PDA

View Full Version : WSJ: "Cruz Revisionism"-John McCain RT's...Amash sticks up for fellow wacko bird

supermario21
05-04-2013, 05:57 PM
John McCain ‏@SenJohnMcCain 2h
Must-read RT @WSJopinion: Cruz Revisionism http://on.wsj.com/15aTziJ
View summary

Freshman Senator Ted Cruz wants to shake up Washington, which is certainly needed. But if we can offer the Texan one piece of friendly advice: Try to avoid getting a reputation for rewriting history, especially recent history that everyone remembers.

That thought comes to mind after we heard about Mr. Cruz's speech last weekend to FreedomWorks, the tea party-affiliated activist group. While making the case for his filibuster strategy on the Senate gun-control bill, Mr. Cruz suddenly took our name in vain.

"All of the reporters said, 'Okay, you guys have lost, and that shows what imbeciles you are.' In fact the WSJ wrote two op-eds bashing Rand [Paul] and Mike [Lee] and me for being imbeciles for fighting on this. Didn't we understand?" Mr. Cruz told the crowd.

"And yet you go forward to a week ago when the votes came on the floor of the Senate. Every single proposal in President Obama's gun-control agenda that would have undermined the Second Amendment, every single one was voted down on the floor of the Senate. I got to tell you—the look of shock from the senior Democrats. They were convinced they had won."

This account is wrong about his strategy, our commentary, and what happened. We also didn't call him an "imbecile," or any other name. The strategy of Mr. Cruz and his comrades was to use the filibuster to block any gun control measure from even getting votes on the floor. We criticized that as misguided, since it would let Senate Democrats avoid difficult votes and open Republicans to Mr. Obama's criticism that they were obstructionists for blocking a Senate debate and votes.

In the event, Mr. Cruz's GOP colleagues agreed with us. They helped to override his filibuster attempt and let the bill proceed to the floor. Whereupon a bipartisan coalition emerged that defeated the gun-control amendments, as each one failed to get 60 votes or in some cases (the assault-weapons ban) even 50.

Mr. Cruz now wants to take credit for that victory when he opposed the strategy that led to it. Had he and Mr. Paul had their way, no such bipartisan coalition would have emerged. Mr. Obama and Majority Leader Harry Reid would be blaming the GOP for their defeat, and moderate Republicans in the Northeast would be under more political pressure. Now gun-rights Democrats are feeling the political heat from the White House and the gun-control PACs.

Normally we'd ignore this insider politics, but Senators Cruz and Paul have been declaring for all to hear that they and a few others are the only conservatives of principle in politics. That's not the way it turned out on gun control because the dispute wasn't about principle. The debate was about how to fight for principle in an intelligent way that had the best chance of winning.

Mr. Cruz will have more success in the Senate, and in his mooted Presidential candidacy, if he stops pretending that he's Nathan Hale and everyone else is Benedict Arnold.

Fortunately Amash came to defend Cruz...

Justin Amash ‏@repjustinamash 17m
You're such a #wackobird, @SenTedCruz. Leave to adults. “@SenJohnMcCain: Must-read RT @WSJopinion: Cruz Revisionism http://on.wsj.com/15aTziJ ”

More of this, and Cruz is going to be even more on our team than we ever thought he'd be.

PSYOP
05-04-2013, 05:59 PM
I still have a weird feeling about Cruz, but he's doing a stand up job so far.

Christian Liberty
05-04-2013, 06:00 PM
Cruz IS Benedict Arnold. He voted to give critical medical data to the Feds, and I don't think his foreign policy is very good either.

Rand Paul isn't perfect. But its offensive to compare him to Cruz. Rand is WAY better than Cruz.

PSYOP
05-04-2013, 06:02 PM
Cruz IS Benedict Arnold. He voted to give critical medical data to the Feds, and I don't think his foreign policy is very good either.

Rand Paul isn't perfect. But its offensive to compare him to Cruz. Rand is WAY better than Cruz.

That's a bit extreme imo.... yeah, he isn't perfect, but he's also not neocon material.

supermario21
05-04-2013, 06:13 PM
While I agree with a lot of what FF says, look at how Cruz is being treated by the establishment neocons. This is just going to keep pushing him more and more into our camp.

Christian Liberty
05-04-2013, 06:27 PM
That's a bit extreme imo.... yeah, he isn't perfect, but he's also not neocon material.

You know, yeah, there are plenty of guys who are "Worse" but then, nobody thought they were on our side anyway. There are ninety-eight traitors in the senate. Then there are Rand Paul and Mike Lee. Cruz has voted in violation of his oath. He IS a traitor. That so many liberty movement people like him just makes him a Benedict Arnold.

While I agree with a lot of what FF says, look at how Cruz is being treated by the establishment neocons. This is just going to keep pushing him more and more into our camp.

Maybe. I'll certainly take him if he does. Libertaians aren't made in a day. Heck, there aren't ANY purists in the senate, Rand Paul is certainly the best and even he is taking some unlibertarian positions for pragmatic reasons. The bottom line is that he's not on our team YET, however.

anaconda
05-04-2013, 06:29 PM

I'm getting really tired of that lady in the little purple coat. She and her WSJ ilk really aren't happy that there are those that take issue with the warfare/welfare mainstream GOP and wish to make something more principled of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70ZhczY0qkw

Christian Liberty
05-04-2013, 06:33 PM
I'm getting really tired of that lady in the little purple coat. She and her WSJ ilk really aren't happy that there are those that take issue with the warfare/welfare mainstream GOP and wish to make something more principled of it.

Isn't Cruz a bit of a warfare-statist himself?

I wish there was someone in the senate who was TOTALLY opposed to the welfare-warfare state. But then, you can't actually do that and get to the senate. RON Paul tried.

And yeah, everyone else is a "Benedict Arnold" too. There are ninety-eight traitors in the senate, as far as I understand it.

supermario21
05-04-2013, 06:45 PM
I don't know. Cruz hasn't been bad on any FP votes yet since they really haven't had any and he seemed to think Hagel would make war "more likely," adding that "I don't want to see that happen." So Cruz is a bit of an enigma there, I think he just likes to steal the limelight and throwing punches at Hagel was the way to do it, at least that day.

Rudeman
05-04-2013, 07:32 PM
When ranking Senators I would put it Rand, Lee, then Cruz. I think it's foolish to completely dismiss people because they do something you may disagree with.

Also not sure who is comparing Rand with Cruz, I think most (if not all) would agree that Rand is better.

HOLLYWOOD
05-04-2013, 07:53 PM
WJS/Wall Street Journal = NEWSCORP aka FOX Elitist Corporatism = NEOCON NATIONAL FASCISTS

10 house McCain... man the Central Bankers aka NEOCONS have their hands so far up John's ass, there's usurper tweets being sent to the public.

Christian Liberty
05-04-2013, 08:21 PM
I don't. I dismiss people who vote in treason to the constitution. Cruz has. If I dismissed everyone I disagreed with I would have dismissed Rand Paul, and even Ron Paul. I don't agree with them on everything. I disagree with Ron every now and then, and I disagree with Rand often. Rand, however, has not betrayed his oath. Cruz has.

osan
05-04-2013, 08:21 PM
Anyone getting one's political opinions from the WSJ would be better served turning to Marvel Comics.

Anti Federalist
05-04-2013, 08:47 PM
Anyone getting one's political opinions from the WSJ would be better served turning to Marvel Comics.

War Street Journal.

paulbot24
05-04-2013, 09:10 PM
"...the dispute wasn't about principle. The debate was about how to fight for principle in an intelligent way that had the best chance of winning."

No wonder Ron was such an enigma to these people. These people do not understand being principled. Christ, they make it sound like a beauty pageant or a popularity contest. If they understood this at all, they would know that when you take a principled stand on something, as in whether it is constitutional or not, it's actually very simple and you have the quiet confidence in knowing that you are doing the right thing. You don't worry about how to gloss it up and make it taste sweet so people will like it and you will "win." Principled people will understand and agree with you, also out of principle, or they won't because they don't base their decisions on principle. They are busy trying to win over the crowd, sell their idea, and be on the winning team. Either it is constitutional or it is not. If you find yourself glossing and sugarcoating an idea so it will seem more appealing to people, it's probably not a principled one. The constitution doesn't need gloss and glitter.

anaconda
05-04-2013, 11:09 PM

I wish there was someone in the senate who was TOTALLY opposed to the welfare-warfare state. But then, you can't actually do that and get to the senate. RON Paul tried.

And yeah, everyone else is a "Benedict Arnold" too. There are ninety-eight traitors in the senate, as far as I understand it.

I'm still watching Cruz. I don't know where is campaign money and other support came from. Could be only 97 traitors. Hasn't Cruz's voting been extremely good so far?

KingNothing
05-04-2013, 11:54 PM
Cruz IS Benedict Arnold.

:rolleyes:

KingNothing
05-04-2013, 11:57 PM

Cruz is against things like NDAA and the Patriot Act.

The bombastic nonsense around here is infuriating. It's OK to dislike a stance a politician may hold or a vote he may have cast. When you disagree with a politician's actions, it does not necessarily mean freaking treason is afoot

angelatc
05-05-2013, 04:22 AM
Yes, I don't know if it's treason since he hasn't promised us anything specifically. But I don't get a good vibe from him either, and his performance, (http://www.theamericanconservative.com/larison/getting-cozy-with-iran-and-other-lies/) complete with props, at the Hagel hearings isn't something I'm ready to forget.

Also Ron Paul's position: (http://www.theamericanconservative.com/ron-paul-rebukes-ted-cruz-we-ought-to-be-cheering-someone-whos-more-cautious-about-going-to-war/)

Paul also briefly mentioned on the nomination battle over Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel:

We’ve had this big argument, just the last couple of weeks, with the confirmation of Hagel and Kerry. Hagel, of course, is a Republican. He said some things similar to what I’ve just got done saying, that maybe we shouldn’t go [to war] so fast, maybe we should be cautious. Who piled on him? It was the Republicans who piled on him. ‘Don’t talk like that, don’t talk like a wimp! We don’t want you in there!’ … These two guys actually went to war and were wounded and won medals. And who’s jumping on them? People who have never even served in the military. This whole idea that you can challenge someone’s patriotism because they happen to take a position that is slightly less anxious to go to war … we ought to be cheering someone who’s more cautious about going to war.