PDA

View Full Version : Establishment Republicans warn: We can’t let immigration reform fail

Lucille
04-30-2013, 11:48 AM
I think it's hysterical that the GOP establishment thinks they'll gain even one vote with their reform, and amnesty won't relegate the GOP to permanent minority status.

h/t Establishment Republicans warn: We can’t let immigration reform fail
hxxp://hotair.com/headlines/archives/2013/04/30/establishment-republicans-warn-we-cant-let-immigration-reform-fail/

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mckaycoppins/republican-immigration-nightmare-could-recur

“We are really balanced here on a little precipice and if this, pardon the pun, goes south, we could be in very serious trouble,” said Republican media strategist Paul Wilson, citing the increasingly intense attacks on the immigration bill coming from the right. “If [the legislation] stalls or is killed off by conservatives, we could take the Hispanic community and turn them into the African-American community, where we get four percent on a good day… We could be a lost party for generations.”…

And as the battle on Capitol Hill wore on, the mood among reform advocates grew grim. Grover Norquist, a conservative leader and longtime immigration advocate, recalled attending strategy meetings with Barry Jackson, then a senior Bush advisor, where attendees tried to keep spirits up by means of delusion.

“It was like Hitler’s bunker, where you know you’re losing but you’re still like, ‘Here’s our counterattack!’” Norquist told BuzzFeed. “We tried to pretend like we could still win but we knew it wasn’t going to happen.”

The impending defeat was all the more frustrating for Norquist and his Republican allies because they could see how the battle was hurting their party’s image among Latinos. Norquist blamed Democrats for deliberately sinking the immigration effort in 2007, and said the GOP got unfairly saddled with the blame — but he allowed that conservatives in his party didn’t help their case.

Brian4Liberty
04-30-2013, 11:52 AM
US Chamber of Commerce. Second most powerful lobby in DC.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
04-30-2013, 01:06 PM
I think it's hysterical that the GOP establishment thinks they'll gain even one vote with their reform...

That's because it is.

Brian4Liberty
04-30-2013, 01:29 PM
How many Republicans did Reagan bring into the party with the last attempt at this amnesty experiment?

supermario21
04-30-2013, 01:34 PM
Someone tweeted this last night and I loved it...

Nevada Presidential Hispanic Vote:
Obama 76
McCain 22

Nevada Senate 2010 Hispanic Vote:

Reid 69
Angle 30

Yep, Sharron Angle, the same woman who called a class full of Hispanics Asians, outperformed John McCain...

Christian Liberty
04-30-2013, 03:10 PM
They probably will gain "A single vote"... but they may well lose more than they gain...

As for immigration reform, just don't let them vote, come to think of it, make it a requirement to know at least 5 Presidential candidates to be allowed to vote (Oh, and I'm usually a state's rights guy but the states that restrict third parties should be STRUCK DOWN/kicked out/whatever the crap it takes)

The Free Hornet
04-30-2013, 03:25 PM
I think it's hysterical that the GOP establishment thinks they'll gain even one vote with their reform, and amnesty won't relegate the GOP to permanent minority status.

Which is where they belong. That the Democrats belong there too is of little consequence. Based on voter turnout, there are plenty of votes out there just waiting to be scooped up. Blaming this or that on minorities/immigration is old and tiresome.

The GOP has no value proposition for the vast bulk of Americans.

Christian Liberty
04-30-2013, 03:52 PM
@Supermario- I'd take Obama over Mccain anyway. Then again, I'd take almost ANYONE over Mccain. He's one of the absolute worst...

James Madison
04-30-2013, 04:27 PM
They probably will gain "A single vote"... but they may well lose more than they gain...

As for immigration reform, just don't let them vote, come to think of it, make it a requirement to know at least 5 Presidential candidates to be allowed to vote (Oh, and I'm usually a state's rights guy but the states that restrict third parties should be STRUCK DOWN/kicked out/whatever the crap it takes)

Easiest way to remedy all of these things at once would be to adopt a Nebraska model nationally, with the winner of each congressional distruct receiving one electoral vote and the overall winner of the state receiving the two votes from the Senate.