05-04-2013, 05:58 PM
Joy...

Robotic insect: World's smallest flying robot takes off

2 May 2013 Last updated at 14:05 ET

By Victoria Gill

Science reporter, BBC News

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-22380287

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/67370000/jpg/_67370661_67370657.jpg

Scientists in the US have created a robot the size of a fly that is able to perform the agile manoeuvres of the ubiquitous insects.

This "robo-fly", built from carbon fibre, weighs a fraction of a gram and has super-fast electronic "muscles" to power its wings.

Its Harvard University developers say tiny robots like theirs may eventually be used in rescue operations.

It could, for example, navigate through tiny spaces in collapsed buildings.

The development is reported in the journal Science.

Tethered flight: It will take "a few more years" before the robo-flies will be able to carry a power source
Dr Kevin Ma from Harvard University and his team, led by Dr Robert Wood, say they have made the world's smallest flying robot.

It also has the fly-like agility that allows the insects to evade even the swiftest of human efforts to swat them.

This comes largely from very precise wing movements.

By constantly adjusting the effect of lift and thrust acting on its body at an incredibly high speed, the insect's (and the robot's) wings enable it to hover, or to perform sudden evasive manoeuvres.

And just like a real fly, the robot's thin, flexible wings beat approximately 120 times every second.

The researchers achieved this wing speed with special substance called piezoelectric material, which contracts every time a voltage is applied to it.

By very rapidly switching the voltage on and off, the scientists were able to make this material behave like just like the tiny muscles that makes a fly's wings beat so fast.

"We get it to contract and relax, like biological muscle," said Dr Ma.

The main goal of this research was to understand how insect flight works, rather than to build a useful robot.

He added though that there could be many uses for such a diminutive flying vehicle.

"We could envision these robots being used for search-and-rescue operations to search for human survivors under collapsed buildings or [in] other hazardous environments," he said.

"They [could] be used for environmental monitoring, to be dispersed into a habitat to sense trace chemicals or other factors.

Dr Ma even suggested that the robots could behave like many real insects and assist with the pollination of crops, "to function as the now-struggling honeybee populations do in supporting agriculture around the world".

The current model of robo-fly is tethered to a small, off-board power source but Dr Ma says the next step will be to miniaturise the other bits of technology that will be needed to create a "fully wireless flying robot".

"It will be a few more years before full integration is possible," he said.

"Until then, this research project continues to be very captivating work because of its similarity to natural insects. It is a demonstration of how far human engineering ingenuity has reached, to be mimicking natural systems."

Dr Jon Dyhr, a biologist from the University of Washington who also studies insect flight, said these flying robots were "impressive feats of engineering".

"The physics of flight at such small scales is relatively poorly understood which makes designing small flying systems very difficult," he told BBC News, adding that biological systems provided "critical insights into designing our own artificial flyers".

PSYOP
05-04-2013, 06:04 PM
Drones the size of insects coming soon!

robert68
05-04-2013, 06:16 PM
Anarchist engineers take note.

Anti Federalist
05-04-2013, 06:30 PM
Drones the size of insects coming soon!

I had people laughing at me a couple of years back when I said that was coming.

pacelli
05-04-2013, 06:30 PM
Yeah, that will bring back the honeybee populations for sure....

God damn, are they intentionally trying to fuck up the planet or what?

sailingaway
05-04-2013, 07:29 PM
http://us.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/bovalentino/bovalentino1104/bovalentino110400013/9264772-woman-with-fly-swatter.jpg

Anti Federalist
05-04-2013, 07:33 PM
Felony destruction of government property.

http://us.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/bovalentino/bovalentino1104/bovalentino110400013/9264772-woman-with-fly-swatter.jpg

sailingaway
05-04-2013, 07:36 PM
As I recall there was a recent poll where a plurality of Americans felt you should have the right to shoot down a drone that took a picture of your house.

better-dead-than-fed
05-04-2013, 10:36 PM
Assault rifle's no good against a swarm of robotic bees.

Henry Rogue
05-04-2013, 10:55 PM
Assault rifle's no good against a swarm of robotic bees.Shotgun seems the right tool for the job. From a story of my youth. My Grandfather and his brothers as young men where tasked with bee keeping, a job they didn't care for. Apparently every once in awhile A queen decides to move her colony. Not sure what to do, they grabbed their shotguns and pretty much wiped out the whole lot. I guess my Great Grandfather was very angry.

Anti Federalist
05-04-2013, 11:03 PM
Shotgun seems the right tool for the job. From a story of my youth. My Grandfather and his brothers as young men where tasked with bee keeping, a job they didn't care for. Apparently every once in awhile A queen decides to move her colony. Not sure what to do, they grabbed their shotguns and pretty much wiped out the whole lot. I guess my Great Grandfather was very angry.

Bee gone with you, the whole stinging lot of you.

OK...I'll leave.

jclay2
05-04-2013, 11:08 PM
I had people laughing at me a couple of years back when I said that was coming.

AF...your paranoid side is coming out again. If you would have bothered to actually read the article:

Its Harvard University developers say tiny robots like theirs may eventually be used in rescue operations.

/endsarc

I actually watched a pbs video a couple months back called "Rise of the Drones". In it one of scientists said the hope for his smart drone was to be utilized in rescue operations like counting the number of people stuck in a building on fire as opposed to spying and war. These scientists have either completely deluded themselves or are actively working for the dark side. My guess is its the latter.

Krzysztof Lesiak
05-04-2013, 11:09 PM
I'm so fucking baked right now. Me and some friends got stoned and walked around to a mcdonald it was some awesome and then just walked back and crashed.

legalize maurijauana america

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deB_u-to-IE

Krzysztof Lesiak
05-04-2013, 11:11 PM
^ My 420th post, how appropriate for the topic of it :cool:

TaftFan
05-04-2013, 11:16 PM
I'm guessing in a few years ladies will have to avoid the public restrooms and changing rooms.

Marijuana? Booze? Nope....teens will be buying drones for their spare time.

better-dead-than-fed
05-04-2013, 11:34 PM
deleted

S.Shorland
05-05-2013, 02:19 AM
They'll go for the eyes...

luctor-et-emergo
05-05-2013, 02:21 AM
Felony destruction of government property.

What if your pet commits the felony ?
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-BxTNMxHc42o/TV5hWZvjs5I/AAAAAAAAAwo/ZLg-FUwFIaw/s1600/cheats-chameleon.jpg

WhistlinDave
05-05-2013, 03:43 AM
Reminds me of the little spider drones in Minority Report, only worse because these will be flying...

In the beginning these will be so expensive I doubt they would be used to spy on the average joe doing fairly average things. Wouldn't be used to keep tabs on a weed smoker; maybe on a drug kingpin. That's my guess anyway. A decade or two down the road though, when they don't cost as much, who knows?

I think someone should start working on making home protection models, little battle drones that'll take out any unknown drones that come into one's airspace. The defense drones could have little praying mantis arm blades, and be our little protector buddies, like a mini-gang of robotic Pokemon to tear the shit out of any spy drones that wander into one's yard or too close to the house... You could have a swarm of tiny ones for the housefly drones, and maybe one or two bigger ones to handle any bigger intruders.

Do we need a new Second Amendment, a 28th Amendment, to give us the right to keep and bear drones for defense against government drones? I'm halfway kidding, but seriously, I hope we can get some good legal protections in place fast because this technology is getting way ahead of the law.