PDA

View Full Version : Should Police Enforce ALL Laws? POLL

IndianaPolitico
05-12-2013, 01:50 PM
A poll asking if police officers have to enforce all laws, or only those that are constitutional. Mainly in regards to anti 2nd amendment legislation. Scroll down for poll: http://goshennews.com/

thoughtomator
05-12-2013, 01:54 PM
If the police enforced all laws, we (Americans) would all be in jail.

TheTexan
05-12-2013, 02:04 PM

The police themselves would all be in jail too, I'm sure they break more laws than we do

JK/SEA
05-12-2013, 02:05 PM

what do you think the call for border fences means?
:eek:

Expatriate
05-12-2013, 02:58 PM
Voted

Authoritarians are winning

No, police should work to enforce all laws (37 votes)
Yes, there are times officers should have some discretion (35 votes)

Anti Federalist
05-12-2013, 03:06 PM

That's how it's gonna be in the end.

Shit, it's become a open air Panopticon Prison anyway...

phill4paul
05-12-2013, 03:20 PM
That's how it's gonna be in the end.

Shit, it's become a open air Panopticon Prison anyway...

Great word find.

pan•op•ti•con (pćnˈɒp tɪˌkɒn)

n.
a building, as a prison or library, so arranged that all parts of the interior are visible from a single point.

Thanks for that. And yes...it has.

phill4paul
05-12-2013, 03:22 PM
Voted

Authoritarians are winning

By authoritarians do you mean those that believe police should enforce all laws all the time or those that believe cops should get to discriminate by their personal whims?

IndianaPolitico
05-12-2013, 03:32 PM
By authoritarians do you mean those that believe police should enforce all laws all the time or those that believe cops should get to discriminate by their personal whims?

The question is in reference to a county sheriff who said he wouldn't not confiscate guns from the people, even if the feds told him too.

Anti Federalist
05-12-2013, 03:38 PM
By all means, enforce all laws, bring all people into compliance.

Go ahead...I dare you...asshole cops couldn't do it.

There are millions of laws, tens of millions of codes and regulations, many in contradiction with each other.

Go ahead, enforce 'em all...I'll wait.

phill4paul
05-12-2013, 03:42 PM
Um, the question is in reference to a county sheriff who said he wouldn't not confiscate guns from the people, even if the feds told him too.

Would he do it if the county laws required it? Would he discriminate in his enforcement of county laws? Perhaps it is the laws that are the problem. No? Someone with a badge is no different to me than my nearest neighbor or the random individuals I encounter on a daily basis. While most fawn over "Constitution" law enforcers I'd rather just be rid of them. Too many damn laws as it is. I know sheriffs that jump up and down and preach about protecting their constituents from 2nd amendment encroachements that have no problem knocking heads over a simple marijuana possession. F' em. All.

DamianTV
05-12-2013, 03:44 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cp069Y_P-9M

This is how Liberty dies. With Thunderous Applause.

IndianaPolitico
05-12-2013, 03:53 PM
Would he do it if the county laws required it? Would he discriminate in his enforcement of county laws? Perhaps it is the laws that are the problem. No? Someone with a badge is no different to me than my nearest neighbor or the random individuals I encounter on a daily basis. While most fawn over "Constitution" law enforcers I'd rather just be rid of them. Too many damn laws as it is. I know sheriffs that jump up and down and preach about protecting their constituents from 2nd amendment encroachements that have no problem knocking heads over a simple marijuana possession. F' em. All.

You need to google "Sheriff Brad Rogers"....

SeanTX
05-12-2013, 04:09 PM
I wish they would enforce all laws -- then the self-righteous "law and order" types would be criminals also (there are so many laws on the books you'd have to be super-human to not be a law breaker, or be a cop and thus exempt from the law) .

pcosmar
05-12-2013, 04:19 PM
Police should not exist in a free society.

Not a poll option :(

kcchiefs6465
05-12-2013, 04:31 PM

There are millions of laws, tens of millions of codes and regulations, many in contradiction with each other.

With all due respect though, they do. If they catch you or you are an 'annoyance' to their [supposed] power and superiority (you assert your rights) you will be charged with something. In the Midwest I definitely know this to be true. They'll charge you with 6-10 misdemeanors on a simple stop knowing full damn well half of them will be dropped outright. They probably have a checklist or a flowchart.

Did he say you need a warrant to search his vehicle?

No- Rip his car to shreds
Yes- Obstructing justice

and so forth.

It's outrageous. Ignorance of the law is becoming more and more of a defense though they'd never let it slide.

cajuncocoa
05-12-2013, 04:36 PM
Thing is, it's not up to the cops to interpret the laws ... it's up to the legislators to pass laws and the courts to decide constitutionality. I don't see how the cops have much of a choice.

phill4paul
05-12-2013, 04:37 PM
You need to google "Sheriff Brad Rogers"....

If marijuana laws are loosened or eliminated, “I think we’re going to open up to other problems,” he (Sheriff Brad Rogers) warned.

http://blogs.etruth.com/county-buzz/2011/02/01/elkhart-co-sheriff-jail-isnt-for-marijuana-users/

'Nuff said.

kcchiefs6465
05-12-2013, 04:38 PM
Thing is, it's not up to the cops to interpret the laws ... it's up to the legislators to pass laws and the courts to decide constitutionality. I don't see how the cops have much of a choice.
They can refuse the job.

kcchiefs6465
05-12-2013, 04:40 PM
Quite honestly I'd rather have them paving roads than being on the street harrassing motorists.

But then how would they generate money to harrass more motorists?

muh_roads
05-12-2013, 04:41 PM

Click your state at the top. http://www.dumblaws.com/

kcchiefs6465
05-12-2013, 04:46 PM
http://blogs.etruth.com/county-buzz/2011/02/01/elkhart-co-sheriff-jail-isnt-for-marijuana-users/

'Nuff said.
On a completely unrelated note, I used to smoke weed with the old Sheriff. He was a friend of the family to a friend of mine. I thought he was joking when he told me he was the Sheriff. Sure enough a year or so later I see a sticker on a gas pump with him on it. Some 'click it or ticket' bs. I'm sure he busted quite a few people for smoking. I was about 14 at the time so the hypocrisy was strong with him.

Regina Tasca
Frank Serpico

And I draw blanks after that.

DamianTV
05-12-2013, 04:49 PM
Click your state at the top. http://www.dumblaws.com/

CA - No vehicle without a driver may exceed 60 miles per hour.

Really? So um, who gets the ticket if there is no DRIVER?

bolil
05-12-2013, 04:55 PM
Well, what is a law? What is the purpose of a law? To give teeth to a widely recognized sentiment? Or should a law be but recognition of a simple truth: If there is a victim, there is a crime.

Any law that falls, solely, into the former category I regard as suspect. Any that falls into the latter I regard as obvious. Obvious laws should be enforced, and each among us should be deputies in that cause. Oh the cursory blatherings of a idealistic naught.

muh_roads
05-12-2013, 04:56 PM
CA - No vehicle without a driver may exceed 60 miles per hour.

Really? So um, who gets the ticket if there is no DRIVER?

Oh they get worse. The old laws on the books are hilarious.

Danan
05-12-2013, 05:15 PM
The police should only protect property and enforce legitimate contracts (not BS like the "Social Contract"). And they should not have any special privilege over any other person.

pcosmar
05-12-2013, 05:31 PM
The police should only protect property and enforce legitimate contracts (not BS like the "Social Contract"). And they should not have any special privilege over any other person.

Then,, what would be the purpose of a uniform and shiny badge..??

The police uniform and badge makers would be out of business. :eek: :rolleyes:

torchbearer
05-12-2013, 05:41 PM
I know that in Louisiana, the courts have backed an idea called "officer discretion". meaning a cop doesn't have to enforce any laws. he decides.
this was taught in the criminal justice classes i took that was taught by a former drug enforcer.
he even used examples like- you catch some kid a public bathroom smoking pot- you don't have to arrest the kid. you could take the drug away from him, scare the shit out of him about the consequences, and send him on his way.

i believe all police officers have discretion on what they enforce.
therefore, if they enforce immoral laws, they do so willingly.

Tod
05-12-2013, 05:45 PM

'Nuff said.

Originally Posted by IndianaPolitico http://www.ronpaulforums.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?p=5020661#post5020661) You need to google "Sheriff Brad Rogers"....

If marijuana laws are loosened or eliminated, “I think we’re going to open up to other problems,” he (Sheriff Brad Rogers) warned.

'Nuff said.

I agree, and I've never used and don't intend to ever use marijuana, but Sheriff Rogers is not being consistent. He clearly just wants to enforce laws that he likes, unfortunately. But freedom means having to tolerate people engaging in habits that you disapprove of.

Thaddaeus
05-12-2013, 05:55 PM
I considered law enforcement briefly after I graduated from uni and (shockingly) couldn't find work with a B.A. in history, because I'm very much driven by the idea of public service. I wanted to be the neighborhood "Officer Friendly" helping people...but I had zero interest in being some Authority who enforces traffic signals and harasses people for growing marijuana. I figured with the camera on patrol cruisers, I couldn't get away with exercising discretion, because I would be filmed in the course of the stop. I also assume police departments have some psychological test to suss out people who have a problem with authority and conformity.

phill4paul
05-12-2013, 07:01 PM
I know that in Louisiana, the courts have backed an idea called "officer discretion". meaning a cop doesn't have to enforce any laws. he decides.
this was taught in the criminal justice classes i took that was taught by a former drug enforcer.
he even used examples like- you catch some kid a public bathroom smoking pot- you don't have to arrest the kid. you could take the drug away from him, scare the shit out of him about the consequences, and send him on his way.

i believe all police officers have discretion on what they enforce.
therefore, if they enforce immoral laws, they do so willingly.

Example: You catch a well politically placed police supporter driving drunk AND driving dangerously- you don't have to arrest the public official. Excoriate the hell out of him, scare the shit out of him about the consequences, insure additional political support and send him on his way

No thank you. Don't need no Justustificator with a badge.

Origanalist
05-12-2013, 07:19 PM

I was thinking just that same thing.

phill4paul
05-12-2013, 07:26 PM
I figured with the camera on patrol cruisers, I couldn't get away with exercising discretion, because I would be filmed in the course of the stop.

Why would you exercise discretion? Your job would be to uphold "the law" would it not? Or do you think cops should be judges? Isn't the correct order..cops arrest...judges adjudicate? Where does a jury of peers fit in that equation?

fisharmor
05-12-2013, 07:37 PM

My thoughts exactly.... there is no non-authoritarian answer for the poll, so I don't see how the authoritarians can lose.

Henry Rogue
05-12-2013, 07:41 PM
Why would you exercise discretion? Your job would be to uphold "the law" would it not? Or do you think cops should be judges? Isn't the correct order..cops arrest...judges adjudicate? Where does a jury of peers fit in that equation?I remember one of Judge Nap's shows, he described a case where an adolescent was hit by a car while jaywalking. A cop gave the adolescent's mother the ticket while she was in the hospital with her comatose child. Judge Nap argued that the cop should have exercised discretion.

IndianaPolitico
05-12-2013, 07:48 PM

'Nuff said.

Slightly out of context...

Title: Elkhart Co. sheriff: Jail isn’t for marijuana users
Full quote: "If marijuana laws are loosened or eliminated, “I think we’re going to open up to other problems,” he warned.
Whatever the case, if Indiana officials want to look into the topic, “I’m open for debate on it,” he said.

And if you lived in Elkhart County as I do, you would know that the Elkhart Truth isn't the most reliable source for the truth. In other articles and interviews more recently he has been open to state nullification of drug laws and elimination of all federal drug laws.

fisharmor
05-12-2013, 07:50 PM
Well, what is a law? What is the purpose of a law? To give teeth to a widely recognized sentiment? Or should a law be but recognition of a simple truth: If there is a victim, there is a crime.

Any law that falls, solely, into the former category I regard as suspect. Any that falls into the latter I regard as obvious. Obvious laws should be enforced, and each among us should be deputies in that cause. Oh the cursory blatherings of a idealistic naught.

No, not blatherings. Not when you and I both - and lots more here - believe the same things here.
Keep "blathering", constantly. It's the only way we're going to get through.
People are brought up in this country and taught things about "law" and "enforcement" and "public safety" and a bunch of other dogmas that, when you spend even a minute thinking hard about them, have less actual evidence to support them than religions do.

Law doesn't mean what everyone thinks. Justice doesn't mean what everyone thinks. And these days, Toto is pulling back the curtain, showing us all that Mr. Constitutional Professor who snuck into the White House actually doesn't have the first clue about what justice means.

I think that what everyone thinks of as "law" is an excellent place to hit 'em. Everyone from the Tea Party partisan assholes to the kidney-sniffing greenie weenies. It's surprisingly easy to show them that our system is based on the state exacting revenge instead of attempting justice for the wronged party, and then you've got 'em.

Henry Rogue
05-12-2013, 08:01 PM
If Rule of Law is established at a governance inception, why would a government need the ability to create any further laws? The ability to continuously make news laws is unnecessary. Not really related to thread, but I have never seen this asked.

phill4paul
05-12-2013, 08:26 PM
Slightly out of context...

Title: Elkhart Co. sheriff: Jail isn’t for marijuana users
Full quote: "If marijuana laws are loosened or eliminated, “I think we’re going to open up to other problems,” he warned.
Whatever the case, if Indiana officials want to look into the topic, “I’m open for debate on it,” he said.

And if you lived in Elkhart County as I do, you would know that the Elkhart Truth isn't the most reliable source for the truth. In other articles and interviews more recently he has been open to state nullification of drug laws and elimination of all federal drug laws.

So. He picks and chooses which laws to enforce. No? If he selectively enforces local, state or federal law then what is his purpose?

Origanalist
05-12-2013, 08:50 PM
If Rule of Law is established at a governance inception, why would a government need the ability to create any further laws? The ability to continuously make news laws is unnecessary. Not really related to thread, but I have never seen this asked.

Oh no, you don't understand, they aren't really creating new laws. they are just re-interpreting the old ones to adjust to current reality, political reality and the ever changing nature of humanity.

Dogsoldier
05-12-2013, 09:12 PM
Is it possible to become a police officer and follow the constitution? I thought about getting into law enforcement and actually doing that. "That's a nice gun you have there" "I'm not gonna arrest you or take it away because you have the right to carry it if you want" ...be careful sir and have a nice day!

Sir I don't care if you have drugs I'm just looking for a lil girl that went missing. Someone said they seen her here and I am serving a warrant to search your property. Whether or not you have drugs here is none of my business. If we find no evidence of the girl here then you have nothing to worry about...

You know something along those lines. I really think a lot more people would consent to searches and would cooperate if we had cops like this.

bolil
05-12-2013, 09:17 PM
Is it possible to become a police officer and follow the constitution? I thought about getting into law enforcement and actually doing that. "That's a nice gun you have there" "I'm not gonna arrest you or take it away because you have the right to carry it if you want" ...be careful sir and have a nice day!

Sir I don't care if you have drugs I'm just looking for a lil girl that went missing. Someone said they seen her here and I am serving a warrant to search your property. Whether or not you have drugs here is none of my business. If we find no evidence of the girl here then you have nothing to worry about...

You know something along those lines. I really think a lot more people would consent to searches and would cooperate if we had cops like this.

Yeah, but then there are quotas to be made, 'peers' to appease, and a paycheck to collect.

BTW, that second one... any sane person would undestand that to mean: I think you have drugs, but I don't want you to exercise your rights so, "I am just looking for little girl..."

TheTexan
05-12-2013, 09:40 PM

Being a "good cop" is against policy and is grounds to get you fired, but more importantly, being a "good cop" pisses off every other cop in your dept and will be the real reason you'd get fired.

Good cops don't last long in the force.

kcchiefs6465
05-12-2013, 09:43 PM
When a post says autosaved, how do you find it?

Plus rep if someone can let me know.

kcchiefs6465
05-12-2013, 09:52 PM
Makes a few good points.

"I mean, you call something a war, and pretty soon everybody's gonna be running around acting like warriors."

"And when you're at war, you need a fuckin enemy. And pretty soon, damn near everybody on every corner's your fuckin enemy. And soon the neighborhood you're supposed to be policing, that's just occupied territory."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BA5za4VsskM

ClydeCoulter
05-12-2013, 09:56 PM

That's a bit closer to the world I want to live in. But in my most desired world, there would be no missing girl, so the guy that would have been a cop and the missing girl in this current world are just other friends down the street and the three of you join the block party and just have a good time together, either doing drugs or alcohol or none at all.

Dr.3D
05-12-2013, 10:04 PM

I believe that means the post has been saved so in the event something goes wrong and your browser closes or you leave the thread, you can go back to that thread and finish the post.

kcchiefs6465
05-12-2013, 10:30 PM
I believe that means the post has been saved so in the event something goes wrong and your browser closes or you leave the thread, you can go back to that thread and finish the post.
Yeah, I don't know where to find it. I typed a pretty good response and somehow opened a tab that replaced the tab I was writing in. I wasn't sure if there was a spot I could maybe look to find it saved or if it's lost.

I hate when that happens.

Weston White
05-13-2013, 12:45 AM
There was a study that was done a few years back, done by a lobbying group of something. The study was never made public, being that it realized the average law abiding citizen throughout the course of their day unknowingly committed one felony and several misdemeanors and infractions. Ergo, there are so many laws nobody can possibly know or understand but a small fraction of them all–and yet this is exactly what is expected from the whole of society.

“The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws.” – Tacitus

“The more prohibitions there are, the poorer the people will be. The more laws are promulgated, the more thieves and bandits there will be.” – Lao Tzu, “Tao Te Ching”

John F Kennedy III
05-13-2013, 01:54 AM
I just spent 30 minutes reading about panopticons. Spot fucking on AF.

Although not directly named, the telescreens which are omnipresent in Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four (1949) of which “there was of course no way of knowing whether you were being watched at any given moment... you had to live... in the assumption that every sound you made was overheard, and, except in darkness, every movement scrutinised” [43] are based on the founding principle of the Panopticon.

Weston White
05-13-2013, 02:23 AM
Yeah, I don't know where to find it. I typed a pretty good response and somehow opened a tab that replaced the tab I was writing in. I wasn't sure if there was a spot I could maybe look to find it saved or if it's lost.

I hate when that happens.

I always thought that just meant it was storing it locally within your own browser window, possibly as Javascript cookie. Perhaps you can try going backward in your browser one page at a time and hopefully it will show back up in the textbox within the original tab?

pcosmar
05-13-2013, 07:45 AM

Just click on the box that says ,,"Restore auto saved content"

Probably too late for that now,,but next time.

fisharmor
05-13-2013, 11:01 AM
I just spent 30 minutes reading about panopticons. Spot fucking on AF.

Wow, Jeremy Bentham is kind of a key figure in modern statism, isn't he?

Barrex
05-13-2013, 11:48 AM
Yes.

Fastest way to total collapse of the state.

John F Kennedy III
05-13-2013, 12:57 PM
Wow, Jeremy Bentham is kind of a key figure in modern statism, isn't he?

Yes. They just took his prison model and applied to to entire countries.

torchbearer
05-13-2013, 01:09 PM
Example: You catch a well politically placed police supporter driving drunk AND driving dangerously- you don't have to arrest the public official. Excoriate the hell out of him, scare the shit out of him about the consequences, insure additional political support and send him on his way

its is what it is- a police man has full power over when to enforce a law.
its like jury nulification. you don't like jury nulification just because a criminal politician might catch a break?

The police can't make up laws- or become a judge and hang you before a trial. you are seriously mistaken in your position.
the only thing an officer can do, is decide either to enforce or not.
he definitely has the right to not enforce.
i mean that adamantly.

Henry Rogue
05-13-2013, 06:32 PM
Oh no, you don't understand, they aren't really creating new laws. they are just re-interpreting the old ones to adjust to current reality, political reality and the ever changing nature of humanity. If you want minimal government you need minimal laws.
Ron Paul says 40,000 new laws were "put on the books" on the first day of 2012http://www.politifact.com/texas/statements/2012/apr/27/ron-paul/ron-paul-says-40000-new-laws-were-put-books-first-/

phill4paul
05-14-2013, 06:48 AM
its is what it is- a police man has full power over when to enforce a law.
its like jury nulification. you don't like jury nulification just because a criminal politician might catch a break?

A jury is made up by more than one individual.

The police can't make up laws- or become a judge and hang you before a trial. you are seriously mistaken in your position.

http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.5051071495867228&pid=15.1

he definitely has the right to not enforce.
i mean that adamantly.

If they have the right to be selective in their enforcement then you fall into the trap of the inequality that is exhibited in the war on drugs. Petty tyrants dispensing justice as they see fit.

Selective enforcement: NYPD report: Most of those 'stopped and frisked' are minorities
http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/05/us/new-york-stop-and-frisk

fisharmor
05-14-2013, 07:23 AM

Also, this:
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSdHfxy4etCac3NovhbQQir1PrIDLRRm J8RUJOVXhWg_ATKh1-e

http://reason.com/blog/2012/01/17/the-prosecutor-who-cleared-nick-christie

A medical examiner in Lee County declared Christie’s death a homicide. Nearly three years later, no one has been charged with Christie’s murder, because Assistant State Attorney Dean R. Plattner declined to recommend charges against the officers at the Lee County Sheriff’s Department.

IndianaPolitico
05-14-2013, 08:43 AM
Poll at 63% to 38% right now, keep on voting! Let's push it to 70%.

torchbearer
05-14-2013, 10:52 AM
are libertarians talking about equality?
long for the days were people understood nullification.

enjerth
05-14-2013, 04:52 PM

DUI Mayor (http://www.1011now.com/home/headlines/Update-DUI-arrest-Grand-Island-Mayor-Reckless-Driving-Charge-198834241.html#.UZK_7crJI-E)

The evidence shows Grand Island Mayor Jay Vavricek was legally drunk when state troopers pulled him over two and a half weeks ago. But prosecutors didn't think a 0.093 blood alcohol content was enough to charge him with a DUI.

Should prosecutors enforce ALL laws? The police did arrest him. Good job guys!

According to the citation and complaint report from Nebraska State Patrol, in addition to the first offense DUI, he was also cited for failure to use a seatbelt.

They even got him for a seatbelt violation! These guys are on task.

A local liquor store employee, who wishes to remain anonymous, told 1011 the mayor bought alcohol from her earlier that afternoon. She said he appeared to have a limp, but otherwise seemed normal. She told us the mayor frequents that liquor store.

Probably not really his first then, huh?

DamianTV
05-14-2013, 05:48 PM
Should Police Enforce ALL Laws? Well, lets see, the average person commits Three Felonies Per Day. If Police were to enforce every law out there on the books, every single person in this country would be in prison for the rest of their lives. Due to that, I guess I should probably vote NO to enforcing ALL laws...

phill4paul
05-14-2013, 06:50 PM
Should Police Enforce ALL Laws? Well, lets see, the average person commits Three Felonies Per Day. If Police were to enforce every law out there on the books, every single person in this country would be in prison for the rest of their lives.Due to that, I guess I should probably vote NO to enforcing ALL laws...

It's the ILLUSION that others than yourself should be held accountable for something that keeps the system running. Enforce ALL laws and then see what happens to the Just-Us monopoly.

phill4paul
05-14-2013, 06:53 PM
DUI Mayor (http://www.1011now.com/home/headlines/Update-DUI-arrest-Grand-Island-Mayor-Reckless-Driving-Charge-198834241.html#.UZK_7crJI-E)

Should prosecutors enforce ALL laws? The police did arrest him. Good job guys!

They even got him for a seatbelt violation! These guys are on task.

Probably not really his first then, huh?

Ooopsie. Just another day at "Just-Us."

DamianTV
05-14-2013, 08:50 PM
It's the ILLUSION that others than yourself should be held accountable for something that keeps the system running. Enforce ALL laws and then see what happens to the Just-Us monopoly.

^ THIS ^

The Govt being Master Magicians have created the ILLUSION of Guilt and expliot that to benefit their precious Status Quo.

fr33
05-14-2013, 09:03 PM
When a local politician campaigns on being "tough on crime" and represents themselves as a "law and order" type, I don't vote for them.

DamianTV
05-14-2013, 09:16 PM
"Tough on Crime" simply means they are the ones committing the crimes and will be "Tough on You".

ShaneEnochs
05-14-2013, 09:37 PM
You guys are kidding, right? That would be the best thing to happen. People would immediately feel the weight of legislation, and would fight back.

kcchiefs6465
05-14-2013, 11:04 PM
When a local politician campaigns on being "tough on crime" and represents themselves as a "law and order" type, I don't vote for them.
Haha. Same. Even speaking about hiring more po-lice is a no go for me too. I see too many as is.

If I had the money, I'd have billboards and commercials against police levvys and all that shit. No joke.

Warrior_of_Freedom
05-15-2013, 12:09 AM

reading all the laws is like reading all the source code in an operating system :S

enjerth
05-15-2013, 10:07 AM
reading all the laws is like reading all the source code in an operating system :S

Actually, I really think a skilled programmer might be able to do a better job at writing legislation than many of the guys at the controls these days.

Imagine the mess of a program you would have if you took your programming job as seriously as they do with law.

"We'll find out what's in it after it passes."

The words of a true hack.

"It compiles... let's put it into production."

phill4paul
09-22-2014, 09:20 PM
Well, damn. Over a year later I get this

neg rep
Thread: Should Police Enforce ALL Laws? POLL
10th amendment, oath of office.

I am vexed. Vexed I am.

Christian Liberty
09-22-2014, 10:11 PM

They should quit and not be armed enforcers. I've been a bit more moderate on this point than some, partly because the one cop I know is a nice guy, but the career is just evil, period.

They can refuse the job.

This.

Also, this:
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSdHfxy4etCac3NovhbQQir1PrIDLRRm J8RUJOVXhWg_ATKh1-e

http://reason.com/blog/2012/01/17/the-prosecutor-who-cleared-nick-christie

Crap... that's the county/city I used to live in... Does anyone know the names of the people who did it? May be good stuff for me to let family members who live down there know if the names are available.

Agree.

You guys are kidding, right? That would be the best thing to happen. People would immediately feel the weight of legislation, and would fight back.

This is like the whole "institute the draft and watch support for war dwindle" Or "Support the worst economics policy possible so the economy so the system crumbles and we can have freedom again." I'd rather not go that route, even if it might work.

TheTexan
09-22-2014, 10:15 PM
Without the rule of law... there would just be anarchy. There would be street gangs roaming the streets, holding people up for cash, killing anyone who didn't pay protection money. There would be random beatings, and killings, without accountability. I bet small children wouldn't even be safe in their own homes.

It'd be chaos... it's a good thing we have the rule of law. This only works if we enforce all laws... even the ones we don't like. If enough people don't like a law, it gets changed. God bless Democracy.