PDA

View Full Version : LAPD: 3 parties to split $1 million Dorner reward

kcchiefs6465
05-07-2013, 11:27 PM
LOS ANGELES — The vast majority of the $1 million reward offered in the manhunt for rogue ex-cop Christopher Dorner will go to a couple who he tied up in their Big Bear cabin, police said Tuesday.

The Los Angeles Police Department posted a document on its website in which a panel of three judges detailed the payouts for the much-sought reward.

They decided that about $800,000 will go to James and Karen Reynolds. Daniel McGowan, who found Dorner's burning truck in the Big Bear area where he eventually was discovered, will get $150,000, and $50,000 will go to tow truck driver R.L. McDaniel, who reported spotting Dorner at a gas station earlier in the manhunt.

The $1 million reward was announced by Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa during Dorner's rampage in February.

Dorner had vowed warfare on LAPD officers and their families for what he called an unfair firing. He killed four people, including two law enforcement officers, during his nearly one-week run from authorities that ended with his death on Feb. 12.

A dozen parties came forward claiming they provided the key tip that ultimately led Dorner to hole up in a vacant mountain cabin where he apparently took his own life after a shootout with law enforcement.

The reward was coordinated through more than 30 agencies or entities, including the FBI, the Los Angeles Dodgers and the University of Southern California – but details of the offer were never written down, so it lacked specifics.

The uncertainty and competing legal claims have caused controversy in the months since the manhunt ended. Some entities that contributed money for the reward withdrew their pledges because Dorner wasn't captured or convicted.

The judges' memorandum said in awarding the money, they decided the "comparative value of the information provided and how directly it causally led to Dorner's capture."

The manhunt was underway Feb. 7 when McDaniel spotted Dorner at an AM/PM gas station in Corona. He was about to call police when he spotted an LAPD squad car and alerted the officers.

"As the officers interviewed Mr. McDaniel, Dorner's vehicle turned back ... and passed by the AM/PM en route to Interstate 15 northbound. Mr. McDaniel positively identified the truck," and officers gave chase immediately, according to the document.

That chase led to two shootouts between Dorner and law enforcement. One officer was injured in the first shootout, and one was killed and another was critically wounded in the second.

Dorner then escaped 50 miles northeast to Big Bear, but that wouldn't be known until the next breakthrough in the investigation, the document said.

McGowan, who works for the Snow Summit ski resort in Big Bear Lake, called authorities Feb. 7 after he spotted a burning truck on the side of a rarely used, unpaved fire route. He called authorities, who discovered the truck belonged to Dorner.

That information initiated an intensive, focused search for Dorner, with hundreds of Southern California law enforcement officials descending on the Big Bear Lake area. Officers went door to door hunting for Dorner in the following days, but it wasn't until Feb. 12 that they received their next fruitful tip.

Karen Reynolds called authorities to say Dorner had held her and her husband at gunpoint and tied them up before stealing their purple Nissan SUV to escape.

Karen Reynolds identified Dorner, gave the location of the cabin and the Nissan's description. Less than half an hour later, he was spotted by Fish and Wildlife wardens and a chase ensued.

Dorner then crashed the Reynolds' vehicle and carjacked camp ranger Rick Heltebrake, and it was his vehicle that was tracked to a cabin where Dorner later died.

A message seeking comment was left for James Reynolds on Tuesday night.

Heltebrake filed a lawsuit last week seeking the $1 million reward but did not submit a claim under the reward's process, according to the document. To qualify for the reward, claimants had to have contacted law enforcement and provide information that furthered the investigation and led to capture.

A message seeking comment was left for Heltebrake's lawyer.

hxxp://www.huffingtonpost.com/huff-wires/20130508/us-lapd-revenge-killings-reward/

TheTexan
05-07-2013, 11:33 PM
See something, say something. (and get paid)

kcchiefs6465
05-07-2013, 11:41 PM
See something, say something. (and get paid)

University of Colorado police have posted 150 photos of people attending an annual gathering last week where hundreds smoked marijuana.

Police are offering $50 rewards for information about the people, many of whom are shown with hand-rolled cigarettes, glass pipes or bongs. One young man was photographed while he was streaking.

Authorities said the protesters they were trespassing on Farrand Field, which is surrounded by several dorms, despite signs and security posted to keep them away.

About 2,500 people attended the festive event, but police estimated less than half were using the drug. A local restaurant gave away sandwiches, while people dressed in costumes and danced to the beat of drums.

The gathering occurs on campus at 4:20 p.m. on April 20 each year.

Members of The Grateful Dead are believed to have organized the first 4/20 celebration in 1979 in San Jose, Calif., where "420" was rumored to be police code for marijuana smoking. A check of police codes in California, however, revealed no jurisdiction uses 420 as a code for marijuana. Some pot smokers use "420" as a code to speak about marijuana openly among unsuspecting teachers and parents, according to a popular Web site.

Police asked the public to look at the photos and call (303) 492-8168 if they recognize anyone in the pictures.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/cu-posts-pictures-of-pot-smoking-event
That isn't the first I've seen the rewards so low. Some people have nothing better to do than spy on their neighbors. Freedom to me is, you leave me alone, and I'll leave you alone. I really can't understand some peoples' problems.

RonPaulFanInGA
05-10-2013, 08:08 AM
Or not:

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2013/05/10/dorner-carjacking-victim-files-injunction-to-stop-distribution-of-1-2m-reward/

Dorner Carjacking Victim Files Injunction To Stop Distribution Of $1.2M Reward

LOS ANGELES (CBSLA.com) — The attorney for a Big Bear-area camp ranger whose truck was carjacked by Christopher Dorner is expected to file an injunction Friday to prevent a $1.2 million reward from being distributed.

Rick Heltebrake claims his 911 call on Feb. 12 led authorities to Dorner’s whereabouts before the quadruple-murder suspect ultimately barricaded himself inside a cabin and took his own life.

“I believe it was my call that directly led the end of the largest manhunt in California history,” Heltebrake said.

The Los Angeles Police Department announced Tuesday that three parties, excluding, Heltebrake, will split the reward which is made up from various contributing agencies.

In a document posted online, the department said a three-judge panel decided 80 percent of the money ($800,000) will go to Jim and Karen Reynolds, the couple who called 911 after they were tied up and held at gun point by Dorner at their Big Bear condo.

Fifteen percent of the reward ($150,000) will go to ski resort employee Daniel McGowan, who found Dorner’s burned-out pickup truck on the side of a remote Big Bear Lake road.

“He found the truck, which initiated the manhunt in Big Bear. Before that they were looking in Mexico, in Las Vegas, in Utah. This was pure evidence that this was Dorner and he was on foot,” said McGowan’s attorney, Daniel Romey.

Lastly, 5 percent ($50,000) will go to R. Lee McDaniel, a tow truck driver who spotted Dorner at an AM/PM in Corona Feb. 7. McDaniel’s sighting led to two shootouts between law enforcement and Dorner.

The panel said Heltebrake’s information came after officers were already engaged with Dorner.

The reward is expected to be distributed to the chosen recipients Friday.

paulbot24
05-10-2013, 08:26 AM
That isn't the first I've seen the rewards so low. Some people have nothing better to do than spy on their neighbors. Freedom to me is, you leave me alone, and I'll leave you alone. I really can't understand some peoples' problems.

Agreed. There is just way too much money to be made in being involved in every body else's business. American Gestapo.