PDA

View Full Version : NC-Family calls cops over lewd pictures sent to their 13 y/o. Cop shows up, horror ensues

Anti Federalist
05-12-2013, 04:10 PM
This is an older and ongoing case, that I don't recall coming across before...

And if some outraged father or family member caught this asshole cop in the act and shot him down, what do you suppose would happen?

Raped Girl Sues Town That Hired Cop

By KEVIN KOENINGER

http://www.courthousenews.com/2013/04/04/56361.htm

BOLIVIA, N.C. (CN) - A small-town North Carolina cop raped a 13-year-old girl while on duty, and the town hired him without any psychological screening after he had raped an 11-year-old, the teenager claims in court.

Guardian ad litem James W. McGee Jr. sued the Town of Navassa, its Mayor Eulis A. Willis, the Navassa Police Department and former Police Chief Copelen L. Taylor, in state court.

Former Officer Jaymin Lenwood Murphy was sentenced in December 2010 to 41 years in prison for sexual offenses against the two girls mentioned in this complaint, according to the Wilmington Star News. In a plea deal, the sentencing judge dismissed three counts of rape and two counts of indecent liberties with a minor, the Star News reported.

The new complaint, originally filed in New Hanover County but transferred to Brunswick County, claims: "That due to the failure of the Town of Navassa to adequately supervise Officer Jaymin Lenwood Murphy and his 'investigation' activities, he was able to have repeated, unfettered contact with the minor child and her family - a perfect environment for Officer Murphy to intimidate the grandmother and mother of the minor child and sexually abuse the minor child.

"That based upon information and belief, Officer Murphy's personal relationship with the Chief of Police contributed to his hiring without adequate screening and allowed Officer Murphy to fail to account for his whereabouts and use of equipment, except in a most haphazard manner."

The complaint claims the plaintiff G.H. is not the first girl Murphy raped - though Murphy is not named as a defendant.

"In or around 2005, Jaymin Lenwood Murphy began engaging in sexual intercourse with his then-live-in-girlfriend's 11-year-old daughter," the complaint states. "Murphy, then employed as a cab driver, had sex with the pre-teen girl multiple times before moving out of his girlfriend's home in 2007.

"Somehow, in or about August of 2008, Jaymin Lenwood Murphy secured a job as a police officer with the Navassa Police Department.

"Within 16 months, Officer Murphy was raping another child, this time while on-duty, in the course and scope of his duties as a Navassa Police Officer.

"In December of 2009, Officer Murphy was assigned by the Navassa Police Department to investigate accusations that the boyfriend of the [plaintiff] minor child's aunt had sent inappropriate pictures to the minor child. Officer Murphy visited the minor child, then 13 years old, at her grandmother's home in Navassa, in his squad car, in uniform, and demanded the family allow him to question the minor child in private, in a bedroom. Behind the bedroom's closed door, Officer Murphy told the minor child that 'investigators required photos of her to compare the images sent to her cell phone.' Officer Murphy then instructed the minor child to remove her clothing so he could take pictures of her genitals and breasts, and then, when the minor child complied under coercion, he did so."

Murphy visited the girl again on her 14th birthday and "represented that he was working in a joint investigation with the FBI involving the text messaging offense and that the mother, grandmother and minor child would be arrested if they disclosed his visits to anyone," the complaint states.

It continues: "This time, behind closed doors, Officer Murphy told the minor child that he needed to conduct a 'pressure test' to determine if she had been sexually active. When the minor child informed Officer Murphy that she had not been sexually active, he forced her to submit herself to him. On his town-issued cell phone, now in the possession of the Brunswick County Sheriff's Department, Officer Murphy recorded himself having nonconsensual sexual intercourse with the confused, betrayed and horrified minor child."

The girl says that Murphy "threatened her mother and herself with jail" so she "was too terrified and traumatized by her rape to report it to anyone."

She felt safe enough to do so only after she "saw the news report of the arrest of Officer Murphy for another sexual assault of an earlier victim(s) (his aforementioned ex-girlfriend's daughter)," according to the complaint. (Parentheses in complaint.)

The girl and her guardian claim the defendants "hired Jaymin Lenwood Murphy as a police officer in August of 2009, without a competent psychological screening examination and without any other sort of reasonable, psychological fitness assessment/pre-screening, and without otherwise subjecting Jaymin Lenwood Murphy to the minimum prophylactive screening/vetting and certification processes required by applicable North Carolina general statutes and other applicable standards of care."

They add that "if the defendants had had the resources and/or the inclination to make reasonable efforts to assess the emotional/psychological fitness of their police officer candidates as required by minimal statutory and other applicable standards of care, Jaymin Lenwood Murphy would never have been a Navassa Police Officer. And, if Jaymin Lenwood Murphy were not a Navassa Police Officer, the minor child would not have been raped."

The girl seeks compensatory and punitive damages for negligent hiring, supervision and retention.

The girl is represented by Michael Davenport of Wilmington, N.C

shane77m
05-12-2013, 09:09 PM
And if some outraged father or family member caught this asshole cop in the act and shot him down, what do you suppose would happen?

Many things I could say but worrying about the consequences would probably be the furthest thing from my mind.

jmdrake
05-12-2013, 09:26 PM
Damn! Loss for words. :( :mad:

phill4paul
05-12-2013, 10:01 PM

Hopefully, no direct evidence of disappearance.

Anti Federalist
05-12-2013, 10:06 PM
Wonder who downvoted?

thoughtomator
05-12-2013, 10:08 PM
the shocker here is that a cop was actually prosecuted for breaking a law

TheTexan
05-12-2013, 10:12 PM
On his town-issued cell phone, now in the possession of the Brunswick County Sheriff's Department, Officer Murphy recorded himself having nonconsensual sexual intercourse with the confused, betrayed and horrified minor child."

Interesting. It looks like there IS a line that some cops won't cross, in destroying evidence to protect their own.

phill4paul
05-12-2013, 10:16 PM
Wonder who downvoted?

Honestly? I'll reset the course then.

Anti Federalist
05-12-2013, 10:18 PM
Honestly? I'll reset the course then.

LOL - I've got my suspicions.

Anti Federalist
05-12-2013, 10:19 PM
Interesting. It looks like there IS a line that some cops won't cross, in destroying evidence to protect their own.

Raping children and taking pictures of it...that line is pretty far out there.

If he had just grenaded her in a wrong address SWAT raid he would have got a medal.

jclay2
05-12-2013, 10:24 PM

The bar has been lowered way too far. We need james cameron!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4VA1ORhkgQ

The Free Hornet
05-13-2013, 12:05 AM
Wonder who downvoted?

I don't ever notice the stars until somebody mentions them on the thread. Could they be down voting rape???

No offense, but if I did do Fedbook/Scroogle, this wouldn't get a "Like"/"+1" from me.

J_White
05-13-2013, 12:35 AM
the silver lining is that at least child abusing "peace" officers will be prosecuted !
though if they had shot someone mistakenly or harassed someone or used excessive force, they would have only got a paid vacation.

WhistlinDave
05-13-2013, 12:41 AM
Regarding the voting on the thread... I think some people express their feelings about the content this way. (They don't like what the cop did so they give him one star. I know, strange.) It happens a lot on YouTube... Someone who is against war will post a speech of some war mongering politician, and the video gets a ton of thumbs down from people who don't like what the politician is saying, even though the video was posted in order to expose and criticize him for it. Just a thought, for whatever it's worth. I would think most people here have better "voting etiquette" than that, but you never know.

On the more important matter -- the story -- I sincerely hope she wins her case, and even more than that, I hope this cop is thrown into the general population in prison and the guards there give him lots of alone time with his new "friends." The other inmates don't like cops, and they dislike cops who abuse their power even more. And there's something they hate far more than either of those: child predators.

41 years is a long time so I hope his sentence is reduced -- by his fellow inmates. (But only after they have some fun with him.)

phill4paul
05-13-2013, 12:48 AM
Regarding the voting on the thread... I think some people express their feelings about the content this way. (They don't like what the cop did so they give him one star. I know, strange.) It happens a lot on YouTube... Someone who is against war will post a speech of some war mongering politician, and the video gets a ton of thumbs down from people who don't like what the politician is saying, even though the video was posted in order to expose and criticize him for it. Just a thought, for whatever it's worth. I would think most people here have better "voting etiquette" than that, but you never know.

On the more important matter -- the story -- I sincerely hope she wins her case, and even more than that, I hope this cop is thrown into the general population in prison and the guards there give him lots of alone time with his new "friends." The other inmates don't like cops, and they dislike cops who abuse their power even more. And there's something they hate far more than either of those: child predators.

41 years is a long time so I hope his sentence is reduced -- by his fellow inmates. (But only after they have some fun with him.)

That's kinda fucked up. I GET the "retribution" "eye for an eye" mentality. But, I don't ever wish rape on anyone. Just as I oppose the death penalty because of those that have been proven innocent after years on death row then I don't condone this. If the consequence of rape is a buggering in jail then just make it a part of the sentence and televise it.

newbitech
05-13-2013, 12:49 AM
is there a mug shot of this creeper?

tod evans
05-13-2013, 01:59 AM
is there a mug shot of this creeper?

http://wsfx.images.worldnow.com/images/12008701_BG1.jpg

Professor8000
05-13-2013, 03:40 AM
I have a strong suspicion that the line for cops is when one begins to endanger the protected status, within the community, of the other police officers in the department. I honestly believe that murder, in general, is less outrageous to the general population than child molestation, because many people can see themselves being justified in killing someone, but would have a very violent and protective response to someone violating children. Also, it is likely that other officers would have this response. That is why it doesn't surprise me that he was prosecuted and jailed for this. Had the police protected him and the DA refused to file charges, you would have very likely seen the whole sale slaughter of the local law enforcement because of the sheer outrageousness of the act. Had it been my daughter, even if he was in police custody, he would have caught several high velocity projectiles through vital areas of his body.

Edit: There was the whole catholic church thing, and this makes me wonder if there was no major response from the community because the church kept it quiet for so long. Damn, now I'm wondering if people wouldn't act violently to this. That thought makes me sad. Hell, I would be violent enough for several people though.

WhistlinDave
05-13-2013, 11:49 AM
That's kinda fucked up. I GET the "retribution" "eye for an eye" mentality. But, I don't ever wish rape on anyone. Just as I oppose the death penalty because of those that have been proven innocent after years on death row then I don't condone this. If the consequence of rape is a buggering in jail then just make it a part of the sentence and televise it.

I don't wish rape on anyone either... Except on a rapist. Death penalty is a different story; there are multiple reasons why I don't support that. But imho someone who rapes a child is worse than most murderers (except torture killers perhaps) because a murderer kills someone, and then the suffering for the victim is over. But a child rapist has just put that child through something that will take years to undo the damage from, if not longer. She's damaged goods, and even once she gets over it, that kid will never be the same again, the rest of her life.

I wouldn't have it in me to personally give him whatever punishment he has coming, but I believe Karma is the law of the Universe. He is going to get his one way or the other regardless of what I think. Knowing what he's done, I do hope he suffers for it. I hope he thinks of what he did to both of these girls while he's being brutalized. If that makes me sadistic, so be it. I guess when it comes to some things I'm just not as compassionate of a person as I should be.

Philhelm
05-13-2013, 12:15 PM
I wouldn't have it in me to personally give him whatever punishment he has coming...

I don't believe that one should call for certain forms of justice unless they would be willing to carry out the sentence themselves.

WhistlinDave
05-13-2013, 12:17 PM
I don't believe that one should call for certain forms of justice unless they would be willing to carry out the sentence themselves.

You're probably right. But... Do you buy meat at the grocery store, or do you only eat that which you kill yourself, skin, and butcher? Just curious.

fisharmor
05-13-2013, 12:21 PM
I don't wish rape on anyone either... Except on a rapist.

It still amounts to revenge, and doesn't address the victim at all.

Now, if this guy was rented out, and the victim got 80% of the revenues, well, that's more in the right direction, IMO.

heavenlyboy34
05-13-2013, 12:41 PM
It still amounts to revenge, and doesn't address the victim at all.

Now, if this guy was rented out, and the victim got 80% of the revenues, well, that's more in the right direction, IMO.
True, which is why the regime should not be trusted with the death penalty. If it were my daughter that was raped, however, I would be inclined to beat him very near to death on top of punitive monetary compensation.

btw, the girl is probably going to need therapy for a very long time, perhaps for life. The perp should be forced to pay for that.

brooks009
05-13-2013, 01:19 PM
Why would any parent let their child talk to a cop alone!!

I was once pulled aside in high school and questioned by a cop. My Dad found out and gave both the school and the cop hell for questioning me without a parent present.

This is so sad.

The Free Hornet
05-13-2013, 01:29 PM
I don't wish rape on anyone either... Except on a rapist. Death penalty is a different story; there are multiple reasons why I don't support that. But imho someone who rapes a child is worse than most murderers (except torture killers perhaps) because a murderer kills someone, and then the suffering for the victim is over. But a child rapist has just put that child through something that will take years to undo the damage from, if not longer. She's damaged goods, and even once she gets over it, that kid will never be the same again, the rest of her life.

Who on this deserves to be prison raped?

According to a police papers, Swogger admitted to having sex with a 17-year-old boy and asked police, “How serious is that?” The one-time exotic dancer resigned Feb. 25, 2008. Swogger accepted a 3- to-6-year jail term that included a 36-year probation on May 26, 2009. “I’m sorry I was not the role model I should have been. I’m really sorry,” she told the judge.

The big list: Female teachers with students

http://www.wnd.com/images/headshots/abbiejaneswogger1.jpg (http://www.wnd.com/2013/04/39783/)

More so, whom do we allow to rape these people? Will they stop raping when we tell them to stop? Will they take that habit to the outside?

This is not to defend monsters and without knowing the stats on the issue, consider:

In one study, for example, seventy-four percent of women who had intercourse before age fourteen and sixty percent of those who had sex before age fifteen report having had a forced sexual experience.

www.cnn.com/2004/LAW/02/13/findlaw.analysis.colb.statutory.rape/ (http://www.cnn.com/2004/LAW/02/13/findlaw.analysis.colb.statutory.rape/)

This implies not only that 26% & 40% were consensual but also possibly that there is huge-ass jump in consent in the 14-15 age area. Imagine that?! Also study is flawed as it only considered girls.

Anyway, without "going there" to open up this can of worms, I'll submit that we ought not even be raping rapers. It does us zero benefit and possibly those most likely to deserve it are most likely to enjoy it too.

You make a good argument about not wanting to mess up children, however, what is the age limit at which one cannot fuck people up in prison??? I.e., why the callous disregard for rights based on age? IMO, due process should include rights of appeal and compensation for damages in prison. Whose money are you going to take to compensate victims of state rape?

sluggo
05-13-2013, 02:13 PM
Navassa is not too far from where I live.

This story isn't really surprising to me. The entire town is run by retards and crooks.

Anti Federalist
05-13-2013, 02:23 PM
Navassa is not too far from where I live.

This story isn't really surprising to me. The entire town is run by retards and crooks.

That bad huh?

Other examples?

sluggo
05-13-2013, 02:28 PM
Take your pick:

http://tinyurl.com/bmuej2t
Every time I hear about the town on the news, my immediate thought is "Holy shit I am glad I don't live there."

nobody's_hero
05-13-2013, 02:37 PM
I don't ever notice the stars until somebody mentions them on the thread. Could they be down voting rape???

No offense, but if I did do Fedbook/Scroogle, this wouldn't get a "Like"/"+1" from me.

Yeah this is one of those stories where you don't know whether to like it for having it pointed out or dislike it because the content disgusts you.

Ron Paul does this all the time and it's really quite frustrating.

For example, he'll say something like 'The Fed is a tyrannical, unaccountable organization which erodes free market principles' and you're stuck wondering if you should clap because Ron's telling the truth or boo because well the Fed is a tyrannical, unaccountable organization which erodes free market principles.

LibForestPaul
05-13-2013, 04:33 PM
the shocker here is that a cop was actually prosecuted for breaking a law

Only to save the states face. What would it say if he were not vigorously prosecuted and the family took matters into own hands?