PDA

View Full Version : '24' is back: more torture than ever before!

Warlord
05-13-2013, 03:49 PM
The neocons are celebrating more torture being dramatized on television:

-
Torture? Sure. Harsh interrogations? Of course. The series featured that worst case, ticking time bomb scenario that turned some doves into hawks on the matter of televised terrorism.

That didn't sit well with the Left, although the show's popularity overshadowed most of the outrage. The series came of age before the Twitter revolution, and by the time 24 wrapped its final season in May of 2010 the social networking site hadn't yet assumed its full clout. Plus, the series has lost some of its pop culture might in its final episodes.

We're living in an age when the current administration dubs terrorism "workplace violence" and overseas attacks are scrubbed of their terrorist roots.

Can we expect a kinder, gentler Jack Bauer? Or will Fox executives realize the formula which which made 24 such an unrelenting thriller should be left alone?

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Hollywood/2013/05/13/24-returns-fox
-

Err no, you can expect the physco's at FOX to promote more torture, war, Muslim sleeper cells, government power run amok, assassinations and extra-judicial killing. No doubt drones to be featured heavily. Let's kill those ragheads before it's too late!

jllundqu
05-13-2013, 03:54 PM
Yeah but.... Jack Bauer is the shit, come on. lol

cajuncocoa
05-13-2013, 04:07 PM
Jack Bauer, typical neocon

http://t.qkme.me/3pwu9u.jpg

Warlord
05-13-2013, 04:10 PM
What's the 4th and 5th Amendment? So old fashioned.

emazur
05-13-2013, 04:22 PM
I love 24 and Jack Bauer is the man. Yes he did sometimes torture but if I recall correctly he always had direct knowledge that the bad guy did know about information leading to the ticking time bomb situation - they weren't fishing expeditions of someone who was simply accused of being a terrorist who might know something. There was only one time I can remember where he kinda stepped over the line - there was a terrorist just about to release a devastating mass poison gas attack and Bauer held his completely innocent daughter at gunpoint right in front of him and threatened to kill her if he didn't stop the gas attack. The attack was stopped and the daughter was let go.

jllundqu
05-13-2013, 04:27 PM
I love 24 and Jack Bauer is the man. Yes he did sometimes torture but if I recall correctly he always had direct knowledge that the bad guy did know about information leading to the ticking time bomb situation - they weren't fishing expeditions of someone who was simply accused of being a terrorist who might know something. There was only one time I can remember where he kinda stepped over the line - there was a terrorist just about to release a devastating mass poison gas attack and Bauer held his completely innocent daughter at gunpoint right in front of him and threatened to kill her if he didn't stop the gas attack. The attack was stopped and the daughter was let go.

Well that's not exactly true... there were plenty of times he put the screws to people he "thought" were the bad guys.

HOLLYWOOD
05-13-2013, 04:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhB_3Jz0x_s

green73
05-13-2013, 04:38 PM

So it's not a show to condition people that torture is ok?

MRoCkEd
05-13-2013, 04:42 PM
Nice, glad to see it's coming back

Falcon63
05-13-2013, 04:51 PM
It's a fictitious television program. This is a non-issue.

JorgeStevenson
05-13-2013, 04:53 PM
Fantastic show. Television hasn't been the same since it went off the air.

squarepusher
05-13-2013, 04:58 PM
Fantastic show. Television hasn't been the same since it went off the air.

Fuck Yeah Jack Bauer. Homeland is actually pretty good, although not a direct substitute.

heavenlyboy34
05-13-2013, 04:58 PM
Makes no difference to me. I don't even own a TV. :)

TheTexan
05-13-2013, 05:00 PM

It was quite an awesome show

Warlord
05-13-2013, 05:02 PM
lol @ 24 fans.

It's complete fear-mongering, torture loving crap.

TheTexan
05-13-2013, 05:03 PM
lol @ 24 fans.

It's completely awesome fear-mongering, torture loving crap.

Fixed that for you

green73
05-13-2013, 05:06 PM

God you're smart.

Warlord
05-13-2013, 05:06 PM
No it's fear-mongering, CIA glamorizing, stereotyping, torture loving, constitution wrecking propaganda.

TheTexan
05-13-2013, 05:07 PM
No it's fear-mongering, CIA glamorizing, stereotyping, torture loving, constitution wrecking propaganda.

Still a good show

Brett85
05-13-2013, 05:07 PM
I'm a big fan of 24. It's just a television show, people. It's not meant to advance any political agenda.

Warlord
05-13-2013, 05:08 PM
I'm a big fan of 24. It's just a television show, people. It's not meant to advance any political agenda.

Except to demonize Muslims and promote torture/war

TheTexan
05-13-2013, 05:08 PM
It's not meant to advance any political agenda.

It's a good show but I wouldn't go that far :)

Cutlerzzz
05-13-2013, 05:09 PM
Anyone who let's 24 determine their opinion on torture is already lost.

I personally liked the show a lot from seasons 1-3. Seasons 4 and 7-8 were good, but not as good. Seasons 5 and 6 were bad.

green73
05-13-2013, 05:09 PM
Come on people. Hollywood doesn't help shape opinions.

TheTexan
05-13-2013, 05:11 PM
Come on people. Hollywood doesn't help shape opinions.

I agree. That entire notion is foolish.

green73
05-13-2013, 05:12 PM
Personally I haven't seen it so I'll shut up. But I understand the same people made Homeland, and I have seen that and while it is a "good show" there is a lot of unconstitutionality pawned off as acceptable.

Warlord
05-13-2013, 05:12 PM
24 promotes torture/war and the survellience state.

EVERY piece of information can be hit up in an instant.. phone records, emails, pictures etc... this is the governments dream and now the sheeple have been conditioned to expect this from their federal agencies to keep us safe from those Muslim terrorists.

Shows like 24 condition this and the laws and technology soon follows

Brett85
05-13-2013, 05:16 PM
24 promotes torture/war and the survellience state.

EVERY piece of information can be hit up in an instant.. phone records, emails, pictures etc... this is the governments dream and now the sheeple have been conditioned to expect this from their federal agencies to keep us safe from those Muslim terrorists.

Shows like 24 condition this and the laws and technology soon follows

It's always shown as some type of ticking time bomb scenario, not what happens or should happen under normal circumstances.

emazur
05-13-2013, 05:17 PM

It's not a show to "condition" people into approving torture. It's a fictional show, Jack is the show hero, sometimes he uses torture on bad guys with an iron-clad case against them. Yes, it is convenient that the hero only tortures known bad guys in a ticking time bomb situation. If he was presented as a hero who tortured 10 suspects and only 1 was the bad guy but that one act lead to a good conclusion, I'd think differently. The 24 producers' other show, Homeland, actually has its foundation built upon the fact the killing/hurting innocent people leads to blowback (the term blowback is actually used and some in the CIA are made out to be the bad guys. On that note, there plenty of government employees revealed to be bad guys over 24's run including the U.S. president).

My own thinking of torture is that if there really is a "ticking time bomb" situation and the interrogator decides to use torture, he does so entirely on his own risk: if he's wrong he should be thrown in jail for a long time. It the threat really was "imminent", it shouldn't take long to find out whether or not the torture was arguably justifiable.

Brett85
05-13-2013, 05:17 PM

I personally liked the show a lot from seasons 1-3. Seasons 4 and 7-8 were good, but not as good. Seasons 5 and 6 were bad.

I just got done watching Season 3. I think that may actually be the best season. I actually liked Season 1 a lot for some reason as well. The ending was really gripping.

Brett85
05-13-2013, 05:18 PM
Libertarians should love "24" as there are all kinds of government conspiracies on the show that end up being true.

EBounding
05-13-2013, 05:21 PM
It's a great show if you take it as pure entertainment.

http://vimeo.com/12161573

jllundqu
05-13-2013, 05:21 PM

This^ 24 is a great show.

Warlord
05-13-2013, 05:22 PM
It's always shown as some type of ticking time bomb scenario, not what happens or should happen under normal circumstances.

The constitution has no exceptions.

But the 4th and 5th doesn't exist in 24's world.

Just emboldens the despots in power and conditions the public to think their abuse is acceptable.

green73
05-13-2013, 05:23 PM
P.s. It was on Fox. How can it be a great show without boobies and f-bombs?

EBounding
05-13-2013, 05:30 PM
The constitution has no exceptions.

But the 4th and 5th doesn't exist in 24's world.

Just emboldens the despots in power and conditions the public to think their abuse is acceptable.

Most of what Jack does is not government sanctioned though since most of the time he has gone rogue!

Warlord
05-13-2013, 05:35 PM
The US constitution has few exceptions.

Normalizing abuse by authority, glamorizing it and demonizing Muslims emboldens the people in power and makes it seem acceptable if not expected by the dumbed down masses.

Rand Paul defends the Bill of Rights

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KR13xkOwtxU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KR13xkOwtxU

Fourth Amendment to the United States Constitution

'The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized'

Fifth Amendment to the United States Constitution

'No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.'

I suppose things portrayed in 24 and in the "ticking time bomb" scenario might be permissible under 'public danger' but not the assassinations, torture, incriminating yourself in interviews, threats, intimidation, detention and unwarranted searches, seizures, wire taps or other surveillance activities done at a drop of the hat in the show.

heavenlyboy34
05-13-2013, 05:42 PM
This^ 24 is a great show.
Turn off your TVs and read, people!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFvT_qEZJf8

Feelgood
05-13-2013, 05:43 PM

AND it gives me wood!!!

squarepusher
05-13-2013, 05:46 PM

best scene ever?

emazur
05-13-2013, 05:59 PM
Turn off your TVs and read, people!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFvT_qEZJf8

If you insist...
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20061221143444/24/images/b/b9/Novel_catsclaw.jpg

Actually I have been meaning to read the rest of those 24 novels - I've only read the first one.

Also, for 24 fans I'd suggest the cliffhanger last episode of Season 2 of Star Trek Enterprise followed by all of Season 3, just about any Dan Brown novel, Showtime's Sleeper Cell and the previously mentioned Homeland (these 2 aren't nearly as action packed as 24 but still good).

Edit: if you were waiting for 24 The Movie, just watch Taken. Pretty much exactly what you'd expect a 24 movie to be (and it's damn good). I still haven't seen Taken 2 but I'm looking forward to doing so

surf
05-13-2013, 06:00 PM
prediction: drones will play a large role in saving America (i'm gonna guess the shithole known as DC is the target this time)and a lesser prediction that (whatever dep't Jack works for) his peeps will have an unparalleled IT group than is far smarter than any civilian (terrorist) organization could employ.....

i'm kinda with Warlord here but more determined not to preach to the choir. those of us here know it glamorizes torture and uses illogical circumstances to justify trashing common sense and the constitution and most of us hate this. but i'll watch it anyway. i'm laying the over/under @125 deaths (not including any mass explosions) during the 24 episode season.

Christian Liberty
05-13-2013, 06:05 PM

Hey, I've never watched this show but I know it was popular and my parents really liked it. Considering what you know of me, do you think it will poison my mind too much?

Cutlerzzz
05-13-2013, 06:05 PM
I just got done watching Season 3. I think that may actually be the best season. I actually liked Season 1 a lot for some reason as well. The ending was really gripping.

Chase getting his arm cut off at the end of season 3 was epic. So was Jack's charge into the bad guys compound at the end of season 1.

heavenlyboy34
05-13-2013, 06:08 PM
Hey, I've never watched this show but I know it was popular and my parents really liked it. Considering what you know of me, do you think it will poison my mind too much?
Excessive exposure to propaganda will fuck with your head if you don't have a solid intellectual/philosophical foundation. If you know about rhetoric and fallacies, you can have a bit of fun pointing out the poor logic on television shows (not to mention bad dialogue/screenwriting/story telling).

AGRP
05-13-2013, 06:13 PM
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documents/crime/rush-limbaughs-dominican-stag-party

thoughtomator
05-13-2013, 06:13 PM
I can count the number of posters who still don't get it by the number of people who can comment on TV shows as if they've actually watched them.

If you still have a TV, you're doing it wrong. TV is nothing but lies and propaganda and severely damages the ability of human beings to think clearly.

redmod79
05-13-2013, 06:15 PM
It shows a lot of bad guys in government so it's a wash in that respect. I love how Jack went apeshit against them during the last season.

Danan
05-13-2013, 06:16 PM
Terrible show.

redmod79
05-13-2013, 06:16 PM
You're probably right. Oh well.

Warlord
05-13-2013, 06:23 PM
prediction: drones will play a large role in saving America (i'm gonna guess the shithole known as DC is the target this time)and a lesser prediction that (whatever dep't Jack works for) his peeps will have an unparalleled IT group than is far smarter than any civilian (terrorist) organization could employ.....

i'm kinda with Warlord here but more determined not to preach to the choir. those of us here know it glamorizes torture and uses illogical circumstances to justify trashing common sense and the constitution and most of us hate this. but i'll watch it anyway. i'm laying the over/under @125 deaths (not including any mass explosions) during the 24 episode season.

I watched the last one only half way and lost interest. Every season though my brothers were suspects and I feel sorry for Muslims in America.

They're all suspects trying to blow America up!

Christian Liberty
05-13-2013, 06:24 PM
Excessive exposure to propaganda will fuck with your head if you don't have a solid intellectual/philosophical foundation. If you know about rhetoric and fallacies, you can have a bit of fun pointing out the poor logic on television shows (not to mention bad dialogue/screenwriting/story telling).

I'm strengthening my libertarian conviction every day. I've got time, I guess. I was a neocon only three short years ago...

surf
05-13-2013, 06:24 PM
I can count the number of posters who still don't get it by the number of people who can comment on TV shows as if they've actually watched them.

If you still have a TV, you're doing it wrong. TV is nothing but lies and propaganda and severely damages the ability of human beings to think clearly.
dude - I have a tv so I can watch sports (when my Sounders are out of town). how's this wrong?

EBounding
05-13-2013, 06:25 PM
24 is even better while reading Dave Barry's live blog.

emazur
05-13-2013, 06:31 PM
dude - I have a tv so I can watch sports (when my Sounders are out of town). how's this wrong?

There's nothing wrong with owning a TV - anyone lacking the maturity to have discriminating tastes with television to filter out the good from the bad is going to have the same issues when it comes to reading material.

heavenlyboy34
05-13-2013, 06:45 PM
+1 I only watch TV once in a blue moon or so, and that's for Olympics, judo, various other martial arts, and maybe a movie. (it's been so long since I watched a movie IDR which one it was that I saw last) Sadly, the IJF championships are only broadcast on youtube AFAIK.

Brett85
05-13-2013, 06:48 PM
I watched the last one only half way and lost interest. Every season though my brothers were suspects and I feel sorry for Muslims in America.

They're all suspects trying to blow America up!

In the majority of the seasons the terrorists were white, not Muslims.

Warlord
05-13-2013, 06:49 PM
heavenly is an elitist snob who doesn't have a TV and reads econ text books instead while looking down on the rest of us in a smug and self-assured manner :)

kcchiefs6465
05-13-2013, 07:22 PM

Pretty much.

I'll raise your drone prediction one to that they will depict a drone strike in the United States. Probably along the lines of saving hundreds if not thousands of lives.

The show is propaganda. If the first episode doesn't annoy me so, I will probably still watch it.

anaconda
05-13-2013, 07:40 PM

I was never sympathetic to Jack Bauer's character. I thought he was a dick. And not in a good way. It also bugged me how he practically had sex with his daughter every time they shared a tender "father & daughter" moment. Practically slipping her the tongue and fondling her breasts while telling her how much he loved her and was going to keep her safe.

Brian4Liberty
05-13-2013, 10:53 PM

Except for when it has come up in Presidential Debates and various war-mongering pundits use it as if it's a justification for more government power.

eric_cartman
05-13-2013, 11:25 PM
all the haters of this show should know that:

1) people within high levels of the US government (even the president) are involved in the terrorist attacks
2) they used muslim patsies and false evidence to start a war in the middle east
3) a big military contractor company basically goes rogue and does all sorts of bad stuff (shows how the miltiary industrial complex is out of control)
4) they basically show how a small, secretive, covert group runs the world (New World Order / Shadow Government type of stuff)

so it's not just a show that demonizes muslims and glorifies torture... it often shows that high level people within the US government are just as bad as the muslim terrorists. Jack Bauer is such an awesome character because not only does he go after the Muslim terrorits ... he also goes after people in the US government and military... including the president himself!

Weston White
05-13-2013, 11:32 PM

Not really, it is a covert medium to systematically brainwash the masses. It is designed to alter social perceptions of what is acceptably right from what is (or used to be) morally wrong (e.g., torture is cool, yes torturing 'tis fun, I want to become a Jack Bauer and torture everyone). That much is made even clearer simply by reading many of the prior posts within this thread.

I have never seen a single show, and will continue boycotting such deplorable propaganda as that. Instead, I will stick to shows that serve a higher intellectual or creative purpose such as “Fringe” (which just completed its fifth and final season), for example.

CPUd
05-14-2013, 12:11 AM
Not really, it is a covert medium to systematically brainwash the masses. It is designed to alter social perceptions of what is acceptably right from what is (or used to be) morally wrong (e.g., torture is cool, yes torturing 'tis fun, I want to become a Jack Bauer and torture everyone). That much is made even clearer simply by reading many of the prior posts within this thread.

I have never seen a single show, and will continue boycotting such deplorable propaganda as that. Instead, I will stick to shows that serve a higher intellectual or creative purpose such as “Fringe” (which just completed its fifth and final season), for example.

LOLOL

Weston White
05-14-2013, 12:17 AM
LOLOL

Yuppers, I have been completely turned off by every single preview/commercial I have seen about it and more so by every article/debate I have come across regarding that stupid show.

* Also noteworthy is how “CSI” has served to greatly alter the public’s expectation of law enforcement into something that is beyond all reasonableness, existing outside the realm of human obtainment and technological possibility.

fr33
05-14-2013, 12:23 AM
I remember Rush Limbaugh promoting 24. It'll happen again.

"Club Gitmo" is so nice. We could only be so lucky if Rush had the balls of the gitmo prisoners to starve himself. They are more republican than he is.

anaconda
05-14-2013, 01:46 AM
I had a teacher for C++ programming that was a producer and writer (Michael Loceff). My course number was used in an episode as a computer password. "CIS15A." The JAVA course, "CIS27A" was also used as a computer password in another episode.

Warlord
05-14-2013, 04:45 AM

1) people within high levels of the US government (even the president) are involved in the terrorist attacks
2) they used muslim patsies and false evidence to start a war in the middle east
3) a big military contractor company basically goes rogue and does all sorts of bad stuff (shows how the miltiary industrial complex is out of control)
4) they basically show how a small, secretive, covert group runs the world (New World Order / Shadow Government type of stuff)

so it's not just a show that demonizes muslims and glorifies torture... it often shows that high level people within the US government are just as bad as the muslim terrorists. Jack Bauer is such an awesome character because not only does he go after the Muslim terrorits ... he also goes after people in the US government and military... including the president himself!

All of this is outweighed by the terrorist and constitution hating propaganda at least in this Warlord's mind.

Yes I know it's just a "show" but that stuff is subtle and powerful. People will expect their Federal agencies like the CIA to have unlimited power, to torture in order to "break" the terrorist and whatever else abuse of power is slipped in there.

ronpaulfollower999
05-14-2013, 05:04 AM

What happened to the rest of the president's motorcade? Why did they allow him to drive on the street with other traffic like a sitting duck? Where was the police?

EBounding
05-14-2013, 05:18 AM
What happened to the rest of the president's motorcade? Why did they allow him to drive on the street with other traffic like a sitting duck? Where was the police?

I forget the details, but Bauer managed to get the traffic redirected down that alleyway. Yes, I'm serious.

osan
05-14-2013, 05:27 AM
I watched a few episodes of the first season and found it childish. It was fairly clear to me to be a conditioning program. The tacit elements were all there - good government stooges... erm, I mean agents against the eville sand negros. I was not going to give that my time and attention.

What astounded me, and I use that word advisedly, was that it lasted for what... maybe four years? Same old bullshit repackaged with new sand negroes. That shit is so transparent to me and yet so few others appeared to see it... perhaps I am hallucinating?

We had no TV in the house for 2+ years. Got it back when wife was bed-ridden during chemo. As of the 24th of this month it is once again out and for my money will never be allowed back in. Television is one of the most acutely dangerous technologies ever developed by human beings. It is disease and I can only recommend people tune it out. The fact that people become so testy, like smokers trying to go cold turkey, when TV is not available should tell one volumes about its nature.

As with virtually everything that is on TV, "24" is crap glorification of the "the state", condemnation of the boogey man... the eville Muslim sand negro. Jesus... and to think of how many people who blather on endlessly about "racism" and tolerance and all the endless PC bullshit marinate their minds in poison such as this. How crazy sick with stupidity and hypocrisy is that?

You can keep that cheap thrills masturbatory vicarious bullshit. I'll pass.

osan
05-14-2013, 05:42 AM
Most of what Jack does is not government sanctioned though since most of the time he has gone rogue!

Have you ever, and I mean EVER considered with any analytic care what, if anything, that phrase actually means? I will not go into the analysis here, though you can read on it here: http://freedomisobvious.blogspot.com/2010/03/state.html

Suffice to say that the phrase is utterly devoid of substantive meaning and in fact relies on pure innuendo and other bullshit provided by the ignorance and compliant nature of each recipient for its devastating power.

But if for conversation's sake we assume otherwise, the fact that such a character proceeds from crisis to crisis without ever being held accountable for his actions demonstrates in a prima facie and apodictic manner that what he does is in point of fact most definitely "government sanctioned".

Some folks really do need to slow it down, take a breath and start actually thinking about, well... their thoughts about such things.

Mercy.

EBounding
05-14-2013, 06:07 AM
Have you ever, and I mean EVER considered with any analytic care what, if anything, that phrase actually means? I will not go into the analysis here, though you can read on it here: http://freedomisobvious.blogspot.com/2010/03/state.html

Suffice to say that the phrase is utterly devoid of substantive meaning and in fact relies on pure innuendo and other bullshit provided by the ignorance and compliant nature of each recipient for its devastating power.

But if for conversation's sake we assume otherwise, the fact that such a character proceeds from crisis to crisis without ever being held accountable for his actions demonstrates in a prima facie and apodictic manner that what he does is in point of fact most definitely "government sanctioned".

Some folks really do need to slow it down, take a breath and start actually thinking about, well... their thoughts about such things.

Mercy.

Of course he's never accountable. He's Jack Bauer :P If he had to face the consequences the show would be over.

Brett85
05-14-2013, 06:54 AM

Yep, and it also illustrates the principle of "blowback" in a couple different seasons.

moostraks
05-14-2013, 06:55 AM

I think that those who are so nonchalant about the fact that it is subtle propaganda need to read this and take heed. It seems that 24 is popular with those who have a slippery position on the methods that are employed by the main character, whether they overtly agree with the government sanctioned usage or some rogue character based upon necessary circumstances. Listening to some here try and convince others there is something worthy in the show because of what "conspiracy theories" it exposes indicates how they have made it palatable to a specific audience needing "re-educated".

Brett85
05-14-2013, 06:55 AM
And it shows Jack Bauer as being anti war. He does everything he possibly can to stop a war in the Middle East at the end of Season 2.

eric_cartman
05-14-2013, 08:00 AM

in this season, he was the former president

emazur
05-14-2013, 09:33 AM

Actually Jack Bauer was brutally tortured for years in Chinese prison for accidentally killing some people at the embassy in pursuit of someone with knowledge of a ticking time bomb situation. The only reason the U.S. government decided to make a deal with the Chinese to get him out was so they could then turn him over to a an enemy for the purpose of killing Bauer for revenge.
http://explosivedonut.com/wp-content/uploads/JackBauerHackedbyChinese_859B/image03.png

In fact, time after time Bauer got screwed over and his life turned upside down.

Falcon63
05-14-2013, 10:18 AM
Okay, you guys are overly paranoid. Holy shit, let me guess, you don't watch action or adventure movies either because they promote violence?

Like I said, it's a fictitious television show. It doesn't promote anything because it is fictitious and purely used as entertainment and to make money. I laugh incredibly hard at all the anti-television pussies, because that is exactly what they are: pussies.

Either watch the show or don't. I find it entertaining. It does not "condition" me. I am still anti-war and anti-torture. If you're really that butthurt, too bad, stop being a little girl.

If you're really that influenced by a FICTITIOUS television show, you're weak-minded and deserve to be "conditioned".

SilentBull
05-14-2013, 10:41 AM
This is a mistake. That show went on for too long. Now they bring it back? It should have ended around season 5.

JorgeStevenson
05-14-2013, 12:03 PM
Good lord this thread was depressing.

It's a TV show. You either like it, or you don't. You shouldn't be scared of it - "Oh, I can't watch that! I might start supporting torture if Jack Bauer tortures a character that I don't like!" Cmon, get real.

Slutter McGee
05-14-2013, 12:08 PM
Except to demonize Muslims and promote torture/war

Come on...it always turned out the British were actually behind it.

Slutter McGee

kcchiefs6465
05-14-2013, 12:15 PM

It's a TV show. You either like it, or you don't. You shouldn't be scared of it - "Oh, I can't watch that! I might start supporting torture if Jack Bauer tortures a character that I don't like!" Cmon, get real.
Okay. Seeing that many people have now said about as much, I am going to attempt to respond clearly. The show isn't propagandizing me. I see right through that bullshit which is why I probably won't be able to watch it. It will probably annoy me as much as mainstream news in the morning. The propaganda will have effects on those who have not formed opinions on the subject or even those with weak opinions on the subject. I hear the argument of 'for the greater good' all of the time. It is the only argument they have. So spare me the 'Jack Bauer torturing people on television' doesn't have any effect. Or that some are 'scared.' (lmao)

Riddle me this, how come during these torture sessions the victim isn't giving answers to shit he doesn't even know? Or flatout lying?

"Okay, okay please, I'll tell you everything. Me and Billy planted the bombs over there."

Then Jack Bauer kills him or he's shipped to Guantanamo or whatever, and he goes where the man says the bomb is. Realistic plot twist, THE MAN HE WAS TORTURING WAS THE WRONG GUY! or he lied. The bomb blows up and kills thousands of people. The end. Hell, even a FBI plot would be great. The government informant can say he wants to use inert materials and they can insist he gives terrorists actual bombs!

Season 2 could be where Jack Bauer gets charged with civil rights violations! Or where people wake up that torture is an unreliable, cruel, method of obtaining disinformation or bullshit. No, it will be shown that the torture directly leads to pertinent information that thwarts an attack that would have killed thousands. And then I get to spend extra time dispelling that talking point.

eric_cartman
05-14-2013, 12:42 PM
^^^ they have tortured the wrong people before. they tortured one of their own CTU agents thinking they were a mole... but the real mole planted false evidence.

i think that, if anything, they use these modern day themes and present them from a few different angles.

it's not just:

muslims = terrorists = bad

toruture = good

sometimes it's the people in the white house who are the real terrorits. sometimes they torture the wrong people.

also, jack does get held accountable by a congress or something too in one season.

i donno... not only is the show very entertaining... but they throw in all this conspiracy / new world order type of stuff as well as precondition... so i think a lot of posters were would find the show very interesting as well as entertaining.

knowing the history of Fox and preconditioning (pilot episode of lone gunmen)... i think that David Palmer was to condition people for Obama. And in the later seasons, they conditioned people for drones and body scanners. maybe my memory is a bit off... but i remember seeing these drones over New York in a season of 24 before the whole drone thing became an issue. and i also remember there being body scanners to enter CTU just before the body scanners went into the airports. maybe people would think that body scanners were cool because they saw all the people at CTU go through them.

kcchiefs6465
05-14-2013, 12:56 PM
Don't get me wrong, I've watched a few of the seasons. They were pretty entertaining. I just get annoyed easily anymore. I find myself rolling my eyes to a lot of these movies and shows. (the propaganda in them) Not to mention that I don't know where they'd even go with it. It's going to get played out. This season will probably be the worst. A good show knows when to stop. 24 is past that point.

I will watch it. I just don't know how far I will make it before I just shut it off. Kind of like the news.

JorgeStevenson
05-14-2013, 02:56 PM
Chief - "Season 2", the idea that you proposed with the belief that it would never happen, is real. It's Season 7. You should watch it.

Warlord
05-14-2013, 03:22 PM
I've anticipated the "it's just a show" line.

Yes, it is just a tv show but it's a conditioning exercise and because of it you see things like NDAA, unlimited CIA power and almost everything in the show becoming reality or at least accepted by the dumbed down masses who are conditioned through this program, others like it, Holllywood and neocon talk radio that their government is keeping them safe from terrorists and therefore liberty must be surrendered for security.

It also re-enforces the narrative like Hollywood that the president is a Very. Important. Person. if not the central figure of American cultural life who must perpetually make "tough decisions" (usually involving interfering in other countries affairs and deploying the U.S military)

anaconda
05-15-2013, 01:07 AM
I just saw Jack's wife from season 1 turn up in the last couple of episodes of "Revolution."

Falcon63
05-15-2013, 06:03 AM
People are overly-sensitive. I don't care, though, I'll still watch 24, I'm still watching Person of Interest, and I'll watch any other shows that seem entertaining to me, regardless of what people think they may "condition" me to do.

green73
05-15-2013, 06:20 AM
FFS, no one is worried about libertarian types watching this show. It's the stupid fucking sheeple who comprise 95% of the electorate.

Lucille
05-15-2013, 03:40 PM
Look (http://www.politico.com/blogs/click/?ml=bl_cl) who's excited:

@SenJohnMcCain Jack Bauer is back to save America as we know it - can't wait! http://t.co/rCBYF2YT5N

A big fan, McCain once made a cameo on “24” and has previously said that he and Bauer, the show’s protagonist, “have a lot in common.”

Who but that BSC! neo-Trotskyite would want to "save America as we know it," fascist disaster that it is.

jllundqu
05-15-2013, 03:46 PM
I hate that McCain is from my state..... what a no-talent-ass-clown.

emazur
05-15-2013, 05:56 PM
FFS, no one is worried about libertarian types watching this show. It's the stupid fucking sheeple who comprise 95% of the electorate.

There seem to be too many libertarian types here who want to have it both ways: 95% of the electorate is too stupid to make good decisions on what to watch or read or eat yet they are smart enough to run their own lives and don't need big government.

I accuse liberals of the same double standard: 95% of the electorate are Pavlovian dogs who just do whatever advertisers tell them to do yet we're supposed to believe that 'the power of the people' translates to a majority that will make good voting decisions so big government is OK.

If you're arguing that 95% of the people are too fucking stupid at voting AND running their own lives but it's better to keep them out of the way of those who are by strictly limiting government, then I suppose you wouldn't be guilty of the double standard. And I like the quote below, so suppose I'd be in agreement with you if that was the case:

The majority is never right. Never. That's one of those social myths that every free and intelligent man must fight. Who are the majority in a country, anyway, the wise or the foolish? Why, the fools are! They have an overwhelming majority the world over! But I'll be damned if it then follows that they should govern the intelligent people!
- Henrik Ibsen, "An Enemy of the People", 1882

Brett85
05-15-2013, 07:51 PM
Look (http://www.politico.com/blogs/click/?ml=bl_cl) who's excited:

Who but that BSC! neo-Trotskyite would want to "save America as we know it," fascist disaster that it is.

That's strange since McCain has said that he's anti torture.

muh_roads
05-15-2013, 08:11 PM
So Bauer also kidnaps tyrannical presidents? Interesting. Maybe I'll watch for the first time.

They need an episode where he stops Obama from signing another drone executive order.

EBounding
05-15-2013, 08:23 PM

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs/110950_s.gif

Weston White
05-15-2013, 08:43 PM
That's strange since McCain has said that he's anti torture.

While, he may be anti-torture, but he is by no means neither anti-enhanced interrogation nor anti-kinetic action.

QueenB4Liberty
05-15-2013, 09:02 PM
I love 24! And I'm against torture. It's a tv show. However, I wouldn't be surprised if they did use drones and killing us civilians. Afterall, it's still hollywood. But I can't help love the show anyhow.

unknown
05-16-2013, 03:55 PM

I dont agree mostly because all too often it seems that government/establishment agendas seem to be advanced through the media, whether its TV shows, movies or the news.

Warlord
05-16-2013, 04:06 PM
I love 24! And I'm against torture. It's a tv show. However, I wouldn't be surprised if they did use drones and killing us civilians. Afterall, it's still hollywood. But I can't help love the show anyhow.

No, the drones will be used to take out the super dangerous terrorist... that's all we use them for... promise.*

*Sorry about this by the way:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datta_Khel_airstrike