PDA

View Full Version : Breitbart says Tebow is being persecuted

fr33
05-10-2013, 12:42 AM
'Unfair' Owners Blackballing QB Because of 'Tebowmania' (http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-Sports/2013/05/09/Michael-Silver-Says-NFL-Teams-Unfairly-Not-Signing-Tebow-Because-of-His-Rabid-Fans-)

Oh sure the NFL hates making money off of a controversy and the attention it gets. :rolleyes:

More likely Tebow has been sucking for the past few years and better quarterbacks make more money...

This is a perfect example of how Christians play the persecution card.

TheGrinch
05-10-2013, 12:51 AM
LOL, persecution?

They really think NFL teams wouldn't love the large passionate following if the guy could actually succeed at QB? Of course they would, even the haters bring ratings and revenue. Why do you think the media wouldn't stop talking about him?

But it's a no-win situation for GMs because his following FAR exceeds his ability. It was the best move Elway will ever make to find the one QB that Denver fans couldn't be upset over them replacing Tebow with in Manning.

The problem with Tebow isn't that he's a Christian, or even that he doesn't have the skills to be an NFL QB, the problem with him is that his fans will throw a fit like this if a GM dares to even think about going in a different direction when it doesn't work out.

Weston White
05-10-2013, 01:10 AM
Or could it be that anything or anybody expressing any form of fundamentalism (or that is otherwise seemingly individualistic and principled) is not any longer permitted for consideration within the mainstream—i.e., is no longer “marketable”, having been decreed as taboo and off limits? There is only room left now for sex appeal, idiocy, lying political spin, distorted misdirection, and yet more sex appeal.

fr33
05-10-2013, 01:15 AM
He's far more marketable than quarterbacks that suck just as bad as he does. He isn't known for his skills. He's known for his personality.

I guess teams should abandon market principle and lose games for a guy that sells jerseys rather than win games.

TheGrinch
05-10-2013, 01:26 AM
He's far more marketable than quarterbacks that suck just as bad as he does. He isn't known for his skills. He's known for his personality.

I guess teams should abandon market principle and lose games for a guy that sells jerseys rather than win games.

And no one could use that more than Jacksonville where he's from, are struggling in popularity, and have a dreadful QB situation. That should be pretty telling that even they've declared they're not interested.

The entire controversy has been between those who realize he's a dreadful QB and those who are enamored that he's an upstanding Christian QB. Only one of those groups has proven correct in their assessment about his skills, and the latter is only ensuring he'll never get a shot when it will only lead to fan animosity when the former is again proven right.

It's not his religion that's holding him back, we both realize that even if contreversial (and by and large it is not his religion that's contreversial, it's his play), it'd be a wet dream for them if he could succeed . It's that his fans refuse to acknowledge that he's simply not an NFL QB, and that will ensure it backfires on anyone willing to give him a chance when he doesn't win the job.

Weston White
05-10-2013, 01:43 AM

And that is exactly the problem for those in the mainstream, his followers are making too positive of an impression. They cannot allow for those being held in bondage to awaken to what he represents to his avid followers, keeping the people well-shackled is worth the sacrifice of several millions in profit. Otherwise, they risk much greater risks down the road, after his followers have awakened enough people, who then begin to take a proactive interest what he is representative of. Ergo, they cannot have their viewers starting to read the Bible and asking questions—far too risky to chance.

Because, before they even realize it the next thing to come will be that their viewership will stop watching football games, stop stockpiling cases of beer, cheese puffs, Doritios, Taco Bell, and will instead start watching videos such as Loose Change, Endgame, Super Size Me, Fluoride Deception, Genetic Roulette, and Obama Deception; and then listening to Glenn Beck or Alex Jones; and then will start reading books such as "None Dare Call it a Conspiracy" or "Seeds of Deception"; and then reading up on and discussing with others political issues such as the II Amendment and researching the backgrounds of who all they are about to vote for; and will then perhaps for the first time in their sleepy, insignificant lives begin taking them all seriously and to then establish meaningful purpose for themselves.

* As to the NFL, most all professional sport games are fixed, in so far that are important to the advancement of specific teams are entirely fixed. All professional sports are no different than the WWF (or boxing when Don King is around). Professional sports are nothing more than scheduled entertainment for the long-haul, while fulfilling a means to covertly beset social tribalism.

CPUd
05-10-2013, 01:43 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tnR3qpBD_I

Zippyjuan
05-10-2013, 11:55 AM
John Elway was actully a mediocre quarterback his first few years too. He had a good arm but often threw it too hard for even his own players to catch. His receivers and blocking weren't that great either so he was often running for his life and scrambling to try to make something happen. It has since been broken but he used to have the record for most interceptions in a Super Bowl. But both Elway and Tebow were willing to do whatever they could themselves to help their team win. Eventually Elway was considered one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL. Couild Tebow be an excellent QB? Maybe. But he may not get the chance Elway got. Teams want somebody who can win TODAY and not one who may take a few years to improve.

The "persecution" thing? Just an excuse. But you won't hear Tebow making the claim.

thoughtomator
05-10-2013, 12:07 PM
People can claim that Tebow isn't an NFL-quality QB, but his record is that of a winner. What he did as Broncos QB was borderline miraculous. He certainly didn't get a chance to show his stuff with the Jets.

His best bet might be to do the Kurt Warner route and play AFL to prove his stuff.

cajuncocoa
05-10-2013, 12:10 PM
The comments on that article made me LMAO.

TheGrinch
05-10-2013, 12:38 PM
And that is exactly the problem for those in the mainstream, his followers are making too positive of an impression. They cannot allow for those being held in bondage to awaken to what he represents to his avid followers, keeping the people well-shackled is worth the sacrifice of several millions in profit. Otherwise, they risk much greater risks down the road, after his followers have awakened enough people, who then begin to take a proactive interest what he is representative of. Ergo, they cannot have their viewers starting to read the Bible and asking questions—far too risky to chance.

Because, before they even realize it the next thing to come will be that their viewership will stop watching football games, stop stockpiling cases of beer, cheese puffs, Doritios, Taco Bell, and will instead start watching videos such as Loose Change, Endgame, Super Size Me, Fluoride Deception, Genetic Roulette, and Obama Deception; and then listening to Glenn Beck or Alex Jones; and then will start reading books such as "None Dare Call it a Conspiracy" or "Seeds of Deception"; and then reading up on and discussing with others political issues such as the II Amendment and researching the backgrounds of who all they are about to vote for; and will then perhaps for the first time in their sleepy, insignificant lives begin taking them all seriously and to then establish meaningful purpose for themselves.

* As to the NFL, most all professional sport games are fixed, in so far that are important to the advancement of specific teams are entirely fixed. All professional sports are no different than the WWF (or boxing when Don King is around). Professional sports are nothing more than scheduled entertainment for the long-haul, while fulfilling a means to covertly beset social tribalism.

LOL, the NFL is only interested in one thing, money, and no one wanted Tebow to succeed more than the media. This was extremely evident. Contreversy generates ratings. Why do you think the Jets brought him on? Because the Giants have been getting all the attention, but they quickly figured out that Tebow wasn't the answer when he couldn't beat out butt-fumble Sanchez.

I can assure you they were not worried about Tebow waking up the masses. You do know that significant portion of football fans are already Christian, right?

People can claim that Tebow isn't an NFL-quality QB, but his record is that of a winner. What he did as Broncos QB was borderline miraculous. He certainly didn't get a chance to show his stuff with the Jets.

His best bet might be to do the Kurt Warner route and play AFL to prove his stuff.

What he did with the Broncos was completely suck until the 4th quarter as the defense kept them in it all game... I remember calling it that as soon as they ran into a high-powered offense, they simply wouldn't be able to keep up, and they didn't. They got absolutely slaughtered by the Lions and Patriots (twice).

Fact stands, Tebow does not have the throwing ability to be an NFL QB in the now pass-happy league. This isn't even like 10 years ago when you could skate by with a strong defense, running game and late game miracle. It may work during the regular season, but you cannot consistently win against playoff teams like that (not to mention that all of the running QBs are learning how short of a career you'll have if you rely on your legs and don't progress as a passer).

RonPaulFanInGA
05-10-2013, 12:41 PM
http://i.imgur.com/JFE17eQ.jpg

thoughtomator
05-10-2013, 12:49 PM
Fact stands, Tebow does not have the throwing ability to be an NFL QB in the now pass-happy league. This isn't even like 10 years ago when you could skate by with a strong defense, running game and late game miracle. It may work during the regular season, but you cannot consistently win against playoff teams like that (not to mention that all of the running QBs are learning how short of a career you'll have if you rely on your legs and don't progress as a passer).

The fact is that the same exact Broncos team went from losing consistently to winning consistently with only one major change, which was putting Tebow in at QB. How come that very same defense couldn't win games for the presumably higher-quality QB Orton?

Cutlerzzz
05-10-2013, 01:01 PM

The Broncos had an elite offensive line and multiple good receivers. The only amazing thing is that he couldn't turn put up respectable numbers on a offense with that much talent. If you can't throw for 200 yards per game with that kind of talent, you don't belong in the NFL.

Oh, and the Broncos turn around had nothing to do with Tebow. Their offense regressed under Tebow. They managed 20 points or more in 4 of their 5 games with Orton. They only managed 20 points or more in 4 of their 13 games with Tebow. They didn't just regress, they imploded offensively with Tebow.

Weston White
05-10-2013, 01:05 PM
Sure to a point, but also they are beholden to the powers that be (earning money is not the only consideration), but here is the distinction:

REPORTER: So you are a 32-year old Christian male, who is also a huge fan of the NFL; you live and breath football?

CHRISTIAN: Yes, sir!

REPORTER: When was the last time you went to mass?

CHRISTIAN: Wow, I suppose, back when I was in grade school when my parents forced me to go on Sundays.

REPORTER: Well do you at least own a Bible?

CHRISTIAN: No.

REPORTER: Surely though you have read the Bible?

CHRISTIAN: No.

REPORTER: Do you practice in prayer?

CHRISTIAN: Oh sure, everytime my team plays, hehehehe.

REPORTER: Yet you are thoroughly familiar with all of the rules, have the stats and status of all the players, the team schedules, and the history of the NFL memorized?

CHRISTIAN: Oh yea, you got that right! GO RAIDERS!

REPORTER: How do you usually spend you Sundays now as an adult with your own family?

CHRISTIAN: My wife stocks up the kitchen each Saturday, for Sunday when all of my game-buddies come over to watch the game on my 55-inch HD, sometimes my children will get in on the action and pig-out with us, then my friends will sometimes stay over to do a barbecue and get wasted on cheap beer.

REPORTER: OK, thank you, sir.

CHRISTIAN: Sure, and thank you to.

jkob
05-10-2013, 01:12 PM
He's not being persecuted. He CHOOSE to be the backup for the Jets over being the starter of his hometown team Jacksonville. Backup QB is a guy you don't want to see or hear from and Tebow is a major distraction and you'll completely undermine your starting QB. Unless you want to bring Tebow in to start, I don't blame teams for avoiding him.

TheGrinch
05-10-2013, 01:24 PM
The fact is that the same exact Broncos team went from losing consistently to winning consistently with only one major change, which was putting Tebow in at QB. How come that very same defense couldn't win games for the presumably higher-quality QB Orton?

Ummm, because Orton still sucks, and their defense did not hit it's stride until after the bye when Tebow came on (you could make the argument that Tebow made them play better, but he sure didn't keep them off the field with sustained drives).

In Ortons 5 games the defense let up 23, 22, 17, 49, 29 (though they did score more per game under Orton), whereas in 5 of Tebow's wins they held the other team in the teens (in the other 3 wins where they let up more, the defense, special teams and running game scored more TDs than Tebow did). They also got slaughtered by high-powered offenses, and only scored 3 points in the season finale, where they needed help to even make the playoffs at 8-8.

Tebow ended the year with a 46% completion percentage with an increasing amount of turnovers and fumbles.

And we all know that running QBs almost always tend to have success running before the league figures them out. Vick did, Vince Young did, Tebow did, Cam did, RG3 did, Kaepernick did, but only the latter 3 appear to be able to adjust to becoming a pocket passer. Tebow is not immune to this, and does not appear at all capable to make NFL throws.

It's the same reason the wildcat was short-lived, and why GA Tech doesn't win more games with their triple-option attack. Unless you have a strong defense to rely on, then when you fall behind, you simply cannot come back once you have to abandon the run and rely on a subpar passing attack.

Peace&Freedom
05-10-2013, 01:27 PM

About sums it up. Yes, Tebow needs more work through getting enough playing time, to realize the strong potential he's already demonstrated, a shot he certainly did not get as a Bronco or Jet. Tebow even has, to date, one more playoff win as a Bronco than Manning has. Yet other players with an iffy track record have gotten loads of more chances. And his followers are treated more as a negative than a positive. What gives?

TheGrinch
05-10-2013, 01:37 PM
About sums it up. Yes, Tebow needs more work through getting enough playing time, to realize the strong potential he's already demonstrated, a shot he certainly did not get as a Bronco or Jet. Tebow even has, to date, one more playoff win as a Bronco than Manning has. Yet other players with an iffy track record have gotten loads of more chances. And his followers are treated more as a negative than a positive. What gives?

I cannot stand this argument that Tebow has more playoff wins. No he doesn't, the Broncos did. It's a team game.

But fine, if you want make this about individual accomplishments, Tebow scored 29 points, Manning scored 35 points. The Steelers scored 23 points, the Ravens scored 38. Stands to reason then that Tebow wouldn't have beaten the Superbowl champs either.

jkr
05-10-2013, 01:56 PM

THIS

A MILLION TIMES THIS

CPUd
05-10-2013, 06:02 PM
This is the one I was really looking for:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLIzbIZH0Uw

PaleoPaul
05-10-2013, 06:35 PM
When people get bullied for being Christian, when Christian teens and young adults commit suicide because of how they are treated for being Christian, when Christians get fired from their jobs or don't get hired because they're Christian, among other things, THEN this cartoon will have credibility.

But it doesn't.

fr33
05-10-2013, 06:38 PM
When people get bullied for being Christian, when Christian teens and young adults commit suicide because of how they are treated for being Christian, when Christians get fired from their jobs or don't get hired because they're Christian, among other things, THEN this cartoon will have credibility.

But it doesn't.
My interpretation of the cartoon is. Why would the US media care if someone is a Christian? Most people are.

RonPaulFanInGA
05-10-2013, 07:55 PM

But it doesn't.

When being a mediocre gay athlete matters to anyone today outside the media and Hollywood, then your post will have credibility. But it doesn't.

fr33
05-10-2013, 07:59 PM
When being a mediocre gay athlete matters to anyone today outside the media and Hollywood, then your post will have credibility. But it doesn't.

People care about rare things. They don't care as much about things they see on a daily basis.

Christians are not being persecuted in the US. A presidential candidate cannot and has not been able to answer the question of faith with anything but Christianity. If they answer with anything other than Christianity, they will instantly lose. Who exactly is being persecuted? Or a better question is who is DOING the persecution?

Brian4Liberty
05-10-2013, 08:15 PM
My impression is that Tebow has become politicized. I have heard more negative things said about him by commentators (or should I say pundits) than any other athlete. Even Jamarcus Russell didn't get as beat up (he should have been) by the media. I'd take Tebow on the Raiders.

The venom directed at him is very reminiscent of MSNBC talking about the Tea Party. It's politics, not athletics.

bolil
05-10-2013, 08:16 PM
People care about rare things. They don't care as much about things they see on a daily basis.

Christians are not being persecuted in the US. A presidential candidate cannot and has not been able to answer the question of faith with anything but Christianity. If they answer with anything other than Christianity, they will instantly lose. Who exactly is being persecuted? Or a better question is who is DOING the persecution?

Nominal Christians seem to be persecuting everyone else, even other nominal Christians. Actual Christians are quite rare. That NBA guy who came out of the closet, he released some kind of memoir right afterwards... sooooooo, that wasn't about money, right?

tttppp
05-10-2013, 10:36 PM
LOL, persecution?

They really think NFL teams wouldn't love the large passionate following if the guy could actually succeed at QB? Of course they would, even the haters bring ratings and revenue. Why do you think the media wouldn't stop talking about him?

But it's a no-win situation for GMs because his following FAR exceeds his ability. It was the best move Elway will ever make to find the one QB that Denver fans couldn't be upset over them replacing Tebow with in Manning.

The problem with Tebow isn't that he's a Christian, or even that he doesn't have the skills to be an NFL QB,
the problem with him is that his fans will throw a fit like this if a GM dares to even think about going in a different direction when it doesn't work out.

If management sucked up to him half as much as Sanchez he would have his own statue.

fr33
05-10-2013, 11:11 PM
If management sucked up to him half as much as Sanchez he would have his own statue.

Yeah because management hates making money. They choose a worse quarterback that sells less memorabilia :rolleyes:

angelatc
05-10-2013, 11:17 PM
My interpretation of the cartoon is. Why would the US media care if someone is a Christian? Most people are.

I think the media - especially the internet media - is indeed very hostile to Christians. It just so happened that the morning Tebow was let go we were in McDonald's using their internet, and the CNN witch was laughing about it. Not to mention that they reported on it over and over - far more than any other mediocre quarterback would normally get. If he wasn't famous for being a Christian, he wouldn't be newsworthy. So I actually think that on that morning, he was, in fact, being persecuted for being Christian.

randpaul2016
05-10-2013, 11:50 PM
I was actually thinking this

fr33
05-11-2013, 12:00 AM
I think the media - especially the internet media - is indeed very hostile to Christians. It just so happened that the morning Tebow was let go we were in McDonald's using their internet, and the CNN witch was laughing about it. Not to mention that they reported on it over and over - far more than any other mediocre quarterback would normally get. If he wasn't famous for being a Christian, he wouldn't be newsworthy. So I actually think that on that morning, he was, in fact, being persecuted for being Christian.

I will grant you that the internet media is indeed hostile to christians. There is a reason for it. It involves blowback from voices that never had a forum to be heard from. But overall, christians are the majority and are the ones physically and audibly persecuting others in this nation every day; regardless of what the liberal media does.

fr33
05-11-2013, 12:02 AM
I really wish christians that think they are being persecuted would try to imagine they are not christian and what their life would be like. You will find persecution and most of it comes from self-avowed christians.

vita3
05-11-2013, 06:43 AM
Tim would seemingly be a great fit in Jacksonville. They are a struggling team & could use local kid who has 2 National Championships to his credit & one NFL playoff win.

Problem there as I see it, is Jacksonville is owned by a Pakistanian Muslim & I don't think he is down w/ giving Tim the keys to his team.

Falcon63
05-11-2013, 06:51 AM
Christians can NOT talk about persecution, considering they are the ones who have persecuted SO MANY groups over the years. Atheists, Muslims, Hindus, Sikhs, you name it.

I literally got into a fight when I was in high school because some kid found out I didn't believe in God. Now, I beat the fuck out of him because he had the audacity to try and harm me, but the point is that many people were actually on his side.

People always want to talk about anti-Christian rhetoric, but never about persecution against Atheists, probably the most persecuted group of all. If you live anywhere in the south and don't believe in the Judeo-Christian God or Jesus, you better learn to fight.

thoughtomator
05-11-2013, 07:17 AM
Yeah because management hates making money. They choose a worse quarterback that sells less memorabilia :rolleyes:

They did actually do just that. Sanchez was THE worst QB in the NFL last year. Not close to the worst, the worst - period. The entire Jets fan base, and probably many other people as well, wondered why the hell Sanchez didn't lose his starting job once he destroyed the team's playoff hopes.

robert68
05-11-2013, 07:21 AM

Is that you Skip (Bayless) Tebow?

:rolleyes:

MelissaWV
05-11-2013, 07:29 AM
Christians can NOT talk about persecution, considering they are the ones who have persecuted SO MANY groups over the years. Atheists, Muslims, Hindus, Sikhs, you name it.

I literally got into a fight when I was in high school because some kid found out I didn't believe in God. Now, I beat the fuck out of him because he had the audacity to try and harm me, but the point is that many people were actually on his side.

People always want to talk about anti-Christian rhetoric, but never about persecution against Atheists, probably the most persecuted group of all. If you live anywhere in the south and don't believe in the Judeo-Christian God or Jesus, you better learn to fight.

Is that the same person who was on other threads rambling about how ridiculous it was to judge others based on superficial things? Instead of that, guess it's better to judge a group based on what some do (and did, hundreds/thousands of years ago).

If you think that's "never" talked about, then it's likely the people you hang around. I have heard much and more that is similar to your post my whole life. Everyone has an opinion to offer on what it means to be a "real Christian," and wants to school you and challenge you on the Bible, to the point it's just better to avoid the question altogether. Only the really smart people are atheists or agnostics, didn't you know? And only the Bible-literalist-zealots are real Christians, right?

Honestly, zealots of any sort are the problem: there is, by definition, no reasoning with them and no staying under their radar. I would think that includes people who have it in their heads that because some Christians were awful people, a living Christian who has been relatively good to others cannot complain if they are persecuted for their faith.

RonPaulFanInGA
05-11-2013, 08:16 AM
But overall, christians are the majority and are the ones physically and audibly persecuting others in this nation every day; regardless of what the liberal media does.

What fantasy world are you living in? "Persecuted", really? I think all the perpetual victims claiming "persecution" in the U.S. (gays, Christians, agnostics, etc.) are pretty much over-blowing it, especially when compared to the rest of the world.

If you think that's "never" talked about, then it's likely the people you hang around. I have heard much and more that is similar to your post my whole life. Everyone has an opinion to offer on what it means to be a "real Christian," and wants to school you and challenge you on the Bible, to the point it's just better to avoid the question altogether. Only the really smart people are atheists or agnostics, didn't you know? And only the Bible-literalist-zealots are real Christians, right?

Honestly, zealots of any sort are the problem: there is, by definition, no reasoning with them and no staying under their radar. I would think that includes people who have it in their heads that because some Christians were awful people, a living Christian who has been relatively good to others cannot complain if they are persecuted for their faith.

If my own personal experience in life in any indication: atheists will evangelize and preach and attempt to shove their beliefs down others' throats more than even the most hardcore Christian.

MelissaWV
05-11-2013, 08:22 AM

If my own personal experience in life in any indication: atheists will evangelize and preach and attempt to shove their opinions down others' throats more than even the most hardcore Christian.

Which is why the problem really is zealots of any sort. It is not confined to religious beliefs, or lack thereof. I had a vegetarian slap a sandwich out of my hands because I said pig was delicious (this was in HS, so simply just not interacting with her ever again was good enough for me). I've had environmental fanatics screech and scream because I used plastic bags at the grocery store. There are those who will rob you under the threat of force in order to "educate" their children. The list goes on and on. They reside at the polar extremes of any situation, they will attempt to use force to get their way, and there is no reasoning with them.

RonPaulFanInGA
05-11-2013, 08:33 AM

Here's an idea: go preach atheism in many of those Islamic countries in the Middle East, then get back to us about how you feel about American Christians.

Antischism
05-11-2013, 08:34 AM
I always laugh when I hear Christians (about 75% of all Americans identify as such) talk about how they're being persecuted, yet in the same breath, remark about how "disgusting" and "wrong" homosexuality is. If I had to choose the most entitled group of people in America, it would be Christians (especially morally). And of course, anyone who chooses to question the existence of a God is just misguided and will be damned to an eternal, fiery sub-existence or whatever a particular sect of Christianity believes. Hell (hah), many Christians still vehemently deny evolution in the face of scientific evidence! :eek: Of course, not all Christians are like this, but as a religious group in America, they definitely don't have to worry about being "persecuted" which is what the article ultimately tries to imply.

More people are vocal about their opposition to organized religion these days due to the availability of the Internet which provides anonymity, as well as not having to worry about ostracization for daring to question. It's how U.S. Presidents have (un)declared war with other nations under the guise of being "true" Christians, with the voice of God to lead them. It's the intolerance, past and present. The indoctrination at early ages.

What's funny is the most vocal and repugnant Christians I've come across are all self-described "conservatives" who think they're being overrun by homosexual "deviants" trying to destroy America and the family unit, all the while waving a flag and cheering on the troops as they occupy foreign lands and kill innocents.

KingNothing
05-11-2013, 08:34 AM
If Tebow didn't pimp Jesus, he would have never even made it to the NFL.

MelissaWV
05-11-2013, 08:35 AM

Yeah, a guy of decent size who was being eyed as a multi-purpose back due to his college performance would never have been considered in the NFL...

KingNothing
05-11-2013, 08:35 AM
Here's an idea: go preach atheism in many of those Islamic countries in the Middle East, then get back to us about how you feel about American Christians.

I think there are many hypocritical Christians and many busybodies in the faith, but they're an overwhelmingly peaceful cult nowadays. They're the least of humanity's problems at this point.

MelissaWV
05-11-2013, 08:37 AM
I always laugh when I hear Christians (about 75% of all Americans identify as such) talk about how they're being persecuted, yet in the same breath, remark about how "disgusting" and "wrong" homosexuality is. If I had to choose the most entitled group of people in America, it would be Christians (especially morally). And of course, anyone who chooses to question the existence of a God is just misguided and will be damned to an eternal, fiery sub-existence or whatever a particular sect of Christianity believes. Hell (hah), many Christians still vehemently deny evolution in the face of scientific evidence! :eek: Of course, not all Christians are like this, but as a religious group in America, they definitely don't have to worry about being "persecuted" which is what the article ultimately tries to imply.

More people are vocal about their opposition to organized religion these days due to the availability of the Internet which provides anonymity, as well as not having to worry about ostracization for daring to question. It's how U.S. Presidents have (un)declared war with other nations under the guise of being "true" Christians, with the voice of God to lead them. It's the intolerance, past and present. The indoctrination at early ages.

What's funny is the most vocal and repugnant Christians I've come across are all self-described "conservatives" who think they're being overrun by homosexual "deviants" trying to destroy America and the family unit, all the while waving a flag and cheering on the troops as they occupy foreign lands and kill innocents.

Many... 75%... most...

Did you know that 85% of statistics are made up on the spot?

RonPaulFanInGA
If I had to choose the most entitled group of people in America, it would be Christians (especially morally).

Oh please. Is there Affirmative Action for Christians?

KingNothing
They did actually do just that. Sanchez was THE worst QB in the NFL last year. Not close to the worst, the worst - period. The entire Jets fan base, and probably many other people as well, wondered why the hell Sanchez didn't lose his starting job once he destroyed the team's playoff hopes.

I believe Tim Tebow had the lowest, or second lowest, completion percentage of any starting quaterback in NFL history over the course of a year before. Even when he was winning games with the Broncos, he was terrible.

MelissaWV
05-11-2013, 08:40 AM
I believe Tim Tebow had the lowest, or second lowest, completion percentage of any starting quaterback in NFL history over the course of a year before. Even when he was winning games with the Broncos, he was terrible.

Yeah I will amend my earlier post here.

I don't think it was his "Christianity" that earned him a spot in the NFL. I think on paper he looked good, and in camp he seemed like an okay gamble to have around as a backup or gimmick play person. There's no harm in all that.

I do think he was kept around more for popularity's sake after that. There's no way he should still be floating around shopping NFL teams and expecting a positive response. As someone else suggested, he could play non-NFL for awhile and build up a profile and come back.

KingNothing
05-11-2013, 08:42 AM

LMFAO! Tebow had people calling him a "hero" every single day of his life in college and the NFL! The media asked him about his faith constantly, and gave him every opportunity to spread the good word. Had he done any better than be the worst starting QB in the history of the NFL, he would have had a long and financially successful career in the media spotlight.

Antischism
05-11-2013, 08:43 AM
Many... 75%... most...

Did you know that 85% of statistics are made up on the spot?

There are plenty of sources on the Internet that verify this, but you're free to disagree or disregard them and pretend the majority of Americans don't identify as Christian. Whether or not they actually follow Christian doctrine is another story.

KingNothing
05-11-2013, 08:45 AM
I don't think it was his "Christianity" that earned him a spot in the NFL.

Yes it was. And girls found him attractive and likeable, and his team's won in college. He could never actually throw, though. He didn't make the NFL and gain the spotlight because of his ability to be a QB. He made the NFL and gained the spotlight because of his intangibles --- devout religion, looks, and "leadership."

I think on paper he looked good, and in camp he seemed like an okay gamble to have around as a backup or gimmick play person. There's no harm in all that.

Sure, he's fine as a punt protector or some nonsense like that.

I do think he was kept around more for popularity's sake after that. There's no way he should still be floating around shopping NFL teams and expecting a positive response.

Agreed.

KingNothing
05-11-2013, 08:48 AM
Yeah, a guy of decent size who was being eyed as a multi-purpose back due to his college performance would never have been considered in the NFL...

Yeah, and teams thought Maurice Clarett and Ron Dayne would be good NFL running backs. Teams do stupid things.

Tebow's faith and the "leadership" it convinced people that he could provide, combined with the amazing talent on his team in college, gave him an opportunity to play QB in the NFL. This was an opportunity that his actual talent did not warrant.

RonPaulFanInGA
05-11-2013, 08:56 AM
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?338921-Iowa-Tim-Tebow-Poll

Among those polled in Iowa who view Tim Tebow unfavorably, Paul is the first choice of 38% of them! Among those who view Tebow favorably, however, Gingrich is ahead with 29%. (Paul is second among this group with 25%)

Ron Paul was the most popular candidate in Iowa among the Tebow-haters.

Brian4Liberty
05-11-2013, 09:37 AM
The media? Marxists don't like Christians. ;)

MelissaWV
05-11-2013, 09:46 AM
Yeah, and teams thought Maurice Clarett and Ron Dayne would be good NFL running backs. Teams do stupid things.

Tebow's faith and the "leadership" it convinced people that he could provide, combined with the amazing talent on his team in college, gave him an opportunity to play QB in the NFL. This was an opportunity that his actual talent did not warrant.

This is closest to what I was trying to say. I really don't think it has to do with being so openly Christian (there are many and more on college teams that do missionary work, etc.) so much as the national championships, the trophy, the reputation for providing leadership behind the scenes, his general physical makeup (which contributed to being able to run the ball... IN COLLEGE... and I think a lot of people ignored the fact that it was IN COLLEGE and not against people literally paid to run you down ASAP and who know all those tricks from years of playing against the best). Once he failed, he should have fallen out of favor like many before him, and used what was left of his name recognition to either go do something else, or to prove himself in a non-NFL league and stage a big ole comeback down the line.

vita3
05-11-2013, 04:00 PM

What an ignorant thing to type. Tebow won 2 National College Football Championships @ Florida w/ incredible passing & running stats.

vita3
05-11-2013, 04:06 PM
As far as the NFL goes Tebow has a nice winning record as a starter 7-4. He also won a playoff game against Pitt. Got crushed vs the Pats in next round, proving he's got to work at it.

Criticize him all u want, but his on- field NFL performance proves he is belongs.

robert68
05-11-2013, 05:07 PM
As far as the NFL goes Tebow has a nice winning record as a starter 7-4. He also won a playoff game against Pitt. Got crushed vs the Pats in next round, proving he's got to work at it.

Criticize him all u want, but his on- field NFL performance proves he is belongs.

His pass completion percentage in the 11 games he started that year was 46.5%. Not good.

BlackTerrel
05-11-2013, 08:37 PM
I like Tim Tebow. He seems like an awesome dude of average talent who works his ass off and just wants to play and help his team win.

That said I hate how this has been covered as if he's the only Christians in the NFL. Newsflash: 90% of the NFL is Christian. I have a couple friends and even a cousin in the NFL (no one you've heard of) and they're all Baptist too. RG3 is Christian too - where is the love that Tebow gets for his religion?

Nirvikalpa
05-11-2013, 08:39 PM

You sound like you hate free market capitalism?

tttppp
05-11-2013, 08:40 PM

Have you watched the Jets? They gave Sanchez a big contract not to hurt his feelings and eliminates all competition for him.

BlackTerrel
05-11-2013, 08:41 PM
I really wish christians that think they are being persecuted would try to imagine they are not christian and what their life would be like. You will find persecution and most of it comes from self-avowed christians.

I don't get this at all. Like how? How are you or any Americans persecuted by Christians?

BlackTerrel
05-11-2013, 08:43 PM

Of course. Christians are evil and just oppress everyone else :rolleyes:

There is a decent amount of Christian hate on this forum.