PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul: States rejecting failed war on drugs

Lucille
05-10-2013, 03:25 PM
Ron Paul: States rejecting failed war on drugs
http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/inside-politics/2013/may/10/ron-paul-states-rejecting-failed-war-on-drugs/

Former Texas Rep. Ron Paul says the United States is “making progress” in rejecting the failed war on drugs by loosening state drug laws.

Mr. Paul, a 2012 presidential candidate and libertarian icon, said on his weekly radio podcast (http://www.podcastone.com/program?action=viewProgram&programID=401) that people will eventually wake up and realize that “prohibition doesn’t work.”

“Many states now are expressing themselves, passing laws in defiance of the federal government, … and they should have the right to legalize marijuana or whatever they want,” Mr. Paul said.

Mr. Paul said that he does not endorse the use of drugs, but that it is the job of parents — not the federal government — to prevent kids from using drugs.

Colorado voters passed an amendment in November legalizing marijuana for recreational use by adults and this week state lawmakers there passed bills that set the taxes and regulations for marijuana sales. Voters in Washington also passed an amendment last fall legalizing marijuana.

Mr. Paul estimated that the federal government has spent upwards of $3 trillion waging the war on drugs and said that the nation has little to show for it.

He said the prisons are filled with drug users convicted of nonviolent crimes and that black Americans are disproportionately affected by strict drug laws.

“The prisons are filled with minorities for drug use,” Mr. Paul said, “but for some reason there are not too many people that want to talk about this.”

green73
05-10-2013, 03:30 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=yhjtUTKYMdE
http://youtu.be/yhjtUTKYMdE

ZENemy
05-10-2013, 03:42 PM
I man crush on Ron Paul.

Christian Liberty
05-10-2013, 07:36 PM
Does Ron Paul have a problem with state governments regulating use of drugs by children?

I don't support anything, but having a minimum age at the state level seems reasonable to me. I don't want ten year olds getting high on crack when they aren't really even old enough to consent and then through no fault of their own their lives are screwed up.

qh4dotcom
05-10-2013, 07:55 PM
Does Ron Paul have a problem with state governments regulating use of drugs by children?

I don't support anything, but having a minimum age at the state level seems reasonable to me. I don't want ten year olds getting high on crack when they aren't really even old enough to consent and then through no fault of their own their lives are screwed up.

I don't recall he constitutionally has a problem with that....but personally I think he doesn't want people incarcerated for victimless crimes.

and is it reasonable for you to be forced to pay for the incarceration of folks convicted of victimless crimes? My property taxes are too high already.

willwash
05-10-2013, 08:20 PM
I don't recall he constitutionally has a problem with that....but personally I think he doesn't want people incarcerated for victimless crimes.

and is it reasonable for you to be forced to pay for the incarceration of folks convicted of victimless crimes? My property taxes are too high already.

In the case of a child being given drugs the crime would be the providing. Anyone selling or giving drugs to children, especiall hardcore drugs, should be punished severely. It's not always a case of parental neglect. There are some serious whackos out there as you all know.

Christian Liberty
05-10-2013, 08:38 PM

Yeah, the kid shouldn't be legally punished but someone who sells to a young kid definitely should. Much the same reason why the young can't consent to sex.

I can understand lowering the age of consent, but abolishing it? That really doesn't make any sense.

Not that it matters since constitutionally Ron Paul is correct that its NOT a Federal issue. But if he doesn't think government should have any role whatsoeveer in protecting children from people who would try to trick them into destroying themselves before they're old enough to consent (This is somewhat murky ,but there are plenty of obvious cases. An 8 year old clearly can't consent, an 18 year old clearly can) at the state level than I believe that he's wrong. Your taxes should be a lot lower because government should be like 90% smaller than it is right now.

In the case of a child being given drugs the crime would be the providing. Anyone selling or giving drugs to children, especiall hardcore drugs, should be punished severely. It's not always a case of parental neglect. There are some serious whackos out there as you all know.

This.