PDA

View Full Version : Arizona governor vetoes bill making gold, silver legal tender

AmericasLastHope
05-02-2013, 10:50 PM
http://s1.reutersmedia.net/resources/r/?m=02&d=20130503&t=2&i=728218537&w=460&fh=&fw=&ll=&pl=&r=CBRE942053U00

(Reuters) - Arizona Governor Jan Brewer vetoed a measure on Thursday that would have made gold and silver legal tender in the state, saying the legislation could have resulted in lost tax revenue.

The Republican-controlled state legislature voted through the measure last month in a response to what backers said was a lack of confidence in the international monetary system.

The bill called for Arizona to make gold and silver coins and bullion legal tender beginning in mid-2014, joining existing U.S. currency issued by the federal government.

"While I believe the concern over a devalued dollar as a result of an unsustainable federal deficit is justified, I am unable to support this legislation," Brewer, a Republican, said in an open letter to state Senate President Andy Biggs.

Brewer noted that the "administrative and fiscal burdens" for taxpayers and the revenue department "remain vague." She also cited uncertainty over whether the legislation would have required the state to exempt transactions involving collectable coins and bills that were authorized by Congress and could be used as legal tender.

"This would result in lost revenue to the state, while giving businesses that buy and sell collectable coins or currency originally authorized by Congress an unfair tax advantage," she said.

The push to establish gold and silver as currency has become increasingly popular in the United States in recent years among some hardline fiscal conservatives, with the backing of groups including the Tea Party movement, American Principles Project and the Gold Standard Institute.

Senator Chester Crandell, a Republican and sponsor of the bill, previously said the ability to use gold and silver in everyday life in the state was still a "work in progress" and that more legislation was needed before it could be viable. He could not immediately be reached for comment.

Democratic state Senator Steve Farley, an opponent of the measure who had warned it could create massive problems for businesses and government officials trying to administer what would in effect be a dual monetary system, welcomed the veto.

"I was very pleased the governor showed the common sense to realize this was a terrible move for Arizona that would have caused incredible negative consequences at a government and business level," Farley told Reuters.

Had Brewer signed the measure, Arizona would have become the second state in the nation to establish the precious metals as legal tender. Utah approved such legislation in 2011.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/05/03/us-usa-arizona-gold-idUSBRE94202M20130503

sailingaway
05-02-2013, 10:52 PM
so despite the fact that the legislature passed such a 'tax decrease'.....

The Goat
05-02-2013, 10:57 PM
while giving businesses that buy and sell collectable coins or currency originally authorized by Congress an unfair tax advantage

Biggest BS reason I've ever heard.

heavenlyboy34
05-02-2013, 10:59 PM
For some reason she remains rather popular among self-proclaimed conservatives here in AZ.

supermario21
05-02-2013, 10:59 PM
Bad day for liberty.

PHOENIX (Reuters) - Arizona Governor Jan Brewer vetoed a measure on Thursday that would have made gold and silver legal tender in the state, saying the legislation could have resulted in lost tax revenue.
The Republican-controlled state legislature voted through the measure last month in a response to what backers said was a lack of confidence in the international monetary system.
The bill called for Arizona to make gold and silver coins and bullion legal tender beginning in mid-2014, joining existing U.S. currency issued by the federal government.
"While I believe the concern over a devalued dollar as a result of an unsustainable federal deficit is justified, I am unable to support this legislation," Brewer, a Republican, said in an open letter to state Senate President Andy Biggs.
Brewer noted that the "administrative and fiscal burdens" for taxpayers and the revenue department "remain vague." She also cited uncertainty over whether the legislation would have required the state to exempt transactions involving collectable coins and bills that were authorized by Congress and could be used as legal tender.
"This would result in lost revenue to the state, while giving businesses that buy and sell collectable coins or currency originally authorized by Congress an unfair tax advantage," she said.
The push to establish gold and silver as currency has become increasingly popular in the United States in recent years among some hardline fiscal conservatives, with the backing of groups including the Tea Party movement, American Principles Project and the Gold Standard Institute.
Senator Chester Crandell, a Republican and sponsor of the bill, previously said the ability to use gold and silver in everyday life in the state was still a "work in progress" and that more legislation was needed before it could be viable. He could not immediately be reached for comment.
Democratic state Senator Steve Farley, an opponent of the measure who had warned it could create massive problems for businesses and government officials trying to administer what would in effect be a dual monetary system, welcomed the veto.
"I was very pleased the governor showed the common sense to realize this was a terrible move for Arizona that would have caused incredible negative consequences at a government and business level," Farley told Reuters.
Had Brewer signed the measure, Arizona would have become the second state in the nation to establish the precious metals as legal tender. Utah approved such legislation in 2011.

TheTexan
05-02-2013, 11:02 PM
Cunt bitch

jclay2
05-02-2013, 11:07 PM
Score one for the bankers.

Cleaner44
05-02-2013, 11:17 PM

Gee... we sure wouldn't want that to happen would we? Obviously the state's needs for revenue supersedes that of the citizens. Well done my conservative governor.

Stupid bitch.

ClydeCoulter
05-02-2013, 11:27 PM
Does the legislature have the authority to override, and do they have the numbers?

fr33
05-02-2013, 11:28 PM
When she pointed her finger at Obama it was because she agreed with him.

tsai3904
05-02-2013, 11:46 PM
Does the legislature have the authority to override, and do they have the numbers?

Veto override would need 2/3 vote in the House and Senate.

It passed with 62.1% in the House and 60.7% in the Senate.

J_White
05-03-2013, 02:50 AM

oh, so only the Federal Reserve and its buddy bankers should have unfair advantage, right ?

speciallyblend
05-03-2013, 06:20 AM
Hillary/Brewer 2016

ClydeCoulter
05-03-2013, 06:23 AM

Close, AZ needs to get active.

gwax23
05-03-2013, 06:26 AM

Thats not that bad. A Override is certainly possible.

Bern
05-03-2013, 06:43 AM
Her reasoning is weak. Very weak. She sounds like a spineless squishy. Probably right at home with Arizona's resident squishy Senator.

Lucille
05-03-2013, 08:23 AM
Anyone who thought she'd sign that into law doesn't know Jan.

tod evans
05-03-2013, 08:47 AM
Was she backing down or bending over?

DamianTV
05-03-2013, 09:27 AM
How the hell can that even be legal when the Constitution explicitly says nothing BUT Gold and Silver...?

ctiger2
05-03-2013, 09:28 AM
Jan Brewer has revealed she is no friend of liberty.

SkepticalMetal
05-03-2013, 09:31 AM
Were any of you expecting anything different? Sort of like people who really thought Ron Paul had a chance at the White House.

jkr
05-03-2013, 09:58 AM
charge her with TREASON

enjerth
05-03-2013, 10:04 AM
Biggest BS reason I've ever heard.

Oh, come on. She made two very good points.
1) We all lose a little bit.
2) There are select individuals who, by no right of their own, will prosper from it.
That means that the legislation is no good at all. The demerits of it's side effects are monstrous. No?

ninepointfive
05-03-2013, 10:11 AM
Her reasoning is weak. Very weak. She sounds like a spineless squishy. Probably right at home with Arizona's resident squishy Senator.

yeah, she's a squish

AGRP
05-03-2013, 10:11 AM
The Queen has spoken. Obey her orders peasants.

Nirvikalpa
05-03-2013, 10:20 AM
Of all the horrible things male politicians have done... I don't think I've ever seen this type of angry (sexist) hostility towards them. Bitch, cunt, really?

She's a fool for her reasoning, but that's as far as I will go with that.

ninepointfive
05-03-2013, 10:23 AM
Of all the horrible things male politicians have done... I don't think I've ever seen this type of angry (sexist) hostility towards them. Bitch, cunt, really?

How about squish? heheh

SkepticalMetal
05-03-2013, 10:26 AM

I wasn't going to say anything, but I agree with you. It's talking like this that fuels the notion that libertarians are all sexists/racists or whatever. Calling someone a "bitch" and a "cunt" is not going to do anything good for the promotion of liberty, nor does it make any sense whatsoever being that the majority of politicians who pass this crap are men.

Yieu
05-03-2013, 10:28 AM
Seems like this may be in part to spite libertarians, because gold and silver as legal tender is one of our big policy positions.

jllundqu
05-03-2013, 10:51 AM
For some reason she remains rather popular among self-proclaimed conservatives here in AZ.

I hate our Governor... truly

Keith and stuff
05-03-2013, 10:54 AM
That sucks. At least it is legal in UTah and NEw Hampshire. Basically, you just need a state without a sales tax or capital gains tax. It still violates federal law, though.

Keith and stuff
05-03-2013, 10:58 AM
Maybe you could set it up that when someone types 1 of those words, it appears as care bear or pony. That would be a way to improve the low reputation of this forum. Or you could directly edit the comments.

erowe1
05-03-2013, 11:03 AM
Republicans see a loss of tax revenue as a reason to veto a bill. So much so that they can just casually give that reason without a second thought and expect no one to notice.

That's something to remember, and remind people of.

HOLLYWOOD
05-03-2013, 11:14 AM
What BS nonsense... read that slick statement
Arizona Governor Jan Brewer vetoed a measure on Thursday that would have made gold and silver legal tender in the state, saying the legislation could have resulted in lost tax revenue.What everyone needs to realize, the party 'Alpha Designator' doesn't matter anymore. It's apparent these lawyered-up silver-tongue devil politicians, are just whores to big business and big government. You'll experience today, both parties sell the people out, doesn't matter whether it's at the Federal, State, or local levels. Graft, Fraud, Racketeering, Greed, Corruption continues

Greed, Money, and Taxation powers are the controls of Politicians. It's the 2 wings of the 'Party of One'

PS: All the social shit split between parties are just low costs memes to keep the serfs occupied, bickering at one another, while government steals money out of your pockets.

Seraphim
05-03-2013, 11:27 AM
If you're a tyrant you get called a f@ggot, cunt, slut, shit eating maggot.

Tyrants are tyrants. The men get called f@ggots (not to be confused with homosexual) and the women get called cunts. Fair is fair.

Try to ruin my life and hold me down as a peasant and I show no mercy.

It's not sexist to call a cunt a cunt.

TheTexan
05-03-2013, 11:32 AM

You're right, if it was a dude I wouldn't have used the word cunt, or bitch. Well, maybe "son of a bitch", but I probably would have used the word asshole. Or motherfucker.

Otherwise the hostility is still there regardless of the presence or absence of lady parts, I assure you.

fr33
05-03-2013, 11:32 AM

I'll believe your sincere when you express your feelings over the name calling directed at males on a daily basis.

jkr
05-03-2013, 11:38 AM
i like the word...

TRAITOR

...it just ROooLLLLs off the tounge

heavenlyboy34
05-03-2013, 01:17 PM
i like the word...

TRAITOR

...it just ROooLLLLs off the tounge
From the perspective of you and I and typical folks in the Liberty movement, that's good. Unfortunately, outside of our merry band of refuseniki, the booboisie just doesn't agree. There are some loud-mouthed people *ahem*Barry Young*ahem* who think that our pet issues-like free market money and secession-are kook/fringe and will not even engage the subject(s).

WhistlinDave
05-03-2013, 01:24 PM

I wasn't going to say anything, but I agree with you. It's talking like this that fuels the notion that libertarians are all sexists/racists or whatever. Calling someone a "bitch" and a "cunt" is not going to do anything good for the promotion of liberty, nor does it make any sense whatsoever being that the majority of politicians who pass this crap are men.

I agree... Would it be OK to just call her an asshole?

Also -- what is to stop people from using gold and/or silver in barter transactions? You may not be able to use it at the grocery store or to pay your water bill, but couldn't people still use PMs for private transactions, and/or with small business owners who were in agreement?

Keith and stuff
05-03-2013, 01:55 PM
Everyone that is upset about this is welcome to come to Porcfest 2013 (http://porcfest.com/) and use gold, silver, bitcoins or whatever they want as currency. It is perfectly legal according to NH laws (it's also legal in UT). You can even donate bitcoins to some of the libertarian politicians while you are at Porcfest. Of course, there aren't exactly a lot of police at Porcfest anyway :)

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/p480x480/482003_526657374044180_1300153216_n.jpg

http://sussexcountyangel.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/imag0779.jpg

SkepticalMetal
05-03-2013, 03:42 PM
I agree... Would it be OK to just call her an asshole?
Is this supposed to be sarcasm?

Lucille
05-04-2013, 09:51 AM
http://blog.tenthamendmentcenter.com/2013/05/jan-brewer-youre-fired/

Phoenix, AZ (May 2nd, 2013) – Governor Jan Brewer, or as she’s commonly being referred to as, “Federal Deputy Brewer” vetoed Arizona’s bill that would allow, but not mandate, businesses and the state government to accept payments in gold or silver. Currently all debts and taxes in Arizona and the rest of the United States are either paid with Federal Reserve Notes (dollars) which were authorized as legal tender by Congress, or with coins issued by the U.S. Treasury — very few of which have gold or silver in them.

What Federal Deputy Brewer fails to acknowledge is that, The United States Constitution states in Article I, Section 10, “No State shall… make any Thing but gold and silver Coin a Tender in Payment of Debts.” The Arizona Constitutional Tender Bill would’ve been a big step towards that constitutional requirement, which has been ignored for a long time in every state of the country. Disregarding the constitution is not a big surprise coming from the ALL show and no action, finger shaking Brewer!

Jan Brewer has a track record for not following the constitution! She is in favor of indefinite detention of American citizens, which she made clear last year by vetoing SB1182. She worked behind the scenes to block Arizona’s gun control nullification bill SB1112, while her conservative colleagues in Kansas, for an example, signed it into law. She’s currently in the middle of trying to get Arizona to participate in Obamacare’s medicaid expansion, which violates Article 27, Section 2 of the Arizona constitution. And now, by vetoing SB1439, our tyrannical state overlord is proving that not only is she a fan of the federal reserve, but her concern for our U.S. constitution and her own states’ economy is superseded by the directives given to her from her federal cronies up in D.C..

All these decisions that she’s been making are really starting to divide the Arizona republican party. The GOP is already a sinking ship, and Jan Brewer is at the helm of the USS Arizona. I’m beginning to think that when she attends her meetings, the opening discussion is something similar to, “do you guys have any ideas on how we can disenfranchise the entire state?” If Federal Deputy Brewer would spend as much time reading the constitution, as she does laying in her office tanning bed, she would be a constitutional scholar!

A lot of good constitutional bills were killed this past legislation session. From drone usage to anti-NDAA and anti-Agenda 21, the mood at the capitol is that unless Brewer gets her medicaid expansion passed, there’s a good chance she’s going to veto everything else with any kind of substance. Her perception outside the state might still be that she’s a statesman/woman, but nothing could be further from the truth and her recent decisions have really solidified this position within the state. She continues to make it very difficult for Arizona to retain it’s sovereignty. And with 4 years into her 2nd term, a lot of people are counting down the days until she’s out of office, including her Republican constituents.

Dear Jan,
You’re not wanted around here anymore. Get off our lawn, you puppet politician!

oyarde
05-04-2013, 11:39 AM
I do not understand the reason she gave as being valid , what am I missing ?

Keith and stuff
05-04-2013, 04:01 PM
I do not understand the reason she gave as being valid , what am I missing ?
It is valid. AZ makes money by taxing gold and silver. If the tax is removed, the state might make less money. What UT did was remove taxes on gold and silver so that it was like NH. This bill would have done something similar in AZ.

Christian Liberty
05-04-2013, 04:15 PM
Taking away money from tyrants is a virtue. The Federal level is of course the very best place to do this, but unless/until the state leaders are fighting against the Federal tyrant, they are still tyrants and taking money from them is also a virtue.

RickyJ
05-04-2013, 04:26 PM
She knows who her real bosses are, and they are not the citizens of Arizona.

oyarde
05-04-2013, 04:47 PM
It is valid. AZ makes money by taxing gold and silver. If the tax is removed, the state might make less money. What UT did was remove taxes on gold and silver so that it was like NH. This bill would have done something similar in AZ.

So sales tax ?

Keith and stuff
05-04-2013, 05:10 PM
So sales tax ?
Yes.
In addition, if a state has a capital gains tax, it would also apply to silver and gold. So such a law would also have to remove that.
UT has a 7% capital gains tax, though gold is now excluded. AZ has a 5% capital gains tax.
http://www.thereibrain.com/realestate-blog/2007/10/capital-gains-tax-rates-state-by-state/