PDA

View Full Version : High school student faces 20 years in prison for Facebook messages

sailingaway
05-02-2013, 03:12 PM
You could say he's being punished for terminal stupidity, but since when does that get 20 years in prison?

http://rt.com/usa/methuen-facebook-terrorism-threat-740/

Christian Liberty
05-02-2013, 03:16 PM
To me a threat has to be deliberately communicated to a particular person to be a violation of the NAP. A generic "I'm going to kill people", while idiotic, isn't really good enough for me.

sailingaway
05-02-2013, 03:18 PM
To me a threat has to be deliberately communicated to a particular person to be a violation of the NAP. A generic "I'm going to kill people", while idiotic, isn't really good enough for me.

It might in appropriate circumstances give reason to look further, but it sure shouldn't support a criminal charge.

Warrior_of_Freedom
05-02-2013, 03:21 PM
take away his wigger license

newbitech
05-02-2013, 03:37 PM
how ironic, this kid seems nothing like a terrorist, yet he's going to be punished for the marathon bombings as if he was an associate to the perp. The feds had all that crap on the guys that really did the damage, yet because no one "alerted them" to some nonsense facebook post, they pulled it off.

Feds are totally backwards on this, its rather disgusting.

James Madison
05-02-2013, 03:40 PM
Superintendent of Schools Judy Scannell told the local Valley Patriot that the school is grateful that one of the students knew to speak up about the messages. “Once again we have to commend the Methuen High School Student who came forward, we always say, if you see something, say something, and that’s what this student did," Scannell said.

And some people still insist your neighbors won't turn you in.

Kid sounds like an idiot. Upper middle-class suburban wannabe 'gansta rapper'. He's just imitating the stuff he listens to. Pick any mainstream rap song, and you'll hear far worse than what he posted. Of course, it's probably the same rappers that perform at White House functions.

sailingaway
05-02-2013, 03:43 PM
how ironic, this kid seems nothing like a terrorist, yet he's going to be punished for the marathon bombings as if he was an associate to the perp. The feds had all that crap on the guys that really did the damage, yet because no one "alerted them" to some nonsense facebook post, they pulled it off.

Feds are totally backwards on this, its rather disgusting.

another good point.

Warrior_of_Freedom
05-02-2013, 03:45 PM
lol I just noticed in his picture he's holding a bunch of change. 1's, 5's, 10's

dannno
05-02-2013, 03:51 PM
“Once again we have to commend the Methuen High School Student who came forward, we always say, if you see something, say something, and that’s what this student did," Scannell said. "We also want to commend the school safety officers and the administration for bringing this to our attention immediately. Threats of this kind of violence is unacceptable and will not be tolerated, not in Methuen they won’t.”

I'll just put this here.

Anti Federalist
05-02-2013, 03:54 PM
lol I just noticed in his picture he's holding a bunch of change. 1's, 5's, 10's

Da thug life chose him...

jclay2
05-02-2013, 03:57 PM
It looks like this guy was the understudy for...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N72BAg7cYyY

Warrior_of_Freedom
05-02-2013, 04:02 PM
Da thug life chose him...

dat lunch money, son

Warrior_of_Freedom
05-02-2013, 04:03 PM
It looks like this guy was the understudy for...

LOOL I need to watch this movie again

Spikender
05-02-2013, 04:07 PM
Wow, I thought the messages were worse than that.

One million dollars bail. I guess excessive bail does not apply anymore? Then again, I've seen that just about all the time, so I shouldn't be surprised.

In the end, the guy said something that a light, non-gangsta rapper would be comfortable saying. This is ridiculous. I guess the more rich, famous, and powerful you are, the more free speech you have. Oh well.

James Madison
05-02-2013, 04:11 PM
In the end, the guy said something that a light, non-gangsta rapper would be comfortable saying. This is ridiculous. I guess the more rich, famous, and powerful you are, the more free speech you have. Oh well.

I believe Eminem had a verse with the line:

I don't rap for dead presidents. I'd rather see the president dead, it's never been said, but I set precedents.

Of course, this was during the Bush years.

Zippyjuan
05-02-2013, 04:16 PM
Guess he has also threatened to kill his sister.
http://bostonherald.com/news_opinion/local_coverage/2013/05/teen_methuen_rapper_held_without_bail_for_facebook _bomb_threat

D’Ambrosio was charged last year with threatening to stab his sister to death. The case was dismissed last month.

“I’m not in reality, So when u see me (expletive) go insane and make the news, the paper, and the (expletive) federal house of horror known as the white house, Don’t (expletive) cry or be worried because all YOU people (expletive) caused this (expletive),” read the social media posting that raised alarms with high school assistant Principal James Weymouth when another student called it to his attention.

“(Expletive) a boston bominb wait till u see the (expletive) I do, I’ma be famous rapping, and beat every murder charge that comes across me!”

Sounds like he was just some kid trying to come across as a tough guy. He described his Rapper image as his "alter ego".

fr33
05-02-2013, 04:16 PM

he strugglin

Warrior_of_Freedom
05-02-2013, 04:20 PM
So is freedom of speech officially dead when you can get arrested just for simply saying vague threats in song? Is there any statistics showing how many people make vague threats then follow through?

sailingaway

He's a kid, trying to be a big deal.

QuickZ06
he strugglin

Baller on a budget, rough economy yo!

Christian Liberty
05-02-2013, 04:26 PM
Of course, Obama has murdered thousands of times more people than a mere mundane is capable of. I saw something, where do I say something?

See something, say something is so idiotic. I remember being in the Orient Point dock about to take the ferry to Connecticut and read the entire Coast Guard list of things to report on the wall. Not a single one was anything that is actually a threat to anyone. I mentioned this to my uncle on the other side and he said something like "Well, people who do those things often also commit terrorism" or some such. If I had thought of it at the time I would have mentioned how peeople who take the Presidential oath of office have a pretty darn high track record for committing terrorism, but nobody says anything about that. Too bad I didn't think of it.

newbitech
05-02-2013, 04:40 PM
a quick perusal of his Facebook page shows D’Ambrosio’s unusual interest in gangs, violence and a criminal lifestyle

as opposed to the usual interest in gangs, violence and a criminal lifestyle which would have been completely acceptable.

James Madison
05-02-2013, 04:43 PM
a quick perusal of his Facebook page shows D’Ambrosio’s unusual interest in gangs, violence and a criminal lifestyle

as opposed to the usual interest in gangs, violence and a criminal lifestyle which would have been completely acceptable.

So, in other words, government? Or maybe the police?

jmdrake
05-02-2013, 04:50 PM
take away his wigger license

Yeah. That's an appropriate punishment for such a horridly bad rap.

jmdrake
05-02-2013, 04:52 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OOgMCw3VBk

Spikender
05-02-2013, 04:54 PM

I disagree with Eminem, I'm pretty sure plenty of people said they wanted the President dead before him.

Regardless, this guy was posturing and everybody knows it. This is ridiculous. I personally don't care for people who are into the whole thug life and gang culture thing, but most of them aren't serious about it and just want the image and not the hell that comes with it. The kid was just talking crap, this is ridiculous. Next thing you know, a six year old is going to trace a duck for a stamp contest and be accused of plagiarism.

jmdrake
05-02-2013, 04:57 PM
I disagree with Eminem, I'm pretty sure plenty of people said they wanted the President dead before him.

Hey...that kinda rhymes. Can I be your agent?

Regardless, this guy was posturing and everybody knows it. This is ridiculous. I personally don't care for people who are into the whole thug life and gang culture thing, but most of them aren't serious about it and just want the image and not the hell that comes with it. The kid was just talking crap, this is ridiculous. Next thing you know, a six year old is going to trace a duck for a stamp contest and be accused of plagiarism.

Don't give em any ideas! We already have six hear olds catching it for eating their sandwich into the shape of a gun.

Spikender
05-02-2013, 05:01 PM
Hey...that kinda rhymes. Can I be your agent?

Don't give em any ideas! We already have six hear olds catching it for eating their sandwich into the shape of a gun.

Emimen isn't fresh, he ain't original y'all, he stole all my lyrics, so I stole both of his balls.

That's right, rhymes fresher than apples plucked off the tree, son. Be my agent, and I guarantee we'll be worth a billi-on.

And come on, everyone knows the sandwich gun is one of the most gangsta guns of all time. The kid was just practicing for his future life as a drug runner.

better-dead-than-fed
05-02-2013, 05:01 PM
Guess he has also threatened to kill his sister.

http://bostonherald.com/news_opinion/local_coverage/2013/05/teen_methuen_rapper_held_without_bail_for_facebook _bomb_threat:

D’Ambrosio was charged last year with threatening to stab his sister to death. The case was dismissed last month.

http://rt.com/usa/methuen-facebook-terrorism-threat-740/:

Methuen Police Chief Joe Solomon told the Valley Patriot on Wednesday ... that the student “did not make a specific threat against the school or any particular individuals,” ...

Virginia v. Black, 538 US 343 - Supreme Court 2003 (http://scholar.google.com/scholar_case?case=2729037874515332053&q=fogel&hl=en&as_sdt=4,114,129):

"True threats" encompass those statements where the speaker means to communicate a serious expression of an intent to commit an act of unlawful violence to a particular individual or group of individuals.

HOLLYWOOD
05-02-2013, 05:03 PM
Rapin... and arrested

I presume 1000s of new warrants issued for all those gangsta rap songs/videos with lyrics of killing, huh?

Ahhh, just forget the warrants, arrest everybody under the unPATRIOT ACT and then let the serfs beg for freedom.

better-dead-than-fed
05-02-2013, 05:04 PM
Next thing you know, a six year old is going to trace a duck for a stamp contest and be accused of plagiarism.

How did the six year old become radicalized. That is what we should be asking ourselves.

anaconda
05-02-2013, 05:11 PM
When will the public finally just say "no" to the completely corny legal system and its bureaucrats? Everyday there is yet another story that should make everyone just laugh these people out of office and reduce the register of laws by magnitudes.

Kudos to Rand for writing his federal bullies book.

newbitech
05-02-2013, 05:14 PM
So, in other words, government? Or maybe the police?

or just actual gang members instead of poser high school kids going thru an identity crisis. But I suppose that would fit your description as well. I really can't stand how "news" devolved into being a perception shaping mechanism that is highly slanted towards "governing" views.

anaconda
05-02-2013, 05:15 PM
So is freedom of speech officially dead when you can get arrested just for simply saying vague threats in song? Is there any statistics showing how many people make vague threats then follow through?

Yes, freedom of speech is under great siege. And increasingly, people are unable to simply act with confidence, for fear that they may displease their government and be scrutinized and penalized in some way. They begin to turn to their government for permission and with a sense of helplessness. I think it's part of the game plan. I think I read that it's already been established that the average person breaks several laws with each passing minute. We are all in violation of something nearly all the time, and are therefore always enemies of the state. Jefferson would be gravely disappointed in us.

Spikender
05-02-2013, 05:23 PM
How did the six year old become radicalized. That is what we should be asking ourselves.

The Mighty Ducks.

Henry Rogue
05-02-2013, 05:49 PM
I didn't read all the posts so, sorry if this was already asked. Why did the cops steal his Xbox 360?

Spikender
05-02-2013, 06:14 PM
I didn't read all the posts so, sorry if this was already asked. Why did the cops steal his Xbox 360?

Dude, the new Gears of War game just came out.

They gotta get in on that tight gunplay, dawg.

Warrior_of_Freedom
05-02-2013, 07:24 PM
It was his terrorist training device. He was using it to learn how to use an ak47.

better-dead-than-fed
05-02-2013, 07:26 PM

When I got arrested for something very similar, the police stole my guns. At least it's maybe possible to post on Facebook via an Xbox, so they could claim probable cause to believe the Xbox would contain evidence the defendant actually transmitted what he's accused of transmitting. No way can you send an email using a gun though.

Boss
05-02-2013, 07:33 PM
I'm off-put by some of your posts mocking suburbanites-using-ghetto-slang. To me, it's as cringe worthy as the suburbanite genuinely using ghetto slang.

This case is regrettable though not surprising. I think we've learned a lot about the degree of statism in the Boston area over the last few weeks.

better-dead-than-fed
05-22-2013, 01:26 AM
Update, with petition: http://cms.fightforthefuture.org/teenager/

Weston White
05-22-2013, 02:08 AM
“Methuen Public Schools as well as the Methuen Police Department has zero tolerance for this behavior. We believe that all students deserve to learn in a welcoming, non-threatening environment free from intimidation and physical threats,”

Ahem, so what exactly does rambling posts on a social network have to do with the learning environments of others? Unless there is something way more to this story than simply his silly rapping posts then there is no case for anything here. Just some moron 18-year old that has publicly made a jackass of himself. Otherwise, why stop at dumb Facebook posts, we might as well just go lock up most all aggressive/hard-core musicians, motion picture actors, and writers while we are at it.

RickyJ
05-22-2013, 02:23 AM
Bostonians can sleep safer tonight because of the good work of the Methuen, MA police department. Bravo guys, well done!!! Another crazed terrorist taken off the streets, yay! I am moving to Boston, MA, those cops are the best! :rolleyes:

They are really good at shooting hundreds of rounds and missing a stationary 19 year old laying in a boat, scared to death. :D

Weston White
05-22-2013, 03:46 AM
Perhaps the best quotes from that Website's comments:

"Terrorist rap. The new genre."

"He should go to jail for rapping so terribly. Seriously, he has no lyrical skill."

"With his lawsuit winnings, he can start a record label. Hang in there kid, justice grinds slowly..."

"20 years for words! When they will they start to crusify ppl again?"

"The best thing to ever happen to this kids music career. They going to turn him into a reality show."

"On the brighter side, this should give the kid some new material, and beef up his street cred."

"I don't agree he should be facing 20 years. But I do think he deserves to get punched in the face."

"He's not a terrorist. He just wants to be like his rapper heroes: retarded, thoughtless and ignorant."

"Where are the Weathermen when you need them? Joking (maybe). It will come to that for liberty."

"Did anyone think he was serious? I'm going to break the blockade on Cuba. Now is the CIA coming?"

"Aaron swartz : faced 50yr 4 filesharing.
This kid : 20yr 4 threats.
Ruby Klokow : 10yrs for murder
?"

My top five favorites (descending):

"You can now be arrested for being stupid. How long till the US runs out of citizens to jail?"

"I think I'll quote the president on this one, 'The police acted stupidly.'"

"The control of terrorism, has become a form of terrorism in itself. Read 'Testament of Dr. Mabuse'."

"Apparently it's now illegal to be stupid. Seems like that ought to solve our problem in Congress."

"No one takes such a stupid kid seriously. But people do take a stupid government seriously."

And by chance does anybody known when that awful, awful terrorist (http://rapgenius.com/Ll-cool-j-mama-said-knock-you-out-lyrics#lyric) LL Cool J going to be served with an arrest warrant?

better-dead-than-fed
06-07-2013, 09:18 PM
http://blog.zap2it.com/pop2it/2013/06/facebook-terror-post-teen-rapper-released-from-jail-following-boston-bombings-threat.html

... has since been released. According to a court official, a grand jury would not indict the high school student....

Philhelm
06-07-2013, 10:17 PM
Meanwhile, actually shoving your penis into the mouth and/or anus of a five-year-old boy is perhaps a five year sentence (feds trying to protect themselves?). Hell, haven't there been actual murders with less than a 20 year sentence?

enhanced_deficit
06-07-2013, 11:18 PM
You could say he's being punished for terminal stupidity, but since when does that get 20 years in prison?

http://rt.com/usa/methuen-facebook-terrorism-threat-740/

Anyone recalls how many years in prison this "adult" had faced for his piece of work?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXXT9cDDgLw

DamianTV
06-08-2013, 02:30 AM
Freedom of Speech

Why is it there? Is it there so the thing that is said that we agree with be protected, or is it there so the thing that is unpopular be given as much right to be said in the first place?

satchelmcqueen
06-08-2013, 09:49 AM
seems to me the kid was posting song lyrics he wrote. whats wrong with that?

One Man Wolf Pack
06-10-2013, 10:38 AM
Damned if you do, damned if you dont...

If this idiot actually went out and shot people, everyone would be in an uproar, blaming the police and everyone involved for not doing anything earlier...

Just saying...

Working Poor
06-10-2013, 11:00 AM
Maybe his ADD meds have him strung a little too tight...

better-dead-than-fed
06-10-2013, 01:02 PM
Damned if you do, damned if you dont...

If this idiot actually went out and shot people, everyone would be in an uproar, blaming the police and everyone involved for not doing anything earlier...

So how should it have been handled? The grand jury should have indicted him, even though his speech was Constitutionally protected? Or what?

ObiRandKenobi
06-10-2013, 02:08 PM
Old-fashioned but I prefer to wait until somebody hurts people before we throw them in jail.

BlackTerrel
06-10-2013, 07:40 PM
“He posted a threat in the form of rap where he mentioned the White House, the Boston Marathon bombing and said, ‘everybody you will see what I am going to do, kill people,” Methuen Police Chief Joe Solomon told the Valley Patriot on Wednesday. “[H]e did threaten to kill a bunch of people and specifically mentioned the Boston Marathon and the White House. The threat was disturbing enough for us to act and I think our officers did the right thing.”

If they didn't arrest him and he ended up killing people everyone here would be claiming this as evidence of an inside job and how "they" wanted him to kill people.

You can't have it both ways. Either you arrest people for threats or you don't.

All that said this is dumb and I doubt the kid will actually go to jail. At least I hope he doesn't. There are a thousand other kids saying the same and worst and just weren't arrested because no one called the police.

better-dead-than-fed
06-10-2013, 08:28 PM
If they didn't arrest him and he ended up killing people everyone here would be claiming this as evidence of an inside job and how "they" wanted him to kill people.

You can't have it both ways. Either you arrest people for threats or you don't.

All that said this is dumb and I doubt the kid will actually go to jail. At least I hope he doesn't. There are a thousand other kids saying the same and worst and just weren't arrested because no one called the police.

His speech was not a "threat" (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?413096-High-school-student-faces-20-years-in-prison-for-Facebook-messages&p=5005624&viewfull=1#post5005624) under the law.

BlackTerrel
06-10-2013, 09:00 PM
His speech was not a "threat" (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?413096-High-school-student-faces-20-years-in-prison-for-Facebook-messages&p=5005624&viewfull=1#post5005624) under the law.

Let's be real here. If this guy wasn't arrested and ended up shooting a school how many posters on this forum would say "they" let him go because "they" wanted him to shoot up a school.

You can't criticize both sides of the issue. I sometimes feel people like to be contrarian for the sake of being contrarian. This is a complex issue - not black and white.

better-dead-than-fed
06-10-2013, 09:30 PM
... how many posters on this forum would say....

Not me.

thoughtomator
06-10-2013, 09:34 PM
I can't imagine any crime that could be committed through Facebook that would warrant a sentence of 20 years, unless of course you count what Facebook itself is doing.