PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Majority of Democrats Are Willing to Part With Some Civil Liberties for Security

Lucille
05-03-2013, 01:53 PM
http://reason.com/blog/2013/05/03/cnntimeorc-majority-of-democrats-are-wil

The latest CNN/Time/ORC poll found only four in ten Americans are willing to give up some civil liberties in efforts to curb terrorism in the United States. Interestingly while a majority of Independents (56 percent) say they are unwilling to give up some civil liberties for security, a majority of Democrats (51 percent) say they are willing. Republicans are split, with 46 percent who agree with Independents and are unwilling to curtail civil liberties in efforts to curb terrorism, while 41 percent say they would be willing.

Older Americans over 50 are significantly more likely than younger Americans to be willing to part with some civil liberties for security. Fifty-seven percent of Americans under 50 say they are unwilling to give up some civil liberties if that were necessary to curb terrorism in the US. In contrast 38 percent of Americans over 50 agree.

http://cloudfront-media.reason.com/mc/eekins/2013_05/cnnpoll/chartCNNpoll.jpg?h=325&w=250

green73
05-03-2013, 01:55 PM
Shocking.

lib3rtarian
05-03-2013, 02:17 PM
Nothing shocking about this. Democrats = worship of state power.

Anti Federalist
05-03-2013, 02:24 PM
Nothing shocking about this. Democrats = worship of state power.

No, just the "Blue Team" being in office.

These numbers were reversed under W.

My dictator is benevolent and wise.

Your dictator is bloodthirtsy tyrant.

lib3rtarian
05-03-2013, 02:27 PM

Yes, I guess you are right.

sailingaway
05-03-2013, 02:39 PM
But most Americans are not, by the same poll. Just Dems.

sailingaway
05-03-2013, 02:39 PM

this. Under Bush the Patriot act was awful. Now, not so much, and NDAA? Meh.... (not for all Dems but for a majority, apparently.)

paulbot24
05-03-2013, 03:06 PM
If they say a huge majority of Americans like chicken soup, does this make you want to go out and get a can of chicken soup? We should start a twitter and FB campaign. We can interview a few people we know that agree with us and keep tweeting "Shocking poll: More Americans fear the loss of their liberties than terrorist attacks." Just keep hammering and tweeting it until it is so. We win either way. Many people would believe it and start parroting it to their friends, which would help our cause. Many others would be suspicious of it, actually research the poll, and perhaps find out a thing or two about liberty before finding out it was a stunt. Still others would just get angry after finding out it was a publicity stunt, but we still win because it would make people question the reliability and relevance of the polls they read about in the future. Fight fire with fire. This could be fun.

P.S. This is not a poke at Reason. Their publication is awesome.

Lucille
05-03-2013, 03:12 PM
I believe you are absolutely, AF! Partisanship (http://www.theamericanconservative.com/larison/the-sources-of-partisan-bias/) is one of the things that is destroying this country.

Love that idea, Paulbot!

jkr
05-03-2013, 03:28 PM
then let THEM give up THEIRS

LEAVE
ME
ALONE

Anti Federalist
05-03-2013, 03:31 PM
Of course, two things go without saying:

1 - There are precious few "civil liberties" left to give up, even if one wanted to.

2 - Give them all up, go ahead, it still won't keep you totally "secure".

paulbot24
05-03-2013, 03:38 PM

My dictator killed the man that tried to murder his father.

My dictator has an entire kill list.

My dictator prays to God every morning asking for guidance.

My dictator doesn't need a god for guidance is God.

affa
05-03-2013, 03:39 PM

This is exactly it. Under Bush, many Republican's were cheering on anything he wanted to do, while Dems were bemoaning it. Now it's reversed, even for some of the same exact issues, and it's all about who is in charge.

Thankfully, there are some that see past all that.

HOLLYWOOD
05-03-2013, 03:55 PM
How "Marxist" of Liberals/Progressives/Communists Of course Team RED has the Neocons/Ultra Fascists to counter with even more security state.

Stop dickin around and just bring back the Soviet Union and WARSAW Pact security state apparatus... they you'll have ALL THE SECURITY you ever desire.