PDA

View Full Version : In Fla., home signs warn of presence of Sex predators

aGameOfThrones
05-08-2013, 01:09 AM
STARKE, Fla. (AP) — Brian Speer thought he had completed all of his obligations when he registered in Bradford County as a convicted sex predator after serving an eight-year prison sentence for child molestation.

But now, in addition to submitting to a public registry for sex offenders, he has a permanent reminder of his crime posted right in his front yard: a bright red sign reading, "Brian Speer is a convicted Sexual Predator and lives at this location."

The sign is one of 18 the Bradford County Sheriff's Office erected in mid-April outside the homes of convicted sex predators.

The signs have been praised by many residents in the small rural county southwest of Jacksonville, but some question whether the new measure reaches too far and could be harassment against people who have served jail terms and already submit to the public registry. Neighboring Baker County started a similar program six years ago.

"I think it's a lot of bull," said Speer, who was convicted of lewd or lascivious molestation in 2004. "I believe that anybody that has any criminal background should have a sign in front of their house if we have one in front of ours."

http://news.yahoo.com/fla-home-signs-warn-presence-predators-170558861.html

Petar
05-08-2013, 01:13 AM
Haha, fuck him.

He should go live in a forest or something.

better-dead-than-fed
05-08-2013, 01:59 AM
And yet the DOJ claims that its interest in protecting the privacy of sex-offenders justifies its rule against prisoners contacting the ACLU and the media (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1NdMk5q08jnVT6rwic1tBJL960Jpf1fCPOaxo50NET_o/edit?usp=sharing).

Q. Ordinary citizens aren't protected from the media. Why do you feel the need to protect your residents from it?

A. Because they are inmates in my facility, and I have ... my duties are to protect them. ... I have residents of all types of sentence in there, so nobody wants to be disclosed why they're there, what reason is given, the names and so on. If that's something that would be allowed, then we might as well just post them on, I don't know, on some kind of official wall or something.

Q. Well, we've already got sex offender registries.... -- transcript (https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5ZYXb_HdIQhU0kzRUlFSG8xU0U/edit?usp=sharing), pages 11 - 12

Warrior_of_Freedom
05-08-2013, 08:25 AM
not sure how this is a bad thing. What IS a bad thing is when people are registered as sex offenders for pissing behind a bush.

ninepointfive
05-08-2013, 09:09 AM
not sure how this is a bad thing. What IS a bad thing is when people are registered as sex offenders for pissing behind a bush.

which is why you should resist the registry if convicted - and plan to move overseas most likely. quite the bad rap. just goes to show we're sooo far beyond saving this ship

Warrior_of_Freedom
05-08-2013, 09:44 AM
which is why you should resist the registry if convicted - and plan to move overseas most likely. quite the bad rap. just goes to show we're sooo far beyond saving this shipNow that I think about it, I wonder if a convicted murderer has to have a notice on their residence.

ninepointfive
05-08-2013, 09:49 AM
Now that I think about it, I wonder if a convicted murderer has to have a notice on their residence.

nope - i was reading a discussion about murders being something of a "hate crime" one off events, lest it be a serial killer - and pedos have a persistent desire. which was the reasoning.... just reporting that.

pcosmar
05-08-2013, 09:55 AM
Now that I think about it, I wonder if a convicted murderer has to have a notice on their residence.

Or a burglar,, Pot dealer,, what about writing bad checks?

Hey,, how about just tattooing their "crime" on their faces. Maybe different colors for various crimes.

Just forget about ever rehabilitating anyone and returning them to productive citizens. :(

pcosmar
05-08-2013, 10:01 AM
nope - i was reading a discussion about murders being something of a "hate crime" one off events, lest it be a serial killer - and pedos have a persistent desire. which was the reasoning.... just reporting that.

Perhaps that is true.. And perhaps Every human in the world has sexual desires..
That makes everyone a predator.

Fact is,,, actual Pedophiles are only a fraction of "registered Sex Offenders".
And some are just stupid shit,, like taking a piss in the park while drunk.

Keith and stuff
05-08-2013, 10:13 AM
That's a violation of civil rights. Shame on those old busybodies in FL and their violations of civil rights. This seems like someone Obama would support.

asurfaholic
05-08-2013, 10:13 AM
Perhaps that is true.. And perhaps Every human in the world has sexual desires..

Cant forget about the young teens charged with rape just because the girl was 1 or 2 years younger than them. That is the worst thing to me...

I doubt many on the registry are really "dangerous."

And if they are "dangerous" enough to require a sign outside their home, then maybe they should still be in jail...

tangent4ronpaul
05-08-2013, 10:17 AM
The charge: "convicted of lewd or lascivious molestation" sounds like exactly that - getting caught pissing behind a bush or having a "wardrobe malfunction". :rolleyes:

-t

Keith and stuff
05-08-2013, 10:48 AM
Cant forget about the young teens charged with rape just because the girl was 1 or 2 years younger than them. That is the worst thing to me...
I thought there was a teen in UT that was charged. He was younger than the girl.

I don't have an issue with the registry existing but every single person on it should have their crime looked at, to see if it is deserving on being on the list. Who knows, maybe 1/2 of the people on the list shouldn't be there.

CaptUSA
05-08-2013, 10:57 AM
Note to self: Get me one of those signs for over the bed...

Also, just thinking this ought to keep the kids off my lawn!

TonySutton
05-08-2013, 11:01 AM
If this is ok, hten branding a big P on their forehead is even better...

These people are crazy. He served his time. If he is a danger to society then he should still be in jail or some sort of psychiatric facility. If there is no reason to detain him then there is no reason to mark him with a scarlet letter.

James Madison
05-08-2013, 11:01 AM
So, what did this guy actually do? The article doesn't say.

But it's for the children, right?:rolleyes:

otherone
05-08-2013, 11:20 AM
If he is a danger to society then he should still be in jail or some sort of psychiatric facility. If there is no reason to detain him then there is no reason to mark him with a scarlet letter.

This.
Does the state truly believes that a lawn sign will protect someone from a sexual predator? Or maybe shame someone into not being a predator?
Obviously, the government is doing the only thing it always does...making people believe they FEEL safe without actually protecting them.

tod evans
05-08-2013, 11:34 AM
These are all instances of what I believe to be prosecutorial misconduct worthy of publically flogging the prosecutor at minimum...

For Heavens sake pissing on a bush or two 16 y/o kids having consensual sex isn't a sex crime in my book...

Prosecuting attorneys who seek indictment in cases like these must be held accountable!

I doubt many on the registry are really "dangerous."

And if they are "dangerous" enough to require a sign outside their home, then maybe they should still be in jail...

The charge: "convicted of lewd or lascivious molestation" sounds like exactly that - getting caught pissing behind a bush or having a "wardrobe malfunction". :rolleyes:

-t

I thought there was a teen in UT that was charged. He was younger than the girl.

I don't have an issue with the registry existing but every single person on it should have their crime looked at, to see if it is deserving on being on the list. Who knows, maybe 1/2 of the people on the list shouldn't be there.

better-dead-than-fed
05-08-2013, 11:45 AM
The lawn sign is bizarre. Public court-proceedings and records are vital for the protection of defendants. The registry doesn't give more info than the public court records, I think, except that you can search the registry by name or zipcode and find the current residential address of a convict. The registry would be better if it allowed the convict to add his own statement (e.g., "All I did was piss behind a bush."). The registry is definitely used for the harassment of registered convicts. I wonder if it's ever actually used for the protection of anyone.

PaulConventionWV
05-08-2013, 09:28 PM
If someone serves the time for their crime, they should get a second chance. Having a sign on your lawn against your will that forever brands you is not a second chance because it indicates that the person is still a criminal no matter what he/she does. I don't like the idea of the state lording over its sex offenders because, for some reason, they're especially evil, more evil than all the other criminals and need the government to control how society sees them. That's not to mention all the crazy reasons a guy can get locked up for "sexual misconduct" these days. It's really a shame that the state is forcing people to live with this hanging over their heads.