PDA

View Full Version : NC - Loose "pit bull" shot by cops.

Anti Federalist
05-01-2013, 05:53 PM
As I've long suspected...that doesn't look like a "pt bull" to me.

Wilmington police shoot, kill dog during search for suspect

http://www.starnewsonline.com/article/20130501/ARTICLES/130509978?Title=Wilmington-police-shoot-kill-dog-during-search-for-suspect

http://i.imgur.com/9ncISwe.jpg

By Brian Freskos & F.T. Norton
Brian.Freskos@StarNewsOnline.com

Published: Wednesday, May 1, 2013 at 1:08 p.m.

Last Modified: Wednesday, May 1, 2013 at 1:08 p.m.

Wilmington police fatally shot a dog Tuesday night during a street-to-street search for a driver who reportedly fled when officers tried to pull him over, an official said.

Lucy Crockett, a spokeswoman for the Wilmington Police Department, said officers shot the unleashed dog after it tried to attack a police K-9 team involved in the search.

The incident began about 9:43 p.m. Tuesday when an officer ran a tag and the car's owner came back as having a suspended license. After the officer activated his blue lights, the driver pulled into a driveway in the 400 block of Evans Street, jumped out of the car and ran toward Clay Street, Crockett said.

Police set up a perimeter. A K-9 team tracked the suspect to nearby Maides Avenue, where it encountered the unrestrained dog.

The dog's breed was not immediately clear. Police reports describe it as a pit bull, however photographs provided to the StarNews suggest something else.

In any case, the dog, Crockett said in a media advisory, "went nose to nose with the K-9, as the handler tried to pull the K-9 away.

"Another officer tried to make the pit bull back off," she continued. "But the pit bull attacked the K-9, going first for his face and then trying to bite his throat." So an officer shot the dog to stop the attack.

The police department is reviewing this latest incident, a routine that unfolds any time police fire their guns.

A neighbor on Maides Avenue said the dog was "the friendliest dog in the neighborhood.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
05-01-2013, 07:33 PM
A neighbor on Maides Avenue said the dog was "the friendliest dog in the neighborhood.

And by the placement of the wound, it must have been running straight for the shooter. :rolleyes: