PDA

View Full Version : Tom Davis tweets re collateral damage strike from drones of Yemani cleric who had risked l

sailingaway
05-03-2013, 06:33 PM
risked life to counsel against getting involved with Al Queda:

Tom Davis
‏@senatortomdavis
Reading this morning about the collateral-damage killing by a US drone of a Yemeni cleric who had risked his life... http://fb.me/2rbQEOxN6
https://twitter.com/senatortomdavis/status/330405047307481088

from link:

The cleric preached in his tiny Yemeni village about the evils of al-Qaida, warning residents to stay away from the group's fighters and their hard-line ideology. The talk worried residents, who feared it would bring retaliation from the militants, and even the cleric's father wanted him to stop.

But in the end it wasn't al-Qaida that killed Sheik Salem Ahmed bin Ali Jaber.

Al-Qaida fighters, who hide in mountain strongholds near the remote eastern village of Khashamir, did call him out, demanding he meet them one night – apparently to intimidate him into stopping his sermons against them.

Sheik Salem felt he had no choice but to meet them, but a cousin who was in the police insisted on accompanying him as protection, according to the cleric's brother-in-law, Faysal bin Ali bin Jaber, who recounted the events to The Associated Press.

"Once they arrived to the car where al-Qaida was, four missiles hit," Faysal said. At home in the village, he heard the blasts – and heard the U.S. drone that struck the cars. "We know the buzzing sound of the drones overhead," he said.

Yemeni security officials confirmed three militants, along with Sheik Salem and his cousin were killed in the strike last August and that it was carried out by an American drone.

one count I've seen says 50:1 collateral damage to target strike from drones.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/02/us-drone-strikes-in-yemen_n_3203108.html

Carson
05-03-2013, 06:41 PM
Makes me wonder who the main target was and how they acquired the target location.

bolil
05-03-2013, 06:45 PM
Bullshit "the car where alqaida was"

Probably wasn't even a car. Basically, clerics such as this man are dangerous to the status-quo because they might be the harbingers of peace. Can't have peace, peace doesn't pay.

Can't have a muslim cleric going around doing things that muslim clerics are not supposed to do, that is advocate tolerance and moderation. Muslim clerics can only 'radicalize' and any who don't learn just why they call the floating aberration the 'predator'.

Fucking shit.

Warlord
05-05-2013, 06:40 AM
As you can imagine drones are very contentious in my region...

My sisters neighbor was hit by one last year. He only lived in a small hamlet on the outskirts of Shinwar. The missile was amazingly accurate and the villagers were upset as they lost a good worker and by all accounts a good man (no wife or kids)...

I asked my CIA contact what the hell happened and he assured me that the drone policy has nothing to do with the core CIA and is ran out of the White House by some crazed guy named Brennan. I managed to extract $75k compensation for his parents which was split with some elders in the village (minus usual 12%).

We never found out how he came to be labeled a terrorist.

Warlord
05-05-2013, 09:09 AM
'Don't drone be bro!'

I really want that on a t-shirt and think it could be a good seller for the now liberated kids.

They wear all sorts of stuff nowadays not like the rags they had to wear under the Taliban! Most of the gear of course comes straight from the sweatshops of Bangladesh via our friends in Pakistan. They make them hella cheap and a reasonable premium can be charged even for a local Afghani kid who hardly has a few bucks to his name so we must not complain.

surf
05-05-2013, 09:55 AM
"don't drone me bro" is better than a 49ers Super Bowl Champs shirt (or OKC Thunder one).

edit: thanks for the stories, Warlord. I can't afford this shit.

Warlord
05-05-2013, 10:16 AM
Thanks for the rep surf I hope you enjoy my Sunday tales! :) Better than reading the boring newspaper ain't it ?

Carson
05-05-2013, 10:32 AM
'Don't drone be bro!'

I really want that on a t-shirt and think it could be a good seller for the now liberated kids.

They wear all sorts of stuff nowadays not like the rags they had to wear under the Taliban! Most of the gear of course comes straight from the sweatshops of Bangladesh via our friends in Pakistan. They make them hella cheap and a reasonable premium can be charged even for a local Afghani kid who hardly has a few bucks to his name so we must not complain.

Welcome to the message boards Warlord.

Warlord
05-05-2013, 10:49 AM
Thank you Carson. If you enjoy hearing my varied stories then please boost my rep :-)