PDA

View Full Version : Liberty Univ. Offers Scholarship to Eagle Scout Facing Gun Charges

Origanalist
05-03-2013, 06:08 PM
http://media.townhall.com/townhall/reu/ha/2007/137/2007-05-17T191100Z_01_WAS707_RTRIDSP_0_USA-FALWELL.jpg

A North Carolina Eagle Scout who was expelled and arrested for accidentally leaving a shotgun in his pickup truck in the school parking lot has been offered a scholarship to attend Liberty University.

Cole Withrow was just a few weeks from graduating with honors from Princeton High School when he was arrested on Monday and slapped with a felony weapons charge. Withrow had been skeet shooting with friends a day before and had only noticed he had left his shotgun in his truck as he reached to grab his book bag.

When he realized his mistake, he went to the front office and called his mother. An administrator overheard the conversation and called police.

Withrow’s story has generated national attention. Hundreds of people have joined a Facebook community to show their support. And many local parents are upset over what many believe is a case of a young man getting severely punished for trying to do the right thing.

“You teach your kids if you’re in trouble or if you see you’ve done something wrong, go ahead and admit it,” family friend Kimberly Boykin said. “Be a man and it’ll be fixed. In this case, that’s what he did and he’s being punished for it. That’s not the lesson we need to teach our kids.”

Jerry Falwell, Jr., the chancellor of Liberty University, had been traveling through North Carolina and saw a local television news account of Withrow’s ordeal. He also noticed that the 18-year-old was wearing a “Liberty University” t-shirt.

Falwell told Fox News that he made a few calls and discovered that Withrow’s sister is a Liberty graduate.

“I was really impressed with what a meek and humble Christian kid he is,” Falwell said. “I thought he would be a perfect fit at Liberty.”

So the chancellor made the 18-year-old an offer he couldn’t refuse.

“I told him that we would give him whatever scholarships he needed to attend Liberty University,” he said.

Falwell said the university is willing to do whatever it takes to make sure the teenager gets a college education.

“The anti-gun zealots seem to be vilifying him for making an honest mistake,” he told Fox News. “We want to reward him for trying to do the right thing.”

And that means even helping the young man finish his last few weeks of high school. Falwell said they offered to let him finish his high school work through their online academy.

Liberty University, located in Lynchburg, Va., is the world’s largest Christian university with nearly 100,000 students. The chancellor said he’s been flooded with messages of support for Withrow from the Liberty community.

“It’s something our whole university feels good about,” he said.

http://townhall.com/columnists/toddstarnes/2013/05/02/liberty-univ-offers-scholarship-to-eagle-scout-facing-gun-charges-n1585573

jkr
05-03-2013, 06:24 PM
g00d!

WhistlinDave
05-03-2013, 06:26 PM
Very awesome!!

Anti Federalist
05-03-2013, 06:33 PM
While applaud the offer, better to get him some good legal rep.

A scholarship won't do him any good rotting away in the gulag.

bolil
05-03-2013, 06:41 PM
Damn, AF, but you are right, but damn.

tod evans
05-03-2013, 08:01 PM
Kudos to Liberty U!

Christian Liberty
05-03-2013, 08:25 PM
Considering what I know of Falwell's father, I just hope Liberty doesn't indoctrinate him. Good on them in an case (I don't know much about Liberty, I just know about Jerry Falwell Sr. and about how many mainstream [Not necessarily state-obsessed, but certainly Christian statists] Christian not-libertarians I know that like the school.

Good for him and good luck. RPF has the most reasonable moderation I've seen anywhere, but they aren't going to let me (And understandably so) say what I want to say against whoever dares to arrest this kid or prosecute him. Let me just leave you with that, act accordingly and at your own risk...

AFPVet
05-03-2013, 08:48 PM
Honestly, I think this kid is going to be alright. DAs and prosecutors are elected officers. They know what bad PR can do to their re-election campaigns.... I think they'll give this kid an out.

Henry Rogue
05-03-2013, 09:04 PM
There really is no common sense with these indoctrinated people anymore. The person who overheard his conversation with his Mother, could have made a judgment call, but the "no tolerance", "see something say something", crowd can't except the responsibility of thinking for themselves.