PDA

View Full Version : FDA Plans to Explore Caffeine Regulations

Origanalist
05-09-2013, 06:44 AM
Dalton Vogler | May 08, 2013

A new announcement from the Food and Drug Administration could bring stringent regulations on caffeine—including age limits. Michael R. Taylor, a deputy commissioner for the FDA released a brief Q+A to address what actions the administration planned to enact.

The “Consumer Health Information” report coincides with the release of Wrigley’s new caffeinated gum, a product that contains the same amount of caffeine as half a cup of coffee. The FDA recently noticed the increased marketing of caffeine towards younger demographics, including decisions by companies to add caffeine to products such as oatmeal, jelly beans, and marshmallows.

“The gum is just one more unfortunate example of the trend to add caffeine to food,” explains Taylor. “Our concern is about caffeine appearing in a range of new products, including ones that may be attractive and readily available without careful consideration of their cumulative impact.”

In response to these growing concerns the FDA will begin to study what the acceptable levels of caffeine are and determine what effects the stimulant has on early development. According to Taylor:

“We’re particularly concerned about children and adolescents and the responsibility FDA and the food industry have to protect public health and respect social norms that suggest we shouldn’t be marketing stimulants, such as caffeine, to our children.”

This isn’t the first time the FDA has imposed regulations on caffeine. Most recently in 2010 the administration banned alcoholic beverages from including caffeine. Studies had shown that the combination often impaired consumer’s ability to determine their level of intoxication.

The FDA’s attempts to control caffeine levels will instantly draw comparisons to New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg and his failed attempts to regulate the consumption of soda. And critics have already begun to pick apart the FDA’s reasoning—as an editorial in The Washington Timesobserves:

“Makers of energy drinks such as Monster and Rockstar appear to be on the government’s radar as well. The FDA is investigating whether these were responsible for the hospitalization and deaths of some teenagers, but did not inquire whether coffee played a role in these tragedies. Coffee-drinking among teenagers has exploded, and a Monster drink has about 50 mg of caffeine — an eighth of the caffeine in an oversized cup of coffee at Starbucks.”

Despite a mounting opposition, the FDA will continue to investigate ways to end the addition of caffeine in foods and beverages. The administration hasn’t ruled out using enforcement as a way to curb production, and could even “go through the regulatory process to establish clear boundaries and conditions on caffeine use”—which would lead to age restrictions, potentially paving the way for “21 and up” coffee laws.

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/daltonvogler/2013/05/08/fda-plans-to-explore-caffeine-regulations-n1591027

moostraks
05-09-2013, 06:50 AM
They need to get a lobbyist from the corn syrup guys to counter any legislation.:p

VIDEODROME
05-09-2013, 07:15 AM
Hmm.... I'm tempted to think it would be a good idea to make information somehow available to consumers, because I do think Monster Energy is really bad for you (and wonderfully addictive ;) ). Not sure Caffeine Prohibition makes any sense though.

It might be more interesting to take a step back and wonder why Americans feel the need to be buzzed on Caffeine all the time. Or on whatever the hell is in Monster Drinks. I gave those up and I often still miss them. I crave them right now just while I type this I'd like to buy a Venom.

Origanalist
05-09-2013, 07:18 AM
Hmm.... I'm tempted to think it would be a good idea to make information somehow available to consumers, because I do think Monster Energy is really bad for you (and wonderfully addictive ;) ). Not sure Caffeine Prohibition makes any sense though.

It might be more interesting to take a step back and wonder why Americans feel the need to be buzzed on Caffeine all the time. Or on whatever the hell is in Monster Drinks. I gave those up and I often still miss them. I crave them right now just while I type this I'd like to buy a Venom.

I think I only tried energy drinks once, taste was awful. But I have a cup of joe every morning.

05-09-2013, 07:21 AM
I don't drink caffeine in any form but I don't need the feds to tell that it's not healthy for me, its pretty obvious. What's next will the feds ban dihydrogen monoxide because if taken in large quantities it causes excessive urination?

Origanalist
05-09-2013, 07:33 AM
I don't drink caffeine in any form but I don't need the feds to tell that it's not healthy for me, its pretty obvious. What's next will the feds ban dihydrogen monoxide because if taken in large quantities it causes excessive urination?

Don't give them any idea's.

donnay
05-09-2013, 07:44 AM
But Taylor (http://www.organicconsumers.org/articles/article_18866.cfm/) will push all those GMO's because they are soooooo good for us. :rolleyes:

These people are predictable!

http://www.davidicke.com/images/stories/November20122/monshop_dees.jpg

Expatriate
05-09-2013, 07:44 AM

Oooh, better ban that dihydrogen monoxide, sounds scary.

Not to mention, both Osama bin Laden and Hitler were hooked on the stuff. It's gotta be bad.

paulbot24
05-09-2013, 07:50 AM
This isn’t the first time the FDA has imposed regulations on caffeine. Most recently in 2010 the administration banned alcoholic beverages from including caffeine. Studies had shown that the combination often impaired consumer’s ability to determine their level of intoxication.

As opposed to the rest of the time, when impaired consumers can measure their levels of intoxication and the effects their behaviors have on social norms extraordinarily well.

Origanalist
05-09-2013, 07:57 AM

This coffee sure is tasting good, mmm, mmm, mmm.

paulbot24
05-09-2013, 08:03 AM
The administration hasn’t ruled out using enforcement as a way to curb production, and could even “go through the regulatory process to establish clear boundaries and conditions on caffeine use”—which would lead to age restrictions, potentially paving the way for “21 and up” coffee laws.

Thank god the kids are already sped up on Ritalin so they won't care.

kathy88
05-09-2013, 08:06 AM

As opposed to the rest of the time, when impaired consumers can measure their levels of intoxication and the effects their behaviors have on social norms extraordinarily well.

I know a guy that used to drink Jack and Jolt. Am I drunk? I don't know can't tell.... Am I drunk? I don't know can't tell. lol

donnay
05-09-2013, 08:28 AM
Also, no gum with caffeine in them, but aspartame...

http://carnagenews.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Approved-300x240.jpg

:rolleyes:

Origanalist
05-09-2013, 08:32 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=YbBUX0jGfp4

:)

VoluntaryAmerican
05-09-2013, 08:36 AM
This coffee sure is tasting good, mmm, mmm, mmm.

Bout to get me one of those.

jkr
05-09-2013, 08:37 AM
Ban the FDA

VIDEODROME
05-09-2013, 08:40 AM
I know a guy that used to drink Jack and Jolt. Am I drunk? I don't know can't tell.... Am I drunk? I don't know can't tell. lol

I thought that was so you could get drunk faster lol.

paulbot24
05-09-2013, 08:42 AM
For the record, I am against this regulation. That being said, can you imagine how annoying it would be trying to talk to a teenager that is chewing caffeinated gum?

VIDEODROME
05-09-2013, 08:44 AM
I think I only tried energy drinks once, taste was awful. But I have a cup of joe every morning.

For a while I had a truck driving job that was pushing me hard. I caved in and finally tried them and started becoming a Monster Energy / Venom Drink junky.

I do believe they contributed to my first case of Gout. For what it's worth, I'm not blaming the Caffeine. I quit trucking and just have coffee now. I think Caffeine is a red herring and other things in these Energy Products are messing with consumer's health.

Ender
05-09-2013, 08:46 AM

Caffeine isn't necessarily bad for you- it actually has some medicinal properties and is an outstanding remedy for things like migraines.

VIDEODROME
05-09-2013, 08:49 AM
It seems I read somewhere caffeine helps prevent cancer.

opal
05-09-2013, 09:00 AM
not gonna happen.. coca cola is too big a lobby - just more of a government cash flush on another uesless study