PDA

View Full Version : CO - Dacono police shoot ‘emotional service dog’ after it rushes officers

Anti Federalist
05-06-2013, 08:39 PM
Dacono police shoot ‘emotional service dog’ after it rushes officers

http://kdvr.com/2013/05/06/dacono-police-shoot-emotional-service-dog-after-it-rushes-officers/

Posted on: 1:55 pm, May 6, 2013, by Matt Farley, updated on: 01:59pm, May 6, 2013

DENVER — Police in Dacono shot a resident’s service dog Sunday night after the pit bull charged at them, the Dacono Police Department said Monday.

The dog, named Mongo, was expected to survive.

Two unidentified officers responded to a report of a loose, aggressive dog trying to get into a resident’s yard about 9 p.m., the department said. Upon arrival at the home on Mac Donald Street, they found a brown and white pit bull barking and jumping against the outside of the fence, possibly trying to get at dogs inside the yard.

The dog reportedly growled and advanced on police, but backed down when they shouted and shined a flashlight at it. The resident of the home called her dogs inside the house, at which point the dog rushed one of the officers again.

The officer shot it once in the chest with a .45 caliber service weapon. The dog then reportedly ran off, yelping. Police followed a blood trail to find the dog at its owners home, where it allegedly lunged at them a third time. The dog’s owner said it had escaped from his yard, adding that it was a PTSD emotional service dog.

One officer interviewed residents at the first home, who confirmed that the dog had been bounding against the fence until they worried it might collapse. Another officer accompanied Mongo and its owner to a veterinary office in Longmont.

The dog was declared in stable condition, so police left it in the custody of its owner.

asurfaholic
05-06-2013, 08:45 PM
I think the homeowners probably hav a right to shoot a dog that is actively bounding against property...

Not sure why animal control can't respond to these types of calls...

LibertyEagle
05-06-2013, 08:48 PM
Yeah, what the hell happened to Animal Control? Do they still exist?

ninepointfive
05-06-2013, 08:49 PM
I think the homeowners probably hav a right to shoot a dog that is actively bounding against property...

Not sure why animal control can't respond to these types of calls...

bring back dog catchers

DamianTV
05-07-2013, 12:29 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3XrKkrAZpY

Should be mandatory viewing for cops.

phill4paul
05-07-2013, 12:49 AM
The dog was declared in stable condition, so police left it in the custody of its owner.

I'm sure they will get an award by the Patrolman Benevolent Association. How nice of them.

Tod
05-07-2013, 05:19 AM
Yeah, what the hell happened to Animal Control? Do they still exist?

In my county, there is a paid dog warden, but if it isn't during his working hours the police (or sheriff in rural areas) handle the calls. There is also a volunteer with the county Humane Society, but he makes calls when he can, as he holds a regular job not related to animal control.