PDA

View Full Version : TIME magazine person of the year? (My Response)

sharedvoice
11-25-2007, 08:49 PM
This is something I wrote in brief response to TIME Talkback blog:

http://time-blog.com/talkback/poywalkup07.php

Last year, You were the Person of the Year. This year we can guarantee you won't repeat, but you can still tell us who you think, for better or for worse, has done the most to influence the events of the year. Use the submission form below to briefly describe your choice.

Without question mainstream news media has done the most to influence the events of the year, as they have become increasingly involved in the “business” of politics in this country.

However, I sincerely believe that Congressman Ron Paul (R-TX) deserves recognition for his amazing and unwaivering commitment to our individual liberties and freedom.

Despite inherent "long shot" presidential candidate odds, mainstream media marginalization, branding labels, and characterizations such as "dark horse", "unpatriotic", and "terrorist".

Dr. Ron Paul, 72, has remained well-spirited and focused in spreading the message of Peace, Prosperity, Life, Liberty and Freedom. --- The very things our Founding Fathers envisioned.

Surprisingly, much of his support comes from military personnel and young people that understand the importance of these things.

There is still hope after all.

-30-

AlexMerced
11-25-2007, 08:52 PM
Al Gore will more than likely win it, though I'm sure there will be prominent coverage of Ron Paul in the issue as a close runner up similar to GQ.

SOmeone said you got to remember, the man of year has to be someone who's cause noticable chance. We may feel RP has by curing many of our apathy, reviving hope in the country and constittution but most readers will be like, who?

Again, Ron Paul will most likey have a page or two dedicated to him in the issues, and I'd love for him to have the cover, but I'm not sure he fit the criteria, I think he'll be shoe in for next year if we sweep the primaries

kylejack
11-25-2007, 08:54 PM
Ahmedinejad would win it, if I were running it.

AlexMerced
11-25-2007, 08:56 PM
the dude has no real power, if I had to give it an Iranian I'd give to Rafsanjani for cleverly positioning himself to be the next supreme leader to spite Ahmedinejad.

When Rafsanjani becomes supreme leader I feel we can end all this middle east stuff much quicker, he is a reformist, which is a small step in the right direction.

sharedvoice
11-25-2007, 08:59 PM
Ron Paul is very unique and capable of bringing about much needed change in this country. Why woundn't he be a strong candidate to feature on the cover of TIME magazine?

Hell, I even think Snoop Dog was on there one year...

James R
11-25-2007, 09:01 PM
In the link provided, I ran the word count function on my text editor:
Al Gore: 661 occurrences
Ron Paul: 3,589 occurrences

sharedvoice
11-25-2007, 09:03 PM
In the link provided, I ran the word count function on my text editor:
Al Gore: 661 occurrences
Ron Paul: 3,589 occurrences

Al Gore... please :rolleyes: LOL!

literatim
11-25-2007, 09:07 PM
Everyone here should add their voice. :)

sharedvoice
11-25-2007, 09:11 PM
Everyone here should add their voice. :)

You should, the post is approved instantly.

aspiringconstitutionalist
11-25-2007, 09:11 PM
This is tricky. I think Ayatollah Khamanei has probably done more this year to influence the events of this year, but I sincerely believe Ron Paul has probably done more this year to influence events for generations to come. Given the more weighty, but less obvious, implications of Dr. Paul's influence on events in the year of 2007, I believe a serious argument could be made that Dr. Paul has changed the face of politics for the next generation, and should indeed be 2007's Person of the Year.

aspiringconstitutionalist
11-25-2007, 09:19 PM
My submission:

Ron Paul: Though the effects of his influence are far more subtle than that of others, Congressman Paul in his run for President has changed the face of politics for a whole generation. He has revived an entire branch, previously thought lost, of political thought--constitutional republicanism. Issues that have been swept under the rug in a post 9-11 world (foreign non-intervention, independent free trade, sound monetary policy, etc.) have now been returned to the forefront of national debate. American politics will never be the same, thanks to Dr. Paul.

RoamZero
11-25-2007, 09:43 PM
It's probably gonna be one of the people on this list:

http://www.time.com/time/specials/2007/article/0,28804,1672153_1674439_1674440,00.html

Of them probably Steve Jobs. And also, even if she's off the list I would not be surprised if Paris Hilton is also in consideration.

AlexMerced
11-25-2007, 09:46 PM
if he's not at the top of list I'll be pissed, but I don't think the iplications of what he's done this year will really break into common knowledge until next year, he'll be a show in next year as long as he keeps marching foward.