PDA

View Full Version : Farmer 'Shocked' After Horses Put Down By State Patrol

green73
05-09-2013, 08:17 AM
[video]

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — The Minnesota State Patrol had to put down two horses after they got away from their Faribault farm early Monday morning. They’d been trying to get the horses back onto their property when they say the situation just became too unsafe. But, as can be imagined, the horses’ owner is very upset — and has to foot the bill.

Suzette Clemens didn’t even realize her quarter horses, Roper and Frenchie, had escaped when a tree fell on her electric fence, until a Rice County deputy showed up at her door in the middle of the night. He told her the horses had to be euthanized.

“I was shocked, shocked, you know,” she said. “They didn’t even spend more than 19 minutes trying to catch them.”

Around 2 a.m. Monday, the horses made it to Interstate 35 near Mile Marker 55 in Faribault, a couple hundred yards from Clemens’ home. When Rice County Deputy Jason Witt first arrived, minutes after the call, he said one horse was on the side of the road and the other was on the freeway. He said once a State Trooper arrived, they unsuccessfully tried to get the 1,100-pound animals back over a 5-foot-high fence. Witt said there were some near-misses with trucks when the horses crossed into the lanes of traffic.

“It was chaotic, I guess, that’s the best way to describe it,” Witt said.

Witt said the brown horses were hard to see in the dark and got more and more agitated as the minutes went on. At one point, one of the horses kicked his squad after the noise of a semi slamming its brakes.

“It’s obviously a situation that we recognize will be tragic for the owners of the horses,” said Lt. Eric Roeske of the Minnesota State Patrol. “It’s not something we take lightly, but at 2 in the morning, in the dark, it’s really just a matter of time before something happens that ends in death or injury to a motorist.”

As for using a tranquilizer on the large animals, Roekse said, “We’re not vets, we don’t have the capability to do that.”

Clemens questioned why troopers or deputies didn’t try to stop traffic.

“I’ve seen people stop traffic for a turkey on a highway, why didn’t they do that,” she asked. “Why didn’t they come get me. It just takes 10 minutes to walk here.”

Roeske said interstates are dangerous enough in the middle of the night. He recounted a story about a trooper hitting a horse last year and ending up seriously injured.

“We’ve seen firsthand how damaging and dangerous it can be,” he said. “At two o’clock in the morning, in the pitch dark, it becomes a very dangerous situation for everyone involved.”

About 20 minutes after the first call came in, the state trooper, along with the deputies present, decided it would be best to put the horses down. The trooper shot the horses with his rifle in the median.

“It’s a horrible, horrible thing,” said Clemens. “They’re part of your family. It isn’t like they’re a cow.”

According to the Minnesota Department of Transportation, Clemens will be held responsible for the removal of the horses in the median.

Clemens said she expects a bill sometime within the year and her insurance company will not be able to cover any of it.

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2013/05/08/minn-farmer-shocked-after-horses-put-down-by-state-patrol/

angelatc
05-09-2013, 08:34 AM
We pay taxes so they can give us tickets while sitting around waiting for something they can bill us for? Is that how this works now?

fisharmor
05-09-2013, 08:39 AM
“I’ve seen people stop traffic for a turkey on a highway, why didn’t they do that,” she asked. “Why didn’t they come get me. It just takes 10 minutes to walk here.”

This is attributing intelligence to police officers which is just about never in evidence.
They followed procedure. They tried to get the subject to do something which makes zero sense (ie asking a horse to walk over a 5' high fence), and when the subject didn't immediately comply, they shot it.

Ender
05-09-2013, 08:39 AM
We pay taxes so they can give us tickets while sitting around waiting for something they can bill us for? Is that how this works now?

But you don't understand, angeltac.

These poor cops might have had to DO something- like turn their &*%^* lights on so that cars could see the horses, coral the place off and call for help from people who knew what they were doing.

donnay
05-09-2013, 08:43 AM
"Cowards of the County" Sheesh.

paulbot24
05-09-2013, 08:56 AM
“We’re not vets, we don’t have the capability to do that.”

Next time I get a ticket or fine for breaking a law, I'll be sure and remind them "I'm not a lawyer. I don't have the capability to do that."

asurfaholic
05-09-2013, 08:56 AM
“It’s a horrible, horrible thing,” said Clemens. “They’re part of your family. It isn’t like they’re a cow.”

Meanwhile, across the state, cows everywhere are reexamining their relationships with their owners.

green73
05-09-2013, 08:57 AM
Meanwhile, across the state, cows everywhere are reexamining their relationships with their owners.

ha

Lucille
05-09-2013, 09:12 AM
Honestly, I don't know how they do it.

As for using a tranquilizer on the large animals, Roekse said, “We’re not vets, we don’t have the capability to do that.”

And again, what ever happened to animal control?

TruckinMike
05-09-2013, 09:24 AM
You can't herd animals as easy as humans. Cops do not understand this. When I was a kid our bull hopped the fence and was passively nibbling on the sweet green grass on the other side. That is until the cops showed up with lights flashing, and sirens yelping. Guess what happened. Yep the bull destroyed one of the vehicles. When we got there we had to get them to shut off there lights and quit yelping their sirens. Once he calmed down ushering him down to the gate was easy.

TMike

paulbot24
05-09-2013, 09:31 AM

You mean this animal control?

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?413295-GA-Cops-ID-wrong-dog-shoot-dog-dead-in-fenced-in-yard&highlight=rabies

Lucille
05-09-2013, 09:34 AM
You mean this animal control?

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?413295-GA-Cops-ID-wrong-dog-shoot-dog-dead-in-fenced-in-yard&highlight=rabies

Ugh.

Brian4Liberty
05-09-2013, 10:53 AM
Horses were in contempt of cop. They refused to obey commands.

HOLLYWOOD
05-09-2013, 11:21 AM
Cops mistaken Horses as Lions or Grizzly Bears?

Practicing for a the upcoming African safari with the cop's lucrative Pay/Vacation/Benefits the taxpaying serfs have to, forgive my words, "Pony Up"?

Philhelm
05-09-2013, 01:07 PM
Maybe a picture of a horse should be added to those "pitbull" pictures that have been circulating.

jbauer
05-09-2013, 01:19 PM
If the horse was at all tame you could have carefully walked up to it and put a halter on it. Its not that hard. Now if you flash your lights and blow the sirens you probably wouldn't catch that horse.

Whats worse, is there is no way a cop could have hit that horse moving with shot at night. It was likely scared looking for a way to get back to its pen. Probably standing still looking at the fence the whole time.

My uncle lives pretty much right by this woman. Right on I35

EBounding
05-09-2013, 01:31 PM
What would happen to me if I shot some horses in the middle of a freeway median? Would I get a medal?

Barrex
05-09-2013, 02:34 PM
Dont know enough to make final judgement but owner of that horse is responsible. How much I dont know without further details.

Spikender
05-09-2013, 03:08 PM
What would happen to me if I shot some horses in the middle of a freeway median? Would I get a medal?

No, you'd get saddled with the bill.

green73
05-09-2013, 03:15 PM
They have moose running around in MinnesOta. They're a hell of a lot bigger than horses. Do cops go around killing them?

tod evans
05-09-2013, 03:26 PM
Assholes!

I was raised on a farm and no sane person shoots a horse!

These idiots must be made to pay, both economically and with their jobs.

I hope that broad has a good lawyer..

aGameOfThrones
05-09-2013, 03:27 PM
This is attributing intelligence to police officers which is just about never in evidence.
They followed procedure. They tried to get the subject to do something which makes zero sense (ie asking a horse to walk over a 5' high fence), and when the subject didn't immediately comply, they shot it.

"The public if they get stopped and simply comply with what they are asked to do, they have nothing to fear, nothing to fear at all. It is when a citizen decides to disregard the direction that they are given, and they decide to do something different, then things escalate, and I’m not talking about this case specifically, but sometimes a citizen will do things that causes us to escalate our actions,” Hill said .

DamianTV
05-09-2013, 06:39 PM
But you don't understand, angeltac.

These poor cops might have had to DO something- like turn their &*%^* lights on so that cars could see the horses, coral the place off and call for help from people who knew what they were doing.

Yeah, we know those people, the same ones that are so good with dogs...

liberty2897
05-09-2013, 07:11 PM
warning: graphic
httx://www.funnyjunk.com/funny_pictures/3848582/he+is+a+pig+not+a+horse/

Henry Rogue
05-09-2013, 07:22 PM
Seems like I always here calls for more training in these cases, So in that spirit, A Buck Brannaman clinc>http://brannaman.com/

BAllen
05-09-2013, 08:49 PM
From a liberty standpoint, it's his job to keep his animals on his property. If he fails to secure them, the safety of his animals are not guaranteed.

fr33
05-09-2013, 08:57 PM
If someone driving down the interstate hit one of the horses, the owner would be singing a different tune.

I agree that the police should have attempted to stop traffic so they could round them up but IMO in that case the owner should have to pay for everyone's time lost.

BAllen
05-09-2013, 08:58 PM
The safety of the travellers on the intersate is the Highway Patrol's responsibility. They did their job. People are more valuable than animals. They did their job.

Icymudpuppy
05-09-2013, 09:02 PM
Do not expect your livestock or pets to come home safe if they roam free. That includes cats, dogs, and horses. Shot by cops without any loss of human life is a lot better than hit by small car with young children on board. Although I think it is likely the police were wholly unprepared to handle horses, spending a couple hours finding a competent horseman in the middle of the night when an accident could happen any second is NOT their job.

bolil
05-09-2013, 09:14 PM
And yet they can shut a road down for flooding in a jiff. In some places, if you hit livestock on a road YOU are liable. Their jobs are specious to begin with, as far as I am concerned.

two squad cars, equipped with all manner of flashing lights.

two directions traffic approaches from.

Seems like they had the all the equipment needed to regulate a small section of highway. Could this situation have had a more tragic conclusion? Yes. Could it have had a less tragic conclusion? Absolutely.

I know, I know, I've never been called on to catch two panicked horses on a highway. I did once chase a dog, on foot, for miles down city streets. Got the sucker too.

I wonder what would happen to any other person that blasted these horses, if said person was caught.

tangent4ronpaul
05-11-2013, 05:46 AM

Must be sequester cuts. You can blame anything on sequester cuts.

:rolleyes:

-t