PDA

View Full Version : HS Track Team Disqualified When Runner Gestures Thanks to God

green73
05-03-2013, 01:16 PM
The Columbus High School Mighty Cardinals had won the 4x100-meter relay--by seven yards, no less--and had a shot at the state championship. That was until Junior sprinter Derrick Hayes pointed to the sky. Hayes's father, K.C., said that his son made a gesture of thanks to God, but raising a hand to the sky is considered excessive celebration according to the state scholastic rules. And with that, the team was disqualified.

"It was a reaction," K.C. Hayes said. "You're brought up your whole life that God gives you good things, you're blessed."

Many interviewed around town said that this was a violation of freedom of religion rights. Columbus High School said that religious gestures are not banned, but they must be done off of the competition field or court.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/05/03/track-team-disqualified-for-religious-gesture

Yieu
05-03-2013, 01:18 PM
Columbus High School said that religious gestures are not banned, but they must be done off of the competition field or court.

In other words, they are banned on the competition field or court. How can they possibly reason to themselves that equals "not banned"?

It's not banned, you just can't do it.

UtahApocalypse
05-03-2013, 01:33 PM
"hey look a plane"

Still disqualified?

AGRP
05-03-2013, 01:39 PM
raising a hand to the sky is considered excessive celebration according to the state scholastic rules. And with that, the team was disqualified.

Sports is excessive celebration. This is no different than penalizing a singer or dancer for being too expressive.

Petar
05-03-2013, 01:44 PM
Organized sports are designed to take all of the fun out of any particular game.

Philhelm
05-03-2013, 02:00 PM
"hey look a plane"

Still disqualified?

Depends. Is it flying into a skyscraper?

Warrior_of_Freedom
05-03-2013, 04:17 PM
The idiot that disqualified him deserves to be fucked in the ass. No, seriously.

paulbot24
05-03-2013, 04:26 PM
The idiot that disqualified him deserves to be fucked in the ass. No, seriously.

He'll get his. I'm sure he'll be attempting to board a plane soon enough. "Say hello to Mr. Freedom Wand. Just a routine inspection."

RockEnds
05-03-2013, 04:38 PM
So is falling to your knees after winning the 4x800 also a disqualifying religious act? I really loved track meets when my boys were teenagers. I'm so glad things weren't this ridiculous then.

Warrior_of_Freedom
05-03-2013, 05:10 PM
I hope they fight this, sue based on religious discrimination or something. If I won an important event and some turd said I'm disqualified for being happy that I won, he'd be begging God for help after I'm done with him.

paulbot24
05-03-2013, 05:16 PM
No excessive celebrating! Now everybody pat everybody else on the butt and congratulate each other because you're all winners! How candyass.

SkepticalMetal
05-03-2013, 05:17 PM
Typical school schlock.

Natural Citizen
05-03-2013, 05:17 PM
Hm. I see high school players make the same gestures during at bats at baseball games all of the time. The team even prays before every high school game. Nobody seems to have an issue with it. Parents, staff, recruiters all are usually in attendance. Heck, they even circle the mound with captains in the middle on the rubber and pray once in a while at the end of the game. This initself could be considered a symbolic gesture but still no gripes.

Bruno
05-03-2013, 05:20 PM

Wow. Talk about over reacting and punishment not matching the crime.

AGRP
05-03-2013, 05:30 PM
Hm. I see high school players make the same gestures during at bats at baseball games all of the time. The team even prays before every high school game. Nobody seems to have an issue with it. Parents, staff, recruiters all are usually in attendance. Heck, they even circle the mound with captains in the middle on the rubber and pray once in a while at the end of the game. This initself could be considered a symbolic gesture but still no gripes.

Sport = Expression

A team could express themselves as buddhists, atheists, or barbie girls if they wanted.

Curbing expression in sports is like using emotions to solve math equations.

paulbot24
05-03-2013, 05:36 PM
Curbing expression in sports is like using emotions to solve math equations.

Does this count?

http://qph.is.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-66c6763c4db7a12c7f1afa87bd560d8c

jmdrake
05-03-2013, 05:36 PM
So is falling to your knees after winning the 4x800 also a disqualifying religious act? I really loved track meets when my boys were teenagers. I'm so glad things weren't this ridiculous then.

I guess if you fall on your knees and kiss an image in honor of statism that will be okay.

jmdrake
05-03-2013, 05:37 PM
Does this count?

http://qph.is.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-66c6763c4db7a12c7f1afa87bd560d8c

LOL Good stuff!

Carson
05-03-2013, 06:06 PM
Isn't the separation of religion and the state suppose to protect you from this kind of abuse?