone forgot to unbundle it, and it came down in one clump :)

OptionsTrader
11-25-2007, 10:22 PM
didn't we drop leaflets over iraq when we liberated them?

Not exactly a glowing endorsement of leaflet dropping :D

Hook
11-25-2007, 10:49 PM
Not strictly illegal. But highly unlikely that the blimp company would allow it.

chestertime
11-25-2007, 11:22 PM
well since i saw that mythbusters that proved that a penny dropped wouldn't do anything.......

"terminal velocity"

Man from La Mancha
11-25-2007, 11:29 PM
How about a huge bubble generator with lasting bubbles

austin356
11-25-2007, 11:47 PM
I wish the blimp would drop Nick Saban out of it!! 4 straight losses? UGH!

llamabread
11-26-2007, 07:08 AM
I wish the blimp would drop Nick Saban out of it!! 4 straight losses? UGH!

Maybe they could drop old Rush Propst now that he is out of a job :).

noztnac
11-26-2007, 07:17 AM
Giuliani in a dress.

noztnac
11-26-2007, 07:19 AM
Bungie jump for freedom!!!

Charge kids $50 to jump and pay for the blimp rental.

LBT
11-26-2007, 08:19 AM
How about dropping a few giant tea bags into the Boston Harbor?. Could be made of polystyrene and a linen bag.

If the blimp can fly over at 100 ft it could be done quite accurately, with a pick up crew nearby. That would be a great image for film crews to capture.
http://www.teaparty07.com/images/BannerImages/RPBanner200x200.jpg

Ginobili
11-26-2007, 08:22 AM
How about dropping a few giant tea bags (with Ron Paul face image on the tag) into the Boston Harbor?. Could be made of polystyrene and a linen bag.

If the blimp can fly over at 100 ft it could be done quite accurately, with a pick up crew nearby. That would be a great image for film crews to capture.

Aye, i've stated this idea before... but, I really doubt its going to happen :P

LBT
11-26-2007, 08:29 AM
Aye, i've stated this idea before... but, I really doubt its going to happen :P
Well, now this blimp is gaining momentum, I think anything is possible, so long as the idea resonates with people.

All we need is for someone to get some quotes to manufacture a few bags (maybe $1 or 2,000) and then a chip in gets underway.

It would get some mighty cheers from the crowd gathering at Boston Harbor on the 15th. Maybe a few dozen might dress as Indians and jump in after the bags...lol.

LFOD
11-26-2007, 11:09 AM
Dropping stuff from the air is a terrible idea, sorry. It's probably littering, it might injure someone, potential environmental and traffic problems. Not to mention a waste, as much of [whatever] will just get swept into the gutter.

OptionsTrader
11-26-2007, 01:50 PM
Giuliani in a dress.

LOL...

Part of Giuliani would probably secretly love the freedom of a Ron Paul presidency, isn't that ironic, don't ya think?