PDA

View Full Version : The Daily Mail printed the 3D gun and took it on Eurostar

Warlord
05-13-2013, 03:58 AM
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/05/11/article-2323158-19BB0636000005DC-102_634x939.jpg

- Weapon capable of firing a live round smuggled on to packed Eurostar
- Reporters passed unchallenged through airport-style security
- Pistol produced using £1,700 ($2600) machine to 'print' its components

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/05/11/article-2323158-19BB0615000005DC-485_634x463.jpg

The Mail On Sunday today exposes the massive international security risk posed by a gun that can be easily made with new 3D printers.

We built the weapon, which is capable of firing a live round, from blueprints available on the internet – then smuggled it on to a packed Eurostar train.

Two reporters passed completely unchallenged through strict airport-style security to carry the gun on to a London to Paris service in the weekend rush-hour, alongside hundreds of unsuspecting travellers.

Once on board the packed 5.31pm Eurostar train on Friday, the reporters were able to assemble the pieces to create a fully functional firearm, and pose for pictures close to unsuspecting passengers.

The pistol, capable of firing a deadly 0.38-calibre bullet, was produced in under 36 hours using a revolutionary £1,700 machine to ‘print’ its components. And because all the parts are plastic, they did not trigger the metal detectors all Euro-star passengers must pass through.

Last night, the train operator began an urgent investigation into the security breach as experts called for airports and public buildings to review their procedures in light of our revelations.

Last night, security experts and politicians said they were horrified at the implications of our investigation. Lord West, the former Labour security Minister, called for a review to see how the ‘extremely dangerous’ weapons could be better detected.

But he said he was ‘not surprised’ that Eurostar checks had failed to spot the weapon because they were so hard to detect. He said: ‘What we need is a review of how we can look at these things and how we can discover them more easily. That will take work and it will cost money.

‘These weapons are extremely dangerous because they are very difficult to detect with the methods we normally use. This is going to be a real problem, no doubt about it. People are going to have to rethink whether we need more checks.’

More:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2323158/How-Mail-On-Sunday-printed-plastic-gun-UK--took-board-Eurostar-stopped-security-scandal.html#ixzz2TAJ8Bt3v
-

They didn't take the pin or the bullet on for "safety" reasons.

Wouldn't that have set off their detectors ?

green73
05-13-2013, 04:38 AM
http://www.ksvoboda.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/scared-to-death.png

tod evans
05-13-2013, 04:43 AM
Boogity-boogity....

PierzStyx
05-13-2013, 06:07 AM
ANy reason to strike fear in the hearts of people and milk them for a bit more money.

V3n
05-13-2013, 06:10 AM

So they were basically carrying a toy gun with no ability to harm anyone.. and they are trying to make people worry.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
05-13-2013, 06:10 AM

Dunno. I'm wondering what sort of charges they'll be facing.

Warlord
05-13-2013, 06:14 AM
ANy reason to strike fear in the hearts of people and milk them for a bit more money.

That's pretty much their schtick. They've mastered the art of doing that. As green73's pic hilariously shows.

jmdrake
05-13-2013, 06:14 AM
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/05/11/article-2323158-19BB0636000005DC-102_634x939.jpg

That's a good point. It depends on the sensitivity of the detectors. I have a belt that almost never sets off the courthouse metal detector, especially if I cover it with my hand as I walk through. (Not sure why that last bit helps). The firing pin is just a nail. As some shoes have nails in them, I can see that easily being waived through. But the bullet is another matter. I suppose you could hide one in a hollowed out shoe heel.

http://www.bop.gov/webimages/bgimages/museum/hallowedshoe.jpg

It is funny that they claim they didn't take the bullet and pin on the train for "safety reasons." If they were trying to make their point, they could have taken it on the train and simply not inserted the pin and the bullet. It's not like a bullet is going to go off by itself.

Warlord
05-13-2013, 06:18 AM
They can't get a bullet legally in the UK unless they co-ordinate their "investigation" with the police.

Origanalist
05-13-2013, 06:20 AM
It's not like a bullet is going to go off by itself.

You can never be sure about these things jm.

ronpaulfollower999
05-13-2013, 06:24 AM
You have to go through airport style security to board a train in Europe? Yikes.

Warlord
05-13-2013, 06:25 AM
Yeah the eurostar train which goes from London-Paris and Belgium

It crosses a border through a tunnel so they make you go through security and of course you need a passport.

Professor8000
05-13-2013, 06:27 AM
I'm assuming that since they said that it fired a .38 caliber round that the ammo is .380 ACP. Enough metal to set off metal detectors.

Matt Collins
05-13-2013, 06:32 AM
If they had taken a bullet with them, would that have triggered the metal detectors?

Also, why the hell are there metal detectors on trains? :confused:

Root
05-13-2013, 06:36 AM
The TSA would have found their toy, have no fear citizens.

Warlord
05-13-2013, 06:36 AM
If they had taken a bullet with them, would that have triggered the metal detectors?

Also, why the hell are there metal detectors on trains? :confused:

The eurostar goes through a tunnel across the English Channel from London to Paris and so crosses an international border.

Security and passport control is exactly the same as if you flew from one country to another.

Of course the fascists probably desire "airline security" for every train and coach trip.

Demigod
05-13-2013, 06:37 AM
For 2000+ Euros you can get an automatic AK straight from storage ( 500-600 euros ) + a hand gun (150-300 euros ) ,depending on where you are bombs go from 10 to 50 euros and bullets for an AK are 50 cents.For over 2000 euros you can arm your self a lot more than with a little plastic toy.You could do more damage with 2 hard plastic spikes than with this plastic gun.

If you are a reliable guy you could even get RPG's and some light artillery ( mortars ) .The only problem is that getting them to sell it you is hard because they would not like some madman getting the entire police and country on their back by doing something stupid.And even if they sell you something there is a pretty big chance they will report you to the police.

Matt Collins
05-13-2013, 06:52 AM
The eurostar goes through a tunnel across the English Channel from London to Paris and so crosses an international border.

Security and passport control is exactly the same as if you flew from one country to another.

Of course the fascists probably desire "airline security" for every train and coach trip.

Ah yes, I didn't realize that. Thanks for the info.

DGambler
05-13-2013, 06:59 AM
So, this gun fires 1 bullet, and 1 bullet only? Yes, it should strike fear into the passengers that a madman can sneak a single shooter on the train and kill... 1 person?

What a load of horse shit!

freejack
05-13-2013, 07:18 AM
Title should be changed to say "Morons print useless hunk of plastic and take it on a train".

Icymudpuppy
05-13-2013, 07:37 AM
I would make the firing pin out of a non-ferrous metal. Probably bronze. Non-ferrous metals don't set off detector as easily as ferrous ones. That's why so many belts can go through without problems. The bullet would probably not set off a detector either, being brass and lead.

pcosmar
05-13-2013, 07:38 AM
Title should be changed to say "Morons print useless hunk of plastic and take it on a train".

Harmless chunk of plastic.

Without a bullet and a firing pin. it is nothing.

However,, these have been around for years.
http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/urdefense_2261_40627915
http://www.defensedevices.com/cialetop.html

CIA Letter Opener, Non metallic knife
The CIA Letter Opener is non-metallic knife made of a resin/nylon mixture which makes it very tough and stiff. It does not bend easily and can be pounded through plywoood. It's also sharper than I expected. Overall length is 8 inches, the blade is 4 inches.
Waterproof, won't rust, keep one in your car, backpack, or stash it anywhere. It is very lightweight as well. You can constantly have it on you without fatigue. Its good to know you have a decent weapon should you be attacked. Even when you walk your dog or go to the store. There is hole on the end of the handle to string a lanyard if you wish or use as a tent peg, although its kind of short for that.. This non metal knife is very light, weighs about an ounce. Really does a number on those envelopes. What's wrong with having a plastic letter opener on you? Don't try to carry on an airplane.
CIA Letter Opener or Non-Metallic Knife
It is the buyer's responsibility to know the laws pertaining to these items in their state and local jurisdictions and to use these items only in a lawful manner. Please contact your local sources of legal advice for more specific information.

pcosmar
05-13-2013, 07:41 AM
I would make the firing pin out of a non-ferrous metal. Probably bronze. Non-ferrous metals don't set off detector as easily as ferrous ones. That's why so many belts can go through without problems. The bullet would probably not set off a detector either, being brass and lead.

Then metal detectors are misnamed. Bronze,,Brass and Lead are all metals.

As is aluminum,, Which many gun frames are already made of.

sailingaway
05-13-2013, 07:59 AM
yeah, people get past TSA all the time with the real thing, as I understand it. What makes this special?

luctor-et-emergo
05-13-2013, 08:07 AM
yeah, people get past TSA all the time with the real thing, as I understand it. What makes this special?

It's Europe...
People here get all white in their face when they see somebody with a gun, except off course if that person is wearing a magic blue hat in which case they feel even more secure. As I have heard from media here, EUROPOL is really worried about these printable guns. Why ? I don't know. Hardened criminals don't seem to have a big problem with obtaining fully automatic firearms here either. Maybe the real reason why they are worried is the same reason xenophobia is a crime in Europe... The peoples of Europe WILL unite into one federal state, it's the dream of these politicians and they WILL get what they want. They're worse than spoiled kids. Can't have an armed population when you force people to live inside an economic prison, they might fight it.

affa
05-13-2013, 08:20 AM
It's Europe...
As I have heard from media here, EUROPOL is really worried about these printable guns. Why ? I don't know. Hardened criminals don't seem to have a big problem with obtaining fully automatic firearms here either.

The media lies. EUROPOL isn't actually worried about these printable guns. They just claim to be in part of the effort to kick up public fear to push specific agendas. Look into what laws might be passed, and then you'll understand the actual motive.

Demigod
05-13-2013, 08:20 AM
It's Europe...
People here get all white in their face when they see somebody with a gun, except off course if that person is wearing a magic blue hat in which case they feel even more secure. As I have heard from media here, EUROPOL is really worried about these printable guns. Why ? I don't know. Hardened criminals don't seem to have a big problem with obtaining fully automatic firearms here either. Maybe the real reason why they are worried is the same reason xenophobia is a crime in Europe... The peoples of Europe WILL unite into one federal state, it's the dream of these politicians and they WILL get what they want. They're worse than spoiled kids. Can't have an armed population when you force people to live inside an economic prison, they might fight it.

The prices I put in the page before were for Europe.And the people of Europe will not unite into anything.Europe is now where Yugoslavia was in the late 70's and early 80's ,the last of the good times where everyone could be paid off to keep calm.As misery enters the door everything else will have to go trough the window.

luctor-et-emergo
05-13-2013, 08:30 AM
The prices I put in the page before were for Europe.And the people of Europe will not unite into anything.Europe is now where Yugoslavia was in the late 70's and early 80's ,the last of the good times where everyone could be paid off to keep calm.As misery enters the door everything else will have to go trough the window.
You are wrong there, all the established parties in national governments are pro-EU. If they have anti-Federalist tendencies they will be given a bone, such as one of their people in a high committee position, unelected off course. The thing is, federalization of Europe is inevitable, the constitution is there already and ratified. It's called a treaty but it acts as a constitution and usurps powers from the national governments. A direct income tax levied by Brussels is only a few years away and will be implemented under the guise of stabilization of the miracle called the EURO currency. The only thing that can stop further federalization of Europe is a total EURO currency collapse or civil war. 85% of new laws are made in Brussels, national parliaments are close to obsolete. Brussels is a very good scapegoat for them too, parties that will pretend to be somewhat Eurosceptic will blame bad regulation on Brussels and promise to do something about it. While in reality it was what they always wanted.

Don't think these politicians will give up on their 'dream' and their huge salaries, many unelected bureaucrats earn more than Obama, have full immunity from prosecution and pay no taxes. They will not put their dream aside, they just won't.

Demigod
05-13-2013, 08:35 AM
You are wrong there, all the established parties in national governments are pro-EU. If they have anti-Federalist tendencies they will be given a bone, such as one of their people in a high committee position, unelected off course. The thing is, federalization of Europe is inevitable, the constitution is there already and ratified. It's called a treaty but it acts as a constitution and usurps powers from the national governments. A direct income tax levied by Brussels is only a few years away and will be implemented under the guise of stabilization of the miracle called the EURO currency. The only thing that can stop further federalization of Europe is a total EURO currency collapse or civil war. 85% of new laws are made in Brussels, national parliaments are close to obsolete. Brussels is a very good scapegoat for them too, parties that will pretend to be somewhat Eurosceptic will blame bad regulation on Brussels and promise to do something about it. While in reality it was what they always wanted.

Don't think these politicians will give up on their 'dream' and their huge salaries, many unelected bureaucrats earn more than Obama, have full immunity from prosecution and pay no taxes. They will not put their dream aside, they just won't.

What you described is the same situation that was in Eastern Europe in the 1980`s.People who had complete power but still lost it in a matter of years.And of course there will be war,all empires end in blood.

luctor-et-emergo
05-13-2013, 08:42 AM
What you described is the same situation that was in Eastern Europe in the 1980`s.People who had complete power but still lost it in a matter of years.And of course there will be war,all empires end in blood.
Well I agree with you there, but there is still the German and other West-European economies that are still doing somewhat fine. I can't make a prediction on time but it seems like it will still last for a while. I hope I'm wrong though, the sooner it ends the better.

Grubb556
05-13-2013, 09:10 AM
Ahh, so an independant source has confirmed that it does work.

Anti Federalist
05-13-2013, 11:46 AM
Ban printers.

Ban computers.

Ban trains.

pcosmar
05-13-2013, 12:48 PM
Ban printers.

Ban computers.

Ban trains.

Ban Bans.

jmdrake
05-13-2013, 12:53 PM
You have to go through airport style security to board a train in Europe? Yikes.

In the good ole' USA TSA VIPER teams have started patting people down when they get off the train.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHWQuGmuTZw

Thus another Obama claim was shown to be a lie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWHM1_qx17U

jmdrake
05-13-2013, 12:59 PM
Harmless chunk of plastic.

Without a bullet and a firing pin. it is nothing.

However,, these have been around for years.
http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/urdefense_2261_40627915
http://www.defensedevices.com/cialetop.html

But it's not a g-g-gun!

Seriously, even with a bullet, Cody's gun can only kill one person as it's single shot. Okay, you can reload. But how long is that going to take? How many people on a crowded train could you kill with a knife in the same amount of time?

pcosmar
05-13-2013, 01:04 PM
http://www.nativewayonline.com/cave.htm
http://www.nativewayonline.com/caveman.gif

And for the new world prison.
Lockdown Prison Weapons Gallery
http://gizmodo.com/5853141/lockdown-prison-weapons-gallery/

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18ky5062ve4kyjpg/original.jpg

Peace Piper
05-13-2013, 01:20 PM
Yeah the eurostar train which goes from London-Paris and Belgium

It crosses a border through a tunnel so they make you go through security and of course you need a passport.

only because of the UK

The passport-free area of the European Union is known as the Schengen Area. If you hold a passport from one of the EU countries, you do not need to show a passport when traveling between countries within the Schengen zone

Certain countries in the European Union do not belong to the Schengen Area, and EU nationals must show their passports – or other valid national ID – when entering or exiting these countries. At the time of publication, European nationals had to show their IDs when entering or exiting the United Kingdom, Ireland, Cyprus, Bulgaria or Romania
http://traveltips.usatoday.com/europeans-need-passport-travel-between-countries-europe-105883.html

So if they boarded in Paris and traveled to Germany - no passport required.