PDA

View Full Version : targeting nursing homes with dvds

spivey378
11-25-2007, 05:56 PM
do they allow solicitation? the elderly vote in large numbers and have nothing to do but watch tv at the nursing home

good idea?

mathamagician
11-25-2007, 05:58 PM
Yes! I think they are probably the most sympathetic and unreached audience. Seems like you could mail the DVD directly to them.

MadViking10
11-25-2007, 05:58 PM
I was thinking of this as well. They CRAVE visitors and DO vote. I'm thinking DVD's arent the answer as most of them have no computers BUT a laptop and some slim jims could go a long way. Perhaps even drive them to the polls.

ionlyknowy
11-25-2007, 06:00 PM
do they allow solicitation? the elderly vote in large numbers and have nothing to do but watch tv at the nursing home

good idea?

I would lean more towards "retirement homes" instead of nursing homes... usually nursing homes, the residence have a hard time getting out of bed, let alone getting in a car and driving to a poll station...

You might be able to catch the nursing home residences family while they are visiting but, or the nurses that tend to these people, but def. not a good bang for your buck/time...

Retirement homes... different story

LibertyEagle
11-25-2007, 06:00 PM

good idea?

I'm not sure. They probably differ. If nothing else, the staff might be willing to keep them out on the counter for those residents who want them. I would think some Slim Jims would be great too, or flyers like the 2-sided Mosaic flyers, etc.

Retirement communities might also be good to hit.

LibertyEagle
11-25-2007, 06:01 PM
I was thinking of this as well. They CRAVE visitors and DO vote. I'm thinking DVD's arent the answer as most of them have no computers BUT a laptop and some slim jims could go a long way. Perhaps even drive them to the polls.

Yeah, but they might have DVDs for their TV. ;)

Jon S
11-25-2007, 06:03 PM
nursing homes are mostly for people who no longer have the capability of living on their own. most people there are either in wheelchairs or have some mental illness... trust me i spent the last 4 year visiting my grandpa in a nursing home...

now if you want to go there and play some music for them they always enjoy that :).

ionlyknowy
11-25-2007, 06:06 PM
I have had three relatives in a nursing home and all three of them had a chronic disease... as did most of the other residences in the nursing home. That is why they call it a nursing home, these people have something wrong with them, so they need constant monitoring by a nurses station. Not your ideal voter...

You might be able to squeeze a absentee ballot out of them if you walk them through the process... and even then you might accused of some sort of coercion...Many of these people arent really all there if you know what I mean.

Retirement homes or senior living establishments are way better.

ionlyknowy
11-25-2007, 06:07 PM
nursing homes are mostly for people who no longer have the capability of living on their own. most people there are either in wheelchairs or have some mental illness... trust me i spent the last 4 year visiting my grandpa in a nursing home...

now if you want to go there and play some music for them they always enjoy that :).

What he said....

bbachtung
11-25-2007, 06:13 PM
Senior housing is different from nursing homes, though.

FreeTraveler
11-25-2007, 06:15 PM
Retirement communities would be a great idea. They're always looking for events to come and fill time, and you could probably get scheduled pretty easily. Take along a DVD player in case they don't have one in the rec room, and let the staff know you'll want a TV available for part of your event... or better yet, if you can borrow a computer projector and take nice speakers, you could put a big image on the wall of the rec room or cafeteria.

Please, dress nice, watch your mouth, and pick appropriate videos, like Hope for America and the teaparty that has the great video clips, beginning with the boat floating on the water. I forget which one that is.

NO RAP or heavy metal. remember your audience.

Jon S
11-25-2007, 06:16 PM
yea retirement communities and senior housing is different than nursing homes. these are places more for people who just don't want to deal with the young-uns on their lawn :)

spivey378
11-25-2007, 06:51 PM
yea, i got the names mixed up. im going to bring this up to my meet up group on wed

Adamsa
11-25-2007, 07:01 PM
This is the best audience to target.

a) They have time to see the message.
b) They consistently vote the most.
c) Old people rule.

lucius
11-25-2007, 07:14 PM

good idea?

I do this as well...great idea! Donation envelopes would be a good accompaniment as well. :)