05-12-2013, 06:04 PM
Dave Nalle is out. Matt Nye is in.

http://www.rlc.org/florida-man-elected-rlc-national-chair/

Here is his site: http://mattnye.com/matt-for-rlc-chair

TaftFan
05-12-2013, 06:16 PM
Live blogging from Clifford F. Thies:

RLC National Convention in Austin TX: Day 2

This is Clifford F. Thies, reporting from the Holiday Inn Midtown, in Austin, Texas, site of the 2013 National Convention Republican Liberty Caucus. (I think I've been to them all.) It's day 2 of the meeting. It got started yesterday, in the early evening. Panels on this and on that. Sorry, I didn't make it to any of them.

This morning began with a breakfast. Food and coffee. So I went. Did I mention coffee. I'm sort of guessing here, but it looks like about 200 people. A great speaker. A founder of a silver and copper coin business with an associated internet-based exchange or barter service. On the program, he's listed as "TBA." Hey, in business, if it works, don't mess with it.

Then there were a couple sets of breakout sessions. During the first set, I went to one on chapter organizing. Thee dynamic ladies. One from Pennsylvania, one from Washington state, and the other from Texas. (You always have to says "state" after Washington it it's not D.C.) During the second, I went to a discussion of religion and liberty. It featured an independent movie producer for evangelical Christian programming, a member of Muslims for Freedom, and a member of the Church of the Latter Day Saints ("Mormons").

Then there was lunch. A buffet-style sandwich spread. No coffee. Even though they were coffee cups on the table. The speaker was Jack Hunter, new media liaison for Senator Rand Paul. A very articulate spokesperson. 29 years old. Let's see, later today there's the business meeting, more breakout sessions, and dinner with Congressman Steve Stockman.

Sorry, I have to go now. I think there's a Starbucks in the building.

Yesterday, at 3 pm, the business meeting of the 2013 National Convention of the Republican Liberty Caucus got started. At 6 pm, when that meeting was supposed to have ended, it had not yet gotten past the credentials report. They had a very difficult time figuring out how votes were to be taken under their new rules.

At 7 pm, when dinner was supposed to get underway, they were conducting the votes on two amendments to the by-laws, neither of which passed. In the meanwhile, our barbecue was getting cold and Congressman Steve Stockman was sitting by himself in the dining room. Needless to say, when the business meeting was called back into order after dinner, Dave Nalle was not re-elected National Chairman.

During the credentialling, it became clear this was a new RLC. First, only three "old timers" were present: me, Laura Crockett of New Jersey and Jeff Palmer of North Carolina. Second, the five largest delegations in terms of votes (which was based on membership) included Washington state (#1), Minnesota (#3) and Nebraska (#5). (California, #2, and Florida, #5, rounded out the top five; and, Texas come in Number 6). Alaska, Idaho and Maine were other delegations with large numbers of votes relative to the size of their population.

The suddenly big state chapters reflect the drive of certain new wave libertarians - call them Ron Paul libertarians - in consolidating liberty-minded Republicans within the GOP of their states. If you will recall from the 2012 campaign, Alaska, Idaho, Maine, Washington and Minnesota were caucus states, where Ron Paul not only did very well, but his supporters continued working, picking up delegates, after the news media turned its attention to other developments in the Presidential race, and especially after Rick Santorum dropped out.

When the officers were finally elected, at a business meeting that only concluded at midnight, Matt Nye of Florida became the new National Chairman, and replacing him as National Treasurer was Norann Dillon of Minnesota. Winning the straw poll for President by a wide margin was Senator Rand Paul of Kentucky, with Senator Ted Cruz of Texas and Judge Andrew Napolitano of New Jersey coming in second and third. The next RLC National Convention will be in Portland, Maine, in 2015.

sailingaway
05-12-2013, 06:55 PM
glad Nalle is out. Don't know Nye, though.

TaftFan
05-12-2013, 07:00 PM
glad Nalle is out. Don't know Nye, though.

I didn't like the inability to run a good website, as well as needless anti-Christian rants on facebook.

Krzysztof Lesiak
05-12-2013, 07:44 PM
Bad website, anti-Christian rants? Good thing Nalle is out.

Seriously, the RLC website is fucking ATROCIOUS. Maybe new chair Nye will want to fix that.

Krzysztof Lesiak
05-12-2013, 07:44 PM
Bad website, anti-Christian rants? Good thing Nalle is out.

Seriously, the RLC website is fucking ATROCIOUS. Maybe new chair Nye will want to fix that.