PDA

View Full Version : Man Charged With Obstruction Of Police for not rolling his window down all the way

libertyjam
04-30-2013, 06:01 PM
http://www.wjbf.com/story/22112891/man-charged-with-obstruction-of-police-officer-during-operation-thunder-stop

Vid @ link

Augusta, GA -

James Eades of Augusta is charged with obstruction of a police officer, stemming from an incident during Operation Thunder, but he says there is much more to the story than that.

Eades says that he and a friend were driving down Alexander Drive early Friday morning when they came to an Operation Thunder Checkpoint on River Watch Parkway. What happened during that stop lead to Eades getting arrested... and he says it's all because he didn't roll down his window all the way

"We saw what appeared to be an accident scene. A couple of police cars with blue lights, a car carrier and a couple of cars sitting around with no lights on," says Eades.

James Eades says he pulled a u-turn to avoid what could be a traffic delay, but as it turns out, the police presence wasn't from a car accident, it was actually an Operation Thunder checkpoint. So when officers saw Eades turning around, they went after him.

"When he turned his blue lights on I immediately pulled over to the side of the road, put my window down about halfway," says Eades.

Eades says the officer told him to roll down his window all the way. He says he didn't want to roll it down anymore than it already was, and that's when the officer told Eades he was obstructing his investigation.

"I think in this instance the guy didn't want to let the window down, didn't want to talk to the officer and didn't want to give him the information. So when you don't give the information you can be charged with obstruction on a traffic stop," says Lt. Amelio Lamkin of the Richmond County Sheriff's Office.

Eades says he was arrested and charged because he didn't roll a window down. He says he wasn't doing anything illegal, he was just protecting himself. But police say you have to cooperate with officers during traffic stops.

If you come to a road block, police say the best thing to do is to roll down your window all the way, put both of your hands on the steering wheel, and if you have to look inside of your glove box, make sure you let the officer know that before you do so.

Avoiding a road block is a big no-no and if you do so, you will be pulled over. Eades says Operation Thunder is nothing but an intimidation game in Richmond County.

"It's obviously to cite and arrest as many people as possible, and to raise as much revenue as possible," says Eades.

But the Sheriff's Office says it's about safety

"Our overall goal is to lower the number of crashes, lower the number of injuries and lower the number of fatalities in Richmond County," says Lamkin.

Eades says his bond was $1,300 and he says his court date is set for June 20th, where he will fight the charges.

As for the Richmond County Sheriff's Office, Operation Thunder will continue through May and as of right now, Lieutenant Lamkin says traffic fatalities are down 23%.

DGambler
04-30-2013, 07:03 PM
Fucking pigs.

VoluntaryAmerican
04-30-2013, 07:19 PM
And why does turning around to avoid a check-point mean you automatically get pulled over? What probable cause do they have?

Keith and stuff
04-30-2013, 07:45 PM
And why does turning around to avoid a check-point mean you automatically get pulled over? What probable cause do they have?
It depends on the state. In some states you aren't allowed to try to avoid such check points. If a cop sees you trying to... in other states it is perfectly legal. GA might be the worst state as it even has federally funded motorcycle checkpoints. Neighboring TN is also pretty bad as the TSA helps there.

TheTexan
04-30-2013, 07:53 PM
If you roll your window down, the cop might claim he "smelled alcohol." If you don't, you're "obstructing an investigation."

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

MikeStanart
04-30-2013, 08:35 PM
One of these days.....One of these days....

jclay2
04-30-2013, 08:38 PM
Officer Safety?

american.swan
04-30-2013, 08:41 PM
In South Korea, I drove up to many alcohol check points. Everyone has to blow into a meter that sounds if there is any alcohol. Once a car a few lanes over did a U-Turn into on coming traffic and sped away nearly causing an accident. I used to go through a check point leaving one jurisdiction and another check point going into another jurisdiction. Off all the multitude of times I went through those check points, I didn't have a drivers license at any of them. I was never questioned.

QuickZ06
04-30-2013, 09:17 PM
In South Korea, I drove up to many alcohol check points. Everyone has to blow into a meter that sounds if there is any alcohol. Once a car a few lanes over did a U-Turn into on coming traffic and sped away nearly causing an accident. I used to go through a check point leaving one jurisdiction and another check point going into another jurisdiction. Off all the multitude of times I went through those check points, I didn't have a drivers license at any of them. I was never questioned.

So you are telling me that you have less issues in your country when dealing with police at a checkpoint than we do here in free America? That definitely says something about our freedoms here doesn't it?

Anti Federalist
04-30-2013, 09:28 PM
If you roll your window down, the cop might claim he "smelled alcohol." If you don't, you're "obstructing an investigation."

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Or he will claim the smell of pot.

This goes here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc

Anti Federalist
04-30-2013, 09:29 PM
And, just WTF is "Operation Thunder"?

War Ops.

War names.

War uniforms.

War equipment.

War training.

War attitude.

War on Us.

aGameOfThrones
04-30-2013, 09:44 PM

War Ops.

War names.

War uniforms.

War equipment.

War training.

War attitude.

War on Us.

So it can go well with their next one,"Operation Lightning".

PaulConventionWV
04-30-2013, 10:24 PM
So you are telling me that you have less issues in your country when dealing with police at a checkpoint than we do here in free America? That defiantly says something about our freedoms here doesn't it?

Definitely is the word you're looking for. Defiantly means 'with defiance' as in, defying government power.

QuickZ06
04-30-2013, 10:28 PM
Definitely is the word you're looking for. Defiantly means 'with defiance' as in, defying government power.

Yeah what he said.

heavenlyboy34
04-30-2013, 10:56 PM

War Ops.

War names.

War uniforms.

War equipment.

War training.

War attitude.

War on Us.
That.^^ :( :mad: Those who have been paying attention to Sheriff Joe's shenanigans saw this a mile away.

fr33
04-30-2013, 11:11 PM
I hope that I never live where the thugs practice checkpoint tactics. I make it a point not to.

RickyJ
04-30-2013, 11:29 PM
Check points are stupid. They don't own the roads, taxpayers pay for them. Taxpayers pay their salaries too, they harass and piss off the people who make their livelihood possible. There is no way that can last, no way.

newbitech
04-30-2013, 11:37 PM
So it can go well with their next one,"Operation Lightning".

wouldn;t operation lightning come before operation thunder tho?

Weston White
04-30-2013, 11:38 PM
Michigan Department of State Police v. Sitz 496 U.S. 444 (1990): The U.S. Supreme Court allowed a road block set up to detect driving while impaired drivers. The Court set out a number of rules that are often not followed in North Carolina road blocks. In particular, the court stressed that the motorist should be allowed to make a u-turn as to avoid the road block if it seemed inconvenient to stop at that time.

In Florida v. Royer, 460 U.S. 491 (1983) it was held that police cannot hold someone without probable cause, and any evidence found during the detention is obtained illegally and may not be used as evidence, even if the person appears to agree to the search.

See also: City of Indianapolis v. Edmond, 531 U.S. 32 (2000)

And providing a helpful outline is of course Findlaw: http://traffic.findlaw.com/traffic-stops/can-the-police-set-up-roadblocks-for-any-reason-.html

mczerone
04-30-2013, 11:49 PM
What investigation was the officer conducting that a partially opened window was obstructing?

Did he have reasonable suspicion to extend that search to the unobstructed interior of Eades' vehicle?

If traffic safety was the concern, why the ticket against Eades - who was not alleged to be a dangerous driver?

Some activist needs to pull through a check-point and issue the officers a ticket for obstructing their peaceful activity.