PDA

View Full Version : "Teenagers, social media, and terrorism: a threat level hard to assess"

giskard
05-05-2013, 11:00 AM
I threw up reading this one. What a moron.

http://news.yahoo.com/teenagers-social-media-terrorism-threat-level-hard-assess-131320139.html

“... we need indicators to know something’s not right,” says Sgt. Ed Mullins of the New York Police Department, ...

"Using a zero tolerance approach to track domestic terrorists online is the only reasonable way to analyze online threats these days, especially after the Boston Marathon bombing and news that the suspects had subsequently planned to target Times Square in Manhattan, Mullins says. The way law enforcement agencies approach online activity that appears sinister is this: “If you’re not a terrorist, if you’re not a threat, prove it,” [he says?].

“This is the price you pay to live in free society right now. It’s just the way it is,” Mullins adds."

torchbearer
05-05-2013, 11:01 AM
you have to live as a slave to be free. how orwellian.

This is the price you pay to live in free society right now

Origanalist
05-05-2013, 11:03 AM
“This is the price you pay to live in free society right now. It’s just the way it is,” Mullins adds."

Oh ya, we're way down the rabbit hole now.

Carson
05-05-2013, 11:04 AM
"Using a zero tolerance approach to track domestic terrorists online is the only reasonable way to analyze online threats these days, especially after the Boston Marathon bombing and news that the suspects had subsequently planned to target Times Square in Manhattan, Mullins says. The way law enforcement agencies approach online activity that appears sinister is this: “If you’re not a terrorist, if you’re not a threat, prove it,” [he says?].

Tops the list in this thread.

Anti Federalist
05-05-2013, 11:08 AM
I'm starting to think the only sane place in the world is in the nuthouse with Jack.

The way law enforcement agencies approach online activity that appears sinister is this: “If you’re not a terrorist, if you’re not a threat, prove it,”

“This is the price you pay to live in a free society right now. It’s just the way it is,” Mullins adds."

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m03dutXOzM1qbxmbeo1_500.gif

ClydeCoulter
05-05-2013, 12:14 PM
I'm starting to think the only sane place in the world is in the nuthouse with Jack.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m03dutXOzM1qbxmbeo1_500.gif

Maybe those nuts just see the future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eb46yXP211w

MelissaWV
05-05-2013, 12:16 PM
20 years for "mentioning" the White House and bombings. Look at what sorts of crimes get you LESS than 20 years. There is actually a very popular children's song in Spanish about blowing up your school with dynamite. I shudder to think what would happen if that were sung in a school today.

Anti Federalist
05-05-2013, 06:32 PM
////

tangent4ronpaul
05-05-2013, 11:16 PM
20 years for "mentioning" the White House and bombings. Look at what sorts of crimes get you LESS than 20 years. There is actually a very popular children's song in Spanish about blowing up your school with dynamite. I shudder to think what would happen if that were sung in a school today.

title?
history?

thanks,

-t

sailingaway
05-05-2013, 11:25 PM
Yeah, that pissed me off. They are kids. Kids have been pretending they are big shots since time began, but the government didn't used to be eavesdropping on everything they said.

sailingaway
05-05-2013, 11:28 PM
title?
history?

thanks,

-t

You don't have to go to Spanish language. Just mentally review the words to the longstanding parody song 'Glory, Glory, Hallilujah, Teacher hit me with a ruler.....;'

jclay2
05-05-2013, 11:29 PM
Can we implement a zero tolerance policy for the FBI creating patsys? One strike and your done. How about that?

Mani
05-06-2013, 12:14 AM
Honestly is there any greater quote than this???

“If you’re not a terrorist, if you’re not a threat, prove it,” [he says?].

“This is the price you pay to live in free society right now. It’s just the way it is,” Mullins adds.

This has to be on of the greatest oxymorons ever written.

GUILTY until PROVEN innocent....and with the case of these kids...They are more thought/speech crimes....There is NO way to prove your innocent when your locked up without actually carrying out any crime.

DamianTV
05-06-2013, 02:06 AM
Good luck proving your innocense once accused. Terrorism is a modern day witch hunt where proof of guilt only needs to be that one was accused of sorcery.

The courts are also not there to protect the Rights of the People. Courts now exist only to support Govt and the Illusion of Rights.

better-dead-than-fed
05-06-2013, 03:54 AM
There is NO way to prove your innocent when your locked up without actually carrying out any crime.

Good luck proving your innocense once accused.

2012-Dec-11 transcript (https://docs.google.com/file/d/1pml-iwKFYcoLWkG_mYd3STn497oAQHfe_CGKI5kgkEYWkx2eZVeJ97 pFEjju/edit?usp=sharing):

THE COURT: I am trying to move these proceedings along because you are in custody, and I think it behooves you to get things done as -- what's the word I want to use? -- expeditiously as possible.

THE DEFENDANT: ... I am entitled to a full and fair hearing... but as far as me being -- my avoiding unnecessary time in custody, I think that the lawmakers address that by providing for me to be released on bail in the meantime, ... I mean, that's what the lawmakers put out there, and that's what I'm asking for.

THE COURT: ...I'm not going to release you while the petition is pending.

THE DEFENDANT: ... What authority would you have to hold me?

THE COURT: Mine.

THE DEFENDANT: Nothing -- no statutory --

THE COURT: ... let's not get into an argument about that.

2013-Jan-22 transcript (https://docs.google.com/file/d/1tiiDIUj8FYPnoXBd3zccTXw9--P4yaECGcKyLmHUz1-Gnp8xL_wH1TQoy-lh/edit?usp=sharing):

THE DEFENDANT: since our last meeting ... December 12th, I've been allowed five hours and only five hours accessing legal reference materials, namely LexisNexis. That's an average of 7.6 minutes per day. That's all I've been allowed.